When is it time to give up?
Old 1st March 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
When is it time to give up?

So this heading does sound rather bleak haha but anyways
So Ive made an album had meetings,had the same your gonna be big
only to be let down many many times.
Which isnt me saying big means good just saying what some heads said.

The thing is how long to you keep going..I mean the whole point I decided
to make a record myself was cos a meeting had with a major years ago

And I think its stating to depress me to be honest.
Im not one to give up but I think I need to be realistic
I love music but I think the rejection part can get to me


Sorry if this comes across as a rant
Old 1st March 2013
  #2
Gear addict
 

Stop trying to make it 'BIG'

Remember why you started making music in the first place.

Make music for the love of it, whatever else happens is a bonus.
Quote
3
Old 1st March 2013
  #3
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
So this heading does sound rather bleak haha but anyways
So Ive made an album had meetings,had the same your gonna be big
only to be let down many many times.

The thing is how long to you keep going..I mean the whole point I decided
to make a record myself was cos a meeting had with a major years ago

And I think its stating to depress me to be honest.
Im not one to give up but I think I need to be realistic even tho every
meeting I have is the same shit about one song or 2 being big

Sorry if this comes across as a rant
Are you making music because you love it? or because you want fame?
Old 1st March 2013
  #4
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
Stop trying to make it 'BIG'

Remember why you started making music in the first place.

Make music for the love of it, whatever else happens is a bonus.
you beat me to it!
Old 1st March 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
No I make music cos I love it
but I dont see why I shouldnt try to have a career
is that wrong or something?
Old 1st March 2013
  #6
Gear Head
Never give up, never surrender!
Old 1st March 2013
  #7
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
No I make music cos I love it
but I dont see why I shouldnt try to have a career
is that wrong or something?
You ofcourse should try to make a career but making it "BIG" is not a career.
Quote
2
Old 1st March 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Well the "Big" thing is not my words..I was re stating label jargon
Old 1st March 2013
  #9
Gear addict
 
NotchontheRocks's Avatar
 

Learn to give everything to the industry and take nothing. Making it "big" has more to do with promotion than actual talent. You'll have to spend 80% of your time promoting yourself and networking rather than making music.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
Old 1st March 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Im screwed I cant promote myself..really bad at it
Old 1st March 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
Im screwed I cant promote myself..really bad at it
If you have major labels meeting with you, you should be able to get representation. Shop your stuff around to the "major" indies as well.
Old 1st March 2013
  #12
Gear Head
 

Can we hear some of your stuff?

a) That will help a lot with understanding if you've "got the stuff" (however subjective that might be
b) I'm pumped that you have William Shatner's amazing Has Been album as your icon, so I wanna hear your stuff that much more!
Old 1st March 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Aint Nobody's Avatar
 

If you've got the goods and you just do it anyway and get it out there and push, push, push, PUSH... you won't need to be seeking meetings. They'll be seeking you.

Less than 1pct of musicians make it past the phase you're in right now. Almost everyone I know that isn't currently a musician used to play something at some point. Many of them cut an album many years ago.

It's just like anything in life. Women don't want a man who NEEDS them and can't live without them. They want a man who is going to be successful with or without them, but who CHOOSES to be with them.

Let's just say labels are quite a bit more fickle than that and even more determined to only settle on a sure thing.

It's true now more than ever. You've got to go out there and make it rain WITHOUT the label if you want them to care about you. Many approaches from there, but that point always remains front and center.

Fact is, most people who DO sign with the majors are bankrupted as a result when the dust settles. If they're LUCKY, they can bargain or buy their way out of their contract at some point. Knowing deep down you can win this game with or without them is the only thing that gets you through all the label shake-ups.

Almost no one has a major success of any kind with their first unaided album. Most give up because they expected success. Lose that expectation. Expect that it is possible, but extremely difficult to go out there and prove yourself. Possible is all you need if you've got the fire, and IMPROVE DAILY.

Are you really ready? Do you have the goods like all your heros? If you're not on the same level, then focus on just making the biggest splash you can while making sure you do whatever you need on a daily basis to be able to EARN what you want in this life... one day at a time.

Earning it means pushing FORWARD every day. If you stop growing when your first album is done, you're never even going to get close to hitting your full stride. Forward in your playing... forward in your songwriting... forward in your promotion... forward.

Daily.

It's all those million steps taken with focus and dedication that separate those with successful careers from the also-rans. If and when you do "make it big," chances are... only a few people will ever care what was on your first album before they ever heard of you. They WILL care, however, about what you were able to do as a result of your daily push forward from that point.
Old 1st March 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
dxavier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
So this heading does sound rather bleak haha but anyways
So Ive made an album had meetings,had the same your gonna be big
only to be let down many many times.

The thing is how long to you keep going..I mean the whole point I decided
to make a record myself was cos a meeting had with a major years ago

And I think its stating to depress me to be honest.
Im not one to give up but I think I need to be realistic even tho every
meeting I have is the same shit about one song or 2 being big

Sorry if this comes across as a rant
I understand what you are saying and I slightly understand the reaction here of others. Many here do music and gear for the love of it and would never think of giving up, ever, but I understand someone who wants a "career" too.

However, I do think you have the wrong impression of what it means to be signed by a major, especially today. Getting signed is not a career. It is just another step. If you got signed and dropped after one album (which is what happens to most signings) you would be no better off than you are now, in fact, you would feel worse. Also, most artists don't see any real money until they get to their second or third album and most don't last that long. If you want a "career", record, get gigs, do session work and see what happens, but don't see getting signed as THE way. It isn't for most. If it happens and it works beyond the dreaded second album, great, but if you really love music, you will always try and you will always keep your options open, even if you do have to do suck jobs too

Sent from my HTC Desire
Old 1st March 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Thanks for the advice..
Dont get me wrong Im competly into gear and music is all I think about
but I also would love to have a career so I could afford to more things in more areas music wise..
Old 1st March 2013
  #16
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabin333 View Post
Can we hear some of your stuff?

a) That will help a lot with understanding if you've "got the stuff" (however subjective that might be
b) I'm pumped that you have William Shatner's amazing Has Been album as your icon, so I wanna hear your stuff that much more!
Let's hear them tracks!
Old 1st March 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabin333 View Post
Let's hear them tracks!
PMed you
Old 1st March 2013
  #18
Gear maniac
 
bonestar's Avatar
 

There are lots of ways to have a career in music. "Making it big" is one of the most difficult, frustrating and unlikely ways. You just have to start thinking more broadly about other ways you can earn a living doing what you enjoy.
Old 1st March 2013
  #19
Gear Guru
 
theblue1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
No I make music cos I love it
but I dont see why I shouldnt try to have a career
is that wrong or something?
Not at all.

It's a noble pursuit.

If real musicians don't try, we'll have nothing left but singing robots and auto-tuned spokesmodels.


HOWEVER... since I've been around and paying attention since the late 60s, I have seen a LOT of career dreams crushed.

It's a cruel biz, in many ways, with the people who DON'T make the music so often making the money and most musicians working for years wit little or nothing to show for it except a lot of empty come-ons and false hopes.


So, go up the glass mountain -- it's a noble calling, we need real musicians -- but, for your own sake, don't ever let yourself get put in a position where the music business -- and all the sharks and s***heads -- don't somehow make you end up hating music or hating yourself for dreaming of making it.

Because I have seen that happen way too many times.

Nothing is more heartbreaking to me -- as someone who struggled to learn music and only really was able to start playing as an adult (and was wised up early on by my engineering immersion in the biz so, myself, never gave any real thought to 'making it') -- than watching someone who has been playing his or her whole life, has built all their future plans around music and being in the music business, beating their head against the wall until their dreams are just painful echoes and they walk away, putting down their instrument, stopping playing.

Turn your back on the music business if you must -- but don't let the music business make you turn your back on music.
Old 1st March 2013
  #20
Gear addict
 

You should be making music because you love it... because you simply "have" to. Sounds like someone in a meeting played to your ego and you bought the sales pitch (no offense- everyone's got an ego, even me).

But the scenario you follow if you are an artist (and respect the muse) is to keep on trucking. But not everyone can do this. Most people don't (most people can't) and it just boils down to what satisfies your soul at the end of the day.

Remember: There's more to life than being "rich and famous". Justin Bieber and a thousand other *********s are rich and famous but, quite frankly, they f**king suck. And there is a huge difference in what is Music vs. what is Product.

Good luck. At least you are one of the few who actually have this problem/rant.
Old 1st March 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
When is it time to give up?
When you go deaf, or when you die, whichever is sooner.
Quote
1
Old 1st March 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Well I should say I dont make music to make money if I did I would
quit many years ago haha.
Old 1st March 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
When you go deaf, or when you die, whichever is sooner.

Nice
Old 1st March 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Not at all.

It's a noble pursuit.

If real musicians don't try, we'll have nothing left but singing robots and auto-tuned spokesmodels.


HOWEVER... since I've been around and paying attention since the late 60s, I have seen a LOT of career dreams crushed.

It's a cruel biz, in many ways, with the people who DON'T make the music so often making the money and most musicians working for years wit little or nothing to show for it except a lot of empty come-ons and false hopes.


So, go up the glass mountain -- it's a noble calling, we need real musicians -- but, for your own sake, don't ever let yourself get put in a position where the music business -- and all the sharks and s***heads -- don't somehow make you end up hating music or hating yourself for dreaming of making it.

Because I have seen that happen way too many times.

Nothing is more heartbreaking to me -- as someone who struggled to learn music and only really was able to start playing as an adult (and was wised up early on by my engineering immersion in the biz so, myself, never gave any real thought to 'making it') -- than watching someone who has been playing his or her whole life, has built all their future plans around music and being in the music business, beating their head against the wall until their dreams are just painful echoes and they walk away, putting down their instrument, stopping playing.

Turn your back on the music business if you must -- but don't let the music business make you turn your back on music.
Good advice thank you..its the music business I just dont get it..maybe thats a good thing
Old 1st March 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 

I'm assuming you're making some kind of music that's targeted at teenagers (otherwise nobody would be telling you that your songs are gonna be 'huge'). If so, it's important to remember that you must look like a teenager, you must embody their spirit--only be slightly older and slightly cooler. For this reason, you really ought to hang it up if you haven't made significant strides by the age of 26. You can't be too far removed from your audience.

Ultimately, you should comfort yourself that there's a lottery aspect to music making. Everyone wants to do it, but there are only so many spaces to fill on the radio. Look at Chris Lago, his music is radio-ready and he's filled with boundless energy and enthusiasm for self-promotion. And he's gotten nowhere. So hold your head high, and realize that it's OK to settle for being a normal person.
Old 1st March 2013
  #26
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
I'm assuming you're making some kind of music that's targeted at teenagers (otherwise nobody would be telling you that your songs are gonna be 'huge'). If so, it's important to remember that you must look like a teenager, you must embody their spirit--only be slightly older and slightly cooler. For this reason, you really ought to hang it up if you haven't made significant strides by the age of 26. You can't be too far removed from your audience.

Ultimately, you should comfort yourself that there's a lottery aspect to music making. Everyone wants to do it, but there are only so many spaces to fill on the radio. Look at Chris Lago, his music is radio-ready and he's filled with boundless energy and enthusiasm for self-promotion. And he's gotten nowhere. So hold your head high, and realize that it's OK to settle for being a normal person.

haha no its not teenage music..Im not gonna go into saying what it is cos will just sound like a ******
Old 1st March 2013
  #27
Gear addict
 
NotchontheRocks's Avatar
 

Good advice in this thread. Remember, a major label is a business whose sole purpose is to make money (the goal of any and every business). They aren't necessarily looking for "talent" - they're looking for somebody who is going to make them money. A very talented artist who has no following and hasn't promoted himself is a bad business investment compared to a mediocre artist who has promoted his a** off and already has a decent following.

Like others have already said, being signed to a major is not in any way an indicator of success anymore. There are independent artists who are way more successful than a signed artist because they were able to promote themselves.

Also, I should probably clarify what I mean by "promotion." I don't just mean getting your music out there. A lot of the time, it doesn't even involve your own music. It is helping other artists/engineers out and supporting them. Not everyone will return the favor, but it can be extremely valuable when somebody does.

Good luck to you and I wish you well!
Old 1st March 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
 

When is it time to give up? Anytime, really.

And sometimes you gain more than you lose by letting go.

Think of it not as a defeat, but rather a victory in a different direction!
Old 1st March 2013
  #29
Lives for gear
 

There is that saying that says, "an overnight success takes ten years."
Quote
1
Old 1st March 2013
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Sotsirc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
There is that saying that says, "an overnight success takes ten years."
I once had an overnight success. She never called me back.


Edit: Sorry, looong day ...
Quote
1
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
dylansmale / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
25
TimbaBeat / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
4
rodhmos / Mastering forum
7
Blast9 / So much gear, so little time!
7
JPM / Music Computers
0

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.