Login / Register

What passes as music or as a musician today?
New Reply
Subscribe
dosilegecko
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

What passes as music or as a musician today?

Perfect for the moan zone...

I went to the Silverstein show in Cambridge this past Sunday (2/24/13), the bill was:

Glasscloud
Issues
Secrets
Like a Moth To Flame
Silverstein

I went to see Glasscloud. They were great minus their single which they always seem to have trouble with live, but overall they kicked ass and their drummer is awesome.

I am sorry if anyone here worked with the three middle bands, but I was appalled in every way by what I heard. I really don't like hating on music or genres or musicians, but It was just amazing how upset it made me. I literally got upset by how those three bands sounded and performed. Is this the new norm? I noticed that: 1, the guitars sounded like pure garbage... so did the bass, these children were playing in dropped F/G/G# with standard scale length guitars and floppy strings. Why don't learn their instrument. They could have played the whole set with 2 strings on the guitar. And the drummers were as boring as it gets. 4/4 breakdowns for days. I was bored out of my damn mind.

I didn't know anything about Silverstein before the show minus a song or two. They were GREAT. I would consider them great showmen and musicians who actually know their instrument and can play it (imagine that). They actually used pedals and effects in cool ways too, it was enjoyable. They sounded like a band. Very impressed in all honesty.

What the FUXX is with that style of "music" that the middle bands played? Ughhhhh it makes me really sad that they have any fans, and tour with bands I like. Its criminal

Anyways, I had to say something here because it was just so god awful.

If you worked with Issues, Secrets, or Like a Moth To Flame, how do you sleep at night and did you detect any talent in any of the members while in the studio?

Boomdog Drums, Top-Tier custom drums made in the USA! http://www.boomdogdrums.com

Magnitude Sloth Demos, Manchester NH!
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Banned

Stop listening to metal and you'll find some good music!
dosilegecko
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

I know right!?

But I can't, there are some really talented metal musicians that I really enjoy listening to. There's just something about the energy that good metal has that doesn't translate from other genres to me. I of course respect the other genres and enjoy them from time to time, but I am a metal head at the end of the day.
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Banned

I'd listen to metal if metal acts wrote good songs and stopped playing different time signatures every measure just because they think it's cool. I totally respect the musicianship a lot of the top metal players have, but their musicality is usually lacking.
dosilegecko
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemongoose View Post
I'd listen to metal if metal acts wrote good songs and stopped playing different time signatures every measure just because they think it's cool. I totally respect the musicianship a lot of the top metal players have, but their musicality is usually lacking.
Thats fair, sometimes my favorite bands take a little bit to get used to. Periphery blows my mind but the songs can be hard to follow sometimes, the trick is they are usually good about making it head-bobbable. If I can't bob my head easily to a metal song, its dead in the water to me. Glasscloud stuff isn't as complicated but the drumming really draws me in. If He Dies He Dies has the nastiest riff about 3 minutes in after a dead-pause, and its all single pedal work... really really well done and powerful.

Older metal guys like 7Dust know what they're doing though, but it usually isn't as musically interesting. Animosity is a great album.
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Banned

People listen to music for different reasons. Some want their minds blown. Others want to hear a catchy tune they can sing in their head that makes their workday less miserable. Some are musicians who want to hear something that inspires them to make their own music, while some others want to go on a journey through the music on a roller coaster of emotions.

It's all valid, but the first one, the one that metal fans seem to want most is more like a spectacle than art to me.

So when you ask: "What passes as music or as a musician today?" all you're gonna get is opinions. Opinions you may share or ones you may disagree with.
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Silverstein is from my hometown. As much as you liked them live, their music kinda sucks to me. They may be great musicians, doesn't mean they make great music. Much better music out there! To each his own. I produced a female artist who used to date Silverstein's drummer, she had much better music!
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

The whole Donnie Osmond/Cookie Monster vocal thing to me is lame and passé, and definitely not a sign of great music IMO
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ladd View Post
The whole Donnie Osmond/Cookie Monster vocal thing to me is lame and passé, and definitely not a sign of great music IMO
Exactly how I feel.
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

I get the cookie monster thing, but Donnie Osmond?

Does Bieber do metal?
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Send a message via MSN to jordanvoth
I'm amazed Silverstein is still a popular band. That shit was barely cool in 03.
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Banned

I don't thin we need to trash a band the OP likes.
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
I'm amazed Silverstein is still a popular band. That shit was barely cool in 03.
They were popular... Ever? Hehe.
dosilegecko
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

Oh guys trash who you want! I don't love them and didn't go to the show to see them. I was simply pleasantly surprised that they were decent live. Even if they weren't great in the past they played well and sounded good the other night. That said I don't plan on buying any albums ya know?

Sent from my DROID X2
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

Metttttttttaaaaaaaaaaalllllllll!!

Chris just because you don't like it, doesn't mean your the gospel word in what others like.. Stop being a big hairy monkey's bottom and accept the world with all the differences it has to offer..
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosilegecko View Post
Oh guys trash who you want! I don't love them and didn't go to the show to see them. I was simply pleasantly surprised that they were decent live. Even if they weren't great in the past they played well and sounded good the other night. That said I don't plan on buying any albums ya know?

Sent from my DROID X2
Good, thank god!
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemongoose View Post
Stop listening to metal and you'll find some good music!
+1 for sure.
dosilegecko
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear addict

I get it I get it but nothing inspires me to get better at drumming and playing guitar as much as metal. If I can learn another Periphery song on the drums I'd be very happy. Its just that's the kind of stuff I like to try to play.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosilegecko View Post
I get it I get it but nothing inspires me to get better at drumming and playing guitar as much as metal. If I can learn another Periphery song on the drums I'd be very happy. Its just that's the kind of stuff I like to try to play.
But that kind of stuff doesn't sell. And really, I'd rather use a drummer that can play a nice disco beat. Metal creates a lot of drummers that tend to overplay. Keep it simple Stupid.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
But that kind of stuff doesn't sell. And really, I'd rather use a drummer that can play a nice disco beat. Metal creates a lot of drummers that tend to overplay. Keep it simple Stupid.
As metal fans tend to stick more to their bands and thus actually buy the stuff on CD instead of leaving it at youtube and filesharing, a not-so-famous metal band generates more income than a not-so-famous mainstream pop artist, I guess. Even if this stuff tends to end up in endless technical perfect, but boring solo wanking and could be rather described as solid craftsmanship than creative art - it is a good inspiration to improve your technique and a high goal to aim at for a drummer or a guitar player.
1st March 2013
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
As metal fans tend to stick more to their bands and thus actually buy the stuff on CD instead of leaving it at youtube and filesharing, a not-so-famous metal band generates more income than a not-so-famous mainstream pop artist, I guess. Even if this stuff tends to end up in endless technical perfect, but boring solo wanking and could be rather described as solid craftsmanship than creative art - it is a good inspiration to improve your technique and a high goal to aim at for a drummer or a guitar player.
I used to be that guy on drums, so I can relate! I wanted to be Joey Jordison, ended up being an asshole.
dosilegecko
1st March 2013
Old 1st March 2013
Gear addict

Well there is always two extremes and its the drummer's job as a member of band to play the song and not overplay. I really look up to Morgan Rose of 7Dust for how to play a song while keeping it interesting and not overplaying.A lot of the local drummers around here throw double bassing everywhere they can fit 4 notes and its really tiresome.

But again, the other end of the spectrum is a drummer that doesn't do the song justice.
1st March 2013
Old 1st March 2013
Gear addict

I know Periphery's FOH guy; they sell out venues worldwide. Saying "that kind of stuff doesn't sell" is a bit of an oversight, but I certainly wouldn't call it mainstream success.

Personally I don't like that genre for anything other than appreciation of precision and technicality. Same with the whole "Gospel Chops" drumming craze. Impressive, but whether or not it's "musical" is purely subjective. I'd rather hear JR Robinson playing Billie Jean all night.

Strangely, the guys who do the "Tony Royster Jr 64th note linear fills" wind up getting the four-on-the-floor pop gigs nowadays.

I used a lot of "quotes" in this post and don't regret it one bit. But ultimately I agree with Chris; simplicity is where it's at.
"(Mark) Hamill referred to the Joker's laugh as a musical instrument and would practice laughing maniacally while driving to recording sessions, commenting that no one found this behavior strange in Los Angeles."

@BabyGoatTacos
facebook.com/highfiveworldwide
facebook.com/missilejetski
1st March 2013
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik View Post
I know Periphery's FOH guy; they sell out venues worldwide. Saying "that kind of stuff doesn't sell" is a bit of an oversight, but I certainly wouldn't call it mainstream success.

Personally I don't like that genre for anything other than appreciation of precision and technicality. Same with the whole "Gospel Chops" drumming craze. Impressive, but whether or not it's "musical" is purely subjective. I'd rather hear JR Robinson playing Billie Jean all night.

Strangely, the guys who do the "Tony Royster Jr 64th note linear fills" wind up getting the four-on-the-floor pop gigs nowadays.

I used a lot of "quotes" in this post and don't regret it one bit. But ultimately I agree with Chris; simplicity is where it's at.
On a Meme theme tonight

1st March 2013
Old 1st March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
On a Meme theme tonight

lol
1st March 2013
Old 1st March 2013
The Audio Whisperer

Send a message via Skype™ to donsolo
Go back and watch Woodstock again, there were some marginal acts there too...

Watch some old live Nirvana videos, some of them were pretty rough sounding.

Some people have off days, and some people just aren't amazing. The bar is set pretty high after 60 years of rock n roll...

My Personal Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
I dont have a playstation so I have to book a big room to get my Metal Gear fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
the secretary at our studio calls Gearslutz

"That stupid website your always on..you know, the one with the bird on the skateboard"
It took 6 years but I think I found my avatar in action: http://imgur.com/gallery/2cNN5
1st March 2013
Old 1st March 2013
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Send a message via MSN to jordanvoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
On a Meme theme tonight

This is awesome hahahahaha
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
This is awesome hahahahaha
As soon as I saw it, I had to find a place to use it !
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Because everybody knows that the true purpose of music is marketability.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search