Hilltop Records Ripoff
New Reply
Subscribe
DarbyOhara
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear maniac

Hilltop Records Ripoff

Thought I'd share a warning to any musicians and songwriters out there that proceed to copyright their stuff with the US Copyright office. It happened to me recently; although I didn't get ripped off thanks to some quick searches before proceeding.

I recently submitted a compilation CD of songs to the US Copyright office and received my certificate. About that same time I received a letter from a company called Hill Top Records out of Hollywood, CA. It asked for me to send 1 to 3 of my best songs for their consideration. Not thinking much about it since they weren't asking for money, I did. About a week later I received a letter saying they found a project for my song and they really really like it. But they want me to send $399 for the audition of the work. The letter is sheer baloney. So I searched on the company and found many hits of this company being a fraud and ripoff. Here is another story by a young female songwriter.

HillTop Records Scam | Sara Tiemogo

So all you songwriters and producers out there, be alert to companies like this. They don't ask for money up front, to get you sucked into their scheme, then they'll rip you off!

These scammers are hitting on the music industry in a very bad way! Please pass the word about them! Here is their info:

Hill Top Records
1680 N Vine Street, Ste 321
Hollywood, CA 90028
323-469-3366 (no one ever answers that number from my understanding. I never wasted my time trying to call and all my correspondence with them is in the shredder)

Just be aware that it seems crooks and frauds are now using the hurting music industry to rip people off. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it is!
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

I had the same thing happen to me. I sent some songs off for copyrights and a few weeks later I got a letter from them. My first thought was how did they even hear anything I just sent off and haven't let anyone else hear yet. Thanks for posting as I never followed up with them. Makes you wonder if someone at the copyright office is on the take with someone.
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Same here. Someone infiltrated the copyright office. It's been going on for years.
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe it is the same deal but when you purchase a new or used car in my state the records of that purchase are make public and within a few weeks the new or used car purchaser gets all kinds of mail from every imaginable service provider and insurance company. I am not sure about copyright info but I know that patent info becomes public knowledge as soon as the patent is granted - that is why a lot of companies don't want their ideas patented for fear that someone will beat them to the market place with the new technology.

It is not a fair world out there...and lots of greedy people are making use of public information for their own purposes.

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room with a View Productions
Oberlin, OH 44074
www.acoustikmusik.com

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 19 years in the mastering business in 2014
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search