Singer Songwriters with no band
New Reply
Subscribe
zealy
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear nut

Singer Songwriters with no band

So you want to put your big toe 'in the music business' but you dont want any of that old hassle of having to work as a team player with other musicians in a band scenario

why not be a singer-songwriter

yeah bands are full of people and stuff, and we all know how other people can be one of the things that can get in the way of one realising ones own full ego potential.

yeah you dont need 'em you just need you.

yeah when it comes to the gig you can just hire-em in, like their your staff or something, after all without you they'd be no-where.

yeah dont need bands, you dont have time for all that stuff, it would take away from the time spent shamelessly self-promoting on facebook etc.

all that old stuff about the music sounding one-dimensional is pure phooey...because after all your vision is hardly one dimensional, its art.

as for the next CD cover why not take a photo of your ****ing head, nice and big, and slap it on there nice and big, just in case anyone is wondering about who the brains/talent behind the operation is.

6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

well i'd at least welcome that attitude over the ****** i worked with that put together "a band" but acted the exact same way. i'm ok with being a hired hand but don't try to act like i'm a "member" of the band when it's convenient (i.e. splitting costs of things).
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Most musicians are a pain the ass - drama queens, lazy, entitled, egotistical, self-serving, usually broke, etc.

Most singer-songwriters fit into this category, as well.

I know. Because I am one. I am also a singer-songwriter and composer.

Decades of being a band member (keys, gtrs, vox, etc.), musical director, singer-songwriter, composer, etc.

Like Zappa said - as a producer, composer, bandleader, singer songwriter or artist -
band members / employees usually hate you because you have the nerve to sign their paychecks.

The fewer other musicians I have to deal with, the happier I am.

That said, I have a list of amazing musicians I LOVE working with.

I track them or hire them for a live gig, pay them - and I'm done.

They're professionals, and aside of the usual whining about how broke they are, we usually have a great time.

There are actually a FEW musicians I know - and only a few - who are not broke.

Unfortunately, the economics of "professional" musicianship mostly suck.

Again, there are a FEW exceptions.

Studio Cat i7 + RME UFX + Linkwitz Orions + Tyler Acoustics Linbrooks + Buzz Audio ARC + GT-67 + Sonar + Komplete + Omnisphere-Trilian-Stylus + Symphobia + Mo-Tone Custom Tele
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to ivmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealy View Post
So you want to put your big toe 'in the music business' but you dont want any of that old hassle of having to work as a team player with other musicians in a band scenario

yeah bands are full of people and stuff, and we all know how other people can be one of the things that can get in the way of one realising ones own full ego potential.

yeah when it comes to the gig you can just hire-em in, like their your staff or something, after all without you they'd be no-where.

yeah dont need bands, you dont have time for all that stuff, it would take away from the time spent shamelessly self-promoting on facebook etc.

all that old stuff about the music sounding one-dimensional is pure phooey...because after all your vision is hardly one dimensional, its art.

as for the next CD cover why not take a photo of your ****ing head, nice and big, and slap it on there nice and big, just in case anyone is wondering about who the brains/talent behind the operation is.

I like singer-songwriters that hire musicians. In fact, that's a big part of my income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill brown View Post
Keep it simple - get good sounds at source - do not rely on all the technology. Go with your instincts/gut feeling. Don't mic too close.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear maniac

LOL I can identify, I gave up the whole gigging and playing in bands thing years ago due to all the BS that came along with it, and even though I just play and write and record at home with the gear in my sig for my own enjoyment, I have taken on a few vanity projects over the years, and they're pretty much all the same, "singer songwriters" that just strum generic chord progressions with no timing or sense of structure on an acoustic with weak lyrics that can't sing, and what kills me is the egos of some of these clowns, they really think they're gonna sell a million DLs on iTunes LOL not to mention that they almost always want me to be part of their "backup bands", like playing a bunch of open mics is gonna get them selling out Madison Square Garden LOL
Using and abusing Reason 4.0 (with tons of ReFills) and Logic 9 (with tons of soft synths, VSTi's and plug-ins)
via
a Yamaha S80 (with 2 FC7's, an FC5, an FC3, and a BC3a) and a Behringer BCR2000
on
a 4GB 2.53GHz Intel Core Duo Mac Mini
with
AKG K55 headphones or M-Audio BX5a Deluxe monitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
Just remember...machines don't kill music, people do.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

you've been hurt in the past, havent you?
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

I agree, except I'd leave out the word "ego".

People can definitely get in the way.

Or they can be a help.

It all depends.

This rant seems aimed at someone specific. Something that should probably be a private rant. But we all get to read it. The internet is funny that way.
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear addict

I'm a singer songwriter.

I have no band.
zealy
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
how many chords do you know?
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
how many chords do you know?
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm sure the cliche is worse in places like L.A. Up here in Seattle people seem to be a lot more low-key and down to earth. And I just realized I never call myself a singer-songwriter when talking to people ... it's musician. Feels more grounded and less about any kind of "look at me" factor.

Yeah don't put a huge picture of your face on the cover. And high gloss? ... noooooo.
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
Daddy issues.
zealy
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargojon View Post
Daddy issues.
six strings and the truth. wake me up when its over.
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybusa View Post
they're pretty much all the same, "singer songwriters" that just strum generic chord progressions with no timing or sense of structure on an acoustic with weak lyrics that can't sing, and what kills me is the egos of some of these clowns, they really think they're gonna sell a million DLs on iTunes LOL not to mention that they almost always want me to be part of their "backup bands", like playing a bunch of open mics is gonna get them selling out Madison Square Garden LOL
There's nothing wrong with those type of songwriters having those beliefs if they're willing to foot the bill. It's not right a songwriter hiring additional musicians to back them up (ie. telling them what to play) and then expecting those musicians to shell out the same money for rehearsals/recording/transport that they would if they were full band members.
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah! I agree! F**K session musicians! If you want to be on my album, you're gonna be paying an equal share for the studio time and carry my amp to the gig. And no more paychecks at the end of the day, buddy.
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

You could always write your own songs and not worry about whatever songwriter that is hurting your ego.
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
You could always write your own songs and not worry about whatever songwriter that is hurting your ego.

bingo.

zealy
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Gear nut

just re-read my post there and seen how bitter and twisted it seems

chortle!
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
just re-read my post there and seen how bitter and twisted it seems

chortle!
February can be a bitter and twisted Month
Where i am at least
zealy
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Gear nut

i cannot blame the weather and must assume total responsibility for my own bitter and twisted ways
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
i cannot blame the weather and must assume total responsibility for my own bitter and twisted ways
The Remedy
Repeat Daily
Justin Bieber i,m a Belieber
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Gear Guru

I've shed myself of this problem. I don't even have a singer or songwriter anymore. I only think about singing or writing songs, which is much more fulfililng than the hard work of actually doing it.

It's like the old saying goes, if something pisses you off, it's already old news and someone has already invented an even better way to do it. You just haven't heard of it yet.

Be a control freak!
zealy
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Gear nut

is this a satanic incantation?

if so, count me in.
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
I like singer-songwriters that hire musicians. In fact, that's a big part of my income.
indeed
I work with a partner and all the time, we become the "band" in the studio for singer-songwriters who have none

Quote:
When someone else is writing and singing the all the material, what incentive does a guitarist or a drummer have to "join" what is obviously going to be THAT GUY'S band, except for the 'no strings' 'get paid' aspect of it?

I can see their side of it too. A singer/songwriter CAN go out and do a gig without a band if he wants.

Not too many groups of sideman musicians can attract an audience all by themselves without a singer and songs! Almost none.

Chuck Berry would "pick up" a band for every gig. A different band in every town. Yet every person who bought a ticket feels that they "Saw Chuck Berry" and had no complaints! Who has the 'value'? The guy who wrote and sings all the songs that people love, or the guitarist and bass player in tonight's "band"??

Quote:

god, I wish MORE people would take the responsibility for promoting themselves!

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search