Getting older, no more aiming at music career, sounds familliar?
mrsound
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear maniac

Getting older, no more aiming at music career, sounds familliar?

As i'm getting older (still young 21) but i'm not as interest, and motivated to get far with music. I have a songwriter duo, but i'm losing interest.

I feel more like a have some fun here and there, and twist some knobs. The magic is gone i guess. Before i practiced hours and hours the electric guitar, checking books all day, but now it's gone. I don't want to be famous anymore, and playing some half finished songs with acoustic guitar, tweaking some synth, and making a drum beat is good enough for me.

I do care more about my study now, getting a good job for in the future, and looking for a relation. I'm wondering if it comes with aging?

Do you guys recognize this?

(i hope this is the right forum section)
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

21?

What?

I'm 27, working as a server, so that I can do music for like 30+ hours a week. I know it's common for a lot of soundcloud famous musicians to be in their early 20s, but it seems that a lot of artists don't really get going til after they're 25+ or so. Plenty of rock musicians who did the grind pre-internet, and it took them til their 30s to get famous.

It all really depends on what you want. I have no illusions as to being a huge rockstar, but it's not like age totally matters if you're not trying to get rolling stone style fame. Especially in electronic music, and with the internet, your image mayyyy not matter as much.

I'd gather that most people on here eventually pushed music to the backburner, and got a normal job. I have plenty of friends who did that, some are making their best music ever, some are noodling and doing it as a form of stress-relief. Just keep music in your life, and sort out what kind of priority it gets
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

If you're unmotivated at 21, perhaps music was never for you in the first place. I'm 38 with a wife and a kid, and I'm more motivated (and more successful) than ever before, and I've been doing this for 25+ years.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

when i was 21 i had too much intrest i think. i over endulged in cookies and became bloated by the time i was about 27. then to loose intrest.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe your burned out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

its rare, but ive heard of some people breaking into the business at 22, 23 even. if your tunes are good enough old age neednt be a barrier.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Gearslutz App
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

i'm 27 and still as dedicated as ever. I didn't start making anything half decent until i was 22.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I had no idea what I was doing music-wise when I was 21.

I think I'm starting to get a slight clue of where I want to go musically.

I just turned 36 last week.

Assuming my ears don't fail me, I expect to be at my prime in about 10 years from now.

Naturally, I don't need or want mainstream success. That's for the youngsters and the good-looking.

I just want to become good enough so that a small label somewhere wants to press my music on vinyl, maybe sell like 300 copies and be appreciated by the house and techno connoisseurs. I don't think I need to be young to do that, I have actually no idea what like 90% of the producers I like look like, they could be 15, or 65, it's meaningless really.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I don't think 21 is too old at all.. Especially with the way music is going nowadays. The face of the music (especially in the electronic realm) is really not hugely important as it was in the era of rockstars, and you still have years and years in front of you to be able to become a master. I am 20 and even though I am lucky/blessed enough to an amazing career that pays the bills and then some, it has nothing to do with music, I do it entirely to pay for everything I could possibly need to sit down in a couple years when I am done with this job, and do nothing but become a master of my studio and make all of the music I want to make for the rest of my life. I am very happy with this, and I would think that if you don't have the feeling that you want to sit and do this for the rest of your life, maybe it isn't for you. Hobbyists are fine, but don't expect to ever make it big if it isn't the main driving force in your life, regardless of money. I am probably making more now than I will ever make doing music, but that doesn't change the fact that I will throw it away to sit and make music as soon as I have enough to not have to worry about making $ to support myself once I do go into my 100% musical life.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Just hang on till your 40+ and have to tend to a mountain of liquor bottles, guitars and amps that you just cant sell for sentimental reasons, keyboards and guitars stacked up like firewood. several Juno's you will never sell because they could double in price, not that they get powers up longer then a few seconds a year. Your wife leaving you because she has to vacuum your furniture, (PA speaker carpeting)
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Electronic music doesn't really require stamina...I think you can be doing it your whole life, age doesn't matter with electronic music! sure, rock, but that's rock, and the who are still playing, so what does that say?
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I gave that dream up in the early 90's.
I do music for 3 reasons now

1.FUN
2.sound track work for sci-fi video show including sound effects
3.creating children's tunes for ibooks
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsound View Post
As i'm getting older (still young 21) but i'm not as interest, and motivated to get far with music. I have a songwriter duo, but i'm losing interest.

I feel more like a have some fun here and there, and twist some knobs. The magic is gone i guess. Before i practiced hours and hours the electric guitar, checking books all day, but now it's gone. I don't want to be famous anymore, and playing some half finished songs with acoustic guitar, tweaking some synth, and making a drum beat is good enough for me.

I do care more about my study now, getting a good job for in the future, and looking for a relation. I'm wondering if it comes with aging?

Sounds a lot like me, though I went all the way to my mid 30s. I'm sure part of it came from aging... I do remember thinking, "This working as a sock store manager by day to do gigs on nights and weekends is starting to look less and less cute." (Yup, SOCK STORE!)

But actually what really made me think the "business" wasn't for me was the bit of success our band was having. In fact, the more success we had the more I hated the whole thing.

A) I hate traveling. This is weird but no one ever tells you how much traveling you will have to do and how horrible it is.

B) The people. The music business has more than it's fair share of flakes and narcissists. Finding reliable people to play with who share a similar musical vision and are fun to spend a lot of time with is very difficult.

C) Money. The moment there's a dime on the table, someone is trying to take it from you. Club owners who lie about the door take, sound people who have extortion contracts with clubs that you have to pay, etc. Managers who embezzle your cash are so common it's a cliché.

I like something I once heard from guitarist Robert Fripp. He said something along the lines of Anyone who finds out what it's like to be a professional touring musician and goes forward toward that career is mentally ill.

Here's the good news. It got a lot better! When the pressure to "succeed" in the music business was removed, I started really enjoying music again. I could spend an entire evening just messing with loops and synth patches and have an enormously fun time. Really fulfilling. I found that if I made music for me, it was no longer important to share what I was doing. Sure, sometimes I record my ramblings and I still compose music for video games and gifts, but it's all for pure fun. I think we're told by so many people that this is what losers and hacks do, but the truth is I've never been more creative. So take it for what it's worth. Keep playing and keep music in your life. If somehow money finds a way into your art, take it and be thankful. If not, don't sweat it. Making art for art's sake is the purest form of artistic expression and the most fulfilling.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post

I like something I once heard from guitarist Robert Fripp. He said something along the lines of Anyone who finds out what it's like to be a professional touring musician and goes forward toward that career is mentally ill.
Right on. What I hate the most is the fact that creating music, even performing it, is really just a small part of the job, and sadly not even the most important. Interview schedules, sound checks, transportation between venues, endless hotel rooms, just plain boring! I found that the only thing that really interested me was music, so I stopped being a musician

(still release one or two albums a year, do gigs and compose film scores, but ambition is held at bay, and my main source of income is not from music)
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear interested

Pro from 17 to 21. Made good money. Then I switched to computer programming after realising the huge gap between the kind of music I had enough skill to pay the bills with vs. the kind of music I wanted to have sufficient skill to pay the bills with!

Turning 41 this year and if all goes well in another five years or so I may just have sufficient skill to make the kind of music I want to at a level where it can pay the bills!

That said, if it turns out I only manage to attain the level of skill I desire but fail to pay the bills I'd still have more happies than a pig in shit! :-D
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

wow. if you are thinking about quitting music at the horrific old age of 21 because you have not "made it" yet, then i'd say you've probably made the right decision. bye bye now.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

i should also add that if you were born with artistic venom pulsing through your body, you'd have no choice but to follow your art. true artists never leave the calling.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I quit my day job at 29 to go after my opera career. 10 years later... Well, 21 is too young to have a true understanding about life and therefore music. Sorry, simply the facts. Wait till you are at least 30 and you will realize how utterly ridiculous your current ramblings are and how much there is to see and to do.

I am fitter now than when I was 17. I love life, and see it for the wonders it possesses every day. And think about it: You cannot live, eat, breath, and practice music every moment of every day. Take some breaks, enjoy life, meet people, LIVE. Just "being" contributes to you in some way. I cannot even begin to express how simply being in this thing called "life" has influenced my artistry, expression, and way I interpret and perform the different music works and operas I sing in.

Perhaps find a relationship if it is the right time, or at least see what is there for you. Take time daily in the morning and at the end of your day to reflect and consider the things you did that day. It is amazing how much of this will come through into your art. Regardless, life is ever evolving, and always changing as are we as people. It's what makes our visit here on this planet for our brief time that we are here so interesting. I guess, to summarize my feelings about music, and being "famous" or whatever is to remain true to yourself, always be open, and share and experience the people and world around you in the time you are here. Our music is simply one expression of this. Take care and good luck in whatever you choose.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Im 45..I started of old with no interest in a music career...missed out on all that disappointment
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

When I first saw the thread of this title I thought herein lies the meloncholy (but noble) musings of a middle-aged man with a family, a mortgage and a day job.

21?!

Dude. You're only at the beginning of the journey. Take a rest by the side of the road. Then carry on.

If it was meant to be the Muse will return to you.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Head

I'm 33, and I simply was too broke as a student in my early 20s, and too much in debt due to school in my latter 20s, to afford music equipment. All I had was a guitar during that time, and I consider being able to learn guitar very valuable. I also spent a good amount of time reading up on synthesis so at least I had somewhat of an idea before I made a commitment.

Now I'm finally at the point where I can afford gear, and have a small studio, so I have a very late start of things. But the drive and desire to make music never left me, I'm here for the long haul.

I don't really want to be famous, but I would eventually like to get to a point where DJs I like play my tunes. I'd be pretty content if Donato Dozzy was playing my tunes.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Honestly, I dont think I purchase or even listen to music made by anyone under 30. Maybe even 40. Particularly when your talking electronic music. The older guys really know what they're doing, the younger ones just sound like auditory ejaculation/masturbation (brostep/skrillex,etc). Give me Moodyman, Richie Hawtin, Mouse on Mars, etc any day of the week. Even the dubstep I like (Mala) is over 30 ( I think). Anyway, stupid generalisation to say young ones aren't making good music, I know, but my point is I can list a ton of older artists whose current output excites me, can't think of any young ones off top of my head.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
When the pressure to "succeed" in the music business was removed, I started really enjoying music again. I could spend an entire evening just messing with loops and synth patches and have an enormously fun time. Really fulfilling. I found that if I made music for me, it was no longer important to share what I was doing. Sure, sometimes I record my ramblings and I still compose music for video games and gifts, but it's all for pure fun. I think we're told by so many people that this is what losers and hacks do, but the truth is I've never been more creative. So take it for what it's worth. Keep playing and keep music in your life. If somehow money finds a way into your art, take it and be thankful. If not, don't sweat it. Making art for art's sake is the purest form of artistic expression and the most fulfilling.
The best advice I have read in a long time! I think out of this is how a full time musician is born.

My best advice to anyone is get a day job or career and have fun with your art on the side, but think of this as 2 careers, one brings home the money, the other one is developing. If you have an intense desire to share what you are doing with others, maybe your priorities are not sorted out? I'm not saying hide it, but I know a lot of full time musicians who if they just focused on their own music instead of spending half the day on self-promotion things might actually happen for them.

Forget about "getting famous." Sure lots of people have the dream, but look at the statistics of the ones who did vs. did not become famous. What drives you the most? Fame or art?

Here is a video more aspiring musicians need to watch to keep perspective of reality. This is what happens when you sacrifice what you love doing for money. (She is in a much healthier state today as this video is several years old.) Oh and since you are 21 let me explain, this band had a huge hit in the early 90s.

Expect Less - YouTube

Forget about "trying to write a hit song." There is no faster way to jinx yourself and become delusional. You can't predict a hit. Yes, you can identify the elements, production styles etc but when you try to write for the sake of writing a hit IMO your art is compromised.

Forget about your status of "professional or hobbyist." I read a thread here recently where the definition was whether or not you do this full time. I highly disagree. Marilyn Martin had a #1 hit with Phil Collins in 1985. She also does backing vocals for everyone it seems. And personally she is one of my most favorite female vocals..along with Annie Lennox. But today she is a real estate agent in Nashville. Is she not a professional vocalist just because she became a real estate agent? There are many professional musicians who "have a real job."

At 21, based on what you said, I would go to college, and perhaps your passion for music will re-appear.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sadly- it does not
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I wish I could be 21 again.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:

I do care more about my study now, getting a good job for in the future, and looking for a relation.
Then the music business is probably not for you.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Then the music business is probably not for you.
+1
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
My best advice to anyone is get a day job or career and have fun with your art on the side, but think of this as 2 careers, one brings home the money, the other one is developing.
Cool advice but what happens to those who have actually studied music (as in going to the Uni) and still can't find a job in the field? Should they find a job irrelevant to their skills/studies and get paid shit?
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear maniac

I took a break from solid musical devotion during my artistic devotion that landed me what is only 2 years into my industry and $900 a week so far.
Now I can afford to be the big gear slut that I always wanted to be :D
27 and making ten times more music then I ever did before I was 21. Working with musicians of the same age or older that are far more talented than anybody I worked with before I graduated high school. Yes, there are plenty of lucky 21year olds that got famous (disney does a good job at getting that next heart throb even if he isnt that good) and other kids are getting famous on Youtube etc (beiber)

In the end, one thing I am over with, is worrying about being "famous".
I make music for me, I am not trying to impress anybody, but when somebody is impressed, then I am ever more inspired to work harder.
Recently I have come across some of the most talented people I have ever met. Most of them had given up on making a band because it was for most of them, being the one guy into it while the rest just brought beer and weed for the jam space. Nothing gets done and it becomes a chore to get the group at least in the same room.
We started jamming out of the fun of it and may start a band since out of nowhere we can literally create a song by jamming and repeating. Our first jam together, the other guys had never met, they all knew myself and my roomate but never in the same room together. We shook hands, introduced, decided on a key, and played instantly.

Your 21, you have not met your ultimate jam buddies/ support djs/ other gig that you always play with yet.
Again, as for being famous. That can be a broad category, the most inspiring person I listen to is doing well for a musician. He tours Canada, goes to all the shows that I do, he lives down the street from me. I bought both his albums and analyze his music regularly to figure out what I need to add that extra layering.

anyways im jabbering, have a good'r
Nev
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Nev
Lives for gear

Damn even Gearslutz.com is subject to invasive troll post topics. sad indeed.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search