Int'l buyer on eBay with U.S. address
New Reply
Subscribe
digitrax
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Int'l buyer on eBay with U.S. address

I sold my EMM Labs/Meitner DAC-8 for a low Buy-It-Now price in the hopes of generating some cash quickly. I checked the "B.I.N. must pay immediately" box in the eBay ad and it sold in 3 hours. "Great!" I thought. I sent the unit Priority Mail with signature confirmation as well as sending an email saying "PayPal is withholding my funds until you leave feedback. Please put the unit through its paces as soon as you receive it and leave feedback ASAP."

The response I got (in broken English) was: "The address in NY is my receiving company. They will be send it to China, where I leave feedback when receive it. Delay is usual 35-40 days."(!!)
He also had the gall to ask me to "make sure to pack it very well enough to get to China - they are very rough on packages there - when mail it" (as if it's my responsibility to make sure it can withstand a 10,000 mile journey when I'm only sending it from Michigan to New York!)

Bear in mind, I used "Express Mail International" as my International Shipping option so that, if I had to send the unit overseas, it would get there as quickly as possible (and therefore I'd get feedback as quickly as possible). I also had a (flat rate) Priority Mail shipping option for within the U.S. This guy chose to send it to a U.S. address because he didn't want to pay the Express Mail International shipping cost, but still won't have someone in New York, (where the unit is being sent) check it over and leave feedback, (let alone, put another box over it to send to China!)

Had he not clicked the "Buy-It-Now", I could have sold the unit to someone on GS - I put an ad in the classifieds here as well - who would have paid me (albeit 10% less) immediately. Arrrgh!

I know that PayPal won't (/can't?) hold my money for more than 21 days (and I think only up to 10 days after proof of buyer's receipt of item), but still...
I sent the unit so it would get there in 2-3 days and was hoping the buyer would leave feedback within a couple days of getting it - (I always leave FB within a day or two myself!).

Anyone else have eBay experiences with foreign buyers using a U.S. address because they're too cheap to pay eBay's International Shipping rates?
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Jeez, I hope I'm way wrong here, but that sounds like classic scam territory to me. I fear you may find yourself without your gear or any money at the end of this one. I've heard too many "that's my shipping/forwarding company" horror stories to feel good about anything like that.

Hope I'm wrong...
digitrax
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianww View Post
Jeez, I hope I'm way wrong here, but that sounds like classic scam territory to me. I fear you may find yourself without your gear or any money at the end of this one. I've heard too many "that's my shipping/forwarding company" horror stories to feel good about anything like that.

Hope I'm wrong...
Well, I've already been paid - the money's in my PayPal account, but won't be "available" till this guy leaves feedback (or in 21 days, whichever happens first).

It's just frustrating 'cause now I'm gonna have to sell another piece of gear (that I don't even want to) to cover expenses until PayPal releases the money for that one.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search