Ebay seller refusing to sell since winning bid was too low
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Head

Ebay seller refusing to sell since winning bid was too low

Hey everyone, here is a good moan!!!!

I found myself in a rather good situation where I found a book on DSP with a usual market value of around $100-$120 was being listed on ebay with a starting bid of only 99cents, and it was even in my home town so I could pick it up to save on postage. Much to my pleasure I ended up winning the auction at only 99cents! I then sent the ebay member a message essentially saying "when can I pick up the book" to which he said "oh the listing was a mistake, I was suppose to put a reserve in but must have forgotten". That's all well and good except for the fact that in the very same listing in bright red letters he said "No Reserve". I, wanting to just get my book, told him I'll pay the postage then (which was $15) if it was that necessary and he can drop it off personally and walk away with $15.99. He then replied and said "I no longer live in your city, I live interstate so that won't work. I'll need $30 all up". Obviously at this point I was starting to lose my patience so I caught him out on the "No Reserve" comment stated on his listing and I told him I want my book for the price that I won the auction at and agreed upon when I placed my winning bid. So it'll be interesting to see what his reply is

This really makes me angry though, I mean what's even the point of using an auction house if people don't abide by the rules of an auction house? You can't just use auction houses when they're in your favour and then the second you make a stupid deal spit the dummy and say you don't want to play anymore. Imagine if gamblers did that! Am I the only one who thinks this is a joke? What would others do in such a situation? I need some input from my fellow slutz. I want my DSP book!!!!
Old 1st February 2013
Complain to eBay... if they're no help, as the buyer you can at least leave negative feedback.

When you do 'no reserve' that's the risk you take!
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Even Amazon will buy back books for 7 dollars

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Old 1st February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
Even Amazon will buy back books for 7 dollars
not always!
Attached Thumbnails
Ebay seller refusing to sell since winning bid was too low-screen-shot-2013-02-01-12.09.33.png  
Old 1st February 2013
Gear addict

The first and obvious thing you need to do is file a complaint with ebay. The link to do so is right in the completed listing. They need to handle the situation first - your scenario is far from uncommon.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Complain to eBay... if they're no help, as the buyer you can at least leave negative feedback.

When you do 'no reserve' that's the risk you take!
ok I've complained to ebay. Can take approx 48 hours to get a reply. Playing the waiting game now....

I do know in Australia there has been cases in the past about ebay sales with the seller refusing to sell and it ended up in the supreme court, although it was a plane worth $250,000 which sold for $150,000 so is different compared to a 99cent book But the judge in that case stated how ebay is a legally binding contract.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Head

bahaha the seller replied "dont like ur attitute. my freind listed this item on my account and I dont have it he sold it before auction ended i just found out. Looks like u gonna buy a new one from retail for $100."

and he has since opened a 'cancellation case' stating the item is "out of stock" LOL. I'm going to send payment across anyways so he pays fees or something and neg feedback him.
Old 1st February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez4prez View Post
bahaha the seller replied "dont like ur attitute. my freind listed this item on my account and I dont have it he sold it before auction ended i just found out. Looks like u gonna buy a new one from retail for $100."

and he has since opened a 'cancellation case' stating the item is "out of stock" LOL. I'm going to send payment across anyways so he pays fees or something and neg feedback him.
Good plan. Do not agree to cancel! Also, forward the correspondence to eBay if possible.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Good plan. Do not agree to cancel! Also, forward the correspondence to eBay if possible.
Will do! I'm not even after the book anymore, since I can easily get the pdf for free if I really want to. It's the principle!!!!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search