Pensado's Place Sucks!
drezz
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Pensado's Place Sucks!

Am i the only one who thinks Pensado Place is cheesy as hell? The music being produced and featured in the show and the techniques are just lame pop tart cheese.
I am biased. I just dont dig this back slapping big budget in-crowd industry rubbish. I know this'll get flamed to hell, but where are the gearshows featuring classic albums and proper engineers who recorded all those classic records on tape with real rock stars.

Sorry, but all this self congratulatory embarrassing boring stuff is one more reason why the mainstream should be avoided by anyone who really loves music.

Am i alone here? Has taste and cultural significance really gone out of the window for music and production?

Discuss.
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

I think Pensado's place rocks and it is nice to be able to tune into colleagues and heroes in the industry discuss our work.

It is a fantastic boon to young engineers and musicians to get some idea of the continuity that exists in our business and get a sense of roots!
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

pensado is a god and a dude. imho. he's giving unpretensious mixing advice with low rent gear to the masses. for free. he is the very opposite of the "backslapping" music industry.

my 2c... but **** it im rite
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
Am i the only one who thinks Pensado Place is cheesy as hell? The music being produced and featured in the show and the techniques are just lame pop tart cheese.
I am biased. I just dont dig this back slapping big budget in-crowd industry rubbish. I know this'll get flamed to hell, but where are the gearshows featuring classic albums and proper engineers who recorded all those classic records on tape with real rock stars.

Sorry, but all this self congratulatory embarrassing boring stuff is one more reason why the mainstream should be avoided by anyone who really loves music.

Am i alone here? Has taste and cultural significance really gone out of the window for music and production?

Discuss.
Although I may agree you somewhat - don't slam the guy. He's intentions are good and I'm sure his show may inspire and often help others. Like anything else you may not like out there in the media - just don't watch and/or listen to it.
drezz
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm not slamming him, please dont assume that i am. He actually seems like a nice guy, someone you'd like to hang out with and chat to, but the music i've heard on the show is just so plastic and crappy and the tips and techniques are pretty average fare, there's nothing there thats made me go wow. it all seems quite pedestrian really. i think maybe i'm sounding a little unfair, the problem isnt so much the show perhaps, but the state of play in recording and production in general. theres a lot and i mean nearly all the mainstream commercial pop fare that sounds crap. its like, get a hold of some nice preamps and mics, get pro tools, get some slight skill not to f**k it all up too badly recording and engineering the lame music and then compress and edit the hell out of 96+ channels of audio and midi in pro tools.....

theres something very very wrong with that in my book. its like everyones asleep or something. its got so bad. pensado's place is just a microcosm of the banality of music production in general perhaps.

There is good music being made and recorded and there is artistry occuring and people are breaking new and exciting ground in music today, but you wont see it on shows like this.

this is not a hate thing here, these folks seem nice enough on the show, but it is just not doing it...........

things could be so much better than this people............
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear addict

LOL - I agree! But that's why after the first half dozen episodes I saw, I stopped watching. Everyone's at a different place on their journey and for some I'm sure his show works, for others it doesn't. I liked where I thought he why trying to go with the show when he first started, but it seemed to be more of an advertisement for plug-ins than anything else after a while...
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
the tips and techniques are pretty average fare, there's nothing there thats made me go wow. it all seems quite pedestrian really. ..
noobs get kinda criticised around here looking for 'magic bullet' tips rather than learning bread n butter mixing.

as for the music, that's written by others, hence DP being a "mixer"... matters not when explaining bread and butter mixing...

ok lets be constructive, which free tuts are you saying are better?
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
but where are the gearshows featuring classic albums and proper engineers who recorded all those classic records on tape with real rock stars.
You must have missed the episodes which featured mike Shipley, cla, jjp, Eric valentine etc, etc.

I think that the show is great.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

The interviews are great. His interviews cover a pretty vast array of musical styles and experience. All these people are giving it to you for free.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

free is goodnes
where cn i be fdning this peciado place?\
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgansound View Post
LOL - I agree! But that's why after the first half dozen episodes I saw, I stopped watching. Everyone's at a different place on their journey and for some I'm sure his show works, for others it doesn't.

Yep... Don't like it? Don't watch it.

I don't particularly love it but I'll tune in occasionally for a guest that seems interesting.

I can't say I've really learned anything from it but if I were 15 years younger, Im sure it;d be a cool resource?
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

This is one of my favourite ITLs

29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Seems like his heart is in the right place but sometimes I really wish the person who is being interviewed would have a chance to finish a thought before he or she is interrupted by a new question. Sometimes I just want to scream at the monitor and say "let the person finish what they are saying". Maybe it is just his way of moving the interview along but it is IMHO very annoying.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

This does not require so much hate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, looks a bit off to me. Those that watch ITL love it, go check out the youtube likes and comments and tell me they're not genuine (unlike some others round here)... so i guess if you dont like it, the solution is dont watch it.

To be fair I'm conflating ITL and the full programme somewhat, but to those who dont like them, can you point us to ones you do like or publically freely available music TV you'd recomend?

I love all these tuts myself, download them to mp3 and then spend the s****y london commute listening to talented successfully producers who love music talk about their work and love of music. Sweet!
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Discuss.
Change the channel. No one is forcing you to watch it, are they?
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Different guests on ITL is all I could want for I guess. You know, someone mixing a rock track, or heavy rock even.

I love Dave and Herb and the whole concept. I would love to see some tracking as well as mixing. All in all a great resource for up and comers
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

The guy is trying to produce shows of interest to a diverse audience. He's also trying to keep the quality high and the attitude relaxed. Imagine coming up with valid and interesting material for a regular show without a staff of pro writers.

The guests are varied, interesting and always professional. The banter is sometimes lame or get's stalled, but it feels mostly improvised; not easy. Production quality is quite good, considering the budget which is probably pretty low. That points to some talented people getting the most from their resources. Overall, damn good show. Try it as see what you come up with.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear nut

Sometimes it is a bit cheesy, then again considering most of the work Dave gets is it any wonder that a lot of the time it is terrible pop music, but if you can't take something useable from it then why bother watching? I've watched a few of the ITL's and I think only one interview with CLA which I found incredibly interesting. Cheesy? Yes. Self congratulatory? Maybe a little but it doesn't suck.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Seems like his heart is in the right place but sometimes I really wish the person who is being interviewed would have a chance to finish a thought before he or she is interrupted by a new question. Sometimes I just want to scream at the monitor and say "let the person finish what they are saying". Maybe it is just his way of moving the interview along but it is IMHO very annoying.
Dave may be a good engineer..But his interviewing skills suck. He talks all over the person being interviewed and instead of letting them tell there story he's constantly equating everything they say back to himself(don't you hate it when people do that in real life!!!!). Who does his research? The person being interviewed wastes so much time correcting him. This show could be a great way to get some great info from some great engineers. Unfortunately I don't think Dave has the skills or the mind for the job.
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgansound View Post
LOL - I agree! But that's why after the first half dozen episodes I saw, I stopped watching. Everyone's at a different place on their journey and for some I'm sure his show works, for others it doesn't. I liked where I thought he why trying to go with the show when he first started, but it seemed to be more of an advertisement for plug-ins than anything else after a while...
+1! The first 20 episodes or so are gold but once it became higher budget looking and they got sponsors...the shark hath been jumped.
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
To be fair I'm conflating ITL and the full programme somewhat, but to those who dont like them, can you point us to ones you do like or publically freely available music TV you'd recomend?

I love all these tuts myself, download them to mp3 and then spend the s****y london commute listening to talented successfully producers who love music talk about their work and love of music. Sweet!

Right in front of your face: Video Vault - Gearslutz.com

and

The Recording Revolution - YouTube

and

Real Home Recording - YouTube
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear interested

I personally have gotten so much out of the show, and can't praise Dave enough. Right when the show started was when I first started picking up more interest in mixing and it shot my learning curve wys ahead of what I would have picked up on my own. Pensado's Place actually played a big part in my decision to go study Audio Engineering (which graduate from in a week! :D), but ironically, I learned WAY more about mixing from ITLs and the guest interviews than my entire time at school. My demo reel was voted best in my class, and I know it's only because I'm constantly practicing the skills I've learned through Dave... Granted, I'm still fairly new to all this in comparison to you guys that have been at it for years and years and years, so I can understand if a lot of the stuff covered on the show might be like "well duh" for you, but I just feel an obligation to say Dave is doing a great thing here.
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
Change the channel. No one is forcing you to watch it, are they?
maybe he wants a refund!
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear nut

Anytime I watch a Pensados Place I am fully motivated to go into the studio - I love it for that. As JJP and Dave discussed when JJP interviewed Dave himself, back in the day the assistants used to meet in the train station and trade recall sheets like baseball cards. Today we have insights and tips from these guys on tap, for free.

The music in the show is the music that Dave works on, and it seems he needs to get clients permission to use it so not everything he works on is fair game for use in the show.

It's cheesy. Dave interrupts people all over the place. He forgets what he's talking about. He waffles. He can be totally random. Herb keeps the thing in line. THat's the charm of it for most people. Personally, Dave Pensado cracks me up - I'm always giggling away to myself - he seems like a lovely guy.

But we get to look around Skywalker sound and talk with CLA, look around Eric Valentines control room and see the Drumbrella and the robot mic. There's a tonne of cool stuff in there. I certanly haven't watched all of it, but I'ved watched a whole bunch of ITL's and about 30-40 of the 100 interviews.

I've often wanted to post on their FB page as it's important for them to know that it really does inspire and educate - if even the small tips that one gets, or the bag full of tips that others get.

Thumbs up Pensados place ! Each to their own I guess ;-D
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

The low key guy that Dave is is not as rare as you might think.
Most engineers are like racing drivers, focused to a fault, completely absorbed by their work and a little boring to hang with.
When was the last time you just hung out with an engineer of any field...? Hmmm? Unless you're an engineer...!!!
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Recording revolution and esp. the series of 31 tips in 31 days are excellent for sure, almost like a summer school programme before moving on to Dave's mixing 101. Will check out the others asap (hope they're on youtube as I've never managed to convert streaming audio to mp3 without a youtube-based app!... never got that "soundflower" or whatever it's called to work properly...)
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforit View Post
...he's constantly equating everything they say back to himself(don't you hate it when people do that in real life!!!!).
I know I do!

But seriously, if he had a suggestion box, this would be mine. He needs to focus tighter on the interviewee, hone his interviewing skills. I love that aspect of the show, but it drifts off point too much.

Still a great show, IMO.
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I know I do!

But seriously, if he had a suggestion box, this would be mine. He needs to focus tighter on the interviewee, hone his interviewing skills. I love that aspect of the show, but it drifts off point too much.

Still a great show, IMO.
Hehe... fair play, to be honest that's exactly what i thought when i heard JJP "interviewing" dave... Michael Brauer has some great words about ego and music production somewhere (pure realism / pragmatism as you'd expect from MB), funny old world...

I dont think it's ego that leads Dave off-topic / leads him to lack focus for what it's worth.... this is basement TV, waynes world, but even more so - from a brilliant successful guy who does TV on the side. For that, pure props. Never seen so much normality and humanity from a successful industry king (let alone in a free-view youtube tut)
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search