PSA: Brazil nightclub fire in Santa Maria kills 233
Old 28th January 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
PSA: Brazil nightclub fire in Santa Maria kills 233

Old 28th January 2013
  #2
Gear maniac
 

And all the fire exits was blocked, so there where no chanse any people could sneak in for free :(
Old 28th January 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
iluvatar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmj View Post
And all the fire exits was blocked, so there where no chanse any people could sneak in for free :(
Are you serious or are you kidding?

-Dan.
Old 28th January 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
I think he's dead serious. Some news outlets have reported that as fact. It is very very sad.

May God be with the families of all those who perished. RIP.
Old 28th January 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmj View Post
And all the fire exits was blocked, so there where no chanse any people could sneak in for free :(
I read that bouncers were blocking the doors because you have to settle your tab before leaving. By the time they realized what was happening, there was a stampede and a pile of bodies blocking the exits. What a horrible thing for all of those poor people. Truly sad.
Old 29th January 2013
  #6
Gear nut
 
nicolasmelo1's Avatar
 

hey, i'm from brazil man, and this was some serious stuff. the people from the band used pyrothecnichs and then a spark got into the acoustic isolation. The people tried to escape but the security blocked the exit because they didn't saw it was on fire. That's because sometimes in clubs like this have lots of fights and then people try to escape without paying (it happened to me once here in my city) but that tragedy happened because many clubs here work above the limit of people and then it's almost impossible to escape or run.

Yep, and this was trully sad, my hole country is shocked with this
Old 30th January 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmelo1 View Post
hey, i'm from brazil man, and this was some serious stuff. the people from the band used pyrothecnichs and then a spark got into the acoustic isolation. The people tried to escape but the security blocked the exit because they didn't saw it was on fire. That's because sometimes in clubs like this have lots of fights and then people try to escape without paying (it happened to me once here in my city) but that tragedy happened because many clubs here work above the limit of people and then it's almost impossible to escape or run.

Yep, and this was trully sad, my hole country is shocked with this

It's sad to see history repeating itself. This happened at a Great White concert back in 2003. Pyro igniting acoustic foam...many people died and others had life changing injuries. So very sad!

Watch this video if you can stomach it:
Old 31st January 2013
  #8
Gear nut
 
nicolasmelo1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
It's sad to see history repeating itself. This happened at a Great White concert back in 2003. Pyro igniting acoustic foam...many people died and others had life changing injuries. So very sad!

Watch this video if you can stomach it:
WHOA, i couldn't watch it until the end, this is really heartbreaker, see all this people crying and desperate to save their lives. if people are going to put acoustic isolation i hope that they do as many studios around there: they put it inside the wall.
because man pyrothecnics are really cool but really dangerous, like playing with fire, there should be more laws for the use of it, buying one for playing inside something is like buying fireworks to launch inside a house, really dangerous.
Don't know, just my opinion about this thing
Old 31st January 2013
  #9
Gear maniac
 

Rockwool is a great Acoustic isolation. Noone use it?
Cant put that rockwool on fire
Old 31st January 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmelo1 View Post
WHOA, i couldn't watch it until the end, this is really heartbreaker, see all this people crying and desperate to save their lives. if people are going to put acoustic isolation i hope that they do as many studios around there: they put it inside the wall.
because man pyrothecnics are really cool but really dangerous, like playing with fire, there should be more laws for the use of it, buying one for playing inside something is like buying fireworks to launch inside a house, really dangerous.
Don't know, just my opinion about this thing
From my understanding the fire code/laws were broken. Laws aren't going to stop stupid people from making big mistakes that kill people.
Old 31st January 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Yeah they had cheap acoustic foam up on the walls that lit up and was spreading like 1ft a second. You had 2 minutes from the start of the station fire to get out or you died. Horrible.
Old 31st January 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Sir Chris's Avatar
 

I don't think cheap acoustic foam or any of that stuff matters. After the 2003 fire with Great White the US banned all pyrotechnics indoors. Surprised other countries didn't follow suit consider the around the world coverage that incident got.

The lates now is that the club owner in Brazil tried to kill himself.

I wish everyone affected by this the best.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 31st January 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris View Post
After the 2003 fire with Great White the US banned all pyrotechnics indoors.
Fairly insane that that's what it takes to legislate common sense safety laws. But as Doom says, laws don't give people common sense.

In the early 80's, I used to play this place called Club 57 in NYC. It was in some old building where you had to walk through long, narrow hallways to get to a large room where shoulder to shoulder people were smoking pot and ciggies. If I recall, there wasn't even an easy stage exit out the back, because it was in a basement or something.

Place used to literally give me fire nightmares, and I hated going there for a gig. I was so happy to read in the mid 80's that it had closed, because I was always expecting to see a "fire at 57" story in the news. It's a frikkin miracle that this sort of thing wasn't happening more often back then.
Old 31st January 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Sir Chris's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Fairly insane that that's what it takes to legislate common sense safety laws. But as Doom says, laws don't give people common sense.

In the early 80's, I used to play this place called Club 57 in NYC. It was in some old building where you had to walk through long, narrow hallways to get to a large room where shoulder to shoulder people were smoking pot and ciggies. If I recall, there wasn't even an easy stage exit out the back, because it was in a basement or something.

Place used to literally give me fire nightmares, and I hated going there for a gig. I was so happy to read in the mid 80's that it had closed, because I was always expecting to see a "fire at 57" story in the news. It's a frikkin miracle that this sort of thing wasn't happening more often back then.
Haha I know what you mean. I get that way whenever I go to a packed show at Bowery Electric in Manhattan lol.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 1st February 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris View Post
I don't think cheap acoustic foam or any of that stuff matters. After the 2003 fire with Great White the US banned all pyrotechnics indoors. Surprised other countries didn't follow suit consider the around the world coverage that incident got.

The lates now is that the club owner in Brazil tried to kill himself.

I wish everyone affected by this the best.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
actually the foam was a huge factor.

from wiki

"Sealed Air Corporation agreed to pay $25 million as settlement. Sealed Air made soundproofing foam installed in the club.[23] The State of Rhode Island and the town of West Warwick agreed to pay $10 million as settlement.[24]"

That foam doesnt meet any building material regulations and is kind of fly by night as people put it on their walls. The foam is what initially caught on fire.

also from wiki

"The fire started just seconds into headlining band Great White's opening song, "Desert Moon," when pyrotechnics set off by the band's tour manager, Daniel Biechele, ignited flammable acoustic foam on both sides of the drummer's alcove at the back of the stage. "

so yeah dont set that crap on fire.

The Station nightclub fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 7th February 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Sir Chris's Avatar
 

I wasn't saying that the foam wasn't a big factor on this particular incident. I was saying that pyrotechnics don't belong indoors. The venue ****ed up by letting a band set off fireworks indoors. At this point setting off pyrotechnics inside a building will start a fire, whether its cause of cheap acoustic foam, napkins, peoples clothes, the bottle of 151 at the bar, the wood from furniture, the rug on stage, etc.

It defies common sense that in this day and age there's still some idiot running a venue, somewhere in the world, letting bands set off fireworks.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
BevvyB / So much gear, so little time!
15
kieran kelly / Music Computers
4
Remoteness / So much gear, so little time!
5
Luko / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
2

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.