Problem with the Behringer ADA800
New Reply
Subscribe
brixtonslag
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear interested

Problem with the Behringer ADA800

What I have isn't a recording studio in the conventional sense. I run an Alesis HD24 that is fed by three Behringer ADA8000's via ADAT into the recorder.

The good news is, the signals run into the recorder with no problem whatsoever, the bad news is, it appears to shut down the analogue outs on the back of the Berhinger units.

This is particularly problematic for me, as this rig is a location recorder. Not strictly speaking a studio... I need the use of the analogue outs so that the venue engineer can feed the channels that he wishes to into the multicore.

Can anyone out there present me with a solution? I would be most grateful.

http://about.me/james.greene
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

it would appear to be the time where I suggest you purchase a pc laptop and buy a good ol' trusty ad/da that doesnt suck the vibrancy out of your recording thumbsup
brixtonslag
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear interested

Yeah, the Berries were only supposed to be a temporary measure anyway. I've got in touch with their tech department though. Just waiting for them to get back.
brixtonslag
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear interested

But as for the laptop, I'm still on a 2009 Macbook Pro. I don't think it'll take it.
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to ivmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtonslag View Post
What I have isn't a recording studio in the conventional sense. I run an Alesis HD24 that is fed by three Behringer ADA8000's via ADAT into the recorder.

The good news is, the signals run into the recorder with no problem whatsoever, the bad news is, it appears to shut down the analogue outs on the back of the Berhinger units.

This is particularly problematic for me, as this rig is a location recorder. Not strictly speaking a studio... I need the use of the analogue outs so that the venue engineer can feed the channels that he wishes to into the multicore.

Can anyone out there present me with a solution? I would be most grateful.
Silly question: you have an ADAT lightpipe running back into the ADA8000s input, yes? The ADA8000 is designed to send the front analogue inputs out of the unit only via the ADAT out and then send analogue signals out of the rear outputs only if you have signal running to the ADAT in (via lightpipe). The ADA8000 is not designed to act as an analogue "pass-through".

Tim's Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill brown View Post
Keep it simple - get good sounds at source - do not rely on all the technology. Go with your instincts/gut feeling. Don't mic too close.
brixtonslag
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear interested

I simply have three each running from the outputs of the berries and into the back of the HD24.

So would repeating the pattern with leading three more ADAT cables from the outputs of the HD24 and into the ADAT ins of the berries do anything to the analogue outs?
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtonslag View Post
I simply have three each running from the outputs of the berries and into the back of the HD24.

So would repeating the pattern with leading three more ADAT cables from the outputs of the HD24 and into the ADAT ins of the berries do anything to the analogue outs?
Yes, it should give them a signal to output - assuming that there is something coming back from the HD24 on those ADAT connections. As ivmike said, the analog inputs aren't connected to the analog outputs in any way - to get something out of those, you have to feed an ADAT signal into the ADA from somewhere.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to ivmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianww View Post
Yes, it should give them a signal to output - assuming that there is something coming back from the HD24 on those ADAT connections. As ivmike said, the analog inputs aren't connected to the analog outputs in any way - to get something out of those, you have to feed an ADAT signal into the ADA from somewhere.
This is spot-on. If the outputs aren't receiving any signal, they'll have nothing to output.

Think of it like this:

INPUTS (XLR or TRS)
CH 1 ---
CH 2 |
CH 3 |--------|\
CH 4 |--------| \
CH 5 |--------| / to ADAT OUT (terminating, in your case, at the HD24)
CH 6 |--------|/
CH 7 |
CH 8 ---

OUTPUTS (XLR)
CH 1 ---
CH 2 |
CH 3 | ---- /|
CH 4 | ----/ |
CH 5 | ----\ | ------ to ADAT IN (starting, in your case, at the HD24)
CH 6 | ---- \|
CH 7 |
CH 8 ---
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search