Fixing the mud in my Mix... OMG
New Reply
Subscribe
TeamContra
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

Fixing the mud in my Mix... OMG

Hi guys, Im trying to fix this issue that seems to be whats holding me back this past year and its mud in my mix. Ive been talking with my ME and he says its the bass and low mid that have all the mud. Now I tried my best to tune my room for mixing but since I don't have all the tools at the moment to get a room reading, Im trying my best to work with what I have. I will provide a few pics and audio samples for you guys to listen to and I hope at least to keep some positive/negative feed back.

First to the audio samples.
Ok so I had the bass player (a bit off in his take but was in a hurry) came in the other day and re-did this track real fast, this is not set in stone but only as an audio example or test I wanted to try. Originally we used 3 tracks, Gain DI, and the other two tracks are mic up with a Carvin 1200 Redeye head, Ampeg 8x10, Re20, and MD421. So it was crap cause it was all muddy. So I tried something different, we used two new tracks, clean DI with a SansAmp pedal ver. and a MXR M-80 gain which what we will be listing too.
I used the THE SYSTEMATIC MIXING GUIDE (surgical approach) from Ermin.

Heres a sample of just Bass and Kick
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10714692/Sc...ass%20Only.mp3

Heres a sample of the whole mix
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10714692/Sc...with%20all.mp3

And last a sample with out the bass in the mix
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10714692/Scorn%20no%20Bass.mp3

Those are some small clips over all, and they are not mastered, its only a mix.
I notice with I mute the bass the whole mix lacks body and low end, like its thin and week. I tried cranking the GTR and more punch on the kick but it still lacks body, that feel the bass adds.

I have some pics now to show you what I did.
Heres a the track view of my set up, two tracks, one clean and one gain into a aux.
[IMG][/IMG]

Heres a Pic of the SansAmp chain
[IMG][/IMG]

Heres a pic of the MXR
[IMG][/IMG]

And last heres a pic of the Bass Aux
[IMG][/IMG]

Last heres just an audio clip of bass (No Eq no comp etc. DRY) and drums.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10714692/sc...bass%20NFX.mp3

I just want to thank anyone for taking the time to read, listen, and checking the pics out. Im doing this just to better my skill to be a better AE. Here we go...

Moss
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm just going to go out on a limb here... I don't think there is any problem with mud in your mix. I think your mixing room may be the issue and you have room nodes going on accentuating frequencies that are throwing you off. Have you listened to your mix in various other environments such as a car, truck, headphones earbuds etc?
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
I'm just going to go out on a limb here... I don't think there is any problem with mud in your mix. I think your mixing room may be the issue and you have room nodes going on accentuating frequencies that are throwing you off. Have you listened to your mix in various other environments such as a car, truck, headphones earbuds etc?
I have it it sounds ok to me, but I don't fully understand your saying?
You think the mix is ok with no mud? If thats the case then my room would sound ok no? I tried this trick, I was using Lamb of God as a reference for this mix, I would stand in the corner of my room and hear all this low end from the LOG mix, then I would put my mix, (yes I matched the audio lvls) and hear way more boom, so I would drop some bass or kick and try to match the low end. I don't really know if thats stupid of me but I though it was getting a tighter sound over all.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

As you add more true low-end to the mix, you may (as what happens to me) be adding too much low mid to the mix which is where the mud truly is. If you're adding 20 to 80 hz, you may be inadvertently boosting the 160 to 250hz range.

Also, don't forget that when listening to Lamb of God, you are listening to a mastered CD where selective frequencies have been boosted or cut to achieve the very goal I speak of, and what you are looking for.

Room nodes, btw, and anomalies in a room where certain frequencies hit resonance points that make the whole room "vibrate" to those particular frequencies and over accentuate the problem you are dealing with. I grew tired of a project in 2011 after spending nearly a year at it and had a colleague mix the album. When I went to his mixing suite, there was a problem with room nodes that affected the perception of the mix... but in reality, it wasn't a problem outside that room.
TeamContra
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
As you add more true low-end to the mix, you may (as what happens to me) be adding too much low mid to the mix which is where the mud truly is. If you're adding 20 to 80 hz, you may be inadvertently boosting the 160 to 250hz range.

Also, don't forget that when listening to Lamb of God, you are listening to a mastered CD where selective frequencies have been boosted or cut to achieve the very goal I speak of, and what you are looking for.

Room nodes, btw, and anomalies in a room where certain frequencies hit resonance points that make the whole room "vibrate" to those particular frequencies and over accentuate the problem you are dealing with. I grew tired of a project in 2011 after spending nearly a year at it and had a colleague mix the album. When I went to his mixing suite, there was a problem with room nodes that affected the perception of the mix... but in reality, it wasn't a problem outside that room.
Well I hope I can get my room fixed soon. It's bugging me, I'm not sure what else I can do for the time being. I do have some good headphones, I guess I can try.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

You didn't mention the bass, the converters and the physical recording-chain.
Almost any mid-60's Fender Precision
can solve lots of problems.
The RE20 is great for basscabs, especially Ampeg.
Recording several amp, DI and pedal-signals seperately is one thing. Wanting to mix them all is another.
Keep it simple.
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
You didn't mention the bass, the converters and the physical recording-chain.
Almost any mid-60's Fender Precision
can solve lots of problems.
The RE20 is great for basscabs, especially Ampeg.
Recording several amp, DI and pedal-signals seperately is one thing. Wanting to mix them all is another.
Keep it simple.
The chain was,
Bass was a Conklin groovetone 7 string, into split between a Sans split into a MXR both into API 3124 into Apogee Symphony.
TeamContra
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear addict

pump
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search