Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

I was removed from the discussion

Wow.

Ok.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

You are not the only one. I posted the same idea three times and was removed three times.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

I was going to post a response to the "what happened to Jim Williams" thread, but that was locked too. Just when I was about to say "boys, take it outside".

Apparently the "moderators" are thinning in their skins. Instead of 'moderating' and calming down folks, some are as aggressive in treating people as a LA BMW driver at rush hour. If anything, they are just as responsible for the crass and uncouth behavior we experience here.

Some will not put up with it and will venture over to more civilized forums.
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I was going to post a response to the "what happened to Jim Williams" thread, but that was locked too. Just when I was about to say "boys, take it outside".

Apparently the "moderators" are thinning in their skins. Instead of 'moderating' and calming down folks, some are as aggressive in treating people as a LA BMW driver at rush hour. If anything, they are just as responsible for the crass and uncouth behavior we experience here.

What are some as you put it civilized forums? I like the bass talk. Doomsday prep forum. I see dbuba all the time on the ampex mailing list.
This is a crazy business. I don't have respect for someone unless they flame out at sometime. It's working with musicians in close quarters for years will make you crazy ( or more crazy).
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Unfortunately that one was derailed by one very aggressive, abusive poster. He may be your friend (although I won't make any assumptions there) but some of the private messages and posts that were deleted completely justified any action taken against him. If he IS someone you genuinely know and like, I'd suggest a quiet word in his ear about his conduct.

For the record, and to counter the "fascist" name calling, most of the moderation on that thread wasn't me!

Quote:
That's a kind of weird view to take on things if you ask me, although of course you're entitled to it (wouldn't want to be called a fascist for no reason again!). I'm not totally sure how moderators can be responsible for threads that spiral out of control before we say anything.

Quote:
When you find one, be sure to let us know where it is

If I've ever helped you with a technical problem or provided you with advice you found useful, you can more than repay me by checking out, and maybe buying a couple of songs, by a singer I'm working closely with. It would be much appreciated!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/preorder/...an/id513648911

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Robert-Ha...robert+hardman

</Shameless Plug>
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Then there's the closing of the "plugin" thread.... ?? I don't get it.

If there is one thing that bothers me about forums like this, it's lack of accountability. If you think someone is out of line, LET THEM KNOW. Just closing the thread doesn't help anyone... I don't understand what the problem was, and if it was me, then tell me so I can adjust my participation to be more aligned with the rules.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

You know what I find even funnier? The retune to 444 thread... and a bunch of posts deleted there. That thread was so hilarious and random, how could anything be worthy of deletion? Craziness!
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

In one of the threads being spoken about, all the moderator text deletions were accompanied by explanations, plus requests to quit bickering. This included moderator comments on posts I'd written. One moderator edit said "last chance".
In two of the threads being talked about at least one moderator mentioned PM exchanges with the offending parties. Highly unlikely people didn't know what was about to happen.
The OP claims "I was removed from the discussion" and yet the thread is still open, and about 3/4 or more of what they wrote is still there.
I had text removed from my posts in that thread. Am I also a victim?
Remember, Gearslutz is not a democracy, it's a fun forum, created by a private individual and moderated by volunteers.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Gearslutz is not a democracy, it's a fun forum, created by a private individual and moderated by volunteers.
While it's not a democracy, this forum only exists because we are here... and their bills are paid (partially? or entirely?) because there are a large number of us who come back often and have eyeballs that read advertisements.

Thanks for the info on the deletions, I wasn't a part of those threads so I didn't know that. Point taken!
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

While generally agreeing with you, there are 195,000 members of Gearslutz, a small percentage of whom I presume ever get 'removed from the discussion' and I would think the main reason is so the majority can enjoy their forum.
How many have flocked to this topic to express their outrage at a few text deletions and locked arguments?
Murray
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
In one of the threads being spoken about, all the moderator text deletions were accompanied by explanations, plus requests to quit bickering. This included moderator comments on posts I'd written. One moderator edit said "last chance".
In two of the threads being talked about at least one moderator mentioned PM exchanges with the offending parties. Highly unlikely people didn't know what was about to happen.
The OP claims "I was removed from the discussion" and yet the thread is still open, and about 3/4 or more of what they wrote is still there.
I had text removed from my posts in that thread. Am I also a victim?
Remember, Gearslutz is not a democracy, it's a fun forum, created by a private individual and moderated by volunteers.
The thread is still there, apparently open, but I cannot access or post in the thread, I just get a message that says I've been removed from the discussion.

Can you still access and post in that thread?
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
While generally agreeing with you, there are 195,000 members of Gearslutz, a small percentage of whom I presume ever get 'removed from the discussion' and I would think the main reason is so the majority can enjoy their forum.
How many have flocked to this topic to express their outrage at a few text deletions and locked arguments?
Well, I would guess the tiny percentage who get "removed from" discussions are the same who are doing most of the posting.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

I made an off-topic (but to me, quite humorous!) comment in the Adam Levine thread that was "disappeared". I know I made it, I even saw that somebody quoted it in full and made an even-more off topic and perhaps even 'risque' comment.

The little arrow that indicates you have a post in the thread was also missing. As if I had never posted. I have seen posts DELETED before, but there was always a box where the post used to be. And a message saying "post deleted by Moderator so-and-so. Reason: inappropriate" or something like that.

I can certainly see WHY my post was deleted. It had nothing to do with audio or music, and while I thought it was "clean", it inspired responses that got increasingly off-color.

Still kind of strange to have it vanish as if it never was. It seems counter-productive. A message saying why it was deleted would have been instructive.

If I was a different person, I might have just assumed I hallucinated the whole affair and I would have learned nothing!

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
GS Community Manager

My Recordings/Credits

We try to explain where possible, and communicate via various channels, whether it's in the thread, in the deletion notices, in warnings/infractions or in PMs. As has been mentioned, it actually happens a lot and mods do try to communicate where possible.

But sometimes it seems pretty obvious that a thread has run its course and beyond, and maybe everyone is to blame for it going so far off track. That's when stuff will often just get locked without notice... it seems like it should be self-explanatory.

You can always PM me or another mod if you want clarity... we're people too, and as long as you're not rude we'll chat!

Gearslutz on Facebook!

My personal Twitter - @WhitecatTV
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Unfortunately that one was derailed by one very aggressive, abusive poster. He may be your friend (although I won't make any assumptions there) but some of the private messages and posts that were deleted completely justified any action taken against him. If he IS someone you genuinely know and like, I'd suggest a quiet word in his ear about his conduct.

For the record, and to counter the "fascist" name calling, most of the moderation on that thread wasn't me!

That's a kind of weird view to take on things if you ask me, although of course you're entitled to it (wouldn't want to be called a fascist for no reason again!). I'm not totally sure how moderators can be responsible for threads that spiral out of control before we say anything.
I don't even know who most of you are here, you do know me only because I use my given name, not a handle. As such, I am responsible for my comments only. Anonomous posters I can't give serious attention to. I didn't bother to read the entire thread, a Reader's Digest scan tells me enough.

Rather than responding and getting 'down in the dirt' as they say, how about using moderation techiques that have kept other forums from ending in a train wreck? Simply delete those posts or comments. If these folks are rude, block them. It's not that hard to maintain some civility here, IF those in charge learn to do their jobs without adding to the bickering.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post

You can always PM me or another mod if you want clarity... we're people too, and as long as you're not rude we'll chat!
Not so true. I PMed you, concerning a warning received, asking where I had "insulted" someone (in a cable thread that got deleted), I never received any response on your behalf...

Cheers.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Usually in other well-moderated forums the moderator contacts the originator with an explanation why the entry was removed. This is good as then the originator knows what was the issue and could adjust his or her posting style.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
Usually in other well-moderated forums the moderator contacts the originator with an explanation why the entry was removed. This is good as then the originator knows what was the issue and could adjust his or her posting style.
And that's (generally) what happens here too. Obviously none of us is perfect..
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
I don't even know who most of you are here, you do know me only because I use my given name, not a handle. As such, I am responsible for my comments only. Anonomous posters I can't give serious attention to. I didn't bother to read the entire thread, a Reader's Digest scan tells me enough.

Rather than responding and getting 'down in the dirt' as they say, how about using moderation techiques that have kept other forums from ending in a train wreck? Simply delete those posts or comments. If these folks are rude, block them. It's not that hard to maintain some civility here, IF those in charge learn to do their jobs without adding to the bickering.
If you're referring to me - I wasn't in charge when bickering, the thread was revived when your mate decided to start a one poster attack! Since then it's been clean up time...and as you might notice, his comments HAVE been deleted.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

I had that happen to me. If the thread still exists, you can post in it again....in about 4 months.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup77 View Post
Not so true. I PMed you, concerning a warning received, asking where I had "insulted" someone (in a cable thread that got deleted), I never received any response on your behalf...

Cheers.
I have to agree. A good friend of mine had a problem like this a while back and sent messages to several moderators without a response. She was quite respectful in her inquiries.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
some are as aggressive in treating people as a LA BMW driver at rush hour.
Haha must be universal, beemer drivers in the UK are the same!!

Sent from my GT-I8190
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshire View Post
I had that happen to me. If the thread still exists, you can post in it again....in about 4 months.
3 months and 29 days to go!
27th January 2013
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Jules Rules

Quote:
I don't even know who most of you are here, you do know me only because I use my given name, not a handle.
You're not the only one! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup77 View Post
You know, I think sometimes moderators in any forum can be a bit quick and generous with the "infractions". (I'll never forget my first here, for complaining about being insulted) BUT, they are extremely good with communication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
This is NOT a democracy nor a paid membership forum. It's Jules' place and he gets volunteers to help him out. He who has the gold, makes the rules!

Jules' Rules. LOL
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search