What do you contribute to this electronic music forum?
Futureman84
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

What do you contribute to this electronic music forum?

I think this thread may be doomed, but I'll give it a shot.

Lately I've seen some pretty ugly threads around here.. A few friends have told me they can no longer be bothered visiting here as a result of reading that trash.

I have a hard time understanding why some people post.. Sure, a light hearted joke is all good.. The occasional clowning around does make me laugh.
But the personal attacks are rather childish, and I honestly don't know why some people bother posting that junk.
(I don't think I've been a victim of anything, more of an observation)

So, I ask you.. "What do you contribute to around here?"

Are you a helper? A reviewer? A nurturer? Provide technical assistance? Do you bring positive things to the table?

Or are you critical? argumentative? difficult? childish? Bring negative things to the table?

Thoughts?
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post

Lately I've seen some pretty ugly threads around here.. A few friends have told me they can no longer be bothered visiting here as a result of reading that trash.

I have a hard time understanding why some people post.. Sure, a light hearted joke is all good.. The occasional clowning around does make me laugh.
But the personal attacks are rather childish, and I honestly don't know why some people bother posting that junk.

Are you a helper? A reviewer? A nurturer? Provide technical assistance? Do you bring positive things to the table?

Or are you critical? argumentative? difficult? childish? Bring negative things to the table?

Thoughts?

Experience with context.

The nice thing about this forum is,if someone is seeking advice on, say, a Moog, people can chim in with their DIRECT experiences withtha Moog AND how it compares to other models.

it's in-the-field knowledge.

Now, if you see someone ragging on a dub question or heated debate, keep in mind, there's people here who have given a lot of actaul time andeffort to this board, so to see the saem questiions asked over and over... or the obvious "just too lazy to look up an answer that is already well -covered here," then yes, you're going to see animosity- naturally.

I can literally point to specific threads hedlining the froum now to 100% prove the point.

-a
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear interested

Good questions to put and quite timely!

As we can all see, the web address is gearslutz.com, not existentialslutz.com . Lots of thoughtful people here no doubt about it, but there are other places to discuss/ debate / argue and rage for and against the light.

I used to frequent some other music sites, mainly to learn technical stuff and processes, some times to chip in where I've come across something. Most of us know just how important a great site can be for solving problems and finding new ways of doing things.

Unfortunately, some of those sites have gone to the dogs while they get completely bogged down with their own interpersonal dramas.

So far in my experience GS has been a great no BS site for sharing knowledge and well considered views. May it stay that way!
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

1500 posts of not much.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
The nice thing about this forum is,if someone is seeking advice on, say, a Moog, people can chim in with their DIRECT experiences withtha Moog AND how it compares to other models.
And only words, never any audio, ever! You almost have to threaten people because getting a short mp3 attachment or a SoundCloud demo is like wringing blood from a stone - only the stone will give in earlier.

I think the pop sound sources thread is pretty useful, and I hope that I've put some people on the right track w.r.t. synthesis.

I think the question is a good one, though. Often you see threads that contain a dozen posts of bickering before someone actually turns up with a useful answer (if that happens at all). With every forum, however; lurk first (read but don't post), then contribute (reply but don't start threads), then start asking questions. It gives you a good feel for what's considered appropriate.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear addict

Peanut gallery oneliners.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Dude for ****s sake. Didn't you use the search function to see all the other threads about what people contribute?

10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
Dude for ****s sake. Didn't you use the search function to see all the other threads about what people contribute?

Thats funny.

What do I contribute to the forum? I like to think that I call Bu11$h!t when I read it on the forum. I usually try to do it in a way that is non confrontational.

I also try to answer questions for which I feel certain I am adding something to the discussion rather than just adding noise (speculation).
Futureman84
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

I have no problem people calling bull5hit when it's based around fact and not opinion..

Some people don't seem to know the difference.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

What do I contribute to the forum?

I call bullshit when I read it on the forum. I usually try to do it in a way that is confrontational.

I also try to answer questions.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post

Thoughts?
Beligerence, misinformation and a lowering of the common denominator are my most recognisable contributions

Sent from my GT-I8190
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
I, unfortunately, take more than I contribute. Some very knowledgeable people here.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

I reply to lots of threads and end up canceling more than I post....
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Moderate to mild relevance.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Jamz
Humour
FM Expertise
Someone pretty to look at. (FLAME WARRRR!)
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Banned

providing a leg for humping halos and jubonacs
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Vegetarian recipes
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

I don't get the moan.
Some of the most brilliant advice, basic and professional, I've read in GS.
Not everyone is a purist.
Maybe you think you need something more.
What are you looking for?
If you don't know what you're looking for you're never gonna find it.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

I brought snacks once.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

It's not always what you give, it's what GS gives back.
I got a warning once.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
I brought snacks once.
Did you bring enough for everyone? Apparently not.

But seriously, just like everyone else who posts here, I contribute my opinion. Does anyone contribute anything more than their opinion, and an occasional link to a song, mix, product or someone else's opinion?

Honestly, I think most members use GS as a place to unwind and kill a few free moments by debating audio topics and occasionally other things. I don't come here for an education, or to be mentored, or to satisfy an obligation to be an informational philanthropist. I come for the communication, whatever that ends up being on any given day. I, or anyone else here, owes GS nothing beyond basic respect for other members.

That desire for communication is destined to spill into topics other than audio and gear, because people develop relationships of a sort here, and you don't just talk to your "friends" about one topic. GS stays on point very well, overall, but it's a community, and communities need diversity of every kind to grow and profit.

Perhaps GS needs a section where anything audio related is off limits, so that people can freely drift and explore other member's opinions and world views in a totally eclectic setting without fear of hijacking threads and creating posts that might not match the section title. And a bit of heat generation is inevitable. People almost always eventually calm down and put up a peace sign.

'course, that's just my...
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013

Cuckoo.old's recipe for 'What do I contribute to Gearslutz?'

I provide a smidgeon of humour, lightly mixed with a dollop of sarcasm.
User also inserts several synthesizer specific links, news and titillating tidbits,
lightly steamed together with a mild array of simple yet clever dialogues and plays on words (of course the pun's intended, why would you mention it otherwise?), often engaging in pointless yet potent games of 'Quotation Tennis and Foppery' with Ozy.

Of course the Cuckoo could not in any way consider himself a proper member of this forum if he hadn't at least competed in one episode of the Analogue/Digital/Hardware/Software/All VSTs are shit mini-series in constant production.

Indeed, I believe I have. contributed quite a number of

Finally, serve up with several piss-poor yet highly evocative metaphors, conspiracy theories and extremely low-brow literary allusions, floating on a floating bed of mildly sincere semi-relevant vaguely electronic musically related jimjam.

That's kind of what I contribute. Also, I hate the emoticon and much prefer to use and

Please note that the Cuckoo (now what is a Cuckoo.old anyway ?) has been involved in the production of the these GS Top of the Chart Threads including such roles as Chief Composer, Biter of 'Will he bite?' threads, Troll Intern, and author of Volatile Titles Designed to Provoke and Ultimately cause enough Shitfights to get thread/s shut down.

Why does every thread in 'Music Business' forum have the same 3 posters arguing?

Idolizing pure analog synthesis...justifiable or just in vogue stupidity?

Left of field Electronic Music : The Weird Stuff

Holy Cow : Amanda Palmer raises $1.2 M on kickstarter but won't pay her musicians!

Awesome YouTube Mashups - Works of Art made with Samples

Why stuff sucks today!
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old View Post
Cuckoo.old's recipe for 'What do I contribute to Gearslutz?'

I provide a smidgeon of humour, lightly mixed with a dollop of sarcasm.
User also inserts several synthesizer specific links, news and titillating tidbits,
lightly steamed together with a mild array of simple yet clever dialogues and plays on words (of course the pun's intended, why would you mention it otherwise?), often engaging in pointless yet potent games of 'Quotation Tennis and Foppery' with Ozy.

Of course the Cuckoo could not in any way consider himself a proper member of this forum if he hadn't at least competed in one episode of the Analogue/Digital/Hardware/Software/All VSTs are shit mini-series in constant production, as well as quite inadequately shifting from first to third person in a jerky and non-convincing manner.

Finally, serve up with several piss-poor yet highly evocative metaphors, conspiracy theories and extremely low-brow literary allusions, floating on a floating bed of mildly sincere semi-relevant vaguely electronic musically related jimjam.

That's kind of what I contribute (poorly shift back into first person)

Please note that this user has been involved in the production of the these GS Top of the Chart Threads including such roles as Chief Composer, Mood Compressor, Troll Intern, and Volatile Title Designed to Provoke and Ultimately cause enough Shitfights to get shut down.
As a major GS antagonist I read your posts with trepidation...but this made me larf...:D

Sent from my GT-I8190
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
It's not always what you give, it's what GS gives back.
I got a warning once.
lol i've had 3... all pathetic.. all reversed after i pm'ed the level-headed mods, the ones we have with good sence.. i'd be banned now if they weren't..

i actually got a warning for deleting one of my own posts last month.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Head

Can you favourite posts in gearslutz.? cuckoo.old you'd get a fav for your post here

I try to:

- be helpful to people in lowend when I can.

- Put bullies in their place in that horrid mpc thread [ I only went in there to see if people thought the thing was anygood. ]

- hang around moan zone to kill time at my dead end job and get an insight into the weird world of a gearslutz' head.

I like it here anyway
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
FM Expertise

The FM knowledge base is of a high order but underrated in electronic music today. I myself have a bit of knowledge about the 'poor man's synthesis'.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

I got the sickest PWM from my SY77 by inverting two waveforms from one another and then using the mod wheel to sweep through the phase, almost sounded like something doepfer would make!
11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

I try to be helpful, using what limited knowledge I have to help whoever is asking for help.

I also joke a lot, which not many people like sometimes....
11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerianroot View Post
Can you favourite posts in gearslutz.? cuckoo.old you'd get a fav for your post here
Yes, there's a thumbs up/down icon just above the quote button.

It's kind of like this but not really at all

It seems to be broken however as it only permits me to click once. The secret to getting around this is to get in your car and drive to the houses of people you know, libraries, internet cafe's, and any other places you know which are hooked up to the 'net'. Make sure you use your friends accounts on GS and make them register if they're not.

Another trick you could try could be to create multiple-identities. Just log out and start afresh, but don't worry, you won't get in trouble. If fact I think the mods really like it because it gives them the appearance of getting more traffic than they really do. Sometimes the mods get bored as well, so they are happy to be kept busy by creative users showing their appreciation of the site and people who use the site. Also, it's really hard to get in trouble with a new identity because you just tell the mods you haven't gotten any infractions or warnings under your new identity.

Thirdly you could create a program that gives me a million thumbs up and anytime someone clicks the thumbs-down it does a Florida 2000 (there was some surfing contest with this sort of thing but I forget the name) and reverses the result, so a loss is really a win and everyone wins. This kind of thing really reduces tensions as nobody has to feel 'less' than anyone else.

So yes, plenty of ways to show your appreciation.*disclaimer

*This is a disclaimer
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search