Login / Register

Why are people paying $.99 per MP3 when you can buy the whole CD for $.99 on ebay?
New Reply
Subscribe
cdog
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Why are people paying $.99 per MP3 when you can buy the whole CD for $.99 on ebay?

People have been buying and selling used, old, and unwanted tapes, vinyl, and CDs as long as the existence of those formats, and record stores facilitated and profited from that process. But today, with "record stores" going the way of the Dodo, now this all happens online - specifically on ebay.

For a lot of older material, buying the CD on ebay is dirt cheap, often $.01-$3, and you get the album art, a physical copy of the disc in your hands, no DRM, full WAV quality, and you can even resell the CD back on ebay after you rip it.

Now, is this the best way to reward your favorite artists of yesteryear rather than "buying" the album from Apple? Probably not. But as a massive consumer of music, its very cost effective and honestly I simply cant support Apple's preposterous DRM restrictions and MP3 quality, so its an easy decision for me. I think Tom Petty and Prince have done pretty well for themselves, so I dont feel any guilt at all, and I also buy tons of NEW vinyl and CDs every year, and have never pirated anything in my entire life, so its not like Im killing the industry.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

I have a pretty large cd collection, I keep them and don't sell them, but other than that I agree. I have no problem buying a brand new cd from a smaller independent artist, but I just can't get down with digital download stuff. I've never used the itunes store and won't, though I have bought mp3 downloads a few other ways and I usually lose track of it or interest before I even listen in it's entirety. I just think it's lame that people won't press physical media anymore, and I don't wish to support that direction of recorded music so from now on I will be saying no to digital downloads.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
For a lot of older material, buying the CD on ebay is dirt cheap, often $.01-$3, and you get the album art, a physical copy of the disc in your hands, no DRM, full WAV quality, and you can even resell the CD back on ebay after you rip it.

Now, is this the best way to reward your favorite artists of yesteryear rather than "buying" the album from Apple? Probably not.
Of course it doesn't reward the artist the same way that buying the album from Apple does...or buying it new anywhere, for that matter...but at the same time, if you're buying a used copy, someone bought it at some point and opted to sell it for some reason. Which is really fine, unless they bought it to rip and resell it, which really is analogous to stealing software...once you sell the CD, you've given up your license to listen to the music.
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Apple rewarding the artist? (Cough, splutter)
Really?
One thing the prev owner of Apple didn't give a flying hoot was music artists.
What they could give him? Sure. What he could give back... err, less than record companies.
We all know it's down to cents these days... regardless, I'm getting down of my box now...!
Buy the cd, it's a better product for a hundred reasons and the $0.99 makes you a better shopper.
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Gear addict

44.1/16 + scratches FTW.

Interesting to see secondhand / resale getting some praise.
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Gear Head

I simply buy the digital downloads now because I want the music instantly instead of paying and waiting for the CD to deliver.
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

I don't understand why MP3 is still so prevalent .
These days most people have very fast net connection and DLing an uncompressed WAV is not a problem any more .
Can't stand the sound of MP3 , will be happy to see the back of it .
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Amazon Marketplace is even better for buying used cd's. The condition classifications are pretty standard and well-adhered-to and I haven't had a single problem.

-Dan.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search