Industry standard gear you just can't bring yourself to like
Matt Hepworth
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Church of UAD

Industry standard gear you just can't bring yourself to like

There are so many similar threads as to which compressor this or that and you see a lot of the same responses - industry standard units, typically.

What are 1 or 2 industry standard pieces of gear that you just can't seem to embrace even though you know you should like it?

For me the LA3A jumps out. I just have never found anything it sounded excellent on. Too colored to be "transparent", and not colored enough to be "colored". I LOVE the LA2A, which falls quickly into that latter category.

My other call would be the API 512c. For many, it seems to be the desert island pre, but it just never does much I like. I really like the earlier API pres (and the newer CAPI stuff). The 512's just don't have any real balls to them.
Baz
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

SM57 (for guitars)
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Gear addict

Pro Tools?
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

U87 all the way.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Umm!

Yamaha NS10M, I used to have a pair but I never really got on with them as well as others.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
SM57 (for guitars)
Do you mean sm57s recording straight acoustic guitars? I really like them when mic-ing cabs.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

ssl preamps are shit. Or at least not any better than mackie onyx pres. U87's are not that great, but still usable. 24 track tape machines are better than digital, but would never choose to buy one. Lexicon 480/224 are outdated crap. People who spend absurd amounts for 2 or 4 channel reverbs are idiots. The behringer v-verb ($100)has proven to be just as good as the bricasti m7 ($7000)on this forum. Anyone with an M7 is a sucker.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Gear nut

this is a good one, i should have started this one.
i can second everything so far, the NS10Ms (well, they might have had their time), the u 87 (man, that thing really just sounds ok), the la3as (allways just sound ok), api 512 (sounds harsh to me)
i can however throw some radical stuff in the ring here:
the 1176 (that thing allways pokes at me, i hate it)
neumann m49
and the neve 1073.... i know. it allways just sounds ok to me, there is so much better stuff out there.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
SM57 (for guitars)
+1 freakin' million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Eddy View Post
Do you mean sm57s recording straight acoustic guitars? I really like them when mic-ing cabs.
For me, the SM57 is horrid on both, at least with the OEM transformer still installed (I'll report back when I get bored & pull the transformers out of my ol' 57s and run them through my NPNG)

P.S. If we're talking about Sound Reinforcement, then that would be a totally different ball game....
Baz
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Eddy View Post
Mainly e-guitars but I dislike them as much on acoustic

I'll take this SHURE any day, all day long over a 57 on electrics

6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Focusrite Red, and why so expensive?

SM57, it's supposed to be an instrument mic but does it really work on anything?

dbx 160x, 160a if you need to remove the life from a sound in a hurry.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Guru

Almost anything made by Apple.

I can't help myself - it just too trendy and expensive, and always has been.

I have a SERIOUS negative knee-jerk reaction, and always have.

6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmec View Post
Yamaha NS10M, I used to have a pair but I never really got on with them as well as others.

Indeed! Hate those freeking speakers!

6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenarne View Post
Pro Tools?

Word.

I'm not a big 87 fan (for vocals), at all - and mostly never have been!

And I almost always hate 57s on guitar amps!

God, I agree with almost ALL of you.

7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

As is anything windows, but what are you going to do? Does Ableton run on Linux? The only other way out is tape, or outboard recorders, none of which you can use to rant on this forum.
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013

Ha, I think I disagree with just about everyone - I love all this stuff! Although I'm not a massive fan of the API pres on vocals - they have a hard midrange that makes a rock vocal difficult to sit in the mix for me. And I've never really played with an LA3A for any length of time....

I think some people are misunderstanding "industry standard" though - no-one's saying the 57 is the ultimate guitar cab mic, nor an 87 the ultimate condenser. They're not necessarily in a studio's mic cupboard as a "first choice". They're there because everyone knows them, and they rarely sound "bad" in their usual applications.

The tubetech CL1B I guess is the first thing that comes to mind as to "what's all the fuss about?". I think it's cos I always expected it to sound like an 1176, and when it didn't I think I just found it a bit boring.
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

SM57. Effective at driving nails, not much else. Dislike it on snare too.

NS10M. Harsh ugly sounding & ear fatigue.

UAD card & plugz
Over-rated beyond belief.

Prosumer Recording Go pro or go home and stop pretending it's as good as high end. Because it's not. And if that's the league you play in, you shouldn't be recording other people - especially not for money or taking business away from actual professionals.
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

+1

For high end machines you get way more bang for your buck building yourself. Protools. Pretty much anything anyone assumes you can't make an amazing sounding record with. You can.
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Avalon 737!

I love my U5, but the 737 isn't that great. I like my "old" Focusrite red 6 much better.
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Waves L2

Waves Ltd. Software

Protools or anything made by Digidesign or Avid

Behringer equipment
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Pro tools. Tried the demo and could not figure out why so many people use it. It's clunky compared to almost every other offering.
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I think some people are misunderstanding "industry standard" though - no-one's saying the 57 is the ultimate guitar cab mic, nor an 87 the ultimate condenser. They're not necessarily in a studio's mic cupboard as a "first choice". They're there because everyone knows them, and they rarely sound "bad" in their usual applications.
That's exactly what industry standard is! And the general purpose U87 drives me insane!
I'm useless at eq-ing the honk out of that mic while keeping the vocal tone in tact.
A good engineer may feel differently though!
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Out of curiosity, did people that dislike pro tools come from (start off from) a bedroom and/or pure itb background?
It's just that for someone that started off in a recording studio, it's very intuitive, particularly compared to DAWs that started off as sequencers.
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Out of curiosity, did people that dislike pro tools come from (start off from) a bedroom and/or pure itb background?
It's just that for someone that started off in a recording studio, it's very intuitive, particularly compared to DAWs that started off as sequencers.

Pro Tools at one time may have been the "Industry Standard" but I guess you have to specify whether that is ALL the Pro Tools systems currently in use or just for the professional level ProTools systems. There are probably a lot more small studios using just the software version than there are using a fully blown out ProTools HD rig with an ICON controller.

Many other companies are providing the same features as a ProTools' system at other price points.

Studio One from Presonus, Samplitude, Sequoia, Reaper, and Cubase and others all provide the same format. Also companies like Fairlight are taking over in a lot of Post Production operations. Even RADAR is being used in a lot of recording studios which use to be all ProTools. RADAR 6 | iZ Technology. Some think, as do I, that ProTools has peaked in popularity and is now sliding down from the title "industry standard"

Different strokes for different folks...
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

NS10's. They obviously work great for some people. I don't get them. Not using the correct tissue, maybe?
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Pro Tools at one time may have been the "Industry Standard" but I guess you have to specify whether that is ALL the Pro Tools systems currently in use or just for the professional level ProTools systems. There are probably a lot more small studios using just the software version than there are using a fully blown out ProTools HD rig with an ICON controller.

Many other companies are providing the same features as a ProTools' system at other price points.

Studio One from Presonus, Samplitude, Sequoia, Reaper, and Cubase and others all provide the same format. Also companies like Fairlight are taking over in a lot of Post Production operations. Even RADAR is being used in a lot of recording studios which use to be all ProTools. RADAR 6 | iZ Technology. Some think, as do I, that ProTools has peaked in popularity and is now sliding down from the title "industry standard"

Different strokes for different folks...
Actually over the last 10 years, I've seen more and more post production houses moving to PTHD plus Icon (or sometimes SSL 4000 instead of Icon that they've kept from their previous rigs), from their fairlight plus SSL rigs.
If you include the word 'home' before industry, then you'd be right.
But I think 'industry standard' in this context is talking about professional institutions, whether it be recording, mixing, or post, designed to be rented out to clients. EVERY single engineer I've worked with understand how to use pro tools, even the guys that still to this day use assistant engineers. I'd say less than 20% of those engineers know how to use other DAWs (fairlight being an exception for post guys).
Thus studios designed to rent their space to engineers must have an industry standard, and every professional studio I've rented or used, including my own, have had PTHD or PTMix rigs. There's no argument that PTHD is an industry standard.
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

SM57 has never been my favorite on cabs, but I don't hate it and it works...same with the NS10s. I think that part of their appeal was that nobody "liked" them...

If there's one somewhat standard piece that I'd have to pick, it would be the RE20. No problem using it on spoken word-type stuff, but on drums, bass cabs, etc it's just not for me.

Quote:
Some think, as do I, that ProTools has peaked in popularity and is now sliding down from the title "industry standard"
I don't know...there certainly are more options than ever but if anything else with them grabbing that middle ground with the HD Native systems a couple years back and opening up their software to third-party interfaces more recently if anything it seems that their foothold has grown recently.
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
SM57 (for guitars)
+1000000000000000000

Pretty much any other mic not an issue..
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Actually over the last 10 years, I've seen more and more post production houses moving to PTHD plus Icon (or sometimes SSL 4000 instead of Icon that they've kept from their previous rigs), from their fairlight plus SSL rigs.
If you include the word 'home' before industry, then you'd be right.
But I think 'industry standard' in this context is talking about professional institutions, whether it be recording, mixing, or post, designed to be rented out to clients. EVERY single engineer I've worked with understand how to use pro tools, even the guys that still to this day use assistant engineers. I'd say less than 20% of those engineers know how to use other DAWs (fairlight being an exception for post guys).
Thus studios designed to rent their space to engineers must have an industry standard, and every professional studio I've rented or used, including my own, have had PTHD or PTMix rigs. There's no argument that PTHD is an industry standard.
+1.

Whenever you enter a pro studio for hire, it's not even a question you need to ask.

If you're an owner-operator, who cares what you use.

But that's not part of the "industry standard".
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

PTHD is the new 2" 24 track. Has been for some time now and that will not likely change for the next 10 years or more, as long as they keep up development.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search