Hipsters, do you hate them?
New Reply
Subscribe
hypetrain
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Gear maniac

Hipsters, do you hate them?

After a couple hours, which regrettably I will never get back, researching this term "hipster", all I could figure out is that "Hipster" is the term used to describe someone who isn't you and should therefor be hated immensely because they are not you.

I'm sitting here wearing a $5 flannel jacket from walmart. Very comfortable, fleece lining and all. The bad news? I've seen the definition of hipster and now have to live with the fact that I am a hipster because I am wearing a flannel housecoat. Obviously I'm devastated by this revelation.

Still, I have questions. Am I really hip enough to be a hipster? As far as I can tell, the definition of "Hipster" is so all encompassing that if one either owns an apple product or doesn't own an apple product, wears a flannel shirt, or has ever worn a hat, then you are a hipster and thus subject to be maligned by everyone who is not you.

I saw a website, "Hipsters must die" or something... It was just a blog where people posted pictures of normal everyday people and then commented on how much they hated this random stranger on the street, deeming them hipsters. Furthermore, while conducting my extensive research, I have discovered videos of people declaring their hatred of hipsters while simultaneously exhibiting the vaguely defined qualities of a hipster.

To be sure, it is a very complex topic. Things were so much more simply when I could just focus on hating myself. All we can really know is that everyone hates everyone else and now we have a 2 syllable word that we can shout at each other to declare it in a concise way. Though I see a paradox emerging, as it has become fashionable to declare everyone else a hipster. Now everyone is getting in on what was previously an underground movement.

Just drop by a few youtube channels and blurt out "hipster!" Do it on your ipad at a coffee shop while wearing a hat for extra points. Then just laugh to yourself about how superior you are to all those hipster who only think they are superior. That'll make you feel good about yourself for sure. Even if everyone at the adjoining table peer over their ipads, point, laugh and in unison cry out "Hipster!" at that very moment. That doesn't matter because YOU know who the REAL hipsters are. And you're going to let the world know. Because it is the right thing to do.

In the final analysis, perhaps the desperation and jealousy permeating our society can only be cathartically exercised by worshiping at the alter of disdain for all mankind equally and without regard to petty details like why you actually hate someone. A beautiful world awaits us! Make it happen!

In the event that the next world war is divided between hipsters and haters, let it be known I'm no hipster sympathizer. Here, look..

OMFG! Is that a coffe cup? LOL HIPSTER! Why is he wearing glasses? Does he think that makes him cool? HAHAH! Die hipster die!

17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

yes i remember hippies.
in fact in 1971 in peurto rico i got my little ass spanked becuase i desired to hang with the hippies and there girls rather than my stupid trash families and we did enjoying the hooch -e ee and we did show them the mushrooms growing in hour special valleys of puerto rico

hippees are good, i wonder whatever happens to Woodstock an hate ash-berry an that stuff. its like one minute it was there an the next it was goner
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
After a couple hours, which regrettably I will never get back, researching this term "hipster", all I could figure out is that "Hipster" is the term used to describe someone who isn't you and should therefor be hated immensely because they are not you.
lol best definition of "hipster" I've seen so far
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012

i remember to understand the hippie was to be getting the long-hair and beard with sandals.
chrales manson ruined it for everyone
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

Talking

18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
OMFG! Is that a coffe cup? LOL HIPSTER! Why is he wearing glasses? Does he think that makes him cool? HAHAH! Die hipster die!
Drama!!!! WIth all that drama you probably ARE a hipster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rben View Post
lol best definition of "hipster" I've seen so far
Seriously?

I feel like I've been dealing with the same hipster uniforms for the last 10 years or so, if you missed them you can't have been at many 'indie' concerts recently.

I wish they were hippies, but they seem more like yuppies where I'm at. The problem is that Hipsters dont actually fight for anything, like the hippies did. To the Hipsters it's all about being ironic, just look at this guy's pink socks in combination with professor glasses, oh how ironic:

If I get annoyed with the Hipsters it's because they're all about this la-la-la image.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Do you think that if it suddenly became oh-so-cool and ironic to hate hipsters, then all the hipsters would suddenly perish in some bizarre mass-suicide pact?

Or would they just transform into a bunch of self-harming goths and emos?

18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

What i find is that most hipsters can be identified as being unbathed.

thankyasomuch!
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

You guys are confusing hippies and hipsters.

Not the same thing AT ALL.

Yes, perhaps some modern day hipsters don't take showers, but they're sill not the same at all.

It is possible that we're seeing more and more young people use the word hipster to actually describe the traditional 1960's hippy.

So that now people say "hipster", when they actually mean "hippy".

Studio Cat i7 + RME UFX + Linkwitz Orions + Tyler Acoustics Linbrooks + Buzz Audio ARC + GT-67 + Sonar + Komplete + Omnisphere-Trilian-Stylus + Symphobia + Mo-Tone Custom Tele
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Hipsters:

Hippies:

18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Hippiiiiiiiiiiiiiies

18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

A Hipster is one haicut and three piece suit away from calling the shots, remember that!

Most of them are basically the evolution of the Yuppie (from the 80's, except then, they had no problem showing you their wealth/trust fund pwr). These days, most of these Hipsters are easy to spot. They have brand new iPhones and Macbooks (but like to brag about being "broke"). If you know one and they say they're broke, but they always happen to have some really good weed - watch out (and treat them kindly).
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
A Hipster is one haicut and three piece suit away from calling the shots, remember that!

Most of them are basically the evolution of the Yuppie (from the 80's, except then, they had no problem showing you their wealth/trust fund pwr). These days, most of these Hipsters are easy to spot. They have brand new iPhones and Macbooks (but like to brag about being "broke"). If you know one and they say they're broke, but they always happen to have some really good weed - watch out (and treat them kindly).

exactly.

19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012

Anyone getting hippies and hipsters confused is being disingenuous (although once upon a time a hippy would have also been a hipster, but now they are anything but)
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post

I feel like I've been dealing with the same hipster uniforms for the last 10 years or so, if you missed them you can't have been at many 'indie' concerts recently.
It seems like a lot of the guys that play in Indie bands these days are more concerned with their haircut and clothes then they are with learning their instrument.

I'm looking forward to it running its course to make way for the next thing. Maybe rock is ready for another raw, un pretentious movement again.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, "fit in"...
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear OCD

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to _Mark
A hipster is someone that often is based around looks of objects/themselves, rather than the objects functionality or appearance towards others. They like to be "original," per se. For example: unnecessarily large glasses, older cell phones, clothes deemed unpopular by society, etc...
It's pretty much an annoying "going against the crowd," kind of person.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

I listen to Broken Bells, does that make me a hipster?
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Let's not forget pretense is all around, and has been, long before hipsters, and I'd say that's what can be wrong about any cultural scene, plus the pretentious folks lacking knowledge about, and confidence in themselves are the ones who populate more than one of these scenes, over the years, diluting them with their antics and snobbery in the process.

I understand the appeal of it, as being a hipster allows one to become every freakish and awkward thing one wants to be, without belonging to a certain club of freaks, or painting yourself into one exact corner. Hipsters are now the uncertain and the lukewarm youth of the world and reap what they sowed.

This is a pretty funny take on the issue:

D I E H I P S T E R . C O M | A place for real New Yorkers to vent about the invasion of attention starved, useless adults that we know as hipsters.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I listen to Broken Bells, does that make me a hipster?
You are a popkid (well sorta), but you do have the necessary "look at me" attitude. Grow a beard and who knows what you may achieve! ;-)
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Guru

Talking

21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear addict

21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
If I get annoyed with the Hipsters it's because they're all about this la-la-la image.
What on earth does this mean ?
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
It's pretty much an annoying "going against the crowd," kind of person.
Get the rope ma.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntk drummer View Post
It seems like a lot of the guys that play in Indie bands these days are more concerned with their haircut and clothes then they are with learning their instrument.
Has this not been the norm in popular music since the very beginning ?
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Hate is a strong emotion, why can you not just dislike or prefer not be around someone without the hate.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

Hippies:

holy **** hippies had to have been a lot of really powerful drugs to dissassociate themselves with reality enough to look and act that stupid.

whoever said that hipsters are the evolution of yuppies had it right. affluent suburban kids that dont want to be affluent suburban kids.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

As far as I can tell Hipster is a subculture that is unique in that it exists to comment on culture without ever actually creating any cultural content of it's own. It's not like you ever go out to see a hipster band or listen to hipster poetry.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear addict

Haha you guys have no clue, just a lit of stereotypical shit. Most people mad at "hipsters" have their own self issue, why hate on someone else
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear addict

I was taught hipsters are indie-edm-country-rock music lover nerds
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search