Hipsters, do you hate them?
New Reply
Subscribe
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Why single out hipsters for hate? Why not just hate everyone and have done with it?
It's really in to hate on hipsters right now. All the cool people are doing it.
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
let's be friends

I know you're out in pittsburgh, but check out this philly venue if you don't know about it already, I think you'd like it...

Union Transfer | Philadelphia Music Venue
Cool, I'll check it out next time in Philly.
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Hah! That's awesome, hadn't noticed that, and it's from 1995 :D

For me it's also about the music though: Bubble-gum songs dressed up as more than the are, I really think that very very post-pop-punk/indie bands within the last many years have anything to offer besides bubble-gum dressed up as 'shocking'. I'm thinking about music like the spoof-video above my post, and similar annoying styles.

But I'll try to be gentle on the kids as clubheadjobby suggests.

Actually, it's a real pitty when kids grow up in an ironic age, it leads to detachment. There's so much to be genuinely angry about, and sing genuinely and passionately about, without the ironic crap, but why doesn't it happen, now?

I basically think the heft of advertisizing and mass-media in general screws people up, they can't find a place to calm down and be deliberate. All the times we hear this, to make us docile and weak-willed: life is about what you can buy for yourself, don't rock the boat or you will be an outcast, buy this now and you'll be cool and clean, buy this and you will be special and unique yet cool. All the ****ing time. All ****ing day. Sure, I don't watch commercial TV or listen to commercial radio, but you can't escape it.

I'm sorry, many here use Macs as commercial tools, that's totally cool, I'm not out to troll, but we all know what I'm talking about because they're so big: Their adds make me shiver if they don't make me throw up. So clean and inhuman. Urrggh. Or the way McDonald's perverts our language while trying to implant thoughts (seeds, as Bill Hicks says) in our head: I'm loving it. That shit will make me livid, the people who does shit like that really should be punished for something, geez.

Anything you say will be used against you, Bill's point, and it's a pretty deep point. It destroys your will, revolt seems pointless.

There's a huge pressure, but most of all it's a huge distraction. You could just say forget about, it's just adds! Or models dressed up as journalists. In the end, you shrugg it of: Haha, how sad, haha did you see that, I lolled... etc etc. Right?

Our common space is terrorised by market forces, they dictate our communication, and neccesitate an ironic escapist attitude to the real world to survive the crap level.

The only real escape is to ban advertisement in the public space and to ban commercial breaks. Restore a public world not dominated by car-sellers screaming into our heads and retouched surgically modified tits and and ass in our face all the flippin' time. It's not good for us, and it denigrates the human.

We have to restore a public space, and public media without commercial ties or interests. The means to that end are various.
That's the funny thing - counter culture is almost always co-opted by the mainstream. That's why you see so many marketers marketing to hipsters - it represents a unified demographic group, which translates into profit making opportunities. It's also funny the way in which we think of consumption nowadays, or rather what it has turned into. You watch a lot of those old '50s info videos and they really did believe that it was a bright future - the house, car, dog, wife and kids. It was sort of the peak of a middle class in this country, which has been eviscerated ever since. It's funny now we have these overpaid, rich celebrities telling us what we need when we can barely afford to stay afloat ourselves. That middle class dream, or rather the American dream, has been disappearing gradually for decades now.

So, yeah, I sort of agree. Hipsterdom is sort of a reaction to all of that. This need to escape a world dominated by commercial forces and a need to escape the suffocation of the suburbs, but...

it's all a huge trend with a bunch of sheep who are not so much different from the "normal, dull" people that they despise. And the only real thing that these people are doing is playing into the hands of marketers.

Really... no one is going to say that hipsters did anything ten, twenty years from now. It's going to be one of those things, like big hair in the '80s and baggy jeans in the late '90s, what were we thinking?

Trends come and go, but the commercial forces which enable them always remain.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

n porto rico we gots no hipstes, just smelly rastaman
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
+1.

Jarvis is about as far from a "hipster" as you can get. The way he dresses, the music etc is just him - he's the sort of person that leads the scene, not follows it. He'd be dressing like that even if it wasn't trendy - which it wasn't when he started doing it!

He's also a really great dad
Anyone who must "lead the scene" is automatically a hipster.

My father is an art professor. Wins a few shows for painting dilapidated buildings. Just because folks have been painting landscapes for centuries doesn't decrease the validity of his work.

The punks in his class who can't be bothered to do a 3-point perspective? Not so valid. You want to be an artist? Spend a year tracing saggy geezer scrotum just like everyone else. It's been required for millennia because it works.

(Yes, it IS necessary. No, you can't skip it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
It has nothing to do with them being a hipster and I could care less about how people dress. I just don't like super negative people of any kind, especially those who make it a lifestyle.

I remember being invited to a party and these kids were analyzing everything about me, the way I dressed, the beer I was drinking, etc. I had a great time and that was discouraging to them. I talked to some of them and was nice to them and more than a few made a comment like "I really thought I wouldn't like you but you seem pretty cool". That's a really shitty mentality to have.
You've just summed up why hipsters are loathsome:

The condescension.

The hipster thought process works on the fundamental axiom of "That which is popular, is without merit." (It is worth noting that this is assuming that correlation implies causation. Britney Spears is both appalling and popular; toothpaste, while popular, is excellent.)

This results in the following chain of logic:
1. That which is popular is without value.
2. I should pursue that which is novel and yet unspoiled by popularity.
3. Distancing myself from the popular also distances me from the worthless. Ergo, I am superior.

This diaspora from the perceived shallow mainstream then results in this cyclical consumption of new material regardless of whether it's any good. It also results in the rejection of things like CDs, fuel injection, and personal hygiene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matyas View Post
I like microbrew beer, own a Moog, collect vinyl records, drive a beat-up Toyota, and hang out in pretentious bars. But I really don't get the mullets, the ironic appreciation for the dregs of pop culture better left forgotten and the swilling of PBR.
Hipsters do not enjoy things for their own sake; they do them primarily to separate themselves from the hoi polloi. I do not drink Rob Roys and neat gin to separate myself from the crowd; I do it because the former are tasty and the latter is the least offensive way to become intoxicated on well liquor.

The people who make your fancy beer (or something very similar) go to a place called the Knuckle Down Saloon. They have free bratwurst during Packers games and hand out jell-O shots for touchdowns. Not quite my cup of tea, but they're really awfully friendly.

There are no hipsters at the Knuckle Down Saloon. They'd die of irony poisoning.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshaul View Post
Anyone who must "lead the scene" is automatically a hipster.

My father is an art professor. Wins a few shows for painting dilapidated buildings. Just because folks have been painting landscapes for centuries doesn't decrease the validity of his work.

The punks in his class who can't be bothered to do a 3-point perspective? Not so valid. You want to be an artist? Spend a year tracing saggy geezer scrotum just like everyone else. It's been required for millennia because it works.

(Yes, it IS necessary. No, you can't skip it.)
I'm not quite sure what you're saying here in response to my post; maybe I'm misunderstanding, or haven't expressed myself very well.

Someone like Jarvis Cocker is the direct opposite of what you describe below; there's no condescension, not really much ego (having worked for him, he's got a nice line in self-depreciation, which even if it's tongue in cheek, at least shows he doesn't take himself too seriously), and really it's all about the music - not the "cool" aspect. At least not in recent years - maybe in Pulp's heyday they were a little more "scenester".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshaul View Post
You've just summed up why hipsters are loathsome:

The condescension.

The hipster thought process works on the fundamental axiom of "That which is popular, is without merit." (It is worth noting that this is assuming that correlation implies causation. Britney Spears is both appalling and popular; toothpaste, while popular, is excellent.)

This results in the following chain of logic:
1. That which is popular is without value.
2. I should pursue that which is novel and yet unspoiled by popularity.
3. Distancing myself from the popular also distances me from the worthless. Ergo, I am superior.

This diaspora from the perceived shallow mainstream then results in this cyclical consumption of new material regardless of whether it's any good. It also results in the rejection of things like CDs, fuel injection, and personal hygiene.

Hipsters do not enjoy things for their own sake; they do them primarily to separate themselves from the hoi polloi. I do not drink Rob Roys and neat gin to separate myself from the crowd; I do it because the former are tasty and the latter is the least offensive way to become intoxicated on well liquor.

The people who make your fancy beer (or something very similar) go to a place called the Knuckle Down Saloon. They have free bratwurst during Packers games and hand out jell-O shots for touchdowns. Not quite my cup of tea, but they're really awfully friendly.

There are no hipsters at the Knuckle Down Saloon. They'd die of irony poisoning.
So yeah; the above - opposite of the things someone like Jarvis represents (he's also not the only one; just the one pictured in the thread, in my opinion slightly out of context).

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

"saggy geezer scrotum" PMSL!
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

If you know what a hipster is, then you cannot help but be a hipster yourself. Reason being is that you have two choices: 1) to accept the title of hipster (which no non-hipster would ever do) 2) to reject the title of hipster (and nothing says 'hipster' more than resenting the title of hipster). So you see there is no escape.

In the pre-internet dark ages there were two types of people: 1) those that conformed to conventional taste 2) those that rejected conventional taste in favor of the alternative in order to revaluate a world into which they did not fit. Note that those who conformed to normative behavior rejected the alternative instinctively without really understanding it.

Lately there has arisen a 3rd type--those who consciously and intellectually reject the alternative in favor of the conventional. So you have educated Pitchfork reviewers giving trashy rap albums scores of 9.5 out of 10. You have this whole phenomenon of people getting branded "haters" for criticizing the conventional. Now this certainly may be seen as simply an extension of postmodernism--the flattening of all levels. A highly self aware society can only have so many revolutions before the whole process is delegitimized.
zLw
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
zLw
Gear Head

In 40-60s hipster was a term for people that liked jazz (the beat generation used it). How funny what it means now
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
They abound in LA. Seriously everywhere. They have their own scene, that's for sure!

Guitar/Backline Tech and Mobile Recording services in the Los Angeles area!
Custom stompboxes and cabling for stage and studio.

Die-hard Phila Eagles fan!
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
If you know what a hipster is, then you cannot help but be a hipster yourself. Reason being is that you have two choices: 1) to accept the title of hipster (which no non-hipster would ever do) 2) to reject the title of hipster (and nothing says 'hipster' more than resenting the title of hipster). So you see there is no escape.

In the pre-internet dark ages there were two types of people: 1) those that conformed to conventional taste 2) those that rejected conventional taste in favor of the alternative in order to revaluate a world into which they did not fit. Note that those who conformed to normative behavior rejected the alternative instinctively without really understanding it.

Lately there has arisen a 3rd type--those who consciously and intellectually reject the alternative in favor of the conventional. So you have educated Pitchfork reviewers giving trashy rap albums scores of 9.5 out of 10. You have this whole phenomenon of people getting branded "haters" for criticizing the conventional. Now this certainly may be seen as simply an extension of postmodernism--the flattening of all levels. A highly self aware society can only have so many revolutions before the whole process is delegitimized.
As brilliant a piece of analysis as I've ever read on GS.
Spot on.

Audio Engineer, Composer, Musician

"People who only know about music don't know about that, either." - Hanns Eisler
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

Read quite a lot of this thread as it was growing , all the while I never knew what a hipster was .
Went into Manchester centre this weekend and lordy do I know now !

Don't know if anyone mentioned this in the thread , but it seems that a top of the line Nikon DSLR is the new hipster medallion .
Can't be Canon as they are a "budget" brand , and in the six hours I was there , not one of these hundreds took a single picture !
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago View Post
Read quite a lot of this thread as it was growing , all the while I never knew what a hipster was .
Went into Manchester centre this weekend and lordy do I know now !

Don't know if anyone mentioned this in the thread , but it seems that a top of the line Nikon DSLR is the new hipster medallion .
Can't be Canon as they are a "budget" brand , and in the six hours I was there , not one of these hundreds took a single picture !
That's because they don't know how to load the film, and are too cool to ask for help.

https://soundcloud.com/visceral
R3k
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
R3k
Gear maniac

So the straight (Square not Hetero) are threatened by those that are cooler than they are...coined 'Hipster' to make them all feel better about themselves.

But what can I say, I have a beard and live in Highland Park.
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear interested

Send a message via MSN to Mtomlins
Great thread - not often found on GS, exploring the social and philosophical foundations of a group label. To avoid the label, what if we consider the behaviors or attitudes implied so far in this thread:

Condescending
Ironic
Pretentious
Image conscious
Self-concerned
Trendy
Affluent
Entitled
Privileged
Complaining
Disingenuous

Are those qualities required to succeed (or survive) in contemporary culture? Is it a byproduct of modern marketing and advertising saturation?

And most importantly: if a "hipster" walked into your studio and displayed any of those qualities, what would you think?

-mt
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post

In the pre-internet dark ages there were two types of people: 1) those that conformed to conventional taste 2) those that rejected conventional taste in favor of the alternative in order to revaluate a world into which they did not fit.
Lately there has arisen a 3rd type--those who consciously and intellectually reject the alternative in favor of the conventional.
Where I'm from, back the day there was:
1)hetreosexual
2)gay

now there's arisen a third type- hipster.

Look I'm ok with it. I know some lovely hipsters. If I wanted a girlfriend, I'd go for a hipster. I don't want a girlfriend.
3rd March 2013
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Well I guess it takes a real man to go out in full drag and give a policeman a hefty slap on the bottom.
3rd March 2013
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

A hipster is someone who tries to hard to look cool. Usually someone who is boring but thinks if they wear clothes that look like a funny costume and sit outside Starbucks with their macbook will attract attention to them.
3rd March 2013
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago View Post
Really? All my photog friends use Canon, although the more money they make doing photography, the more readily they'll tell you it's personal preference.
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Asipiring Audio Wizzard

Saying that Canon is a budget brand because they do cheap point and shoot cameras is like saying that Sony are a budget brand.
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathromantik View Post
Saying that Canon is a budget brand because they do cheap point and shoot cameras is like saying that Sony are a budget brand.

For sure. I'd take a high end Canon over the equivalent for Nikon any day of the week. Traditionally though Nikon's are best for studio/still photography and Canons are better suited for "action" which is why you see most sports photographers using Canons.
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

i don't think hipsters actually exist. there isn't anything that actually defines them as a subculture, so it's just become a pejorative term thrown around about basically anyone and everyone that people have a problem with, generally based upon their appearance.
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
i don't think hipsters actually exist. there isn't anything that actually defines them as a subculture, so it's just become a pejorative term thrown around about basically anyone and everyone that people have a problem with, generally based upon their appearance.
Where I live it is a term used to describe anyone over 70 who's had a hip replacement.
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Really? All my photog friends use Canon, although the more money they make doing photography, the more readily they'll tell you it's personal preference.
Just to clarify my comment about Canon being the budget brand.
It's not a reflection of the brands quality , just the way that some look at Nikon being the "cooler" "proper" camera brand .
They wore the camera as an accessory IMHO

For the record I shoot a Canon DSLR with "L" series glass , but I stay away from city centres with my gear !
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Asipiring Audio Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
It is a look, beanies and scarves in summer, thick rimmed glasses with either clear glass or no lenses, bright skinny jeans and some kind of top that a dad from the late seventies or early eighties had donated to charity because even he knew that it looked stupid. There are so many blogs dedicated to hipster stuff like fixed gear bikes with no breaks, music ( the boring side of indy music) and most hipster of all topics; being "white" and how "white" something is.
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rben View Post
lol best definition of "hipster" I've seen so far
+1

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

Two hipsters walk into a bar. The first one did it before it was cool, and the second one did it ironically.
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Two hipsters walk into a bar. The first one did it before it was cool, and the second one did it ironically.
Two hipsters walk into a bar. The first one says "You should look where you are going". The second one replies "I can't see a bloody thing since I took the lenses out of these glasses".
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
Lives for gear

(It is worth noting that this is assuming that correlation implies causation. Britney Spears is both appalling and popular; toothpaste, while popular, is excellent.)

You wanna hear Britney Spears done right by super musicians check it out:

DIRTY LOOPS Circus (Britney Spears cover) - YouTube

Now THEY are hip

TH
7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
Gear maniac

Hipster in a nutshell.

Then again, I didn't like hipsters before anyone else anyway...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search