Rode microphones - customer support
New Reply
Subscribe
Recordinging
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

Rode microphones - customer support

I'd like to know what your experience with the Rode microphones customer support is. I own quite a few Rode microphones since I am a huge fan. The k2 for vocals, Ntg-3 and rode videomic pro for live work and many more. I've seen a lot of threads, both here and elsewhere, talking about how great they are (the customer support) and quick to respond. Most of them are not new so something might have changed.

I bought a WS7 windfilter for my shotgun mic a few months back. I used it twice and noticed, the third time I was going to use it, that it had a small rip in the front that looked like something had come apart. The hole keeps getting bigger and it has become unusable. I sent a message to Rode (through their website) to see if it was covered and if it was something that they were aware of might happen. They sent me a message back and told me to talk to my local dealer (I don't live in the USA and there is only one dealer here). I sent them back that I had not bought the windfilter from that dealer but got no reply. So I talked to the dealer anyway but was told to contact Rode again. So I sent Rode another email. After some wait I got a reply that of course I shouldn't talk to that dealer since I hadn't bought it from them, and they asked me where I had bought it. I sent them where I had bought it (in the UK) and didn't get a reply. So I sent another email and used both their site and replied to their email and still didn't get a reply until a week later. They replied with contact details for their UK distributor (since I bought it in London).

I emailed the UK distributor and got a reply: "WITH ANY REPAIR/ FIRMWARE UPDATE, THERE IS A SMALL CHANCE THAT SOME DATA WILL BE LOST AND IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO BACK UP DATA BEFORE SENDING OR BRINGING THE UNIT TO US FOR REPAIR/ SERVICE."

It's a wind filter. So I gave up.

I know it's just a windfilter that cost almost nothing compared to the wast amount of money I've spent on their microphones, but that just pisses me off.

So either Rode are dropping the ball on their "great customer service" I've seen reported... or that customer service is reserved for some other countries.

To be clear: This ranting about their customer service, not their mics.

I just hope that none of my Rode mics require me to contact them again.

UPDATE 12/20:
I received a package from Rode today with a brand new WS7 windfilter AND a Rode blimp! A BLIMP! That is amazing and I would like to thank James Biddle (US Sales & Artist Relations Manager for Rode) for getting involved in this. Thanks alot.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

It's funny, I always hear they're uncommonly good with their support on the whole.
I for one don't like Rode mics at all regardless of their Customer Service.
If you want it serviced you have to keep emailing.
"The squeaky hinge get's the oil."
Telling us won't do a damn thing for your maintenance schedule.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Hate to burst your bubble but most times a wind screen is considered an expendable item - meaning that when it wears out or tears you get a new one.

I have had nothing but GREAT support from RODE when is comes to any maintenance problems with any of my RODE microphones. They are very quick to answer any questions and if I have to send something back to them for repair they are done quickly and the item is sent back fast.

Maybe they just don't want to deal with an item that is "disposable"

Best of luck.

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room with a View Productions
Oberlin, OH 44074
www.acoustikmusik.com

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 19 years in the mastering business in 2014
Recordinging
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but most times a wind screen is considered an expendable item - meaning that when it wears out or tears you get a new one.
It's nice to see that some think that a 60 dollar windfilter (more in the UK) is disposable after two uses. That should cost me about 240 dollars a month in windfilters. It didn't wear out, nor did it tear. It simply came apart in what is obviously a defect.
If Rode had the same outlook on this as you (and they might) they could have simply said so in one of their emails instead of sending me all over the place only to have absolutely nothing done. They say they stand by their product, and they don't in my experience, it's a simple as that.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recordinging View Post
It's nice to see that some think that a 60 dollar windfilter (more in the UK) is disposable after two uses. That should cost me about 240 dollars a month in windfilters. It didn't wear out, nor did it tear. It simply came apart in what is obviously a defect.
If Rode had the same outlook on this as you (and they might) they could have simply said so in one of their emails instead of sending me all over the place only to have absolutely nothing done. They say they stand by their product, and they don't in my experience, it's a simple as that.
Most companies depend on their dealers to provide first level support.

Since you purchased your windscreen from a dealer Rode was trying to have you start at the beginning. The dealer could have just given you an new one and sent the defective one back to Rode for credit or replacement. Why they did not remains a mystery.

I had a similar problem with an AKG windscreen I purchased from a dealer with a shotgun microphone. I was simply too small to fit onto the microphone and tore the first time I used it. I took it back to the dealer and they had AKG send me a new one at no cost. Turns out the windscreen manufacturer was using the wrong diameter when they made the windscreen. When AKG sent me the replacement they actually sent two so I still have one in storage.

I would start with the dealer and go from there.

I don't think RODE is trying to do anything underhanded or criminal they are just relying on the dealer to deal with the problem.

Best of luck!
Recordinging
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
If you want it serviced you have to keep emailing.
"The squeaky hinge get's the oil."
I have been emailing. They've stopped responding. I guess the case is closed on their end.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

This type of thing is typically handled at the dealer/distributor level, so it's not surprising that they referred you to their UK distributor. One of the the things to be aware of when buying from a different country to save money (or whatever reason you may be doing that).
Recordinging
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
This type of thing is typically handled at the dealer/distributor level, so it's not surprising that they referred you to their UK distributor. One of the the things to be aware of when buying from a different country to save money (or whatever reason you may be doing that).
No, it's not surprising at all. What is surprising though is that it took over two weeks for me to get the details of the UK supplier, since I had no way of finding that info for myself (that I'm aware of). After I sent the UK supplier the same complaint as the customer support, they sent me a confusing message about wiping the units memory and then did not reply to my respond. Bringing the matter to a halt.

No one at Rode, neither customer support nor UK dealer, has shown the slightest interest in having me send the windfilter to them to inspect it or replace it. And it's too late anyway since I threw it out this morning: it was only useful as a weird, furry, pirate prosthetic when put on my arm through the new hole. It's just extremely frustrating, hence this blog ranting.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear addict

Recordinging
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsound View Post
The distributor info is on their site
It is indeed. But the info on "do not bother with our customer support unless you have a few weeks to spare before we tell you who you should REALLY contact ..." is not. I assumed I should contact the customer support who would then tell me if I needed to contact someone else. Sounds like it would have been one email to tell me so... not 6 and a few weeks.

Also the link you provided is called "where to buy", not sure why I would have contacted anyone from that list before contacting the customer support.
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Gear interested

I am very sorry to hear about this - please email me - james.biddle@rodemic.com - and I will arrange to replace your WS7 today.

James Biddle

US Sales & Artist Relations Manager
RØDE Microphones / Event Electronics
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

^^^^Looks like alls well that ends well...
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear interested

Your replacement WS7 is shipping from our US distribution center to Iceland tomorrow.

Once again, I apologize for the trouble and inconvenience.

Best Regards,

James Biddle

Sales & Artist Relations Manager
Recordinging
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrode View Post
Your replacement WS7 is shipping from our US distribution center to Iceland tomorrow.

Once again, I apologize for the trouble and inconvenience.

Best Regards,

James Biddle

Sales & Artist Relations Manager
Wow. I received the package today. Not only is there a new WS7 windfilter but also a Rode blimp. A BLIMP! That is a amazing! Thanks alot for getting involved with this James. I did not expect this at all.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

You're welcome. We take customer service very seriously - I'm glad we were able to rectify the situation.

Happy holidays!
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

We started use the RODE products in the mid 90's & have nothing but high praise for the products and the Company. Even the smallest little detail has been promptly addressed.

After a brief meeting with Peter at a tradeshow > he somehow remembered our conversation and a box appeared at our studio shortly after ...they have always come through.

We had problems with our Event monitors, in two of our studios ....one call and parts were sent rapidly. Where can anyone find personal attention like RODE delivers > especially in the music industry today?

Bridging Old School to Middle School
A Tympanic Tweaker
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear interested

I bought a used pair of Opals (would have bought new,but couldn't find any around the time of the Fukushima disaster)...Sent an email to Event\Rode about buying the room eq-microphone, and speaker bases, that the guy I bought them from didn't have...and received them FOR FREE in the post a few days later...Their customer service is amazing...

Steve
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search