Having trouble getting a studio built
New Reply
Subscribe
JakeKalka
27th May 2012
Old 27th May 2012
Gear addict

Having trouble getting a studio built

I've been trying to get construction started for partition walls in a building I have since MARCH! Where am I now? NOWHERE! I cannot even remember at this point, how many contractors said they were down and willing to help with this project, and never hear back from them. I NEED to get this place done.. The city is requiring work done by a licensed contractor.. Otherwise I'd get my own team together and been done with this a long time ago. Is there any body in my area (South OC, CA) on here that is licensed for this work and could help? Or any advice about this? It may even be true that I just need plans drawn by a "licensed" contractor.. and the actual construction can be DIY. I'll have to double check and report back about that though..

Are these contractors really that busy they can just not call customers back and forget about the job? Wish the recording industry was that busy...
30th May 2012
Old 30th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeKalka View Post
I've been trying to get construction started for partition walls in a building I have since MARCH! Where am I now? NOWHERE! I cannot even remember at this point, how many contractors said they were down and willing to help with this project, and never hear back from them. I NEED to get this place done.. The city is requiring work done by a licensed contractor.. Otherwise I'd get my own team together and been done with this a long time ago. Is there any body in my area (South OC, CA) on here that is licensed for this work and could help? Or any advice about this? It may even be true that I just need plans drawn by a "licensed" contractor.. and the actual construction can be DIY. I'll have to double check and report back about that though..

Are these contractors really that busy they can just not call customers back and forget about the job? Wish the recording industry was that busy...
Need a bit more info.
Do you need permission from the city just to build it? Why do they have to know who works with you?
It may be a matter of money if permits are needed.
Is it that involved a project?
Is this a home studio or at another location?
Ibanez Artcore A85 JazzBox, Ibanez SZR720BB, 1989 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1981 Gibson ES-335, 1986 Fender JapStrat.
Effects:
Roland RE-201 Space Echo, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR Analog Stereo Chorus, Digitech RP-1000 MFX
Amps: Fender HR Deluxe 112, Peavey KB100
Recording:
Zoom HD16 Hardware Recorder, Cubase 5, Yamaha HS50m Monitors
JakeKalka
31st May 2012
Old 31st May 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
Need a bit more info.
Do you need permission from the city just to build it? Why do they have to know who works with you?
It may be a matter of money if permits are needed.
Is it that involved a project?
Is this a home studio or at another location?
Yes the city needs to approve building plans before anything. They don't need to know who works with us exactly.. They are just requiring plans done by a licensed professional. Paying for the permits isn't much of the issue here.. They gave us a TI check list of everything they wanted to see on paper.. That was the biggest problem.. Contractors were gonna charge us around 6k just for that drawing the city required. It's not that involved.. We're just building a few partition walls.. And it's in a business park in office/warehouse buildings. We actually got a couple calls back though.. One is very helpful.. He may not do construction.. But is an acoustical guy with connections for everything. We kinda have it figured out as of right now.. But nothing is final or for sure.. Any of these guys can just disappear on me.. We have a contractor that will supply just the drawing.. He is gonna go down to the city with us later to try and get out of most of that BS on that TI checklist.. One guy already has gone down and said he got us out of that. But then he disappeared.. So are acoustic guy is gonna tell us how to everything and what to use.. And we'll just do the actual work ourselves.. Since nobody in the city isn't concerned with that. Hopefully these 2 guys fall through with everything.. Btw.. I got a bid yesterday from a whole different contractor for $80,000! Not 8,000... 80,000... Does that come with an SSL haha? Who the hell does he think he is?
JakeKalka
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear addict

The guy doing the drawing is probably not gonna come through.. So we are looking for somebody to do that.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search