You have received a warm, lingering, though completely asexual hug on Gearslutz
Dean Roddey
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Guru

You have received a warm, lingering, though completely asexual hug on Gearslutz

I mean COME ON! What's up with the moderation around here? All I said was that I love kittens. Some guy was ragging on kittens, obviously he doesn't have any real experience with them and had no idea what he was talking about. So I just step up and say, I thought pretty politely, that I love kittens and that I thought he was being unreasonable.

Next think you know, BAM, I get a PM and it turns out I've received a warm, lingering, though apparently thoroughly asexual, hug on Gearslutz, and that it never will let go. Meanwhile, this other poor guy, clearly a person full of anger and cynicism and far more deserving of this type of moderator intervention than me, gets nothing whatsoever.

I just don't get it. I think I'm going to delete all my posts and quit participating here. And the next time someone is begging for information on what it's like to spoon with Nora Jones, or do bong hits with Sting, and all the other important information I've contributed here in the past, well they can just do without because I just can't take this kind of unbalanced application of affection.

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said, "The true measure of a man is how many inches he is from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet." I think that this is something that people around here need to understand and appreciate.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012

Quiet day is it Dean?!
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Guru

Take it from me-- Sting is MUCH more of a hookah guy. You must be talking about way back in the day.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Kittens are evil...wait, we're not really talking about kittens are we?
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Dean,

Please reconsider -- It's going to take you a loooooong time to delete over 11,000 posts.

- Jim
Dean Roddey
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Kittens are evil...wait, we're not really talking about kittens are we?
See, and I bet they'll never do anything to you for that. There's clearly an anti-kitten bias on this forum.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

It really has kinda gotten weird around these parts, Dean...

Your post is accurate.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear addict

I thought Abraham Lincoln actually said "The true measure of a man is how many inches he is from the top of his wang to the bottom of his wang."

Could be wrong, though.
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I mean COME ON! What's up with the moderation around here? All I said was that I love kittens. Some guy was ragging on kittens, obviously he doesn't have any real experience with them and had no idea what he was talking about. So I just step up and say, I thought pretty politely, that I love kittens and that I thought he was being unreasonable.

Next think you know, BAM, I get a PM and it turns out I've received a warm, lingering, though apparently thoroughly asexual, hug on Gearslutz, and that it never will let go. Meanwhile, this other poor guy, clearly a person full of anger and cynicism and far more deserving of this type of moderator intervention than me, gets nothing whatsoever.

I just don't get it. I think I'm going to delete all my posts and quit participating here. And the next time someone is begging for information on what it's like to spoon with Nora Jones, or do bong hits with Sting, and all the other important information I've contributed here in the past, well they can just do without because I just can't take this kind of unbalanced application of affection.

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said, "The true measure of a man is how many inches he is from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet." I think that this is something that people around here need to understand and appreciate.
Actually Dean, what Abraham Lincoln said was (and I quote):

"You can't trust everything on the Internet"

Look it up.

I'll wait.
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Gear nut

My cat loves bringing headless birds into the house. He just cuts their head and present the bodies as trophies.
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
I think I'm going to delete all my posts and quit participating here.
Oh dear...
How sad...
Never mind...
Dean Roddey
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah, right... View Post
Oh dear...
How sad...
Never mind...
Hmmm... So I'm now no longer welcome because I'm pro-kitten or something?
Dean Roddey
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
Look it up. I'll wait.
How do you spell that again?
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
How do you spell that again?
"T-H-A-T"
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

I had a feeling you'd write that, Tim
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
I had a feeling you'd write that, Tim
Do a search.
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
uncultured button-pusher

18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

i got one of those creepy hugs too for a comment i made on the "baby chimpanzees dressed up as people" thread.

i wont repeat my post for fear of invoking another one.

i swear the moderation on this site is like **** germany on opposite day. i probably won't be around here much longer.
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaclypse View Post
i got one of those creepy hugs too for a comment i made on the "baby chimpanzees dressed up as people" thread.

i wont repeat my post for fear of invoking another one.

i swear the moderation on this site is like **** germany on opposite day. i probably won't be around here much longer.
I could not possibly agree more with your post above. You will be missed. A certain member of the staff seems to have a target painted on me - which is utterly preposterous. I'm not the only one who noticed. I've been PMed by several members about it, and it is not a very comfortable feeling.

He knows who he is, and I certainly hope he reads this and tries to understand we are TRYING to be a community here and bring value to this website with our thoughtful contributions.

More and more of us "veterans" feel like we're being pushed aside around here leaving a lot of newbies to scream at each other and provide plenty of opinion without the years of experience that turns it into advice.

But this is all just IMHO.
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

And by the way Dean, my hug was NOT asexual. I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but during that lingering hug, I felt something against my leg. No matter how many scalding-hot showers I've taken, or how hard I scrub, I still feel unclean.

I hope my post inspires others who have also been affected to not only speak up, but also to stand up to these monsters.
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

I hate any cat that can't kill me and eat me, if you even consider that a real cat.
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

I love this thread
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshire View Post
I love this thread
:-)

It's nice for now...
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
More and more of us "veterans" feel like we're being pushed aside around here leaving a lot of newbies to scream at each other and provide plenty of opinion without the years of experience that turns it into advice.

But this is all just IMHO.
well my guess is that 'veterans' are not so susceptible to some of the advertising going on.
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 View Post
well my guess is that 'veterans' are not so susceptible to some of the advertising going on.
That's a very curious comment... I have a feeling it's also an accurate one as I seem to be oblivious to what you mean here.

how bad is the advertising and what am I missing? Sure I see the banners on top and bottom but hey, Jules has got to pay for the place somehow!!

Am I missing something else?
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Allons-y

I know money has to come in.. but the tone of many of the ads the past year is a bit.. well to me aimed at a younger or noobie audience..
Buzzwords.. and things like these famous mixing engineers use this this and this
says a lot about the target audience of some manufacturers these days as well.
Home recording is in.. running a pro-studio is not.

Also fora tend to have a certain influence on its members.. I see it at the Telescope Forum as well... Long time veterans or some wealthy people are able to afford top of the notch stuff.. and well of course it happens in various degrees but there is a join the club mentality which spurs on some to part with more money than they should.
and it even forms a hobby/trap on it's own.. acquiring stuff instead of using it.

Some threads are packed with good knowledge, the rest is searching for the holy grail of equipment that will magically transform the recordings in to sonic bliss.. which is not how it works.

I've only been up here a couple of years.. but I've seen very cool and knowledgeable members disappear as well.. even with mod interference who rather have them out.
Whilst the contribution they made is far better than the general tone of threads and gearlust around here.

Even our most complex human behaviour is still governed by very basic rules of biology and animal nature..
Which would take me a page more to explain how this ties into the use of advertising, social hiarchy, stature, and even threads like how do I sound like..
It's all too common and goes on around us every day in all fields... and we are all susceptible to it.

This might have started out as a hang out for engineers discussing gear..
But since it's quite a big hit.. I think it turned into something else.. and potential buying audience is likely more important than good advice
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Aww c'mon let's try to stay on topic guys. This is serious stuff.
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

What's not to love? Here's my girls, the one on the right is a Manx.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search