UAD Quad 2-Waste of money!
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

UAD Quad 2-Waste of money!

Deleted! Too much drama about this subject
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

ALL EMULATION PLUGS SUCK in comparison with the REAL HARDWARE.
The only advantage they are cheaper and speedy to use.
Life is still physics not mathematics.

peace
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

I guess I must have gotten one of the good ones!
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

!!
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
I guess I must have gotten one of the good ones!
Yeah you must have.
Enjoy!
Old 4th April 2012
Gear addict

So....you're selling the quad?
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls hit View Post
So....you're selling the quad?
Yes filled with plugs!!
Old 4th April 2012
Gear addict

Going to flip the argument slightly here - totally agree that having hardware is great if its around (fortunate enough myself to have both the QUAD and some hardware counterparts), but I have to say that with the UAD-2, there is something quite nice about having the ability to place all of your project tracks through, say, 60 instances of the 1176, rather than having to do each one at a time through the real thing. Sure, if you've got the time then knock yourself out... but most producers I know work on tight deadlines, and to be honest the plugs arnt too bad - the only people who'll flinch are other sound engineers really.

PS: Also interested in the QUAD if you're selling
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Plugins suck comparing to hardware they emulate, esp. effects units. Yes, UAD Dimension D suck comparing to real unit. There are many more plugins which suck when compared to hardware. Lesson - don't waste your money on plugins, unless there is no hardware equivalent - then resist temptation to buy, and buy some more hardware instead. At some point you will start loving your gear and the results you are getting with it. We only live once, let's use hardware!!!!!!!
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine8 View Post
Does anyone else regret wasting money on this thing?
Nothing against plugs but I certainly would have preferred spending my money on hardware instead.

I gave it a go for a few months, but honestly not impressed in any way. A month later I went out an purchased an API 2500 and wow, this I like.

Don't know, no matter how much I try to like plugs, I just can't.

I mean I often hear producers rave on about the UAD Plugs, but seriously I do not why.

It was actually the arrival of my Roland Dimensions D which arrived in the mail yesterday that promted this thread. What the UAD Plug is supposed to sound the same, no chance. You should hear the real hardware!

It is confirmed, I wasted my money for real!!
Any AB soundclips possible? But honestly made, it is easy to skew the test because of bias... try to make plug-ins sound exactly the same as HW and post the audio...

I know a guy with several 1176LN, LA-2As, Distressors, Eventide 8000 etc. But he swears that if all the toys are taken away from him and he can only choose one thing - he would choose his UAD-2 quad and all the plug ins - he actually has ALL the plug-ins. He raves about the reverbs, loves the new flanger, says he wanted to hear the difference between 1176 and plug-in but just can't, only when pushed extremely and even then..., the only thing that he says is not modelled that well is LA-2A. (I hope UA will make an updated UAD-2 version one day)

Maybe you have a room full of HW, but the fact is - you can mix extremely well with UAD plug-ins. They can't be an excuse for not achieving top sound.

But if you can afford HW and can deal with that workflow and only a few instances of certain compressor, etc., go for it.

Just trying to put across that UAD-2 with all those sweet plug-ins is a very serious mixing tool that you (and maybe a very few others) just happen not to "dig it".
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

I love GEARSLUTZ!
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

The UAD-2 is hardware.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
The UAD-2 is hardware.
Its a dsp chip that is used to process heavy software, dont be fooled.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

If HW produced "instant magic" and the good UAD plug-ins couldn't, I would suggest to check level matching. And try sending the signal out of the box and back to check if you like the added conversion, too.

I use(d) HW, too, but not these days in my mixing set up anymore, it's just too awkward recall wise and not enough instances for my mixing needs (I can't afford several units) and the plug-ins are really good at that moment in time, but the difference is not THAT big as you describe in most cases (from my experience).

Do make some more unbiased tests and see if your original sentiment will stay the same. I know mine have changed through the years.

I am interested in those Dimension D audio clips. I know the 1176LN is really really close and the plug-in is completely usable for mixing, not inferior maybe a bit different like different versions of 1176 are a bit different from each other.

Have you seen that there are quite some HW Porticos 5043 on ebay these days... The Steinberg plug-in is really good.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Its a dsp chip that is used to process heavy software, dont be fooled.
If you can stick it up your ass, it's hardware.
Old 4th April 2012
Gear addict

Software vs hardware again. Ua is at the top of plugin quality, but still plugins. Hardware is cool and more intuative to get creative with. Software is faster and have recall. But both methods are usefull in my workflow.

You have found your approach. Congratulation.
Old 4th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Does dongles count?
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhama View Post
Does dongles count?
Hardly, you need a proper HW dong for that certain application.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I cannot stick it up my ass... So it must be software.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

I seem to always be causing controversy with these type of threads
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Hardly, you need a proper HW dong for that certain application.
you mean a whole Mac or even first generation i lok ??
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Guru

I use both hardware and software (inc UAD 2).
So far I prefer my hardware compressors. I tried a couple of the UAD demos, but wasn't won over.
I really like the UAD EMT 140 plate though.
Even if I had the money, I couldn't fit one in my studio, and I couldn't maintain it in my location.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I seem to always be causing controversy with these type of threads
Nah, it's an old story and there will always be some drama about it.

But seriously - I am indeed interested in hearing the audio clips (wav files if possible) comparison of Roland Dimension D and UAD Dimension D - I couldn't find any such thing around, maybe you could do it... it doesn't take much longer than starting this thread and participating in it - just some acoustic guitar with the setting that sounds the best to you, post the HW, your plug-in application and the source file so we can process it with our own UAD Dimension D and try to come even closer to HW if you wouldn't manage for some reason... Be honest and don't cheat with additional processing on HW part.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

UAD-2 runs software, but it's still hardware, just as a Roland D50 is hardware and not a software synt. Like a Protools Card is hardware. Like a Logic Dongle is hardware. I'm sure you can think of another 1000 more examples for yourself.

The UAD plugins are software. The UAD-2 cards are hardware. I really can't see how people can get confused about this.
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Nah, it's an old story and there will always be some drama about it.

But seriously - I am indeed interested in hearing the audio clips (wav files if possible) comparison of Roland Dimension D and UAD Dimension D - I couldn't find any such thing around, maybe you could do it... it doesn't take much longer than starting this thread and participating in it - just some acoustic guitar with the setting that sounds the best to you, post the HW, your plug-in application and the source file so we can process it with our own UAD Dimension D and try to come even closer to HW if you wouldn't manage for some reason... Be honest and don't cheat with additional processing on HW part.
Hey there, yes the same old story.
If I did do this i would never cheat however tonight all the gear is being disconnected as I have recently purchased the SSL Matrix which is soon to arrive.

Plus it looks like there are a few peeps wanting the UAD Card which means it is likely to be sold soon. Sorry as I would really love to make this clip for you, really I would but instead I have to deal with getting the new studio up and running which is priority for me man.

Thanks for the contribution you have made to this thread, and once i get the studio up running for sure i will make this clip for you
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

Quote:
UAD-2 runs software, but it's still hardware, just as a Roland D50 is hardware and not a software synt. Like a Protools Card is hardware. Like a Logic Dongle is hardware. I'm sure you can think of another 1000 more examples for yourself.

The UAD plugins are software. The UAD-2 cards are hardware. I really can't see how people can get confused about this.
you have a point here

Look this guy I know argues this with me, he says uhhh hardware has software in it, so why cant software sound like hardware.

I think yes there are elements of hardware to the UAD Card, however really we all know it is software and an emulation of software at best!

You know I could not wait to buy this card a year ago when I did an upgrade to my studio, and I expected so much more. I even remained patient and purchased more plugs, but still it let me down.
The Studer plug they sell I purchased, and i felt this actually did more damage then good.
I dont know, I just did not feel it was adding any of that magic or warmth they talk about when selling it...
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

What a meaningless thread...
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
What a meaningless thread...
+1 for spicing it up. Now I can read it over and over and never get tired.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

How many times has this discussion / argument been had? Also, how many interviews have I read, where top engineers openly admit to using plugins as much as their hardware? I use both as well, but I don't think the gap between hardware and software is anywhere as large as people make out.

My two pence here is this. The market has both hardware and software available. Like it or not, people make amazing sounding music with hardware and people make amazing sounding music with software. If you don't want software, buy hardware. If you don't want hardware, buy software. One way is not better than the other. The result is all that counts. If it sounds right in the end, it doesn't matter whether you used hardware or software to get there.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
you have a point here

Look this guy I know argues this with me, he says uhhh hardware has software in it, so why cant software sound like hardware.

I think yes there are elements of hardware to the UAD Card, however really we all know it is software and an emulation of software at best!

You know I could not wait to buy this card a year ago when I did an upgrade to my studio, and I expected so much more. I even remained patient and purchased more plugs, but still it let me down.
The Studer plug they sell I purchased, and i felt this actually did more damage then good.
I dont know, I just did not feel it was adding any of that magic or warmth they talk about when selling it...
UAD Marketing is pretty full on. Again, for me, if you hear it and like it, good for you, if you don't like it, buy something else.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search