Login / Register

UAD Quad 2-Waste of money!
New Reply
Subscribe
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

i heard that uad 2 sounds better on pc .
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance5 View Post
i heard that uad 2 sounds better on pc .
The stereo width is much better on mac, and if you use the hardware at full moon it's sounding much more 3D
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

oh sh**t . where can i find full moons ? maybe apple store ?
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

My wife says hardware is better! She doesn't like Soft - ware
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Its a dsp chip that is used to process heavy software, dont be fooled.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Put a tube in it!
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance5 View Post
oh sh**t . where can i find full moons ? maybe apple store ?
Why not use the UAD emulated full moon plugin?
Antoine8
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Antoine8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
UAD Marketing is pretty full on. Again, for me, if you hear it and like it, good for you, if you don't like it, buy something else.
Fair enough!
Antoine8
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGobe View Post
My wife says hardware is better! She doesn't like Soft - ware
ha ha ha ha ha
Antoine8
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
How many times has this discussion / argument been had? Also, how many interviews have I read, where top engineers openly admit to using plugins as much as their hardware? I use both as well, but I don't think the gap between hardware and software is anywhere as large as people make out.

My two pence here is this. The market has both hardware and software available. Like it or not, people make amazing sounding music with hardware and people make amazing sounding music with software. If you don't want software, buy hardware. If you don't want hardware, buy software. One way is not better than the other. The result is all that counts. If it sounds right in the end, it doesn't matter whether you used hardware or software to get there.

Right lets be honest though, do cats just by software because it sounds better ? or do they buy it because it is cheaper and easier?

If you were given a choice today someone said to you I am giving you all the money and no limitations on what you want to buy, i assure you would buy all the best hardware money can afford right?
You would not buy some software would you?

I look at software as being rather disposable like a paper coffee cup, comes and goes and throw it out!

It is cheap, it is cracked free on the net and actually not worth making music with for me.....it is a little fake

Maybe I am just fortunate enough that I can buy hardware, and when I get the hardware it does not simply pile up like the plugins do, worthless bits of software!

I think hardware is more wanted now then ever........and as we continue on with the evolution of software, hardware will still always play a big part in the high end studios and project studios...

Imagine walking into a studio with just a laptop and a pair of monitors, BORING!!!!!!!...................
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

I moved from hardware to software because of all the limitations of hardware. Software sounds just as good, can do things that hardware cannot do (pitch and timing correction, larger guis, ganging effects, automation of each and every knob etc etc) it gives me total recall, it gives me unlimited buses and auxes, it's reasonably portable if I wanted to move it for a project even though I'm not a laptop user, I can try any effect chain without diving into my patchbay, my room doesn't heat like a sauna anymore when I work for hours. It lets me work faster and concentrate on the music. The reasons are endless. I would definately choose software over hardware regardless of budget.
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
I moved from hardware to software because of all the limitations of hardware. Software sounds just as good, can do things that hardware cannot do (pitch and timing correction, larger guis, ganging effects, automation of each and every knob etc etc) it gives me total recall, it gives me unlimited buses and auxes, it's reasonably portable if I wanted to move it for a project even though I'm not a laptop user, I can try any effect chain without diving into my patchbay, my room doesn't heat like a sauna anymore when I work for hours. It lets me work faster and concentrate on the music. The reasons are endless. I would definately choose software over hardware regardless of budget.
I did this a long time ago, I'm back on hardware.

The mix is ALLLLLLLLLLMOSSSTTTT 'perfect'.
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'm sure you're not alone.
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
Why not use the UAD emulated full moon plugin?
To be used with caution, it drives everybody crazy in the studio
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Died for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magucci View Post
Life is still physics not mathematics.
WHAAT???!?!?!?
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
ALL EMULATION PLUGS SUCK in comparison with the REAL HARDWARE.
Ummmm....what about UAD-2's new 1176's. That may be the only good example I have, besides other UAD plugins...but you have to try them before you knock em
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

How many UAD plug in instances can I run on a quad card. Say I was running just Neve EQ's. How many could I get?

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Check the UA instance chart.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
I am so sorry.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I am so sorry.
Haha, I know right? Wtf
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine8 View Post
Right lets be honest though, do cats just by software because it sounds better ? or do they buy it because it is cheaper and easier?

If you were given a choice today someone said to you I am giving you all the money and no limitations on what you want to buy, i assure you would buy all the best hardware money can afford right?
You would not buy some software would you?

I look at software as being rather disposable like a paper coffee cup, comes and goes and throw it out!

It is cheap, it is cracked free on the net and actually not worth making music with for me.....it is a little fake

Maybe I am just fortunate enough that I can buy hardware, and when I get the hardware it does not simply pile up like the plugins do, worthless bits of software!

I think hardware is more wanted now then ever........and as we continue on with the evolution of software, hardware will still always play a big part in the high end studios and project studios...

Imagine walking into a studio with just a laptop and a pair of monitors, BORING!!!!!!!...................
I think the reason, is not always a money issue.
If software sounds like hardware...mmmmmmmm.... I would only buy software! Why? Because I also don't use a typewriter, instead I use PC / words. It's more comfortable.

If I track I prefer hardware, because of latency.

So, yesterday I demo the new UAD 1176 and I say only one thing: WOW
I have the hardware, but this UAD 1176 sounds really amazing and touch me soundwise, what normaly only hardware could do. This sound like hardware, imho.

imho
TonyR
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Contrary to the title of the thread, I believe UAD plugins to be the best value out there, including the dongle/dsp price. 1 instance of Massive Passive and you already made a bargain.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Contrary to the title of the thread, I believe UAD plugins to be the best value out there, including the dongle/dsp price. 1 instance of Massive Passive and you already made a bargain.
I 100% agree!

I couldn't believe how good the new UAD 1176 are! I couldn't tell the different between this plugin and my hardware, so the future of plugin will be good.

And for erverybody who think hardware has more value, I think that the future will show us that it will change, think about Tape machines for example.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
And for erverybody who think hardware has more value, I think that the future will show us that it will change, think about Tape machines for example.
Tape machines are an entirely different thing than outboard gear. People have been replacing their tape machines with DAWs for years. Some people do use both together, sure, but most aren't. DAWs were designed to replace tape machines (and mixers, to a lesser degree). Plus, tape machines are expensive to maintain, bulky, and tape is expensive and getting harder and harder to come by. And as far as I'm aware, tape machines never appreciated in value, whereas much outboard gear has.

You will always need at least some hardware to get your sound from a microphone to your converters.
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
I guess I must have gotten one of the good ones!
Hey, me too!
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

I absolutely love my UAD 2 quad and I have 98% of all the plugins and they are no joke
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Banned

Whenever I think about getting one of these things I realize I need to save my money for some hardware instead.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Life is still physics not mathematics.

peace
Yea my throat uses 12 volts and the gain noob is my balls,wanna hear me scream?kick'em

The ladies figured out how to make me moan...

They hook up jumper cables to them,yea that's real physics for ya.

10th August 2012
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Its a dsp chip that is used to process heavy software, dont be fooled.

haha that's exactly what hardware reverb units are as well
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Banned

Gotta love GS
12th August 2012
Old 12th August 2012
Lives for gear

Im a PRO producer/engineer with MANY hits to my credits and I LOVE all of the UAD 2 plugins
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search