UA abandons UAD-1 card users
New Reply
Subscribe
scoring4films
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

UA abandons UAD-1 card users

"as part of this 64-bit transition, upcoming versions of UAD Powered Plug-Ins software will no longer support legacy UAD-1 DSP Accelerator devices."

I guess that concludes my relationship with UA.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Are they not offering to buy your old UAD1 cards for trade-in, ala Avid?

You can trade-in:

One (1) UAD-1 card towards purchase of a new UAD-2 SOLO – $200 discount
(Includes UAD-2 SOLO or SOLO Flexi)

Up to two (2) UAD-1 cards towards purchase of a new UAD-2 DUO or UAD-2 DUO Satellite – $400 discount
(Includes UAD-2 DUO, DUO Flexi, DUO Satellite or DUO Satellite Flexi)

Up to three (3) UAD-1 cards towards purchase of a UAD-2 QUAD or UAD-2 QUAD Satellite – $600 discount
(Includes UAD-2 QUAD, QUAD Flexi, QUAD Neve, QUAD Omni, QUAD Satellite, QUAD Satellite Flexi, or QUAD Satellite Omni)

UAD1 tech probably cannot go 64bit.
scoring4films
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

"UAD1 tech probably cannot go 64bit."

are you sure about that?

Trade in at an 80% loss? No thanks. Gladly take a full refund though.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

I saw somewhere when UAD2 came about that those uad1 chips are not capable of 64bit.

Loss? As old as those cards are I'm quite sure you have made your return on investment by now and then some. They could have offered nothing for obsolete cards that they are just going to chuck away.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012

Hmmm

What if you have both UAD1 and UAD2 in your system?

Edit: Here's the answer:

Quote:
"Please note that your UAD-1 card(s) will continue to work exactly the same as it always has; but you will no longer be able to install future UAD software.

Although we have not introduced a new UAD-1 plug-in for more than two years, owners of mixed “UAD-1-and-UAD-2” systems will soon have to decide whether to download future UAD-2 software containing new plug-ins, or to stay at their “pre-6.2” software version to retain UAD-1 compatibility."
I now wonder if you can trade in two UAD1's on a single UAD2..

matt
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
Nope. See post 2 above.
scoring4films
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

UAD-1 "not capable of 64bit."? Can anyone confirm this?

Strange that UA didn't mention that in the email I just got, informing me that my UAD-1 card just became worthless.

The trade-in scheme is no consolation to me. I won't be spending more money on a UAD-2, knowing that UA could abandone it at any time, in order to force me to buy another product.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to The dman
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoring4films View Post

Strange that UA didn't mention that in the email I just got, informing me that my UAD-1 card just became worthless.

The trade-in scheme is no consolation to me. I won't be spending more money on a UAD-2, knowing that UA could abandone it at any time, in order to force me to buy another product.
Why would they even want to screw around with UAD1? Processing power is through the roof compared to when they came out.

So right now your card is worth about $100 (not including premium plugins) and they are offering $200 buy back to be applied to another card. Solo cards could probably be bought for $350 if you looked hard enough so for an additional $150 you could get a card that equal to 2.5 cards. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
Yes, you can. See post 2 above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Up to two (2) UAD-1 cards towards purchase of a new UAD-2 DUO or UAD-2 DUO Satellite – $400 discount
(Includes UAD-2 DUO, DUO Flexi, DUO Satellite or DUO Satellite Flexi)

Quote:
Jesus, how much did you pay for your UAD1s? I got mine used for $100 apiece.

For me, the trade-in deal is a no-brainer. I'm not using any third-party ITB compression or EQ that isn't UAD. Sure, I think Nigel is actually kind of useful at times, but I'll live.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to The dman
I wish I could run a solo on another computer with the same licences because I have a quad and really don't need it.

Personally if they offered a $200 plugin voucher I'd go for that instead.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

<DELETED BY MODERATOR> Firstly, your UAD-1 did not just magically become "worthless", any more than Digidesign MIX cards became worthless when HD cards were introduced. Yes, their second hand street value declined, but guess what? That's what happens to ALL tech over time. Welcome to reality, sweetheart.

Secondly, no one is "forcing" you to buy anything. I know this will come as a great shock to you, but your UAD-1 card will continue to work just fine with the current version of the UAD software for as long as you like. Just as there are still people running legacy MIX systems or older HD systems despite the existence of new HD hardware and dropped software support for older hardware.

And finally, stop pretending UA is some capricious company that could "abandon" existing hardware at any time. The UAD-1 was fully supported with every software release for over a decade, and even now they're giving advance notice and offering a generous upgrade path.

A little perspective might help you out here.

The four most expensive words in the English language are: "This time it's different."
--John Marks Templeton
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Died for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Stop being a drama queen.

And finally, stop pretending UA is some capricious company that could "abandon" existing hardware at any time. The UAD-1 was fully supported with every software release for over a decade, and even now they're giving advance notice and offering a generous upgrade path.

Well said. They are offering a solution to move forward and you chose to look at it in a negative light. You get to keep all of the plugins that you have for your UAD1 (except Nigel) and a discount on a new card which is on the least 2 1/2 times more powerful.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Stop being a drama queen. Firstly, your UAD-1 did not just magically become "worthless", any more than Digidesign MIX cards became worthless when HD cards were introduced. Yes, their second hand street value declined, but guess what? That's what happens to ALL tech over time. Welcome to reality, sweetheart.

Secondly, no one is "forcing" you to buy anything. I know this will come as a great shock to you, but your UAD-1 card will continue to work just fine with the current version of the UAD software for as long as you like. Just as there are still people running legacy MIX systems or older HD systems despite the existence of new HD hardware and dropped software support for older hardware.

<DELETED BY MODERATOR> UA's upgrade policies piss off a lot of people. The OP is just venting a little steam about being forced to invest in more hardware to move forward. Yeah, UA offers a reasonable deal, but allow him a little latitude to be upset.

DB
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowman View Post
No need to be a condescending dick about it. UA's upgrade policies piss off a lot of people. The OP is just venting a little steam about being forced to invest in more hardware to move forward. Yeah, UA offers a reasonable deal, but allow him a little latitude to be upset.

DB
Sorry, I forgot we live in an über-PC era, where everyone's irrational "upset" must be validated, no matter how much it may lack perspective.

And again, no one is being "forced" to do anything. I thought Avid's upgrade prices for PT10HD was a ripoff, but I'm not "forced" to upgrade, I can stay on PT8HD for as long as I like, which is exactly what I'm doing. And a UAD-1 user can continue to use their UAD-1 with the current version of the UAD software for as long as they like with their current setup. Easy breezy.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

My old workhorse computer will run with it's UAD1 until it bites the dust. No need to "upgrade" - in fact it's still on OSX 10.4.11 and I stopped installing new UAD software years ago. WTF!?!? I can't complain, the card has earned me lots of money and paid off nearly 10 years ago. When I get newer machines they will get a new card and THAT system will have to run for many years - I don't like buying computers or upgrade running systems. I have WORK to do. Won't get rid of the old system in case I have to call up old mixes.
GS fun: people who can't drive ask other people who can't drive if they should buy a 12 ton truck or a BMW. Then ask somebody from Berlin (with a map of Moscow) for the way to the train station in Hongkong. Somebody stresses the importance of grabbing the steering wheel with one hand only, as Bruce Swedien was reported to have done that 1986, while reversing into his driveway.
If want to check some tasteful piece of art I was involved, here: https://soundcloud.com/frans_13/organtransplant
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Silly moan... UAD-2 has been out for quite a while and UAD-1 hasnt been able to use their new plugs.

But hey moan away. Its why this room is here.

We all know UAD-2 rocks, I loved UAD-1 cause I could get a UA card for cheap!

I understand your pain but its already been set in stone for a while. Keep using those UAD-1's or trade em in!
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for the heads up!
scoring4films
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

I'd still like know if UAD-1 cards are heading to landfills now because they are technically incapable of 64-bit, or because UA would just prefer to sell more UAD-2's

Because of my RAM needs, I have to upgrade to a 64-bit DAW, so my UAD-1 card is pretty much worthless. Bit bridges are unreliable. The trade-in is a nice gesture, but it's just that old "spend money to save money" marketing trick.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

I bought 4 UAD-1s brand new. Now they're obsolete, but so is the G5 I have them installed in.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

The fact remains that the UAD-1 card had a great run, 10 years. Which in computer tech time is an eternity. And the fact that all it's going to cost a UAD1 user to go up to a UAD2 for probably another decade of usage or more is a measly $200 is pretty much a no brainer.

If spending $200 bucks to be set for another decade is beyond the pale, or some egregious "marketing gimmick", then I give up.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Kills for gear

Quote:
I'd still like know if UAD-1 cards are heading to landfills now because they are technically incapable of 64-bit, or because UA would just prefer to sell more UAD-2's

Because of my RAM needs, I have to upgrade to a 64-bit DAW, so my UAD-1 card is pretty much worthless. Bit bridges are unreliable. The trade-in is a nice gesture, but it's just that old "spend money to save money" marketing trick.
I understand that the obsolescence of technology is frustrating, but I'm not sure exactly what you think UA should be doing about it? To the best of my knowledge Dell wasn't going to take back my old Pentium 4 computer when it couldn't any longer handle my upgrade to Cubase 5. 64bit didn't exist when they desinged the UAD-1 cards.
We should really be thankful they even offer us anything. I own a license for GVI from Tascam and it's less than useless, they just stopped supporting it and I have thousands sunk into gigastudio libraries that I have to buy other software to use on Win 7. Not Tascam's fault and even less so UA's fault that processing architecture has moved on. I registered my first UAD-1 literally 10 years ago and just gave it away to a fellow gearslutz member, the writing was on the wall with that card 3 years ago. For what you can pick up a solo for you get way more return. Yeah it's frustrating, but there's a reason why the hardware 1176 goes up in value and plugins are basically a no return on investment as they age.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stop being a drama queen.
scoring4films
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

thanks all for the replies. I didn't know that the price of the solo had come down so much.

So now the decision is, buy back into UAD and face future hardware obsolescence, or move completely into native plugs, where developers typically offer free upgrades for new OS's.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

I already have the trade-in code for my Uad-1. Good riddance. Old finicky piece of junk. Waiting on a call back from my music store. I'm thrilled.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Kills for gear

Quote:
thanks all for the replies. I didn't know that the price of the solo had come down so much.

So now the decision is, buy back into UAD and face future hardware obsolescence, or move completely into native plugs, where developers typically offer free upgrades for new OS's.
I have been slowly trying to phase out my UAD plugins with alternatives. It would be nice to take my laptop into a better studio and just jack in to their monitoring system to mix. I grabbed the TRacks singles for the 1176 and LA-2A, two of my most used UAD plugins. If I can eventually live without the reverbs (plate and EMT), the Neve 1073 and the Fatso I might well be free of the DSP card.
The UAD plugins are great, but native developers are catching up and their plugins are getting cheap while UAD is going up in price.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:

There are plenty of great companies out there with excellent plugins that don't tie their software down to over glorified hardware DRM.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:

So you value the last few years work use you got out of the UAD 1 at $0.

If you trade in an old car you don't get a full refund on it.
You got use out of your UAD1, so if you want to change to UAD 2 you accept a decent offer from UAD, or you move on to a different style of plug-ins.
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012

I'll take your UAD1 if you don't want it.

Off topic but can someone clarify why 64 bit support is so important for plugins?
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012

Quote:
"as part of this 64-bit transition, upcoming versions of UAD Powered Plug-Ins software will no longer support legacy UAD-1 DSP Accelerator devices."

I guess that concludes my relationship with UA.
why do you need support for UAD-1?
isn't it discontinued? it's pci bus
which is obsolete.
scoring4films
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear addict

PCI is far from obsolete. Still available on many of the newest motheboards.

In my line of work, I often have to re-open old projects, which means all the plugs used in the older projects need to be available. I have to upgrade to a 64-bit DAW and I would have liked to have kept my UAD-1 card in that DAW, so that all my old work would remain available, with a minimum of compatibility issues.

I don't need more instances of UAD plugs or a faster DSP card.

If UA is cutting support for the UAD-1 because of some unworkable technical issue with 64-bit technology, that's fine. As some have pointed out, keeping my UAD plugs available in 64-bit by spending more money on a UAD-2 card isn't that unreasonable.

But the fact that the email sent out by Bill Putnam Jr. himself doesn't mention anything about the UAD-1 being technically incapable of 64-bit, leaves me wondering why UA decided to abandon the card. If their goal is to force users like me to buy more of their products, I think it's fair to feel a bit disappointed about that.

I don't think anyone's business model should be based on forcing users to landfill perfectly good hardware.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search