Let dead threads rest in peace
anthonythecat
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Let dead threads rest in peace

I don't think I've ever started a thread in these forums before but here is my moan for today.

Please stop replying to dead threads!

Seems like I've been reading a lot of threads lately that have been resurrected from the graveyard by someone who thinks replying to a thread that has long since past into the depths of the forum's servers and hasn't seen the light of day for a couple of years is a good idea.

I just got sucked into a post about Behringer and their "tubes" from the main forum page. When I went back to the start of the thread the first post was in 2007 and the last post was in October 2007. Someone, today, thought it would be a good to post a reply to that last post.

Where the hell do these people find these threads and why do they think that replying to something 3 and a half years old is useful?
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonythecat View Post
Where the hell do these people find these threads and why do they think that replying to something 3 and a half years old is useful?
It's from the Search function, and it is actively encouraged by the management and moderators here as a means to reduce the number of duplicate threads.

No one is forcing any of us to be here.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear maniac

I just put a note on my calender to necro post this a year from now on friday.

It's not easy being a troll you know. :P
anthonythecat
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTbreaker View Post
It's not easy being a troll you know. :P
Yeah, it's a tough job man. The pay's lousy and you never get respect but someone's got to do it right?

Also like to apologise for the mistake I made in my original post. I said the behringer post was 3 1/2 years old. Just realised it 2012 already so I guess that makes it 4 1/2 years old.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTbreaker View Post
I just put a note on my calender to necro post this a year from now on friday.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear addict

Ya man, searching through old post and old gear is awesome. Figuring out how to use samplers from the 80 and searching about how other people use them is amazing. If I could reply to the post from the original users of all that gear in all that time, that'd be the ultimate!
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear nut

Old threads are great, so much info. This thread is a little trollish.
KT1
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Actually i kind of agree.

Sure the 'search' tool is great! Nothing wrong with bringing back a thread that you have a bolt on question for. It helps to see all of the commentary in one place as opposed to 3 different places.

What is frustrating when thread 'do you like MPC 3k?' is revived by someone to state ' yes i use it all the time'.

Bless
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Sometimes it's not intentional...people sometimes respond to posts in the "Similar Threads" list that's at the bottom of every page. This thread, or instance, has threads with last posts from 2002, 2006, 2007, and August and October of last year (all but one of which have "dead" in the title).
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Bump.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Bump.
ROTFL!! You win, Vincent.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

Actually, the old vintage thread is much warmer, and has more of presence.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

You reply at a moderate tempo, increase the threshold to lock to the thread groove.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
You reply at a moderate tempo, increase the threshold to lock to the thread groove.
Bump , Bump , Bump , Bump ?

I suppose if you are making a necro reply it might be polite to include "sorry for the necro , I just wanted to ask"
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012

Gearslutz is a free environment, people can do what they want. You can bring back old threads and no one is obligated to use the search function. Also I have seen many old threads be resurrected and people get some great information.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

I see nothing wrong in digging up old threads, so long as the "resurrector" is staying on topic. I've done it myself.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Poet View Post
I see nothing wrong in digging up old threads, so long as the "resurrector" is staying on topic. I've done it myself.
Ahh ,it's the curse of the living thread!
anthonythecat
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Seems like I'm in a minority of one then.

Oh well. That's nothing new
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Banned

Bumb it!
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Funny you mention this, OP.
An old thread of mine was recently shot with re-agent and brought back and is still a productive thread. Don't see anything wrong with noobs discovering an old one.
Bordering on trollish, I agree!
So lets let this thread die for good, eh?
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Hey it was almost dead, but I just gave it a kiss of life:

and another one:

5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'd like to feel FREEEE on the internet.....
I get enough of being bossed around by My Wife The rest of the day
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn Taylor View Post
I'd like to feel FREEEE on the internet.....
I get enough of being bossed around by My Wife The rest of the day
That's why I don't have a wife anymore.
No I get bossed on the net.
Go figure!
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

Frankly, I don't see why not to respond in old threads. If the new information is available concerning the topic, I find it much more irritating when posted in a new thread ignoring the old one.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Night of the Living Thread
run, megalodon
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
run, megalodon

Ack. The OP is completely wrong. We should be encouraging thread resurrection. That way all the info on one subject is in the same place (as much as possible at least), you don't have to read through a bunch of threads to find useful info, there is less clutter and noise in the forum, and people don't have to repeat points that they or somebody else said in another thread. The forum is a library that we can all contribute to. Most of the information that we deal with does not expire after a certain date. It's not a chat room and it's not Twitter.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
The Audio Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
Ack. The OP is completely wrong. We should be encouraging thread resurrection. That way all the info on one subject is in the same place (as much as possible at least), you don't have to read through a bunch of threads to find useful info, there is less clutter and noise in the forum, and people don't have to repeat points that they or somebody else said in another thread. The forum is a library that we can all contribute to. Most of the information that we deal with does not expire after a certain date. It's not a chat room and it's not Twitter.
I approve this message.
22nd June 2012
Old 22nd June 2012
The Audio Whisperer

Ironic bump
22nd June 2012
Old 22nd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post
Ironic bump
22nd June 2012
Old 22nd June 2012
Lives for gear

My favorite kind of thread resurrection is when some guy asks, in 2009, how to use some piece of equipment. He's in a hurry because it's an important gig. And then the answer comes, in 2012: "turn the big knob to the left, hth" as if the poor fool has been frozen in time for three years waiting for the answer.

haha.

-synthoid
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search