Waves "Analog" Button.
New Reply
Subscribe
JoRillo
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Jack of all Trades

Waves "Analog" Button.

If it didn't default to ON, then it might be alright... but does anyone actually find the annoying hiss it gives to be beneficial?
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Send a message via MSN to jordanvoth
I leave it on when it's the SSL plugs, off on the API plugs cause I find the hiss too much.
JoRillo
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Jack of all Trades

My favorite is when I use H-Delay and I have like 3-4 different delays set up on Aux tracks - so it's just constantly hissing at me. I don't always notice it when I'm doing the mix, but as soon as I reload up my project and get blasted with hiss, I just have to....
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
If it didn't default to ON, then it might be alright... but does anyone actually find the annoying hiss it gives to be beneficial?
I COMPLETELY AGREE!! That is THE MOST annoying thing about Waves. What's even more annoying is that soooo many engineers don't even know about it!

Seriously, how hard would it be to default the setting to off?? That's just like a big middle finger to the user.
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Banned

I replaced the defaults with my own, all "analog" set to off
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
I replaced the defaults with my own, all "analog" set to off
You are a genius! I wonder if you could save those presets and then copy that presets folder to a flash drive and bring it into a different studio and paste them onto a different rig.
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AASteveo View Post
You are a genius! I wonder if you could save those presets and then copy that presets folder to a flash drive and bring it into a different studio and paste them onto a different rig.
Ha, or you could just remember to be detail-oriented and make sure that light is OFF!

Agreed, the analog hiss adds very little. Keep it on one or two tracks but that's it. Actually with acoustic recordings digital silence doesn't happen you always have some amount of room tone.
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear addict

I was playing with the H-delay the other day, just seeing what presets are in there (there are some pretty funky ones actually). Anyway eventually I got back to mixing and manipulated the delay to do what I wanted it to do, but couldnt figure out for the life of me why a certain slightly louder word on the vocal track was clipping and distorting like crazy. Checked the pre-fade meters, no clipping, checked each plugin, no clipping, checked all busses, master faders, no clipping, checked monitoring chain, no clipping.

Eventually narrowed it down to the fact that one of the presets I had played with flicked the analog button to number 3, which for some reason clips audio viciously well below 0dBFS.

But yes, I find the hiss annoying - I make my own presets as well. Same thing for compressors, I hate opening them up when they are already doing gain reduction, so I set the default threshold to be high, makeup gain at +/-0.
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
I leave it on when it's the SSL plugs, off on the API plugs cause I find the hiss too much.
Interesting - if you watch the Waves tutorial on these plugs on waves.com the guy (Barry Wood, author of "Mixing by the Bundle") says the only plugins he leaves the analog turned "ON" for are the API - that they are the only ones that actually model the analog behavior and don't just add hiss!
"You only have a certain amount of headroom with Pro Tools... if you start pushing it a little bit too hard it's starts squawking like a chicken, if you go too low, it starts squawkin', you have to work within a certain realm otherwise you get zapped either way!" - Tad Donley (2006)
-
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

I recorded myself taking a piss on a de-esser screen (digital outboard), looped it and have a great new analog blank for warmth. Happiness is a warm analog tapesound.
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
I recorded myself taking a piss on a de-esser screen (digital outboard), looped it and have a great new analog blank for warmth. Happiness is a warm analog tapesound.
A buddy and I once sampled bacon frying and had it playing on a constant loop on the last fader of his console so we could add "sizzle" whenever a producer/client asked for it
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
A buddy and I once sampled bacon frying and had it playing on a constant loop on the last fader of his console so we could add "sizzle" whenever a producer/client asked for it
Ha! Was kidd'in of course about the screenshot. The Baconfry is genious! LOL!
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Banned

Mmmmmmmmm Bacon!
DSK
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

When I demoed PIE compressor I found that the hiss was just too much.

What was not nice was that it felt that it took more than hiss when analog was turned off.

The behaviour changed. One of the reasons I didn't purchase it.
I think I will sometimes in the future as it's a really cool compressor.

But they realised this and on MPX you have a hiss knob... just lovely! add as much hiss as you want.. or just clear it completely.
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Banned

BLT's w/ extra mayo and house fries. Damn!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search