The ONE FEATURE Cubase NEEDS GRRR
Old 11th March 2012
Gear nut

The ONE FEATURE Cubase NEEDS GRRR

I tell you what the most annoying thing is they've not thought about ... Well two things really.

1. When you press F11 to bring up your VST instrument menu and want to set multi-outs for say your drum plug in, wouldn't it be nice if you cloud hold shift and activate / deactivate as many channels as you like?? Instead of having to re-open the multi out list to activate 1 channel each time.

I really didn't enjoy having to activate 20 + channels so I can use the DAW mixer.

2. Master buss Stereo / Mono button (like they have in Logic). That would be nice also...

Rant over.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear nut

On point #1, yeah Samplitude couldn't do that either.

Click
Click
Click
Click
Click
*Scan with eyes*
Click

One out of sixteen done!

Annoying.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

You can activate them all at once. AFAIK, Deactivating them is another story.
Old 11th March 2012
Manic Modulator

You can activate or deactivate them all at once with a single click. I tend to just activate them all and then turn off any channels that I don't need later . . . Cubase seems to check the dongle every time which is annoying :[

A mono switch on all stereo tracks (or at least on stereo groups, FX and output busses) would be damn cool and save me a heap of time! Having to load a plug for just this basic function is annoying . .

Also, some decent metering and legending on the mixer for frack's sake . . . I trialled Nuendo 5.5 and was extremely annoyed that the Nuendo mixer has legending yet the Cubase mixer does not . . . I used to hack the Cubase meter colour settings to give myself a decent level guide but that's not possible since Cubase 6 damnit :[

Some adjustable average metering in addition to peak metering would surely be better than just adding in new synths and factory content that I don't even want? Surely this would be a basic feature for a 'professional' program? Surely?

Aahhh . . it feels nice to rant :]

Last edited by Red Black; 11th March 2012 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: none of your business :]
Old 11th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
You can activate them all at once. AFAIK, Deactivating them is another story.
I know you can my main gripe is if you're using something like Kontakt 5 (which has hundreds of multi outs in the drop down menu) and you only want to activate say 15 of them instead of all 100..

Another feature I just thought of would be if you could select (say the snare track) and get Cubase to find the loudest peak and automatically gain ride all the lower notes to the louder peak. A little like the Waves Vocal Rider...

Also gripe (or I've not noticed it yet) is if you automate the volume of a channel then decided the fader needs to be brought up a little higher in the mix, the automation you've added wont automatically compensate so it'll just keep snapping the fader back to the original automation points so you have to go to the automation field select it all and move it up a few db.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to hack the Cubase meter colour settings to give myself a decent level guide but that's not possible since Cubase 6 damnit
You can set as many colours as you like, the changes can be hard edged or faded.....what else could you possibly want to do??

Quote:
Also gripe (or I've not noticed it yet) is if you automate the volume of a channel then decided the fader needs to be brought up a little higher in the mix, the automation you've added wont automatically compensate so it'll just keep snapping the fader back to the original automation points so you have to go to the automation field select it all and move it up a few db.
Yes...The fader follows the automation in it's default mode....what you need in this case is called trim mode.
You could probably have found that in the manual in less time than it took you to select all those nodes & move them up a few db
Old 11th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Yes...The fader follows the automation in it's default mode....what you need in this case is called trim mode.
You could probably have found that in the manual in less time than it took you to select all those nodes & move them up a few db
I've found it now, actually made my day! haha lord knows why I never bothered reading the manuel, mind you... I hate reading
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTinkle View Post
I know you can my main gripe is if you're using something like Kontakt 5 (which has hundreds of multi outs in the drop down menu) and you only want to activate say 15 of them instead of all 100..
Yeah, Im with you there. Of course, you could use the Kontakt 16 out version. In general, I'd like to see an dedicated browser window where you'd have an improved VST instrument rack area. My usual template leaves the right side open for the instrument rack, CPU meter, remote devices anyway so having a dedicated window that includes that information along with file/plugin browsing would be nice.
Old 11th March 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

I'm still in love with the quantizing features. It's saved me hours of time.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
I'm still in love with the quantizing features. It's saved me hours of time.
+1 The new drum audio quantise has saved me SO much time on live drums and the audio to midi feature makes sample replacement so easy!
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Everyone/anyone move on to 6.5 yet?
Old 16th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
I'm not going to waste my money on it just for the sake of some extra VSTs, sound-cloud feature and some DJ tools.

The new slide feature is interesting but like the rest of it's new features you can already do them now. It's just been simplified and made more intuitive.

The fact it can handle FLAC is the only thing I'd get it for, but that's still not a strong enough reason for me.

I'm just going to hold fire till Cubase 7.
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
6.5 is nice. Both instruments sound really good and it's stable. The only issue I had was with VST expression maps, but I believe that issue was present before 6.5. Installed 6.5.1 today but haven't had a chance to check out whether it's fixed.

Considering 6.5 is basically a "buy in" discount to C7, I figured why not learn some of the new stuff now.
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah I got excited reading about it at first but then I was like.....wait a sec...

It's only $50 though...not a huge investment.

Those VST additions just sounded like ass to me though. I listened to their "demos" and was like WTF?? They sound like some generic freeware VSTs I downloaded 6 years ago and are still buried on my HD somewhere, no character IMO.

Im kinda into the Soundcloud idea. It'd be nice to shortcut that roundabout. I wouldnt mind the comping tool too, its kinda weird cutting takes up and clicking around and muting.

What's the slide feature?
Old 16th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
What's the slide feature?
Basically instead of cutting an audio block and moving it (to get something in time) you can just click, hold and move the wave form left and right inside the block.
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
6.5 is nice. Both instruments sound really good ....
Hmmm...bcz u sed that (and I'm bored lol) I decided to give the demos another listen via the Steinberg site.

I think I was listening to them at work on my shit desktop speakers. So far the Padshop does sound pretty good (on HS80's). I have Absynth 5 though...tough competition.

Retrologue is MEH to me...not really into the 80's style synth emulations anyways.
Old 16th March 2012
Manic Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTinkle View Post
Basically instead of cutting an audio block and moving it (to get something in time) you can just click, hold and move the wave form left and right inside the block.
Ah, that's slip editing . . It's in Cubase 6.05, I use it every day :] Another feature I saw them push which is already in 6.05 is the ability to solo individual lanes . .

The only thing I'm in interested in with 6.5.x is the revamped lanes functionality!
Old 16th March 2012
Manic Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
You can set as many colours as you like, the changes can be hard edged or faded.....
I'm glad you mentioned that! I'm now happy with my rainbow of meter colours :]

Of course if Steinberg actually put basic level markers next to the meter (like they do in Nuendo) I wouldn't have to use the meter colours to approximate levels :[
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search