Login / Register

Dave Grohl on the Grammys just said...
New Reply
Subscribe
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

listened to to the album a few times during the last days in my car.
i already got it a few month back but because of all that,...yeah its recorded in the garage and its pure analogue, it was just annoying a little bit.

i have to say, that record is really really amazing!
i can feel the songs when i listen to them! i really cant remember the last time when i felt like this listening to a record.
but beside that when i listen to it in my car there are so many annoying resonances in some songs that i really wish i could notch them out *gg*

after wasting lights i listened to the last paramount record and what shall i say, when you compare both records its just ridiculous. you can hear the sampled drums, its all so thin, small, especially snare and guitars.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Banned

His output is steady. I'm not a huge fan but he is consistent. Never though of him as anything more then middle of the road. Not in a bad way though.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

This thread typifies what has gone awfully wrong with Gearslutz...

Good work, Jules...
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_asakawa View Post
This thread typifies what has gone awfully wrong with Gearslutz...

Good work, Jules...
You beat me to it. I was also going to add:
"Please be careful. This thread gets members suspended/banned."
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear maniac

i dunno what everyone's problem is. Wasting Light is a great rock record. the arrangements are interesting, the band is tight and energetic, there's good variety. lots of emotion coming through. guitar toanz are cool. it's not lame like Nickelback or Creed. what else do you want?
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

I can respect Foo Fighters, they might be getting to that point where they're churning out the greatest hits most nights and getting Grammy nods based on their profile and not necessarily their new music, but at least they're an old-fashioned rock band still out there at the top.
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
All is cool... but far from any DIY or home recording... don't confuse the rookies.

It is as much DIY as was "Exile on Main Street" or many other famous classic recordings done with the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio, recording legends like Led Zeppelin, Frank Zappa, The Who, etc., recording in much more obscure and weird places than garages.

Hey, nothing wrong with Foo Fighters, but I find it silly to call this "garage" recording and ascribing something special to this. This is NOT DIY.

This is just setting up a high end remote studio in your own place. Which has been done before many times. Good for them to re-invent it. Hey, nothing new these days either...

To joke some more - Foo Fighters might record in a garage, but Pink Floyd recorded on a BOAT! How DIY is that!!

edit - but I am sure Kurt would be happy to see them doing that garage tour and returning to roots in a way. I am still sorry that I was too young to catch un-famous Nirvana when they were performing in a local club as still only a "garage band" on DIY tour in Europe. But probably they more or less sucked like most young bands at that stage in development, anyway.
I agree with everything you say, except Nirvana sucking at that age.

If anything they were electric in a way most bands never really get to experience. They were the right combination of a lot of great things.

They ****ing ruled. And that's why they blew up. Not many bands are like that. The Beatles. REM. U2....Led Zepplin.

I much prefer The Ramones and The Pixies...but there was something straight up undeniably great about Nirvana. It was carefee in how it poked holes in things like mortality, American values and modern society.

Now the Foo Fighters...they're just entertainers. Damn good at it. And Dave somehow manages to write a couple fantastic songs for every album of just OK that he makes. But he's not a bad songwriter with that kind of batting average. He's just not what Kurt was.

Also Alan Moulder is the unsung here on Wasting Light. You immediately hear his fingerprints sonically and I think he's the best thing about the album.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search