Dave Grohl on the Grammys just said...
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubba View Post
That's NOT his speech..that's his backtracking on his speech...you know...the one in front of millions of people where he suggested that "kids should record in their garages"

When is it gonna be cool again to suggest that "kids" spend $1500 dollars a day and record in a place that is built for recording? How about someone show some balls and say that then?

Pandering to the home recording industry isn't helping...and Dave Grohl is so behind the times when it comes to what kids are actually doing...just in case Dave didn't remember, i'll refresh his memory and everyone esles...the folks buying his music are not generally under 30 years old...just saying'

The amount of time wasted while recording talking about gear is mind blowing...I seem to have to have full on knowledge about every dang U47 clone and the various colored preamps...and of course every piece of 500 series nonsense...and be willing to discuss it with the smartass Bass Player who has a Tg2 and nuendo in his basement...and of course thinks that he should be recording the record...every band has one of "those guys" these days...can we stop encouraging "those guys" to talk about every piece of gear that the studio does't have?..."my buddy has a Phoenix...Dave Grohl uses an API 1608....dude from Stun The Frumblebuck uses a MOTU... You don't have vocal rider? how can you mix vocals."...BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

What's wrong with some 87s, 414s ,57s and some 1073s ...is there something that can't be recorded with that ?...with some good comps and the plugs we have available these days with a good engineer driving the ship, that should be plenty...

Oh right...now we need a garage to make it "real"...Oh I see...well maybe Dave can get Kush Audio to design him a "Garagaphonic" plug.

Am I really the only one that sees the hippopotamus here??

Just to clarify...it's THE HOME RECORDING INDUSTRY that is ruining the process of keeping it "real" and filling kids heads with unimportant nonsense...exactly opposite to what DAVE said, but completely in line with what his sentiment was.

Dave may have had a couple too many pops and inadvertently slammed the "real" studio business...but he still did it.
Sorry you feel that way. There is plenty of blame to go around. Bands are trying to promote themselves more and more- who can blame them..? Dont blame Dave Grohl. Was it a gimmick...? I dont know- dont really care.
He didnt crack pro tools and nuendo. He isnt telling kids to either..

"Home studio" encompasses a huge range these days..

Would I like to see the end of cracked software and more ownership on the quality of music and doing it right..

Absolutely....

But a great album doesnt need to be recorded in a 1500 a day studio either

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyder boy View Post
These old farts have to hang on to the past, out with the old and in with the new.
....or "out with the great and in with the commercially hyped mediocre".
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubba View Post
...sure that's Dave trying minimize the negative fallout..why do you think there is negative fallout...

because he said some REALLY stupid things
He said some really truthful things. It's like he pointed out that a plastic surgery enhanced babe (I'm talking massive overhaul here) will never outshine the natural beauty of someone like Selma Hayak.

Duhhh.

Nobody working in fake wants to here it.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
you know I'm a fan of good original hard rock/rock/metal music. And if all we have representing the masses is the foo fighters... that's is a sad state of affairs.
It's 2012. (near the end of creativity).
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola View Post
Woah now. What do you mean by "younger"? Younger than 40, yeah I am. Younger than 30, no I'm not.
That's right. You whippersnappers talk like yer runn'in around with wedgies all the time.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah that's the powermetal album from 88, great CD. more like Judas priest than Pantera still great though

anyhoo doesn't change the fact that Dave is a sellout he name drops Lemmy and Rollins just to sound cool
but deep down he is more Jerry Rafferty than he is cool rock star like he portrays

All I can say is extreme modern metal is all due to pantera plus they were cool. Atleast they had long hair and washed it

Dave looks like he hasn't showered since the grammy awards where the Nrivaina bass player bonked his head with his bass
pure entertainment.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
SNIP....

since the grammy awards where the Nrivaina bass player bonked his head with his bass
That was the most bizarre thing I ever saw on the grammies, and for me, summed Nirvana up in one stupid act.

They were just one stupid act.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post
Heavy, heavy-ish rock, and metal are all ignorantly lumped into the same category. The Grammys doesn't care much for these genres anymore....there is just too little money left in these genres for them to consider it as a worthy genre.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Wasting Light. 2 good songs on it, the rest is filler. One by one was their last good album imho. Some great songs since, but Echoes and In Your Honour were only worth it for the pretender, and best of you. Its just become formulaic with them and to me a lot of their stuff sounds the same. Great band, still capable of writing killer tunes, but mostly filler.

Now, last year imho wasnt the best year for heavy music. Sure there were some quality releases, but they were few and far between. FF are popular and mainstream enough that people know them and WL sold bucket loads of albums that to give it to them was the only choice.....even if it is a bit like wining a 1 horse race.

Personally, I'd have given it to Dream Theatre, but I dont think
that was ever going to happen with a run-o-the-mill, almost McDonalds band like the FF in there.

Oh and for the record, I used to be a massive FF fan years ago. I still listen to them and like them, but they just aren't what they used to be imho.
Filler is the new (killer) thriller.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyder boy View Post
Brilliant, I guess that means you have nothing worth saying. Or writing, as is music I mean. Why don't all you self proclaimed "better writers/musicians show us the goods. Put up or shut up!
MotorCity Boys need ta chill. Shut up Foo ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dISKvZetkQI
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
Yep.
Totally.

Melodyne won a tech Grammy, no shit.
Shoulda had a robot accept it.
A robot did accept it.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
He mentioned gear...

he mentioned the room, (some) microphones, a tape machine, a computer, and instruments...

Can't believe anyone still cares though...
This is what he said-

"This is a great honor, because this record was a special record for our band. Rather than go to the best studio in the world down the street in Hollywood and rather than use all of the fanciest computers that money can buy, we made this one in my garage with some microphones and a tape machine…"

He mentioned the studio's,that is the crux.And he failed to mention the same gear thats in the studio is in the house also.If you go to Music Row in Nashville it's all houses.None of the internet accounts of his Grammy speech post this paragraph,only the 2 after.Media bias and being politically correct at it's finest,DG and industry butt kissers.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
If what's quoted above is all he said in that speech, then I don't see the slightest stupid thing about it.
It wasn't.See above.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

And they did glorify Butch Vig for it.So he should be getting a lot of calls to show up at peoples houses with a 24 track and some mics to record then right?
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman View Post
This is what he said-

"This is a great honor, because this record was a special record for our band. Rather than go to the best studio in the world down the street in Hollywood and rather than use all of the fanciest computers that money can buy, we made this one in my garage with some microphones and a tape machine…
"

He mentioned the studio's,that is the crux.And he failed to mention the same gear thats in the studio is in the house also. If you go to Music Row in Nashville it's all houses.None of the internet accounts of his Grammy speech post this paragraph,only the 2 after.Media bias and being politically correct at it's finest,DG and industry butt kissers.
Actually, not all studios have an API, these days is digital control surfaces and HD systems. The newer the studio the more it is designed to disguise a complete lack of musicianship on the part of "talent" = more digital and also cheaper than an API.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
But a great album doesnt need to be recorded in a 1500 a day studio either
It has a much greater chance and in the long run allows you to focus on your craft.If bands had budgets it would not be an issue.Why they don't get paid and why they can't pay you is the issue.People with studios in Hollywood can thank DG now because more bands will want to track to tape without autotune.So don't buy that new PT rig after all.Get that 2" back in operation.
Hey maybe Sony,Studer and Ampex,will start making 2" machines again.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, not all studios have an API, these days is digital control surfaces and HD systems. The newer the studio the more it is designed to disguise a complete lack of musicianship on the part of "talent" = more digital and also cheaper than an API.
Read it again amigo,it say's "rather than go to the best studio in the world down the street in hollywood..."

That has nothing to do with computers.The next line does.DG=Idiot.(Period)

He might have well just said hey all you studio owner's (Oceanway)F you.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

Just listened to a few tracks from that album, ummmmm . . . Songs good? Yeah i guess. The mix? Am i the only one who hears the most irritating guitar sound ever on this record? Sorry, but this sounds like shit to me. so yeah i can believe it was done in his garage
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
He said some really truthful things. It's like he pointed out that a plastic surgery enhanced babe (I'm talking massive overhaul here) will never outshine the natural beauty of someone like Selma Hayak.

Duhhh.

How do you know Selma Hayak is all natural?

No surgery? No make-up? No air-brushing or Photoshopping?

I find that hard to believe....
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post

Duhhh.

DG is in the fake business...trying twist shit up makin it sound like the rest of aren't in the "real" business...we are...that's the problem

Quote:

Have to disagree somewhat Memph...lots of guys are insisting on good performance on the floor..and getting it ...the nightmare of wading through heaps playlists is a headache that some are reusing to do...for the betterment of the project...3 vocal takes with punches is it over here...punch till we keep..I don't exist to comp ...I'll do a reasonable amount...oh that is with a ProTools rig..

Quote:
Read it again amigo,it say's "rather than go to the best studio in the world down the street in hollywood..."

He did say that...for whatever unknown reason...and he's hearing about it here...I don't know the situation personally, but I'm sure that every studio he's walked into was real happy to have him and worked real hard to please him...there was absolutely no reason for him to lip off about studio owners like that. he already achieved the benefit of his embellished recording story...which everyone has to do...again why kick guys who work hard to make rock an roll in the nuts ????
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
I'm not sure he bashed anyone or anything. But he pointed something out that is actually true. It doesn't really matter what gear you use if you're into the music first and foremost. Of course we all like API, Neve, SSL, Universal Audio, Pultec Manley, GML, and I'm sure Dave likes them better than Mackie, Behringer or Phonic... Oh wait ! That's what he's got in his garage studio rack... So tools are important and he never said they weren't either. But as with anything, it's more about who's using the gear than the gear in use. What he said was to practice hard, get your shit together and not to worry too much about where you record the stuff as long as you can do it in a great way ! Truth is, and we all know that from experience, that a great recording can be done in most any location as long as you deal with the shortcomings of said location, and know what you are doing. And that's what I heard in his speech. Not someone giving the finger to the recording industry, but someone telling kids that they shouldn't look into buying gear or studio time to fix what can be fixed at the musician level. And yes, selling out Wembley Stadium as a rock band in 2008 makes that band relevant, like it or not. Do I like the Foo Fighters as a band ? Sure. They're a good band. Do I hear the same level of durability in them as in Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Queen or other bands of that caliber ? Not from every song, but some songs do have something much above average about them... I guess time will tell, but I'm sure the band will be around for a good few more years.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Banned

DUDE!....THIS!!...EVERBODY...THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

stop pretending he didn't say THIS!

Quote:

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

He said making music is king not the bible gum, auto tuned, cut and beat detectived crap that were used to ingesting from the top 40 radio (excluding Adele ). DG is an asset to us all including studios that have a tape machine and analog board
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Quote:
DUDE!....THIS!!...EVERBODY...THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

stop pretending he didn't say THIS!
yeah.... so..... ??

he said "rather than going to a nice studio, with a bunch of nice gear...". But what he says before that is more important IMHO... "It was the most fun we had recording an album"... He then goes on about the human element, not trying to get everything perfect but to get things that live and breath of human feel... So half a sentence, not specifically directed towards anyone, stirs up a shit storm of biblical magnitude ? Funny if you ask me...
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Banned

I can't believe people are having a difficult time understanding what Grohl meant and have a problem with it in any way...

Does it really make any actual difference to anyone...?

I can't imagine...

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is what he said-

"This is a great honor, because this record was a special record for our band. Rather than go to the best studio in the world down the street in Hollywood and rather than use all of the fanciest computers that money can buy, we made this one in my garage with some microphones and a tape machine…"

He mentioned the studio's,that is the crux.
Why did you cut your quote off where you did? I imagine it was because the next thing he said was "It shows the human element of making music is what’s most important", which kind of disproves your claim that him "mentioning" the studios was the crux. The crux is the human element.

Quote:
That would include himself, right? Because wasn't the studio he started working in one that he has an ownership in?

Quote:
I don't know the situation personally, but I'm sure that every studio he's walked into was real happy to have him and worked real hard to please him...there was absolutely no reason for him to lip off about studio owners like that.
Where did he even mention studio owners?

And as a studio owner, do you think that the gear you have is more important than the human element when it comes to making good music?
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss View Post
... the bible gum
ROTFLMAO!!

Bible Gum. So much better than Bubble Gum. Share with your church group today!

Thank you for that. Typos can sometimes be wonderful things.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure that whatever DG said at the Grammys won't affect a thing. I'd bet quite a lot that nobody who was about to go into a huge dollar studio to do a project did an about face because of a random DG comment.

Some issues tend to get amplified and ultra focused here. The guy does not have that kind of power over artists in general, and his comments were largely forgotten one minute after they fell from his mouth, outside of strongholds of industry opinion such as GS. People just have so many other, more immediate things to think about, like $5 gas.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
I can't believe people are having a difficult time understanding what Grohl meant and have a problem with it in any way...
everyone knows what the meant but it's like an a person who is illiterate complaining about the font not being large enough.

Dave has no right to complain about anything. He is part of the reason music is so cut and pasted and auto-tuned and processed. His late 90s records wrote the wrote the book on the subject.

If credible artists like the stones or the Black Crowes AC/DC or even Jack White came out against autotune and beat detective they at least would make the argument believable. Dave's later solo stuff was always watered down overproduced over processed over pro tooled so he has no right to condemn the process.

You look at the bands like AC/DC and The stones who have recorded more
records than almost anyone and they did it all primary live in the studio . It's shite-kicking rock and roll...Dave on the other had has kicked the shite out of rock and roll and had no right to be the spokesman for it

The NRA had a bass$$ spokesman in the name of Charlton Heston, Well Rock and Roll we need Angus or Malcom, Lemmy or even Slash to fly the flag and comment on the recording of pure rock and roll. We don't need a drummer turned gtr player telling us lies and how we should do what we do. First order of business you have to be able to sing in tune and be noted as a rock gr god which Dave is neither so he's out...he doesn't qualify

I vote for for Jimmy Page he has rocked since 1965 and can produce and he is a gentleman. We need him to represent rock not wannabe dave
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
Why did you cut your quote off where you did? I imagine it was because the next thing he said was "It shows the human element of making music is what’s most important", which...balh blah

That would include himself, right? Because wasn't the studio he started working in one that he has an ownership in?

Where did he even mention studio owners?

And as a studio owner, do you think that the gear you have is more important than the human element when it comes to making good music?
Dude...he owns two personal studios and a crap load of gear...all that is private...he does not have a stake in any commercial studio...obviously...

and no I don't think the gear is more important than the talent...I think it's ALL important including the gear.

Quote:

Dave has no right to complain about anything. He is part of the reason music is so cut and pasted and auto-tuned and processed. His late 90s records wrote the wrote the book on the subject.

Bingo!!! we have a winner!!!....how many pages of nonsense yet this is the first time anyone has agreed with this.

This is THE CRUX OF THE MATTER

You guys whining about "playing your instruments"...boo hoo...a lot of us have been doing that for decades and recording that way forever and a LOT of KIDS are rocking pretty hard out there...

Dave telling us this stuff is like Grandma telling you to look both ways before you cross the road...

Its sweet of you to care Dave, but while you were busy with your head up your butt, we were busy rocking out...but somehow you've now blamed us for the what plagues music...guess what? F that
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search