Dave Grohl on the Grammys just said...
#31
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #31
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyukiguki View Post
The Foo Fighters latest album was recorded in his garage with a tape machine and a few microphones... I hate to sound cynical, but really...? I'd like to know the WHOLE story to that.
I would hardly call it a garage studio have you seen it?
anyway foofighters are pathetically dated now. It's like when Jethro Tull won
a grammy in 1988 or whatever 15 years after they were good
#32
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
I would hardly call it a garage studio have you seen it?
anyway foofighters are pathetically dated now. It's like when Jethro Tull won
a grammy in 1988 or whatever 15 years after they were good
Really? Have you heard all of Wasting Light?
#33
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #33
Gear nut
 
Loflyinjett's Avatar
 

Opinions are great ... For folks my age (22). The Foo's are the last good rock band of our generation still cranking out good tunes.

Sent from my PG06100 using Gearslutz.com
#34
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Space Station's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Check the foo fighters movie for the "garage" studio!!! Heh. But like calling Abbey road a "school gym".
Exactly..the building space, plus equipment, plus Butch Vig/Alan Moulder + engineers..how much would that little lot have totalled?
#35
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Well, if THAT's a garage, than wth am I calling my living room a studio?

If they would sell all that gear, it would give a whole new meaning to "garage sell"

This is a freakin' high end studio by my standards, that just happen to be installed in "garage"... well, obviously they were not going for big room drum sound... but the rest doesn't require much different ambient IMO... they also treated the space where they recorded the vocals and guitars... so what's the big deal? They just installed a high end studio at his place. A lot of bands did that before.

I see no statement about "talent vs gear" in this situation. There was all the sweetest gear any rocker could ever want there...
Ya, the charade of saying it was a garage studio is sort of played out, but still, ...props to FF.. and B Vig.
#36
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #36
Lives for gear
 
mexicola's Avatar
 

man, you folks really know how to take the piss out of a genuinely great moment

there's very few, if any, people at that level in the music world that are more genuine, honest, and deserving of what they have than dave grohl. the dude spent the 80's in the DC underground punk scene...that's as raw as it gets. yeah, now he's got an API1608 with the 16 channel expansion, two 24 track machines, racks of killer gear...but if you sold out wembley stadium are you telling me you wouldn't stock your home studio with the same stuff??!!!

it's the diy mentality here that's important, not the specific gear. you whiners can't see the forest for the trees.

i don't particularly like the foos, but i have tons of respect for dave grohl because he is actually a musician that spends pretty much all his time making great music with lots of different people and lots of different bands. them crooked vultures is probably the best band he's been in, and is my favorite record of the last couple years.
#37
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #37
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola View Post
man, you folks really know how to take the piss out of a genuinely great moment

there's very few, if any, people at that level in the music world that are more genuine, honest, and deserving of what they have than dave grohl. the dude spent the 80's in the DC underground punk scene...that's as raw as it gets. yeah, now he's got an API1608 with the 16 channel expansion, two 24 track machines, racks of killer gear...but if you sold out wembley stadium are you telling me you wouldn't stock your home studio with the same stuff??!!!

it's the diy mentality here that's important, not the specific gear. you whiners can't see the forest for the trees.

i don't particularly like the foos, but i have tons of respect for dave grohl because he is actually a musician that spends pretty much all his time making great music with lots of different people and lots of different bands. them crooked vultures is probably the best band he's been in, and is my favorite record of the last couple years.

nobody's whining. Nobody's hating. Just to call it some kind of "home recording achievement" is a far stretch!! His garage is an excellent studio!! That's about the size of it....
#38
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #38
Lives for gear
 
mexicola's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
nobody's whining. Nobody's hating. Just to call it some kind of "home recording achievement" is a far stretch!! His garage is an excellent studio!! That's about the size of it....
i guess i just don't really see how it's a stretch. he built a studio in his home, and made a record with his buddies. the only way it's different than any other home studio is that he's rich and has nice gear...so what! the DIY mentality is still the same as anyone else who has a studio in their own house.

my point is, it's not about the specific tools he used...which is what everyone is focusing on. and it just sounds like gear envy to me.
#39
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #39
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
 

If you get away from the "garage" statement - the important statement the guy made was "put away the computers".

You can't hum the console - you can't hum the tape machines -- what you have on that album is guys playing, playing well, and good songs. You can do that at home.

Tom Scholtz did it in his basement in the mid-70's with a Scully 12 track machine [hardly genius by any stretch of the imagination] and an old Electrodyne console [which at the time wasn't "vintage" -- it was a cast off], a few microphones and a couple of compressors. What he also did was take a bunch of time with some good players and crafted the product he heard in his head.

If I'm not mistaken [which as we all know - I could be] Grohl was talking about putting away the concept of Melodyne, Amp Farm, Elastic Audio, Drumagog, grids and endless "editing" in DAW's... what it seemed he was talking about was getting some good musicians together then taking the time to get performances. What he was talking about was "making music from the heart" as opposed to "making things perfect".

Butch Vig doesn't have a magic wand... what he has is a great sense of "quality control", an ear for getting layers to work and I would guess the ability to get the musicians into a comfort zone where they put together excellent performances. You can do this at home... all you need is talent, some tools [and yeah - excellent tools make the job easier... but that goes for anything -- you can still do the job with average to modest tools... but it helps if you're a skilled and well trained mechanic].

I thought his line about the "big Hollywood studios down the street" was a bit out of line, but I suppose that lends itself to his "indie cred" [as proclaimed by Jack Black].
#40
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #40
Banned
 

Naive Question : What about the number of tracks ? It seems that the digital temptation is to often push 150, with a myriad of effects, creating a sheen. Do the Foo Fighters song tracks mirror the 1970's approach, meaning, the lower # of tracks = more sonic weight/density per track ?
#41
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #41
Manic Modulator
 
Red Black's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeretoneAudio View Post


Its as loud as the standard set by the last couple of foo fighters records... Which is loud as fak...... Its smashed

Foo Fighters on Dynamic Range Database

Hmmm, does seem pretty loud . . . wouldn't mind hearing the 'official vinyl MP3 rips' :]
#42
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #42
Ion wrangler
 
brill bedroom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
t?
anyway foofighters are pathetically dated now. It's like when Jethro Tull won
a grammy in 1988 or whatever 15 years after they were good
Very different, actually. Jethro Tull were not at the peak of their career when they won the Grammy, Foo Fighters are probably the biggest guitar band in the world right now (that isn't U-2). Not talking about taste- they aren't my thing, really- talking about cultural impact. For better or worse, they are the only rock band that plays guitars that is huge in mainstream music.
#43
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #43
Gear nut
 
Loflyinjett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
Foo Fighters on Dynamic Range Database

Hmmm, does seem pretty loud . . . wouldn't mind hearing the 'official vinyl MP3 rips' :]


I'm not sure about how to officially measure them but here is the official rip of White Limo in Audacity, It looks rather reasonable to me compared to other stuff I've seen lately. I don't have the CD to compare as I only purchased the vinyl version.
#44
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #44
Lives for gear
 
sonic dogg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
If you get away from the "garage" statement - the important statement the guy made was "put away the computers".

You can't hum the console - you can't hum the tape machines -- what you have on that album is guys playing, playing well, and good songs. You can do that at home.

Tom Scholtz did it in his basement in the mid-70's with a Scully 12 track machine [hardly genius by any stretch of the imagination] and an old Electrodyne console [which at the time wasn't "vintage" -- it was a cast off], a few microphones and a couple of compressors. What he also did was take a bunch of time with some good players and crafted the product he heard in his head.

If I'm not mistaken [which as we all know - I could be] Grohl was talking about putting away the concept of Melodyne, Amp Farm, Elastic Audio, Drumagog, grids and endless "editing" in DAW's... what it seemed he was talking about was getting some good musicians together then taking the time to get performances. What he was talking about was "making music from the heart" as opposed to "making things perfect".

Butch Vig doesn't have a magic wand... what he has is a great sense of "quality control", an ear for getting layers to work and I would guess the ability to get the musicians into a comfort zone where they put together excellent performances. You can do this at home... all you need is talent, some tools [and yeah - excellent tools make the job easier... but that goes for anything -- you can still do the job with average to modest tools... but it helps if you're a skilled and well trained mechanic].

I thought his line about the "big Hollywood studios down the street" was a bit out of line, but I suppose that lends itself to his "indie cred" [as proclaimed by Jack Black].
Exactly.


I am simply amazed by the large number of nay-sayers here on a site that should be shouting Kudos for someone saying what we all wish was true.

Recording engineers shouldnt be the ones lauding the use of digital editing suites as opposed to the real art of placing mics in a room, aligning tape decks, getting proper gain-staging and letting it rip!

And thats what Mr. Grohl was talking about. We should be applauding this effort. Its gonna save this industry in its most basic form. People getting back to making records that have realism and heart ...not perfected slices of semi-talent propped up to sell copies.

I've seen a LOT of home studios as well equipped as Daves. Mines not and some of yours might not be either, but its not a far cry from semi decent rooms everywhere. No automation. The movie explains it all. I would also say that this record is 'crunched' rather than 'crushed', and it sounds REAL to my ears. It sounds like 2" sliding over the heads and a board (API btw) that has body and depth.

Someone asked how many tracks. He has two 24trk Studers. Most of the big rooms do also. Most dont get used much. Too bad. Its the way rock music is supposed to sound.

Finally a recording not relegated to a typewriter. HOORah
#45
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #45
Lives for gear
 
sonic dogg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola View Post
man, you folks really know how to take the piss out of a genuinely great moment

there's very few, if any, people at that level in the music world that are more genuine, honest, and deserving of what they have than dave grohl. the dude spent the 80's in the DC underground punk scene...that's as raw as it gets. yeah, now he's got an API1608 with the 16 channel expansion, two 24 track machines, racks of killer gear...but if you sold out wembley stadium are you telling me you wouldn't stock your home studio with the same stuff??!!!

it's the diy mentality here that's important, not the specific gear. you whiners can't see the forest for the trees.

i don't particularly like the foos, but i have tons of respect for dave grohl because he is actually a musician that spends pretty much all his time making great music with lots of different people and lots of different bands. them crooked vultures is probably the best band he's been in, and is my favorite record of the last couple years.

Perfect!
#46
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #46
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Really? Have you heard all of Wasting Light?
It's good, I like the production, but a grammy? why not give poison a grammy for their new record? or Van Halen those are about about as fresh and original as the foofighters.

I like Dave growl but his music on the grand scale is dated and cliche..... it's over. The more grammys he wins the longer people will think they should like him. We need some new blood in the spotlight. Why not give mastodon a grammy or someone original? Dave Grwol is about as cool as Leif Garret and about as original as Creed. Lyrically it's so boring. He was a great drummer. he is not a good gtr player. He is sloppy and uninspiring. His vocals are bad too. I just don't get it. I actually liked his first record alot. But after such epic lyrical content as Monkey Wrench and Learn to Fly, I can't take it anylonger. high school kids write songs like him.

We all know a grammy doesn't mean anything just as milli vanilli but it brings unnecessary attention to cheezy music such as the foofighters. It's the same song over and over and over. It's just so contrived an corporate rockish,. It's pathetically bad. What's next the rock and roll hall of fame? why not? Blondie and Springsteen are in there
#47
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #47
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brill bedroom View Post
Very different, actually. Jethro Tull were not at the peak of their career when they won the Grammy, Foo Fighters are probably the biggest guitar band in the world right now (that isn't U-2). Not talking about taste- they aren't my thing, really- talking about cultural impact. For better or worse, they are the only rock band that plays guitars that is huge in mainstream music.
but in reality they are lame
#48
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #48
Lives for gear
 
krheatman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic dogg View Post

Finally a recording not relegated to a typewriter. HOORah
It still hits digital eventually.All recordings are analog to digital.The fact that they did it in a garage or live somewhere means diddly.Its all hype.Unless you are listening to them on tape or vinyl,gimme a break.There are tons of bands still recording to tape.

What they are getting at is the electronica generation that is replacing them.20 years ago it was the same thing with sampled stuff live.Same stuff,different era.
#49
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #49
Gear addict
I get it and applaud DG. Recording engineers are artists too, and have to let the piece go when it's done - the problem with digital is the temptation to never be done.

My Uncle was a painter and sculptor. I learned from him that the vision you have for a piece changes if you take a break and "sleep on it". Trying to take what you captured of the previous vision and make it work with the new one destroys them both.

Capture what you hear NOW shape it according to the sound in your head and what your ears tell you in a single session. If you listen to it tomorrow and have a new sound in your head make a new piece, don't f with the old one.
#50
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Pschelfh's Avatar
Great, on belgian tv they translated 'tape machine' with 'cassette recorder'.

Peter.
#51
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #51
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
home sweet home

#52
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Faderjockey's Avatar
Wow what an idiot!!
This place use to be fun..
#53
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #53
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola View Post
i guess i just don't really see how it's a stretch. he built a studio in his home, and made a record with his buddies. the only way it's different than any other home studio is that he's rich and has nice gear...so what! the DIY mentality is still the same as anyone else who has a studio in their own house.

my point is, it's not about the specific tools he used...which is what everyone is focusing on. and it just sounds like gear envy to me.
well,


He also hired Alan Moulder and Butch Vig....

It's not really DIY mentality is it? He hired the best, bought great stuff in and made a proper record in his house. Like Radiohead did in Jane Seymours house or like Zep did etc etc.... made a proper record on location. Nothing DIY about it!!

Oh - I'm sorry chaps.... computers were used. Check the movie. Not extensively - but they were used. Moderately and with taste....

Finally - don't get what the great "wow" is here.... it'd a rock record made the way the majority of rock records are made (no, not the your teen rockers... I'm talking QOTSA or Black Keys or other like minded souls). Nothing new here!! Foo Fighters made a preparer rock record.... well, haven't they been doing that a fair while? Sounds like a marketing bandwagon!!!!


And gear envy.... is there some here? Not sure. Cuz his excellently equipped studio still aint a candle to mine ahhahahaha
#54
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 

As the owner of an analog studio (though there is a HD2 rig here as well, that rarely gets used) . . obviously I understood his comment as I record bands live to tape daily . . . but his 'garage' comment is getting old as I see him say it all the time. Not like an old Rambler is sitting next to the tape machine. I think his band is ok, but it's getting old to me. I like him as a drummer much more. But the thing I noticed last night watching his band was how much I miss the Ramones *smile*
#55
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #55
Gear maniac
 

My interest piqued by the thread I just listened to the album. I am not much of a rock head so am hardly likely to be overwhelmed but there's nothing on the album that for me even measures up to their own best stuff - maybe it takes a few listens. There are lots of very smart arrangement and production ideas but aren't the songs pretty average? As I say I am not into heavy stuff so maybe I'm missing the nuances that make this grammy worthy.

He is a great drummer though...

Tony
#56
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #56
Lives for gear
 
krheatman's Avatar
 

Poo Fighters
#57
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Faderjockey's Avatar
I love how every one bitches about shit they aren't doing.. If you were Dave and still doing it at his age.. which I think is like mine..
I don't think you'd step down.. He's a super nice guy doesn't act like a rock star at all very down to earth..

Now not dissing The Boss.. I tuned in to hear some products I built.
But why not say Bruce is done and should go away..

Between Nirvana and Foo's Dave has hit the lottery twice.. good for him.
And stayed awesome nice, didn't get a big head..
I like the Foo's I like the first cd and the second I think and a few singles here and there...
I don't think some of the albums in between had all great tunes.. But there was a few I liked.
But this album brings me back to the first..

It's stupid when people say there was better bands in the past... Really? No Shit!!
Of course there was.. So lets freakin pack up and call it quits there was already better bands.. nothing to see here... go home everyone.
#58
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #58
Lives for gear
 
sonic dogg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
Thats a picture of Sound City not his home studio. He does have an interest in Sound City also. The home version is much smaller.
#59
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #59
Lives for gear
 
toneguru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola View Post
man, you folks really know how to take the piss out of a genuinely great moment

there's very few, if any, people at that level in the music world that are more genuine, honest, and deserving of what they have than dave grohl. the dude spent the 80's in the DC underground punk scene...that's as raw as it gets. yeah, now he's got an API1608 with the 16 channel expansion, two 24 track machines, racks of killer gear...but if you sold out wembley stadium are you telling me you wouldn't stock your home studio with the same stuff??!!!

it's the diy mentality here that's important, not the specific gear. you whiners can't see the forest for the trees.

i don't particularly like the foos, but i have tons of respect for dave grohl because he is actually a musician that spends pretty much all his time making great music with lots of different people and lots of different bands. them crooked vultures is probably the best band he's been in, and is my favorite record of the last couple years.
Finally, from the land of bitter, whining pissers comes an intelligent voice.
#60
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #60
Gear addict
 

I honestly think the song writing on this record stinks. The record is super smashed insanely grid aligned.

The high end is ridiculous and the guitars sound like plugins.

If it was tracked through Tape and Dave's API, it was clearly edited to all snot and back.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
poncival / High end
14
AMIEL / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
154
Waylon / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
4
gamrecords / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
47
Inky Goddess / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
33

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.