Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Whitney said:

"Fame is a very curious game. Perfect strangers call you by name. I don't know what transpires from making a record to 'I know you.' "
A disingenuous remark. Wanting your cake and eating it. Maintaining fame takes time, money, effort, and constant PR. All she had to do was stop feeding the machine. The machine will move on to the next target in about 2 seconds.

But then she's not the first celebrity who wanted simultaneous fame and privacy. Seems like a common complaint.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
But then she's not the first celebrity who wanted simultaneous fame and privacy. Seems like a common complaint.
Do you mean that celebrities aren't allowed to voice that they have hard time? They don't deserve compassion because they are famous? That's odd.

I have a friend whom everyone in Denmark knows, I tell you, it's actually not always fun being him. He can't shop for groceries without being confronted all the time! For me, it's been a bit of an eyeopener (it's quite insane), and you could say the fault is with people who don't understand that celebrities are also normal people who also have a personal sphere/space of intimacy they like to keep intact.

People don't respect that. Not of ill-will, but because people are egotistical and thoughtless, and obviously starstruck.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Do you mean that celebrities aren't allowed to voice that they have hard time? They don't deserve compassion because they are famous? That's odd.

I have a friend whom everyone in Denmark knows, I tell you, it's actually not always fun being him. He can't shop for groceries without being confronted all the time! For me, it's been a bit of an eyeopener (it's quite insane), and you could say the fault is with people who don't understand that celebrities are also normal people who also have a personal sphere/space of intimacy they like to keep intact.

People don't respect that. Not of ill-will, but because people are egotistical and thoughtless, and obviously starstruck.
Celebs can voice anything they choose, and I can opinionate on those voicings.

Fame is rarely if ever, thrust upon a person. It's a choice one makes, hard won, pursued and coveted by the person who eventually gets it. And public attention is the very definition of fame. Nurturing and handling attention is part of the job. An honor, not a burden.

I've also been around celebs-a-plenty in my life. Generally, the average celeb's biggest fear is that they will walk into a store and NOBODY will notice. NO paparazzi waiting outside the restaurant.

Almost any famous person can become non-famous through inactivity. Stop feeding the machine. It will ignore you in very short order, public will lose interest, and you'll fall off the radar. Go live your life in blissful obscurity. Once in a while you'll hear, "Hey, didn't you used to be...."

People are not egotistical and thoughtless. Fame is something so desirable, that the general public makes fools of themselves just trying to touch it for one second. Any person who develops and controls that immense power should understand it for what it is and respect it.

Anyway, RIP Whitney Houston.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
We are ALL the potential victim of the pharmaceutical drug industry, even if we never touch any of their poisons.
Their "poisons" have been keeping me on two feet for quite some time. I think you're going a little over the edge there buddy...
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Banned

I heard she blew $100 million on drugs. And I thought my bathroom was dirty...

Whitney's bathroom
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Their "poisons" have been keeping me on two feet for quite some time. I think you're going a little over the edge there buddy...
Yeah, double edge sword. My mother and father in law would have been dead many years ago, if not for the drug industry. As it is, they are not only alive, but enjoying life.
Like people railing against vaccines. Take em all away, and watch what happens.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
A disingenuous remark. Wanting your cake and eating it. Maintaining fame takes time, money, effort, and constant PR. All she had to do was stop feeding the machine. The machine will move on to the next target in about 2 seconds.

I think this is true if you reached a mild level of celebrity status. Think the Baldwin brothers. For the most part, they can walk into a mall and for the most part be left alone. They can walk away from the business and be left alone. I think no matter what, Paul McCartney will always be a target for people. Same for Madonna, Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt, Angelina... they are simply to popular to walk away and not have vultures waiting for them wherever they go.

You do make a great point that celebrities want fame and privacy and that seems to be a contradiction. You cannot have both and thats a problem. Yes, some have been able to have both more than others but for anyone who has reached a certain level of success, you cannot just turn it off & everyone is gone.

I think with WH you had a celebrity who had so many issues in her life off the stage that she was a walking soap opera and easy target for the tabloids.

She had fame, fortune, celebrity husband, controversial marriage & divorce, drug demise, potential comeback, etc... whats not to like if you have to write articles for a mag or blog? She was a mess when the cameras were on or off so she was an easy target.

You don`t need any more gear, you need to re-write the chorus.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

It's sad but the song " The greatest love of all" I think is the title. It talks about learning to love yourself. I have loved that song when I first heard Ronnie Dyson sing it and Whitney had a big hit with it. It's sad I always hoped she would come around. RIP GT.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Guru

People have different gifts, and different demons. End of story.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
I think this is true if you reached a mild level of celebrity status. Think the Baldwin brothers. For the most part, they can walk into a mall and for the most part be left alone. They can walk away from the business and be left alone. I think no matter what, Paul McCartney will always be a target for people. Same for Madonna, Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt, Angelina... they are simply to popular to walk away and not have vultures waiting for them wherever they go.

You do make a great point that celebrities want fame and privacy and that seems to be a contradiction. You cannot have both and thats a problem. Yes, some have been able to have both more than others but for anyone who has reached a certain level of success, you cannot just turn it off & everyone is gone.

I think with WH you had a celebrity who had so many issues in her life off the stage that she was a walking soap opera and easy target for the tabloids.

She had fame, fortune, celebrity husband, controversial marriage & divorce, drug demise, potential comeback, etc... whats not to like if you have to write articles for a mag or blog? She was a mess when the cameras were on or off so she was an easy target.
Yes, it's true that a few top celebs are beyond escaping the light. That's rarefied air, and those few people usually have big security around them and live lives none of us grunts could begin to comprehend. Most of them handle it well it seems, and I guess they wouldn't trade their celebrity for anything on earth.

Everything has it's downsides. Fame is a tad more up-side than down. When a media personality publicly complains about being bothered by fans, it's like slapping the public in the face for accepting that person as someone worthy of fame.

The crap in the press does suck, I'm sure, for those who make their livings in the spotlight. Problem is that many people think any press equals credibility. Most of that crap in the tabs is one-source, unconfirmed, or totally fabricated from one unfortunate photo. That could take a big toll and destroy a person.
It's really sad when someone who stumbles into fame, like some of these reality TV celebs, get jacked in the press and off themselves over it. But that's another dark side of fame.

Anyway, from the little that I've heard of truth, Whitney was a pretty nice gal. Very good to her crew and band, even after she started having issues. Sad when anyone, famous or not, goes down like that so early.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
People have different gifts, and different demons. End of story.
So true. But sometimes the gift and the demon are one and the same.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Banned

Quote:

Not disingenuous at all...she said she wants good press and not lies and tried to figure out a way to deal with the way it actually is...why would a singer or entertainer not want good press? What are they, running for president?

Besides, that's not the point...my posting her quote is aimed at us, the machine as you call it...why are we such obnoxious pigs? Celebrities aren't villains, they are not murderous dictators...they are singers and entertainers who we put up on pedestals and then think we own them and know them and are free to destroy them and shit all over them...for fun? for sport?
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not disingenuous at all...she said she wants good press and not lies and tried to figure out a way to deal with the way it actually is...why would a singer or entertainer not want good press? What are they, running for president?

Besides, that's not the point...my posting her quote is aimed at us, the machine as you call it...why are we such obnoxious pigs? Celebrities aren't villains, they are not murderous dictators...they are singers and entertainers who we put up on pedestals and then think we own them and know them and are free to destroy them and shit all over them...for fun? for sport?
They're not gods either. I don't put them on a pedestal. I don't believe the press. I don't feel sorry for celebrities in particular.

I feel for anyone who allows life's baggage to destroy them, celebrity or not for any reason. As gigs go, celebrity is an easy one. Celebs who begin to believe that they actually deserve the love of millions are the imploders. The happiest celebs I've known are the ones who ignored the press, good and bad, appreciated the public, good and bad, and focused on the work.

Fact is, by a large margin, most celebs handle fame very well and most fans are not obnoxious pigs. The problems of the rich and famous is not a huge social problem that needs addressing.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear interested

15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
For them, it sure can be a huge social problem.

I think you are missing some of the points, I'm sure most of them can deal with a lot of this stuff, but the level of intrusion by the paparazzi and lies being printed about them has really become ridiculous. They have to deal with this as soon as the step out their front door every minute of their lives. I could see where this would be challenging.
Not missing any point. We have different points of view. Mine is well-founded in reality. If yours is also, we've experienced two differing realities. Wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

I'm not saying it's not a challenge. Just saying it's not a social problem worth thinking about, as I define social problem. Marginalized segments of the population being excluded from advancement opportunities is a social problem. People living on the street and crack babies are social problems. Brittany being harassed by a few guys with cameras is not a social problem.
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Banned

Quote:
Not missing any point. We have different points of view. Mine is well-founded in reality. If yours is also, we've experienced two differing realities. Wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

I'm not saying it's not a challenge. Just saying it's not a social problem worth thinking about, as I define social problem. Marginalized segments of the population being excluded from advancement opportunities is a social problem. People living on the street and crack babies are social problems. Brittany being harassed by a few guys with cameras is not a social problem.
I don't know, I think the tabloid mentality affects everything...including politics (look at elections, the smear campaigns and scandals), the news media, and people in general...showing respect for people's privacy or personal problems...we feel it's our right to know every last (true or untrue) sordid detail when it's really none of our business...
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

The issue is not where the drugs came from but why they were needed. What kind of pain needed relief.
In my younger days I remember being coked up all night and drinking to come down after hitting the bong three times in between.
Thing is I quit, I was 25 this woman was 48. Point is it shaves years off your life usually.
Now its all about moderation. A drink occasionally, but never get *trashed.*
I smoke some bud if I have a rough day or even an average one, but don't wake and bake or drive on it.
Part of growing up for me. The celebrity life of partying can slow down this process. Most people can't afford a good connection, either.
I wonder what we would be saying if this were Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, the list goes on...
Ibanez Artcore A85 JazzBox, Ibanez SZR720BB, 1989 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1981 Gibson ES-335, 1986 Fender JapStrat.
Effects:
Roland RE-201 Space Echo, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR Analog Stereo Chorus, Digitech RP-1000 MFX
Amps: Fender HR Deluxe 112, Peavey KB100
Recording:
Zoom HD16 Hardware Recorder, Cubase 5, Yamaha HS50m Monitors
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Banned

Trust C lago to plug a video on a Whitney thread that he created!
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know, I think the tabloid mentality affects everything...including politics (look at elections, the smear campaigns and scandals), the news media, and people in general...showing respect for people's privacy or personal problems...we feel it's our right to know every last (true or untrue) sordid detail when it's really none of our business...
No doubt. The public loves mud, always has. The pyramid builders probably gossiped about Cleopatra's latest lay.

The political press thing was much better until after Kennedy, but that was only since WW2. Before that, muckrakers and yellow journalism flourished. Kennedy would be impeached and impaled today. But it's the politicians themselves driving that these days, not so much the press acting unilaterally.
Den
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Den
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianww View Post
You forgot to add "...is a load of paranoiac claptrap, founded purely on speculation, based solely on hearsay and having no reference to any official statements that have been made thus far by the LAPD or the Coroner".

I think It is time to read something what is called
Secret Covenant
Google this and read the text.
I hope you will
http://www.scribd.com/doc/27859032/The-Secret-Covenant-of-the-Illuminati-Final-Copy
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Whitney was a huge, huge talent, and also a VERY serious drug addict.

So bad, that it became almost impossible for her to work in the studio most times.

My friend was her recording engineer forever. He ran her recording studio in NJ for years. (He was also an SSL rep.)

He said that it got really bad trying to record her for many years. She was constantly running out of the room, sweating, and coming back in with towels to wipe away the sweat. Neurotic, yelling at everyone. Just impossible, many times.

So, this is not to slander Whitney. she had a REAL drug problem, and it affected all aspects of her life.

She was a wonderful talent - huge talent - with a gorgeous voice.

One of my favorite singers of all time. I'll NEVER forget the first time I heard your voice.

I will always think of you like this - RIP, Whitney. You were a true inspiration to so many.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lykj4p86Lxc

Studio Cat i7 + RME UFX + Linkwitz Orions + Tyler Acoustics Linbrooks + Buzz Audio ARC + GT-67 + Sonar + Komplete + Omnisphere-Trilian-Stylus + Symphobia + Mo-Tone Custom Tele
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Gear addict

16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Banned

Yeah, that was sweet, he has "the voice"... and mic technique down.
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
WOW, was not expecting that. That boy is going to be a big star.
Yeah, all we have to do is keep alcohol and drugs away from him
Den
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Den
Lives for gear

Den
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Den
Lives for gear

Watch carefully and read all infos, I knew something was wrong.
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear maniac

2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post

Watch carefully and read all infos, I knew something was wrong.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search