Why No Gearslutz women?
Robbie777
Thread Starter
#1
23rd September 2010
Old 23rd September 2010
  #1
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 492

Thread Starter
Why No Gearslutz women?

What do women realy want? Why dont the ladies want to record and use gear as us men here do...
Robbie777
Thread Starter
#2
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
  #2
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 492

Thread Starter
bump
Deleted User #43636
#3
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
  #3
Deleted User #43636
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

#4
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 2,596

I think they don't want to be referred to as 'slutz...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Robbie777
Thread Starter
#5
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
  #5
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 492

Thread Starter
my thoughts too....LOL yet some like to be called slutz...LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
I think they don't want to be referred to as 'slutz...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Robbie777
Thread Starter
#6
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
  #6
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 492

Thread Starter
#7
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie777 View Post
Nice looking bunch
What does that even mean ?

I did notice an MIT student in there .
So even taking the number into account I suspect the women have the edge in the grey matter stakes (or even cognitive function if you wish :P) .
Robbie777
Thread Starter
#8
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
  #8
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 492

Thread Starter
It means exactly what I said 'Nice looking women"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago View Post
What does that even mean ?

I did notice an MIT student in there .
So even taking the number into account I suspect the women have the edge in the grey matter stakes (or even cognitive function if you wish :P) .
#9
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
  #9
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney via London

Music tech is a geeky kind of thing that really appeals to the male psyche much more than the female way of thinking, genetically. same reason there's fewer female mechanics, aerospace engineers, civil engineers, and so on. Same reason Lego is more boy-focussed...

That said, I know several really good female engineers and assistants. they're just the minority.
1
#10
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Posts: 790

Maybe they already know it all....
#11
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 2,596

They can also hear far better, genetically-speaking.
#12
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
famousbass's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,549

Would you join a club that was called:

"GearRootRatz"

What am I saying? Most of you probably would...!
#13
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #13
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney via London

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Women are vain by nature. There's little outlet for vanity when you're stuck behind a mixing desk.
I'd guess this attitude is one of the reasons there's few GS women...
1
#14
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 2,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I'd guess this attitude is one of the reasons there's few GS women...
Bingo.
1
#15
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 1,570

Nothing wrong with acknowledging reality.

Whenever I want substantive discussion on any subject at all, whether from books or a forum on the web, it seems the source is nearly always a male.

Compare female blogs to male blogs. Females are far more likely to post pictures of themselves and document their outfits and hairstyles.

Look, for example, at something like the streaming of video games. Male players typically have a tiny webcam window down in the bottom right hand corner that takes up maybe 2% of the screen. Female streamers' webcams windows are almost universally larger, and they'll often go full screen on the webcam in between games. For them, the playing of the game is clearly secondary to the attention they draw from their appearance.

Until the occupation of engineering can be oriented to show off a person's appearance and personality, it will not be a popular path for women.

This is not a put down of women. The fact that the sexes are different is a good thing because it makes life interesting and balanced. The irony of feminism is that nothing could be more insulting to women than to say that the only way they can be self respecting individuals is to make them more like men.
1
#16
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
matyas's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 976

While I acknowledge that audio engineering and production is an overwhelmingly male-dominated profession, the fact of the matter is that there are female audio engineers and producers out there, there always have been (Wilma Cozart Fine, anyone?), and their numbers are increasing. The fact that most of them seem not to be on GS is probably an indication of the locker room/sausage party atmosphere that occasionally comes to the surface here.
Beyond the usual range of sexist jokes that get tossed around, I have seen it happen on several occasions that a woman will show up on the thread, and the middle-school boy types start posting awkward pick-up lines or marriage proposals. Someone even tried to hit on the poor TLA rep who used to get sent here for damage control when people dissed her brand. (Disclaimer: I've never used a piece of TLA gear, nor have I met the rep.) That's really inappropriate behavior, and probably deserves an infraction at best.
I'm a man, but I've always been most comfortable in mixed company, and the fact is that in 2013 there shouldn't professionally-oriented sites where a woman would be made to feel uncomfortable.
What would you say if Emily Lazar showed up here (has she ever)? Judith Sherman? Sylvia Massy?
3
#17
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #17
Gear Guru
 
Sqye's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: underground railroad
Posts: 15,609

Thumbs up

.

I owe my love of things technical to three major influences:

+My mother, an electrical engineer at Bell Labs -
the only woman in her graduating class, and professional department in the 1950s.

+My best friend and studio partner, currently an engineer at Google
...who also happens to be married to a brilliant (female) computer scientist

+My dad, a scientist of sorts, and passionate tinkerer


One of my good friends also happens to be partners with Emily Lazar at the Lodge -
I assume most of you know who she is (!)

If not -

The Lodge : : Audio Mastering For Stereo & Surround

Emily Lazar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emily Lazar has worked on over 2,000 albums with such artists as David Bowie, Foo Fighters, Tiesto, The Subways, The Shins, Shiny Toy Guns, Lou Reed, Barbra Streisand, The Raveonettes Björk, Cults, Boy & Bear, Goldfrapp, Moby, Paul McCartney, The Naked and Famous, Garbage, Sonic Youth, Nada Surf, Sinéad O'Connor, Rza, Wu-Tang Clan, Sleigh Bells, Tiesto, ****ed Up, Chromeo, The Raveonettes, Thievery Corporation, Death Cab for Cutie, Depeche Mode, BT, The Velvet Underground, Morgan Page, Madonna (entertainer), Jedi Mind Tricks, John Mayer, Anti-Flag, Third Eye Blind, The Donnas, The All American Rejects, The Prodigy, Morrissey, Vampire Weekend, Destiny's Child, and Vanessa Carlton.



My mom built our first stereo.

She also kept prototypes of the first microchips she helped design and build at Bell Labs.

She was as gearslutty as they come.


As Psycho Monkey says, there are some great female engineers - they're simply in the minority.

In general, I think stereotyping is a bad practice - but stereotypes do exist for a reason.


Anyway, here's to all the amazing women in engineering! Y'all rock our worlds!

JOOC, how many of you (male) engineers have worked on over 2,000 mostly major label albums?

.
#18
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
matyas's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
.
Anyway, here's to all the amazing women in engineering! Y'all rock our worlds!
Here, here!
#19
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Barfunkel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 2,943

In my 36 years on this planet, I've never personally met a woman who's interested in music equipment. Some singers, guitarists, drummers, DJ's, and such, but never a gear enthusiast.

I wonder why? Particularly in electronic music where gender shouldn't matter much as the producer's are so faceless (I got no idea what like 90% of the producers responsible for the records in my collection look like, they could be male, female, dogs, aliens, whatever).
#20
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,080

Just to add upon what Sqye has posted :
Delia Derbyshire .
#21
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 2,596

Definitely some ridiculously talented female producers/engineers. Respect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
#22
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
  #22
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney via London

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Nothing wrong with acknowledging reality.

Whenever I want substantive discussion on any subject at all, whether from books or a forum on the web, it seems the source is nearly always a male.
I suppose what subjects are you looking at? There are female professors in most fields...plenty of female PhD grads in all disciplines. I certainly agree with you that "techy" fields tend to appeal more to the male psyche than the female, but I think male attitudes in many of these fields put off a lot of girls - I think there's quite a lot of truth in the thinking that the girls have to be twice as good to get proper acknowledgement - just being "as good as" the next guy in the field isn't enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Compare female blogs to male blogs. Females are far more likely to post pictures of themselves and document their outfits and hairstyles.
And? I'd imagine there's more female blogs on fashion than anything else...that doesn't make all women vain, just that their creative eye is attracted to the visual more than to the aural. I don't have any issue with people saying men and women have different focuses, just that labelling all women "vain" is fairly insulting. If anything, it's the opposite. Many women are really insecure about SOMETHING in their looks...wanting to look your best and being vain are two very different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Look, for example, at something like the streaming of video games. Male players typically have a tiny webcam window down in the bottom right hand corner that takes up maybe 2% of the screen. Female streamers' webcams windows are almost universally larger, and they'll often go full screen on the webcam in between games. For them, the playing of the game is clearly secondary to the attention they draw from their appearance.
I don't know there...most girls I know aren't interested in online video gaming! that's another "mainly boy" pursuit...actually, I don't really know many gamers at all....but there you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Until the occupation of engineering can be oriented to show off a person's appearance and personality, it will not be a popular path for women.
I would say until the attitudes of the guys in charge will change, it won't be a popular path for women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
This is not a put down of women. The fact that the sexes are different is a good thing because it makes life interesting and balanced. The irony of feminism is that nothing could be more insulting to women than to say that the only way they can be self respecting individuals is to make them more like men.
I agree - I don't think in any way that techy professions like engineering will ever be as popular with the ladies as with us nerdy guys, but for those that do want to follow that sort of path, we should make it easier for them. And labelling all women as "vain" is not the way to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
In my 36 years on this planet, I've never personally met a woman who's interested in music equipment. Some singers, guitarists, drummers, DJ's, and such, but never a gear enthusiast.

I wonder why? Particularly in electronic music where gender shouldn't matter much as the producer's are so faceless (I got no idea what like 90% of the producers responsible for the records in my collection look like, they could be male, female, dogs, aliens, whatever).
I have - I can think of 4-5 female engineers, assistants and producers off the top of my head who're into that sort of thing. Just finished an EP with a girl who does the "one woman band" thing...loop pedals, sample triggers etc - Roland endorsee. I believe KT Tunstall does a similar thing...and is a bit of a tech head. Imogen Heap? she's a pro tools nerd isn't she (and I mean that in a positive way!)? I'm sure there are more...Missy Elliot? I understand anecdotally that she does/did a lot of her own engineering? The Nervo girls? I've not met them (nearly did a session for them once) but I think they do all their own production.

Yes it's rarer - but not unimaginable.
#23
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,496

I'm not really a fan of generalizations and stereotypes, things like the idea that males into gear are all fat and unattractive chauvinists who think of women as sex objects.

So regardless of any of that, that girls only club is interesting:

Gearslutz.com - themainbitch's Album: TMB
#24
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Joe Haze's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 597

Yes, special treatment because you have tits... It happens. LAME
#25
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
ambiguity's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Americas
Posts: 1,115

Did you even read the thread? Because it doesn't seem like you understand what it's about.
#26
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
  #26
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney via London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Haze View Post
Yes, special treatment because you have tits... It happens. LAME
Special treatment for the good..and for the not so good. Does one balance the other out?
#27
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,696

I know someone who runs a popular YouTube audio engineering channel. He says that on the demographic analytics 96% of his viewers are male.

So there you have it. Yes there are some great female engineers out there I'm sure but there are VERY VERY few. Because there are very very few female audio engineers, PERIOD.
Audio X
#28
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
  #28
Audio X
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post

So there you have it. Yes there are some great female engineers out there I'm sure but there are VERY VERY few female audio engineers...
...who want to be associated with the word slut...
#29
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
  #29
Gear Head
 
sonicrevolution's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 52

Don't forget about Linda Perry!
#30
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
  #30
Lives for gear
 
ambiguity's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Americas
Posts: 1,115

I've had two amazing women engineers as mentors in my audio life. One has taught me the basics and the logic of audio that allows me to apply those basics, the other has gotten me into my first internship, studio, and consequently gigs. I am forever grateful to these awesome ladies!

One of them has started the Women's Audio Mission, a non profit dedicated to increasing the number of women in the audio industry. They do outreach, have classes, and a pretty kick ass studio staffed by women engineers. They used to setup the potluck studios at Tape Op Cons, not sure if that's still going on
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
roman manlord / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show & Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
1

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.