No, that is NOT a studio.
The Pressman
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear maniac

No, that is NOT a studio.

An iMac, a Digi 002, no monitoring at all, no outboard, a Behringer mic and a MIDI keyboard in a square untreated room is NOT a "boutique recording facilty."

At all.

Ever.

Okay, rant over.
The Pressman
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear maniac

Oh, and for the record, a MacBook Pro and a $100 MIDI controller in the corner of your bedroom is not a "production suite".

At first I was sure he must of been joking. He wasn't.

11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear maniac

And what do you have?
The Pressman
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear maniac

Hahaha, I was just waiting for that. Touché. Not a lot, admittedly, but more than that and not enough to advertise myself as a "boutique recording facility."
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear addict

I love when someone names themselves _________ Studios (with whatever name they use) and it's just a Studio RTA desk with some all-in-one interface and a PC and a pair of monitors....Studios....yep.
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear maniac

links to website? or something please
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Studio RTA desk with some all-in-one interface and a PC and a pair of monitors....Studio
at least they have monitors. One that get me are the ones that don't even have that much... How are you going to mix anything without a monitors?
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pressman View Post
An iMac, a Digi 002, no monitoring at all, no outboard, a Behringer mic and a MIDI keyboard in a square untreated room is NOT a "boutique recording facilty."

At all.

Ever.

Okay, rant over.
Did they steal your clients? Who cares what they use, just as long as you don't serve your clients with the same lack of gear.
The Pressman
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear maniac

Well, at least a couple of people get where I'm coming from..

No, I can assure you it's nothing personal - no stealing clients or anything like that.

I just dislike the dishonesty of it, of advertising a setup like that as.. "Boutique recording facility", "production suite", "world class mastering service", whatever. Ya'know?

You're right though, who cares what gear they use and I suppose the engineer could be an audio genius. "A great engineer can make a great recording with crappy gear" and all that.

As long as the client comes away with a product they're happy with I guess that's all that matters, I just wonder how many clients get tricked into paying huge amounts of money in studios such as these? Ja'mean?
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener View Post
I care.
Why can't someone moan in the moan zone?

Make excuses for people, like maybe he's using "boutique" in the "one-of-a-kind" sense and not the high end sense. Maybe his particular grade of manure is one-of-a-kind.
Make excuses but don't just shoot someone for whinging... When you do that you turn off a valuable source of holierthanthouite, the mineral consumed when one is being a pretentious and conspicuous stain on the pants of life.
You're weird, the ignore list is my friend in this case.
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Lives for gear

You would be surprised at what a lot of professionals are using from what I am taking your tone as. That doesn't make it a "studio" per say, I mean it is but I can see why people feel it is not. Don't get me wrong, for every 10,000 people with a budget setup, probably 9,999 don't make a thing but there is that 1 person that really can take a GC setup to the limit and make a damn good living off of it. I don't really care to convince but I can say I have seen it.
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
What about this "multi-mullion-dollar" studio? apparently they were "swagger-less" before having their own behringer b2 mics
Deleted User #43636
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Deleted User #43636

Quote:

At all.

Ever.

Okay, rant over.
If there's "no monitoring at all", why should the "square untreated room" be a problem ?
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
You're weird, the ignore list is my friend in this case.
Oh the irony .
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerjesus View Post
What about this "multi-mullion-dollar" studio? apparently they were "swagger-less" before having their own behringer b2 mics
"it dont get better than this"!!
ahahahaHAHA!
i love americans, i watched the hole video

around here we got a someones thats telling everyone how they got a 40 channel recordingstudio.. in a room where you can barely fit a drum set..
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear addict

I have a Digi002r...

But I do agree with the "boutique recording facilty" was a little bit over the top.
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Guitar/Vox of Skyway Ave.

I totally agree with the OP - I'm not a studio, but I've started offering vocal recording/tuning services - I don't charge much and I don't make myself out to be any more than a solution for people who want to get something of remote quality down onto a track - I don't bitch if they bring in an MP3 backing track or whatever, I merely explain the process and how you can get the best quality possible. With the money I make from work and from this side-project, I can start to afford better mics like a U87 (now I've got a decent enough job this mic can finally become a reality for me, been waiting 5+ years for one now) and better pre amps etc.

However, I don't go around saying "multi-million" recording "studio", I record vocals and/or tune them for people who would not be able to afford even the most basic setup. People go away happy if you treat them right and if it sounds good for the price. Truth is, not a lot of gear is needed so much any more for a decent enough sound - 90% of the people I meet love MP3s. Meh, what you gonna do. I suppose as long as we get paid...
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

That video is phenomenal. Sums up just about everything.
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear addict

I really hate it when someone on here tells my story
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeK$ View Post
That video is phenomenal. Sums up just about everything.
That video makes me want to punt a toddler.
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear maniac

You shouldn't knock these people. Is it so hard to let these people believe that their ish isn't s**t?
HYX
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
HYX
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddigger1 View Post
If there's "no monitoring at all", why should the "square untreated room" be a problem ?
HAHA! Funny...but true :D
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, and for the record, a MacBook Pro and a $100 MIDI controller in the corner of your bedroom is not a "production suite".
Just to play devils advocate.... what happens when that person kicks out a multi-million dollar song using only that equipment?? Is it a production suite then..?
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010

Discussion with another "Studio Owner".

Me : i'm looking for a new place to track bands

SO : i've got a really nice studio in town. We've got ProTools, nice pre-amps, a real tiled room reverb, nice mic collection and a great room. You will be good to mix your projets with us.

Me : what console?

SO : Oh, we don't have a console......we have ProTools.

Me : OK so you don't have a studio, you have a DAW next to a tiled bathroom with speakers and mics. Sorry but i'm looking for a real studio.
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777Artin View Post

SO : i've got a really nice studio in town. We've got ProTools, nice pre-amps, a real tiled room reverb, nice mic collection and a great room. You will be good to mix your projets with us.

Me : OK so you don't have a studio, you have a DAW next to a tiled bathroom with speakers and mics. Sorry but i'm looking for a real studio.

You cant fault the guy for trying to get a paying gig! What else did he or didnt he have? Or did you end the convo because of the console or lack there of?
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777Artin View Post

uhhh.... are you sure it was just a bathroom with speakers and mics?? Just because the guy doesn't have a console doesn't say anything about his tracking room or any reverb chambers. I'll bet there are quite a few AMAZING tracking rooms out there that don't have consoles.
The Pressman
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddigger1 View Post
Ahaha, well they were using the built in speakers on the iMac. And it is a problem when you're tracking vocals in there.

Everyone does have to start somewhere, but when it's bordering on false or misleading advertising, that's when there's a problem.
The Pressman
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Just to play devils advocate.... what happens when that person kicks out a multi-million dollar song using only that equipment?? Is it a production suite then..?
What happens? Well hopefully the "producer" will make enough money to upgrade. Really though, I wouldn't be surprised. It's probably already happened. Good for them.
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Did they steal your clients? Who cares what they use, just as long as you don't serve your clients with the same lack of gear.
What I find ironic is that sometimes these bands/home recording places get better sounds or more interesting music than the real "boutique" studios..

it aint about gear or lack of it, or what kind of studio a body has... this is more true than ever before.

I can name scores of albums that are awesome that were recorded on gear that many people here would scoff at....
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago View Post
Oh the irony .
The ignore list is my friend when it comes to you as well

Quote:
Well first of all, he becomes Soulja Boy haha. Then he can afford nice gear

Quote:
uhhh.... are you sure it was just a bathroom with speakers and mics?? Just because the guy doesn't have a console doesn't say anything about his tracking room or any reverb chambers. I'll bet there are quite a few AMAZING tracking rooms out there that don't have consoles.
Hell I don't have a console, and it's really not holding me back. I can say that while I am not at the bottom of the chain here, that I don't have a crazy facility with tons of microphones, pres, compressors etc. But what I do know is that I believe in my talent as a producer, my clients believe in it and when the songs are done, multi-million dollar studio or not, they sound great and are ready to go on the radio. I'm very happy with my studio, it's not too distracting with too much gear, it's just right and gets the job done. Also, I have less hardware because I spend $$$ on great plugins. Something like a Tubetech PE1C, Slate FG-X for Mastering and soon I will rebuy the Cl1b plugin. These things make my workflow so much faster.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search