Idol, again
New Reply
Subscribe
dannygold
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Idol, again

I like how someone just sang a Boxtops song and (get this) NO ONE mentioned that Alex Chilton had just died. That's just shitty and disrespectful.
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Guru

It would not have helped me and I'm no spring chicken, I have no idea who Alex is with all do respect.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cryst...94900103883659
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Head

24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
It would not have helped me and I'm no spring chicken, I have no idea who Alex is with all do respect.
You engineer and make music and dont know who Alex Chilton is?? Absolutely shameful... but you know a lot about what equipment is hot, what is new, I bet.... now man, that is really unfortunate. Of course, all too familiar 'round here.

some folks can tell you ever piece of gear that is made for a 500 series, every serial number of every piece of vintage crap out there.. but dont know dick about the history of the music we make. .that is really, really sad.

without the artists, there would be no music, and these little boxes would be just ugly bits of metal. (well, thats all they are anyway, but you get it )

Alex Chilton --- LEGEND

we have an obligation as musicians to learn about the masters that were ahead of us. to learn about the history of the music we are so invested in creating..

sort of an interesting story..

the first guy I worked for.... he wouldn't let me even touch a broom until I had listened to about 1000 hours of music(that he chose) and read certain books(history/theory/etc).

I wish I had someone like that now.
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold View Post
I like how someone just sang a Boxtops song and (get this) NO ONE mentioned that Alex Chilton had just died. That's just shitty and disrespectful.
What! Goddammit Kara! You're supposed to be the mildly smart one!!!
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
Gear interested

Heh . Happened to catch that performance surfing channels last night. The other sad thing was that Simon was the only one to call it what it was...a mediocre performance. It was like walking into a motel lounge and hearing a lame r&b version of The Letter. Surprised, really, at Randy Jackson's take on it.
How can I ever become a songwriter when I can't decide if it should be "don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy (or drive you crazy)? Oh well, screw it...somebody probably wrote it already.
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010
Gear maniac

Uh I had no idea who Chilton was either until this thread, relax
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010

I'm sure he doesn't mind

matt
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010
Kills for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hughes View Post
Uh I had no idea who Chilton was either until this thread, relax
I'm going with you guys on this one too. I have a really broad and well versed taste in music, but it's egotistical of me to think I know everything that was important to everyone... it just won't ever happen and people throwing attitude towards what they think is lacking in another's education is unfair. People learn better when they're educated and expanded and not talked down to. It's a big world out there with a lot of people in it and I would be surprised if 5% of the population knew Alex Chilton's name. I'm sure he was very important and influencial to a lot of people as I'm sure I will go out and listen to his stuff now. It's too bad AI didn't pay respect to an artist they used, it's that type of obfuscating history that needs to be combated, not just people not getting exposed through the course of life.
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
I'm going with you guys on this one too. I have a really broad and well versed taste in music, but it's egotistical of me to think I know everything that was important to everyone... it just won't ever happen and people throwing attitude towards what they think is lacking in another's education is unfair. People learn better when they're educated and expanded and not talked down to. It's a big world out there with a lot of people in it and I would be surprised if 5% of the population knew Alex Chilton's name. I'm sure he was very important and influencial to a lot of people as I'm sure I will go out and listen to his stuff now. It's too bad AI didn't pay respect to an artist they used, it's that type of obfuscating history that needs to be combated, not just people not getting exposed through the course of life.
I'm not talking down to anyone... what I'm saying is if they're going to play a song made famous by a guy who died a week earlier on national TV it might be nice to mention him. I mean jeez, it was on Cspan it can't be that obscure:

House Session, Part 1 - C-SPAN Video Library
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010
Kills for gear

Quote:
I'm not talking down to anyone... what I'm saying is if they're going to play a song made famous by a guy who died a week earlier on national TV it might be nice to mention him. I mean jeez, it was on Cspan it can't be that obscure:

House Session, Part 1 - C-SPAN Video Library
I didn't really think you were talking down and I agreed that it was quite sad they couldn't acknowledge him in light of the fact that he was obviously important enough to cover, but not important enough to them to mention.
26th March 2010
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=jeremy.c.;5240329 I'm sure I will go out and listen to his stuff now. [/QUOTE]

thats the important thing.

Start with Big Star.

Third Sister/lovers
26th March 2010
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
not even mentioning that the covered version was crappy and weird. I don't get American Idol, but I suck, so.....
26th March 2010
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Guru

Sorry Ted, I cannot know of everyone or everything, no reason to play god. In fact the older I get the less I can remember and have forgot a lot of stuff, myself and my wife have been married 30 years and she brings up stuff way back that I don't even recall.......a......g......e haha.
Holy Shit I am watching the news right now and Jim Marshall Died today, Hell it was Gibson and now Marshall, now we don't have a perfect match, so sad to hear.
Anyways do you know Tuck Andress ?

btw, I did not know Alex but have sung his songs, just did not know his name, box tops hey, great artist. At least they were decent music on the radio to listen to years ago, now I only turn it to talk radio and NPR, I never listen to music radio, whats the use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
You engineer and make music and dont know who Alex Chilton is?? Absolutely shameful... but you know a lot about what equipment is hot, what is new, I bet.... now man, that is really unfortunate. Of course, all too familiar 'round here.

some folks can tell you ever piece of gear that is made for a 500 series, every serial number of every piece of vintage crap out there.. but dont know dick about the history of the music we make. .that is really, really sad.

without the artists, there would be no music, and these little boxes would be just ugly bits of metal. (well, thats all they are anyway, but you get it )

Alex Chilton --- LEGEND

we have an obligation as musicians to learn about the masters that were ahead of us. to learn about the history of the music we are so invested in creating..

sort of an interesting story..

the first guy I worked for.... he wouldn't let me even touch a broom until I had listened to about 1000 hours of music(that he chose) and read certain books(history/theory/etc).

I wish I had someone like that now.
26th March 2010
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry Ted, I cannot know of everyone or everything, no reason to play god. In fact the older I get the less I can remember and have forgot a lot of stuff, myself and my wife have been married 30 years and she brings up stuff way back that I don't even recall.......a......g......e haha.
Holy Shit I am watching the news right now and Jim Marshall Died today, Hell it was Gibson and now Marshall, now we don't have a perfect match, so sad to hear.
Anyways do you know Tuck Andress ?

btw, I did not know Alex but have sung his songs, just did not know his name, box tops hey, great artist. At least they were decent music on the radio to listen to years ago, now I only turn it to talk radio and NPR, I never listen to music radio, whats the use?

man, im not playing GOd..its called taking the piss.

have you ever seen "that 70s show"?
26th March 2010
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Guru

Depends, I have saw many 70s shows, I grew up with them but I had no interest or time in all, just like today shows come and go and 10 years from now I will say "what was that show", O it was on 10 years ago, I might have watched Cheers or Friends twice in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
man, im not playing GOd..its called taking the piss.

have you ever seen "that 70s show"?
26th March 2010
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Depends, I have saw many 70s shows, I grew up with them but I had no interest or time in all, just like today shows come and go and 10 years from now I will say "what was that show", O it was on 10 years ago, I might have watched Cheers twice in my life.
no..."that 70s show"--that is the name of the show

anyway, Big Star song is the theme song(done badly by cheap trick I think?)

anyway, big star is amazing.
31st March 2010
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Guru

The Idol was up and down last night.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search