Login / Register

What's the rudest anyones ever been about your studio?
New Reply
Subscribe
9th December 2009
Old 9th December 2009
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
When I went back in to shut everything down, I found that one of them (the singer or drummer, never found out which) had taken a dump on the floor and rolled my chair around in it.
Y0! for real someone disrespect me like that ... It's over !! dfegad
wreckingstuff
9th December 2009
Old 9th December 2009
wreckingstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonsound View Post

i love the fact that they rolled the chair around in it... as if sh!tting on someone's floor isn't enough.

i can just imagine someone zipping up, stepping back to admire their handiwork, and thinking 'hang on a sec - i know what would really set this off...'
Ha Ha Ha yeah, but would you take that shit though? (see what I did there) I'm generally not prone to violence, but that is such a gross act of disrespect, that is a real 'fukc you and what are you going to do about it' I don't think I would be able to let it go. Clear someone else's 'fukc you' pooh up off my own floor? Nah, this my friends is an outrage.
9th December 2009
Old 9th December 2009
Gear addict

A long time ago, in a big studio not too far away (not mine)...I was assisting a session with reggae band Third World. The singer was out in the studio and the engineer asked me to make a patch. In order to do so, I had to move a very large bag of weed which was sitting near the patchbay. When the singer came in, he got all up in my face for touching his weed and threatened to kill me if I touched it again. I laughed, thinking he was kidding, which pissed him off even more. Not wanting to get killed (or fired) I apologized for touching his doobage. Jeez, I thought weed was supposed to chill you out. So much for peace, love and good vibes.
9th December 2009
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
....When I went back in to shut everything down, I found that one of them (the singer or drummer, never found out which) had taken a dump on the floor and rolled my chair around in it.
Just take comfort knowing that in all likelyhood, IF they ever make it past age 40, they'll be toothless lowlifes unintentionally shitting on the floors of their own single occupancy hotel rooms.
9th December 2009
Old 9th December 2009
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found that one of them (the singer or drummer, never found out which) had taken a dump on the floor and rolled my chair around in it.
I'm guessing you must have criticized their work to some extend and they didn't take it well. We know how touchy musicians can be when you even dare question their genius...
9th December 2009
Old 9th December 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
I'm guessing you must have criticized their work to some extend and they didn't take it well. We know how touchy musicians can be when you even dare question their genius...
Bloody Mozarts!

9th December 2009
Old 9th December 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to raggedman
Personally I'm just sick of hearing my rig (1073's,1178, altec 9470's y'kno...real rack gear) referred to as "that pile of old junk" and how "real studios use pro tools like I have in my laptop"dfegad
10th December 2009
Old 10th December 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgrass View Post
he started in again. im a 6'2 250lb former linebacker.
That's awesome man. I was also a linebacker in college where did you play?
10th December 2009
Old 10th December 2009
Gear addict

I haven't had any "major" incidents happen, definitely no one crapping on my floor, but all the time I have people acting dumb and rude in the studio.

For instance, in one 3 hour rap vocal tracking session this week, I had these kids that:

-showed up an hour late, and called me like 8 times for personal directions when the place isn't even hard to find for anybody with google maps...

-showed up with 2 people that were not invited

-were stretching me nice sony headphones out when they walked out of the booth

-grabbing sh** they shouldn't be touching

-working on their corn-rows right over my mackie control, I don't want sh** from your hair in my control surface!

-trying to get all of them in the vocal booth at the same time, without asking me if it's cool. I got a problem with 3 kids in my vocal booth.

-smoking in the studio after I said they need to stop

-gaffled my lighter

- one kid went outside and was rapping out loud with headphones hooked to an ipod. I'm in a residential area, I didn't say it was cool to be rapping outside.

-shorted the money they were supposed to pay me.

This is all in 3 hours, and there's probably only half of it. Basically no courtesy and respect. I still occasionally do cheap sessions for "the homies" because some of these young kids have amazing talent, but I am cutting a lot of mofo's off now too, cuz I am sick of this sh**!!!
10th December 2009
Old 10th December 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freematik View Post
-showed up an hour late, and called me like 8 times for personal directions when the place isn't even hard to find for anybody with google maps...
Showing up late is unprofessional and shouldn't be tolerated. But I don't know what you're complaining for. You simply charge them for the time anyway, unless they called you before the session to let you know and had a legit reason. Otherwise, you basically get paid to sit around for an hour.

Quote:
-showed up with 2 people that were not invited
So? I don't think I've ever worked with an artist who didn't bring some friends along. 10 extra friends is excessive, but 2? Come on. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Quote:
-were stretching me nice sony headphones out when they walked out of the booth
Not cool. But this is resolved easily by asking them to be more careful.

Quote:
-grabbing sh** they shouldn't be touching
Sometimes people will do this when they're in a studio. They generally don't mean any harm. All you have to do is ask them nicely if they wouldn't mind touching whatever it is.

Quote:
-working on their corn-rows right over my mackie control, I don't want sh** from your hair in my control surface!
Again, I don't think they meant any harm. Asking nicely not to do that should resolve the problem. If it doesn't, then you end the session.

Quote:
-trying to get all of them in the vocal booth at the same time, without asking me if it's cool. I got a problem with 3 kids in my vocal booth.
Why? Does it explode if you have more than 1 person?

Quote:
-smoking in the studio after I said they need to stop
This is rude. This one I agree with you on.

Quote:
-gaffled my lighter
Again, rude behavior. I'm sure they didn't think much of it, though.

Quote:
- one kid went outside and was rapping out loud with headphones hooked to an ipod. I'm in a residential area, I didn't say it was cool to be rapping outside.
Didn't say it was cool to do something OUTSIDE of your studio? What say do you have in that?

Quote:
-shorted the money they were supposed to pay me.
This is completely unacceptable on their part. I'm behind you 100% on this one.

Quote:
I am cutting a lot of mofo's off now too, cuz I am sick of this sh**!!!
As you should. Only work with people that you are sure will act appropriately.

I think you have a few points here, but the rest just seem like you were looking for something to be annoyed about. Perhaps you didn't really want to work with them in the first place.
10th December 2009
Old 10th December 2009
Gear addict

Well, the rapping outside was in my backyard, so technically still my property. It was more of a matter of respect for the neighbors, but it was a minor thing that if it went on longer I would have asked to stop.

And yes, most of all of this behavior could be resolved by me just asking for it to stop, but I didn't want to be their nanny or babysitter and have to watch them on every turn.

All of this was small time stuff, but just the amount of it was annoying. I have worked with artists their age that were much more respectful, and they were honestly nice kids, just too out of control for my small residential studio.

But I knew going in that I was working with kids, so I knew most of it was coming, it's just I think this was the tipping point where I am just not doing anyone any favors. It's always the people that you give a deal to that end up being the worst clients...
11th December 2009
Old 11th December 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
It's always the people that you give a deal to that end up being the worst clients...
True that. I should clarify that I didn't mean to come off all challenging/antagonistic to you. There are more than a few people that I've seen around here in my lurking that simply like to complain about clients all the time, and it grinds my gears. So my knee-jerk reaction is sarcasm.

I always make it a point to explain to find out what the clients knowledge is first and then explain to them the whole process. In all honesty, I don't give anyone a deal unless I know them personally, or if it's going to be very beneficial for me (e.g. future business). I guess I can see how things would get annoying after they add up, and I certainly don't have the patience to deal with certain behaviors. I don't know that I would get through a whole session if people were getting on nerves, which they obviously were to you.

Sounds more like you were annoyed that they were late (and probably walked in with an attitude about it) and then everything they did after that just compounded that. I've been there. Hence why I would charge.

I don't generally get stiffed because I don't hand over the recordings until I am paid in full, even with good friends.
11th December 2009
Old 11th December 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoner View Post
A long time ago, in a big studio not too far away (not mine)...I was assisting a session with reggae band Third World. The singer was out in the studio and the engineer asked me to make a patch. In order to do so, I had to move a very large bag of weed which was sitting near the patchbay. When the singer came in, he got all up in my face for touching his weed and threatened to kill me if I touched it again. I laughed, thinking he was kidding, which pissed him off even more. Not wanting to get killed (or fired) I apologized for touching his doobage. Jeez, I thought weed was supposed to chill you out. So much for peace, love and good vibes.

surprising... not the Third World I met.
11th December 2009
Old 11th December 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
I was helping some "friends" of a friend lay down some tracks as a favor. They never even pretended to be happy with the experience. They were tossing little trinkets I had on shelves around, mocking me when I would ask them if they were ready for a take, stepping all over my toes on almost every decision I was making, wanting to re-take everything until I was finally just out of time/patience. It was obvious they didn't even want the recordings, and I wasn't inclined to give them to them anyway given how unimpressed they were. I helped them carry a bass amp out to their car and they basically just split. When I went back in to shut everything down, I found that one of them (the singer or drummer, never found out which) had taken a dump on the floor and rolled my chair around in it.

Did you ever talk to the 'friend' who refered them to you about it?
11th December 2009
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Recording a young band, 15-16 year olds......

One of the nights they bring vodka, after one of their mom's drops them off.

Another night they bring in one of their girlfriends and some beer, after one of their mom's drops them off.

And another night they bring the mom for the entire recording session.

I did drinkeded the vodka they left the session that night.

True story.
12th December 2009
Old 12th December 2009
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Send a message via MSN to jordanvoth
Recorded a drugged up folk singer who instead of using conventional percussion wanted me to mic up a pencil tapping on my desk. I did it, then he complain about the lack of resonance, clarity, warmth and a bunch of other buzzwords that don't necessarily apply to the sonic qualities of a penicil tapping on a desk. I sent him his mix and he wasn't happy and wanted more time but didn't want to pay so understandably my answer was no. Ran into him at a bar he was playing at and he took me aside and asked for a refund. In his words I'm a great guy to work with and talented but he would have to bad mouth me to his friends cause of this. I told I will be refunding him his money when I can be refunded for my time. When he went up on stage I found a transient, bought him two beers, one to spill on the clients amp while he was playing, and one for himself. Cheers.
Jax
12th December 2009
Old 12th December 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was helping some "friends" of a friend lay down some tracks as a favor. They never even pretended to be happy with the experience. They were tossing little trinkets I had on shelves around, mocking me when I would ask them if they were ready for a take, stepping all over my toes on almost every decision I was making, wanting to re-take everything until I was finally just out of time/patience. It was obvious they didn't even want the recordings, and I wasn't inclined to give them to them anyway given how unimpressed they were. I helped them carry a bass amp out to their car and they basically just split. When I went back in to shut everything down, I found that one of them (the singer or drummer, never found out which) had taken a dump on the floor and rolled my chair around in it.
I think I would be ready to cause them serious harm after this.
12th December 2009
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranhadrum View Post
Recording a young band, 15-16 year olds......

One of the nights they bring vodka, after one of their mom's drops them off.

Another night they bring in one of their girlfriends and some beer, after one of their mom's drops them off.

And another night they bring the mom for the entire recording session.

I did drinkeded the vodka they left the session that night.

True story.
The mom was probably paying for it, and wanted to see where her money was going.
13th December 2009
Old 13th December 2009
Gear addict

Talking studio rudness

I don't run a commercial facility anymore but when I did there were a few interesting things that happened....

In the mid eighties I had a band that booked a week to do an album of material to sell at their gigs. The name of the band was "Jehovah Sickness". They told me they were a punk rock band (like I couldn't figure that out from the name). Before the 1st session a friend of mine told me these guys were really bad on stage. They would get in fights with each other and the audience. The lead singer had actually drop his drawers and took a crap on stage in front of the audience. A bunch of stuff like that.

When they came in to record I had a discussion with them. I told them I had been warned of their antics on stage and I asked if it was true. They told me it was. Now I'm not a particularly big person 5'7" and weighed about 180 at that time.

So I told them the truth. I expected them to be completely professional and we would get along fine and that the first one that did some asinine crap would get their balls pulled out thru their throat.

I asked if they had any questions and they all looked at each other and said no. We proceeded with the sessions and as luck would have it these guys were actually very good musicians and we did a really good album of 80's punk. They gave me a nice compliment when they told me they didn't realize how good they actually sounded.

I finished the 2 track master and called them to come by and pick it up. Never heard from them again until about a year later one of the band members showed up and told me the lead singer had got stabbed during a show and had a collapsed lung and couldn't sing anymore.

Gave them the tape (it had all been paid for in advance) and never heard from them again.

Had a reggae band book a 3 day session to do a 4 song demo. They were suppose to show up at 6pm but did not. I did some other work and was leaving at 9pm when they strolled in thru the back door.

They were all stoned to the max. I told them they were 3 hours late and that they would need to reschedule. They became belligerent and threatened me with bodily harm. I said excuse me and walked into my office and walked back out and held my 357 magnum at 90 degrees to my body and told them to leave.

It's amazing how sobering that is. They cursed me and said they would sue me and all kinds of things. Oh I had also called the cops while I was getting my pistol. They were arrested in the drive behind my studio. Of the 5 members of the band 3 went to jail due to outstanding warrants. One of the warrants was for murder. Never felt bad about it at all.

A few more but for a later date.

Ya all have a good evening now.

www.whoisjohndoemusic.com
13th December 2009
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post

I said excuse me and walked into my office and walked back out and held my 357 magnum at 90 degrees to my body and told them to leave.
Not a fan of guns..... But I am a fan of this, because showing up 3 hours late and then being hostile is something that would happen to me hahaha.... nice job.
13th December 2009
Old 13th December 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
held my 357 magnum at 90 degrees to my body and told them to leave.
this is badass
14th December 2009
Old 14th December 2009
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent-sam View Post
Not a fan of guns..... But I am a fan of this, because showing up 3 hours late and then being hostile is something that would happen to me hahaha.... nice job.
Nice! That probably scared the shit out of them... By the way, nice Quote Schneider .
14th December 2009
Old 14th December 2009
Gear Head

Guns are boring

A few gun stories. Yawn.
Showing this rapper some beats and he whips out this HUGE knife. Like 10-12 inch blade. It was practicaly a sword. All fancy and wide. And he was on coke.

Something different...
14th December 2009
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Wow. I love this thread. It's pretty much the exact reasons why I stick to doing live recordings of competitions/festivals for school bands/orchestras/choirs and pianists. Although for every horrible experience, there's probably scores more of good ones.

The most anyone has ever said to me was about how I set up the mics. Apparently ORTF isn't "pretty" enough. This was at a concert band competition where the only people watching were two judges and a small group of the kids' parents who tagged along for the trip.
15th December 2009
Old 15th December 2009
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUtubadude View Post
Wow. I love this thread. It's pretty much the exact reasons why I stick to doing live recordings of competitions/festivals and pianists. Although for every horrible experience, there's probably scores more of good ones.

The most anyone has ever said to me was about how I set up the mics. Apparently ORTF isn't "pretty" enough. This was at a concert band competition where the only people watching were two judges and a small group of the kids' parents who tagged along for the trip.
When I used to play shows with my former band, most sound guys were pricks when they were setting up, but then were nice after they heard our set.
15th December 2009
Old 15th December 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
I don't run a commercial facility anymore but when I did there were a few interesting things that happened....

In the mid eighties I had a band that booked a week to do an album of material to sell at their gigs. The name of the band was "Jehovah Sickness". They told me they were a punk rock band (like I couldn't figure that out from the name). Before the 1st session a friend of mine told me these guys were really bad on stage. They would get in fights with each other and the audience. The lead singer had actually drop his drawers and took a crap on stage in front of the audience. A bunch of stuff like that.

When they came in to record I had a discussion with them. I told them I had been warned of their antics on stage and I asked if it was true. They told me it was. Now I'm not a particularly big person 5'7" and weighed about 180 at that time.

So I told them the truth. I expected them to be completely professional and we would get along fine and that the first one that did some asinine crap would get their balls pulled out thru their throat.

I asked if they had any questions and they all looked at each other and said no. We proceeded with the sessions and as luck would have it these guys were actually very good musicians and we did a really good album of 80's punk. They gave me a nice compliment when they told me they didn't realize how good they actually sounded.

I finished the 2 track master and called them to come by and pick it up. Never heard from them again until about a year later one of the band members showed up and told me the lead singer had got stabbed during a show and had a collapsed lung and couldn't sing anymore.

Gave them the tape (it had all been paid for in advance) and never heard from them again.

Had a reggae band book a 3 day session to do a 4 song demo. They were suppose to show up at 6pm but did not. I did some other work and was leaving at 9pm when they strolled in thru the back door.

They were all stoned to the max. I told them they were 3 hours late and that they would need to reschedule. They became belligerent and threatened me with bodily harm. I said excuse me and walked into my office and walked back out and held my 357 magnum at 90 degrees to my body and told them to leave.

It's amazing how sobering that is. They cursed me and said they would sue me and all kinds of things. Oh I had also called the cops while I was getting my pistol. They were arrested in the drive behind my studio. Of the 5 members of the band 3 went to jail due to outstanding warrants. One of the warrants was for murder. Never felt bad about it at all.

A few more but for a later date.

Ya all have a good evening now.
Is this the band here:
Dark Eden (R.I.P. 1996-2009) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
15th December 2009
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yikes! That's some string of stories guys.

One of the best things I can think of to take care of that kind of thing if you're not a Pro-Bowler is buy a few well-hidden/protected cameras. That and one cheap one that's not connected.

I think if there were cameras in bathroom stalls I'd even think twice.

That and you don't have to say a damn thing to officials. Getting license plates never hurts either. Of course you can't be all paranoid that everybody that shows up is going to try and steamroll then crap in the control room. Good Gawd.

...I think that's how it goes.
15th December 2009
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

I think I speak for all of us when I say, for the band that did the artwork on the floor using the medium of feces and office chair, all of the normal rules about confidentiality and professionalism re: any tracks of theirs you might happen to have on a hard drive, no longer apply. In fact, you would be within your rights to modify the tracks to make them much worse before sharing them with the world at large.

Just in case you could use a little help coming up with mocking captions for a specially annotated youtube video or something. We can lift pics off their myspace page. You've got the team behind you on this one.
15th December 2009
Old 15th December 2009
Gear addict

17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear nut

back in the day when I was running coffee in the studio a well known producer asks me to get him the morning paper. I happily go and get one for him. When I take it to him he says "I don't like this one, can you get me a REAL paper, I wipe my a*s with this sh*t".
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search