College kids and their Pirated Music..
heyman
1st June 2009
Old 1st June 2009
Lives for gear

College kids and their Pirated Music..

Just wanted to reiterate the sad state of what it is like to see music pirated all over college campuses.

I should know. I work for for a college (Supporting computers) during the day - as well as work as a audio engineer and musician.

I would have to say that 8/10 computers I put my hands on have pirated Music/movies/software..

Ok, someone will step in know and say, but wait, maybe they payed for that stuff..

Yeah right..

Kazzaa, Limewire, etc.. They all have them loaded on their laptops.

Other thing they have in common, a shitload of virus --- that probibly have their credit card / personal information...

Then they want me to clean it off. fuuck

I have even had students ask me to - get this -- Help them get a pirated version of "any software here" working on their computer..

WOW...

Here's the best excuse... Everything cost so much money..

Well, welcome to the real world.. Get a job to pay for it..

Rant over..
1st June 2009
Old 1st June 2009
Gear addict

Don't you just wish you could slap people like that? The worst part is, they wouldn't get it.

Maybe next time some pirate brings in their computer for you to fix, you should keep it. When they ask why you should tell them, "I can't afford a computer like this and I want one. You have one, so I'm taking it." The more they argue, the more you pitch their own excuses back at them.

For instance,
"Your parents make more money then me, so I'm really only hurting your parents who DESERVE to get stolen from because they have so much money."

"Don't worry, when I can afford to, I'll buy my own computer. Until then, I'll just pirate yours."

"How will I know if I like this computer unless I pirate yours for a while?"

"Well, if this computer didn't cost so much, I could afford to buy my own."

Like I said before though, they won't get it.
1st June 2009
Old 1st June 2009
Gear Guru

Smile

yes, indeed - the writing was on the wall a long time ago with all this shit...

...and now that everyone and their mothers are streaming movies -
watch them suck all the money out of the movie business, too.

1st June 2009
Old 1st June 2009
Gear nut

It's very sad, and rather ironic. It's caused a whole generation to not know what it is to value music and art... and as a result, many of the younger bands I record are having a hell of a time selling their own music.
1st June 2009
Old 1st June 2009
Lives for gear

The outcome of course is that the same kids will never get to work in the music or film industries because they are destroying them. I feel sorry for the hundreds of thousands of college kids who will never get to know what it's like to work in these industries and will have to work on non-creative ones instead. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot... Did they think that the end of the film and music industries would have no personal effect on them?
1st June 2009
Old 1st June 2009
Lives for gear

The end of these industries? What are you talking about? There is so much work about it's not funny, especially in film and tv.
heyman
1st June 2009
Old 1st June 2009
Lives for gear

Here is the really sad part.. I work for an ART school.
1st June 2009
Old 1st June 2009
Gear maniac

I don't support piracy at ALL, but there is not one movie, software or song worth pirating in the last 10 yrs anyways.

College kids are just trying to be "cool".Too bad piracy is the new way to do that.It will pass like all fads do, they will get bored by the time the RIAA/MPAA try and get a grip on it, they will have wasted resources like they always do.
2nd June 2009
Old 2nd June 2009
Gear interested

Unhappy Fad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwd View Post
It will pass like all fads do.
College kids (and I would know because I am one) have been pirating music/software/movies/etc. for almost my entire life without feeling bad about it. I am turning 20 in a couple days and I remember the Napster thing from when I was too young to realize what digital downloading was.

For a "fad" this has a long standing hold. And unfortunately my generation is starting to raise another generation who will have the same morals as their parents. That it's not really stealing, that it's not really wrong. You're just sampling it until you feel like buying it. If you can't afford it then there's nothing wrong with it anyway. Blah...

I don't think this is just a fad. I think it's already gone a lot deeper than that.
2nd June 2009
Old 2nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Here is the really sad part.. I work for an ART school.
Well if it's an art school, all their parents paid for their tuition so they obviously don't know the real value of money.
2nd June 2009
Old 2nd June 2009
Lives for gear

My wife and I have been going to Borders (books/DVDs/CDs, etc) for years now. We like it better than Barnes and Nobles for a few reaons including their pretty nice selection of movies and a few major label type CDs. Anyhow, now they've completely done away with all DVDs and CDs due to in store theft, and I suspect because of what this very thread is about. Between the slow economy and a huge segment of the market pirating, I guess they figured it wasn't profitable enough to carry the inventory.
2nd June 2009
Old 2nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Honestly who cares? At this point, no one can do anything about it anyways. Why worry about things you have no control over?

Not trying to be a dork, just my 2 cents!

alexP
2nd June 2009
Old 2nd June 2009
Quote:
I don't support piracy at ALL, but there is not one movie, software or song worth pirating in the last 10 yrs anyways.

College kids are just trying to be "cool".Too bad piracy is the new way to do that.It will pass like all fads do, they will get bored by the time the RIAA/MPAA try and get a grip on it, they will have wasted resources like they always do.
You're very out of touch.
2nd June 2009
Old 2nd June 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
You're very out of touch.
No, life is too short to sit and rant about people's moral flaws.It is sad that the internet has ruined the music industry(a joke IMHO), but we need to adapt and move on.I remember when labels were the "enemy" now people are sticking it to them and suddenly its our "friend" again.I see a brighter future without major labels, times are changing, technology is so close to replacing a musician anyways.

Labels over spent for years, some artists got way too much power, threw big parties and well just excess instead of seeing want was coming.Its not just piracy that killed the industry as much as they like to place the blame.Sometimes people need to look in the mirror and face the truth, the blame game is a cop out.
3rd June 2009
Old 3rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Calling piracy a trend is very very inaccurate. No one is going to go "Oh hey I thought it was cool to get this stuff for free before but now that it's not cool I'm going to start paying for it."
3rd June 2009
Old 3rd June 2009
Gear Guru

Actually, let's start calling this era we're living through The Pirate Age.
3rd June 2009
Old 3rd June 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian! View Post
Calling piracy a trend is very very inaccurate. No one is going to go "Oh hey I thought it was cool to get this stuff for free before but now that it's not cool I'm going to start paying for it."
Well, it may be a leap, but we have had some people on these forums admit too piracy and then realized their errors and went legit.Some people go through phases in life, some test the dark sides of life.Its a growing experience, look at drinking on college campuses and its sudden drop.Binge drinking and its results finally scared some straight, others will test out darwin's theory.Ok, Way OT, just putting things in perspective.

BTW I worked at a very big facility in LA circa 96 and I remember an engineer gave me a disc with a shite ton of warez for a "bonus"(these were on the PT rig as well, I was unaware what that little "K" was.I made the decision right there to not work for that individual nor use that crap.I could have easily taken that path, but I was raised to earn my needs/wants not take them.
3rd June 2009
Old 3rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, it may be a leap, but we have had some people on these forums admit too piracy and then realized their errors and went legit.Some people go through phases in life, some test the dark sides of life.Its a growing experience, look at drinking on college campuses and its sudden drop.Binge drinking and its results finally scared some straight, others will test out darwin's theory.Ok, Way OT, just putting things in perspective.

BTW I worked at a very big facility in LA circa 96 and I remember an engineer gave me a disc with a shite ton of warez for a "bonus"(these were on the PT rig as well, I was unaware what that little "K" was.I made the decision right there to not work for that individual nor use that crap.I could have easily taken that path, but I was raised to earn my needs/wants not take them.
Right, but for something that is ultimately a luxury for consumers, nothing is going to beat covenience and free. Your warez comparison isn't really valid because it's much easier to justify paying money for something that will earn you money and ultimately save you a lot of money in the long run in case you get sued. The problem with pirated music is that downloaders face virtually no risk and there aren't many alternatives that compete with free.
11th June 2009
Old 11th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
No, life is too short to sit and rant about people's moral flaws.It is sad that the internet has ruined the music industry(a joke IMHO), but we need to adapt and move on.I remember when labels were the "enemy" now people are sticking it to them and suddenly its our "friend" again.I see a brighter future without major labels, times are changing, technology is so close to replacing a musician anyways.

Labels over spent for years, some artists got way too much power, threw big parties and well just excess instead of seeing want was coming.Its not just piracy that killed the industry as much as they like to place the blame.Sometimes people need to look in the mirror and face the truth, the blame game is a cop out.
So your "bright future without record labels" also includes no musicians? Sounds pretty bleak to me. And to say that the internet ruining the music industry is a joke is also depressing. I remember going to the record store (remember those) to buy a COMPLETE album, enjoying the artwork and thought put into the project, anticipating a new release, etc. Now people are more concerned with downloading the "hot" single (bought or pirated). It's sad. An artist can have the number one single in the world but barely sell any records. That just doesn't make sense to me. And to say pirating isn't the main factor hurting the music industry is just insane. Just look back a decade and follow the trend of pirating. The more people pirated, the lower the sales were. It's not rocket science here. Now the quality of music will suffer because budgets are low and potential artists who normally would have a shot at getting signed, don't, because the labels are scared to put money into an unproven artist. And another point: where the hell did artist development go? Labels don't want to develop the acts signed to them, they just want a product that is already proven and in place and THEN they will get behind it. I think the days of bands/singers/rappers having long careers focused in music is gone. Now every act has to supplement their income by turning into actors, clothing designers, pitchmen, etc. The same thing could happen to the movie industry. What will be the incentive to create big budget movies if no one pays for the ticket on opening day because they already have a pirated copy on their iPhone? But hey, at least you saved a couple bucks right... fuuck
11th June 2009
Old 11th June 2009
Lives for gear

^^^^
Truth!

I think the arts started to decline without the help of the internet. All the fresh ideas have been used and the fact that technology made the internet show up right when everything has already been done is coincidence. Ok maybe it affected the arts a little....
12th June 2009
Old 12th June 2009
Gear Head

Pirating sucks because the artists does not get paid which means he cant get feed himself and his family so he has to go for an alternative career....which means no more music from that particular artist....which means......dont steal! if you like a song , buy it! its only 99 cents on itunes...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search