The amount of BS on here is unreal.
alexp
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

The amount of BS on here is unreal.

Seriously. Did all the colleges let out and suddenly theres an influx of bs "engineers and producers" on here? I have read a couple threads just today and it makes me laugh. Sorry, this is just a rant, but theres a lot of crap on here lately with people making ridiculous claims to fame and not being able to back anything up. In the words of anyone immortal...

I call bullshit.

alexP
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Funny? I was thinking the same thing about you.........

Well not really I've never even read any of your posts. I'm just kidding around. My claim to fame is I met
William Hung when he was on his Mall tour. And that was about as cool as techno music.

There are those who think they know, and what they know is what they think
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Gear addict

You're not really calling BS until you mention specific people/posts...
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

I totally agree; in fact Paul, Ringo and I were talking about this very thing last night.
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

I thought the whole music industry was b.s....then I found gearsluts.
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Hehe. Nice.

Keep in mind it's "Gearslutz" and not "Legit Audio Engineerz".

If it were, there'd be far less traffic. There are very vocal people with high post counts who do something totally else with their days... And may or may not have any clue what they're talking about. And don't be fooled: Many of the guys with the most "toys" are just weekenders with lucrative dayjobs. Many of the pros just have select "tools".

Course, there are a sh*t ton of pros who can't hear worth a damn anyway. (I probably fit into this last category... )
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Well not to get on to high a horse...but really how much knowledge do ya need for hip-hop/ambient and what-not?

Besides everyone has an opinion or two, heck I usually end up arguing with myself...

...now if it were a private forum that I paid to be on...well then I might have an issue...
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Did all the colleges let out and suddenly theres an influx of bs "engineers and producers" on here?
uff
In its core this forum is obviously not 'engineering related only' or 'producing only'.
GAS is main force behind healthy part of members with addition of many very clever advices and suggestion from excellent engineers and producers.
I don't think it is completelly pro forum and there are majority of gear and music lovers who approach gears and music production techniques seriously.
If big, real pros would be only who participate here, I could imagine how boring this place would become in days, also, if gears would not be so widelly spread among non pros and hobbists, many gear makers would close their businesses soon.
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

I'm here because I was told you get a free T-shirt and pizza if you have 1,000 posts. Jules?
Mho
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Mho
Gear addict

Quote:
Seriously. Did all the colleges let out and suddenly theres an influx of bs "engineers and producers" on here? I have read a couple threads just today and it makes me laugh. Sorry, this is just a rant, but theres a lot of crap on here lately with people making ridiculous claims to fame and not being able to back anything up. In the words of anyone immortal...

I call bullshit.

alexP
Any examples on that crap?
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
The Audio Whisperer

I felt the need to defend myself here...

I'm one of those dayjobbers with high post counts...

So what? I've got a handful of clients that make me work 80 hours a week. I'm just not financially able to switch to full time until I've replaced my dayjob's salary...

When you're married, you gotta make sure the Mrs. is happy too. But based on the hours I'm booking lately, the transition is almost over...

I guess I'm not lucky enough to be one of those trust fund babies that gets to go intern for 6 years somewhere and then finally get to make $10/hr as a runner for another 5 while mommy and daddy pay my bills. My rent is due on the first of every month. But in the meantime, I've aquired pretty much all the gear I'm going to want, have set up a commercial space and am in the middle of no less than 5 different projects.

I, having a dayjob, sir, are far busier than many of those home studios with audio alone.
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post
I felt the need to defend myself here...

I'm one of those dayjobbers with high post counts...

So what? I've got a handful of clients that make me work 80 hours a week. I'm just not financially able to switch to full time until I've replaced my dayjob's salary...

When you're married, you gotta make sure the Mrs. is happy too. But based on the hours I'm booking lately, the transition is almost over...

I guess I'm not lucky enough to be one of those trust fund babies that gets to go intern for 6 years somewhere and then finally get to make $10/hr as a runner for another 5 while mommy and daddy pay my bills. My rent is due on the first of every month. But in the meantime, I've aquired pretty much all the gear I'm going to want, have set up a commercial space and am in the middle of no less than 5 different projects.

I, having a dayjob, sir, are far busier than many of those home studios with audio alone.
VERY TRUE!!

I know some "weekenders" that spend a lot of time making kick ass records, while some "full-timers" spend the week with little kid garage bands and radio commercials to make rent.
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax View Post
Hehe. Nice.

Keep in mind it's "Gearslutz" and not "Legit Audio Engineerz".

If it were, there'd be far less traffic.
There are very vocal people with high post counts who do something totally else with their days... And may or may not have any clue what they're talking about. And don't be fooled: Many of the guys with the most "toys" are just weekenders with lucrative dayjobs. Many of the pros just have select "tools".

Course, there are a sh*t ton of pros who can't hear worth a damn anyway. (I probably fit into this last category... )
Me.

I did work in commercial studios and I did try running a project studio. And I may have a clue what I'm talking about. But I do work a different day job.

Still, music (and recording it) is my avocation, I did scores of projects back in the day [nothing all that special; a bunch of indie releases and more demos -- a couple of which that got folks picked up for majors or major/feeders] and have done many hundreds of recordings for myself.

But I discovered I don't have what it takes to work on others' music day in and day out and deliver my best. It might have been in me, once. But not anymore. So I leave that to you guys who are cut out to be pros.

On the up side, while I like to shoot off my mouth, I also very much like to not be proven wrong... so I try to be accurate when I do my mouth-off-shooting...

17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, this is just a rant, but theres a lot of crap on here lately with people making ridiculous claims to fame and not being able to back anything up.
And likewise there is just as much crap about the importance high-end pres and converters and such in making music. "Stacking theory", "converter accuracy",
"hardware beats software" etc. are all WAY overblown.

Too many salesmen in the crowd and too many suckers willing to accept their marketing bullshit.

But if you accept the bullshit for what it is... then it's all in good fun I guess...

17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

I was just pondering this too - I think it's because this forum is open to people with gearlust and not necessarily just pros. In fact I am sometimes astonished at how plain bad some people's music is in proportion to how loud they are, but you get that no matter where you go. I try not to judge, we're all on a sliding scale somewhere and I have learned a ton about mixing just from sifting thru the chaff here, it's been invaluable and I try to lower the noise ratio too and only talk about my experiences. It's the novice or the egomaniac (or the salesmen) that tries to hard sell the truth anywhere. And I have definitely settled into an equilibrium where my gear matches my skills, as I have a good dayjob to buy nice stuff. But I have been tracking improvement on my own part and I hope some of the great stuff I learned here will be passed off to others in the position I was in a few years ago...
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Gear Guru

It's the internet. Take all advice at your own risk. thumbsup
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by confooshus View Post
You're not really calling BS until you mention specific people/posts...
OK, I'll start: see my signature
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

there is static everywhere.

you just have to tune it out.

i do agree that often times this board seems overrun with sophmoric conjecture.

i still find enough good here to stop by now and then.

best,

jchristopherhughes
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

I'm just gonna make a mindless post without even reading one other post in this thread cause you're all full of shit!!!!!!!!
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

lol!

Its the internet. Opinions are irrelevent.

Depeche always had good production.

PSB as well!

alexP
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Where does it say you have to be a pro to join this board?
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
The Audio Whisperer

Aparently nowhere since you're here...

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Seriously though, I'm busier than half of my full-time engineer friends. And I can make rent each month and have enough cash to fund my gear habbit...
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seriously though, I'm busier than half of my full-time engineer friends. And I can make rent each month and have enough cash to fund my gear habbit...
It's called a regular job
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Lives for gear

So you meet Dumbasses everywhere whoopdeedoo just crack open a nice cold beer and flip them off digitally.........Analog is still the better way to do it though, nothing beats actually flipping off the person, well in person.
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Chaellus;3661935]So you meet Dumbasses everywhere [QUOTE]

That says it all
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
OK, I'll start: see my signature
lol....I'd mention dylansmale, but he's been a lot less obnoxious of late, so that's a bit harsh really!

the thing that gets me the most is people recommending things they've never used - when someone says "what should I get x or y" just because you have y, doesn't mean it's right for them. By all means let them know your experience with y but qualify that with the admission you've never used x.

the other bugbear for me is people recommending things nothing to do with the product! "how do I do this in PT"? "oh, use reaper"....thanks, that's a great help.

I know I've got a big mouth, but I never offer an opinion on things I've not experienced.
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008

ah the internet.

PsychoM knows what I do. So we'll leave it at that.....
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
Wow, just looked at the today's posts over there ... they're busy talking about obama-inspired race crimes ... and twin towers conspiracy theories ... awesome!

Quote:
My First Music Video!!!
very droll, esp. liked mirror bit at end!
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
I thought the whole music industry was b.s....then I found gearsluts.

lol....and you realized....what, exactly?.....

....that you were RIGHT?...lol

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search