Why do people run their mouths?
Dragonfly
Thread Starter
#1
29th May 2005
Old 29th May 2005
  #1
Gear maniac
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Why do people run their mouths?

It could be just me, but it seems that people like to run their mouths about topics they have no clue about, claim they hear things noone else can ( meaning it isn't there), and try to show off in odd ways to show superiority.

I recently attended a little Q&A session with a very well known, very reputable, and very rude engineer. I swear this guy was talking out of his ass because he knew noone in the room was going to contradict him. He was showing his mixes of 192 and 176, 88.2 and 96k recordings and claiming he was hearing this immense difference, and yes, sometimes you can, but most definitely not in this case!

When asked what he though was a well tracked project he had looked at/worked on in the past, he said the Rob Thomas/Santana "Smoothe" was the crummiest thing he'd ever heard and Santana's playing was junk, but he praised another artist who I assisted for over the summer, and believe me, that albums going to suck!

Sometimes I think 90% of the people are all talk and can't put their money where their mouth is. Thankfully Gearslutz does a decent job of filtering out, almost intimidating individuals from spitting in the wind.

Dante
#2
29th May 2005
Old 29th May 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 
entropy's Avatar
 

mmmmm, sounds like something I attended a few weeks back. A seminar dubbed "recording and production techniques", it was little more than 2 hours (well that's when I left) of sales waffle that had little relevance to the real world. No techniques, no real info, just sales waffle. It was when he started dropping names of people who use his product that I left (having only started my position a matter of days before, I was in no position to rock the boat). I knew for a fact one of the credits he deemed to one of his users was a plain lie because one of my old customers was the person who did all the engineering concerned.

Unfortunately we are in a industry that has far too many spinners (granted, not as many as the film/tv industry). And the old saying of opinions and arseholes is none more relevant than the music industry. So what do we do? Go over to Fletchers thread on hammers and chose wisely
#3
30th May 2005
Old 30th May 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Ted Nightshade's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
he said the Rob Thomas/Santana "Smoothe" was the crummiest thing he'd ever heard
It is an atrocity! But I'm prejudiced- I love Santana's early work much too much.

I just about puke when I hear that tune. I run from the room and hide.
#4
30th May 2005
Old 30th May 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Jose Mrochek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
It could be just me, but it seems that people like to run their mouths about topics they have no clue about, claim they hear things noone else can ( meaning it isn't there), and try to show off in odd ways to show superiority.

I recently attended a little Q&A session with a very well known, very reputable, and very rude engineer. I swear this guy was talking out of his ass because he knew noone in the room was going to contradict him. He was showing his mixes of 192 and 176, 88.2 and 96k recordings and claiming he was hearing this immense difference, and yes, sometimes you can, but most definitely not in this case!

When asked what he though was a well tracked project he had looked at/worked on in the past, he said the Rob Thomas/Santana "Smoothe" was the crummiest thing he'd ever heard and Santana's playing was junk, but he praised another artist who I assisted for over the summer, and believe me, that albums going to suck!

Sometimes I think 90% of the people are all talk and can't put their money where their mouth is. Thankfully Gearslutz does a decent job of filtering out, almost intimidating individuals from spitting in the wind.

Dante

100% of all my real life encounters with PRO engineers has tought me that the ones that don't talk are the ones you should trust. I have seen interns with way more (know it all attitude) then guys making 2k a day. I think this reflects on everything in life though.
#5
30th May 2005
Old 30th May 2005
  #5
Moderator emeritus
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
It could be just me, but it seems that people like to run their mouths about topics they have no clue about,
Of COURSE people do that - that's what people do. Don't get upset, get amused. That's what works for me...
#6
3rd June 2005
Old 3rd June 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
 

I love it when clients come over and bitch about me not having any Neve or "NEWMAN" gear.....i am considering scribbling w/ a sharpie on a piece of B-gear and see if they notice!!

rock

sdf
#7
3rd June 2005
Old 3rd June 2005
  #7
Registered User
 
Anderson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
100% of all my real life encounters with PRO engineers has tought me that the ones that don't talk are the ones you should trust. I have seen interns with way more (know it all attitude) then guys making 2k a day. I think this reflects on everything in life though.
I couldn't agree more!!!

Reminds me of one thing that happened to me some years ago, when I thought I needed to learn more about the 5.1 encoding bla bla bla. So I decided to call a famous so called "Pro audio school" (yes, that 3 letters one) to see if they had anything to offer, you never know (???). So I get this guy on the phone who explains me how great their place is and basically talking quite a lot about himself and how good he is. Gives me an appointment, I go there and him and a woman are there in an office. I explain what I am looking for, and we start getting into the details of things. And he starts talking a lot again and basically really makes a fool out of himself by saying all those nonsense with a Pro Audio used gear salesman crap attitude (the I'm god, you're crap kinda stuff)

I get a bit annoyed and we begin to argue, until the guy asks me if I would like to teach at their school, or at least be an assistant ( What?!?! ???!). So we talk more and I realise that at one point the girl and him are completely lost in the discussion! So after a while the woman stands and shouts at me: "you know, if you really want to work here you have to stand being here until 20.00 and get the garbage bags out twice a week!!! Can you handle this ?!"

That's the point where I left . I wanted to get infos on 5.1 and I end up being shouted at for a job that they offered and that I was not looking for! It's funny how those people are faking the funk and then get angry at you for basically not buying it.

I only trust low profile SE that can say "I don't know", "maybe" when asked a question, and that do question their work and themselves.
#8
3rd June 2005
Old 3rd June 2005
  #8
Gear maniac
 
weedmaker's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
It could be just me, but it seems that people like to run their mouths about topics they have no clue about, claim they hear things noone else can ( meaning it isn't there), and try to show off in odd ways to show superiority.
That's the only way how the 99% of people could get any job.

Ask yourself: How many engineers/producers have hit the charts with their recordings? How many are trusted by artist/labels (major or local doesn't matter - the amount of money is different, principle is the same) to do work without self promotion in advance?

If they don't talk they can't promote themselves

As Dave said above: People will always do this in every aspect of life; prepare to be amused
#9
7th November 2005
Old 7th November 2005
  #9
Special Guest
 
Al Schmitt's Avatar
 

People who put down other peoples work usually are very insecure, most of us don't know the problems the engineer faced on the project. He could have been told to do things he wouldn't normally do, or bad musicians or bad accoustics. All of us have C Ds that we are unhappy with one way or another. I don't think I have ever made a record that I've been totally happy with. So remember if you can't say anything nice about a project keep you mouth shut. Al
#10
7th November 2005
Old 7th November 2005
  #10
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Schmitt
People who put down other peoples work usually are very insecure, most of us don't know the problems the engineer faced on the project. He could have been told to do things he wouldn't normally do, or bad musicians or bad accoustics. All of us have C Ds that we are unhappy with one way or another. I don't think I have ever made a record that I've been totally happy with. So remember if you can't say anything nice about a project keep you mouth shut. Al


Not bad for your 3rd post Al


Great advice! It's good to have you here.
#11
7th November 2005
Old 7th November 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Midlandmorgan's Avatar
 

I met Al at his Austin seminar not too long ago...at no time did ne EVER say a word about anyone else's stuff (except to praise other people's works when warranted)...

Interestingly, I get a LOT of work from people who started projects at other studios, and decided to change because of the engineer's "I know it all you know nothing" attitude...when people directly ask me about other local engineers/studios, I try to just say that my competitors take a different approach to the recording process, and leave it at that...I discovered long ago some of my competitors in this area spend quite a bit of time directly badmouthing us...an approach I think is pretty childish, and obviously a turn off for the clients.

Interestng topic...
#12
19th November 2005
Old 19th November 2005
  #12
Gear interested
 
Finalmix56's Avatar
 

I agree, why does everybody in my area (SF bay) have to be in competition??? I think that we all have our own unique style and certain people might like one over the other. If we can come together and support each other more we can all improve more.
#13
19th November 2005
Old 19th November 2005
  #13
Filter through all the info you an get and make a note of stuff you feel will be helpful and reject the BS.

The great thing about assisting on sessions is - you get to see things go wrong, technically and from a personal interaction standpoint... its all useful stuff.

Soak it up like a sponge..

Al's post is sage advice
#14
19th November 2005
Old 19th November 2005
  #14
Lives for gear
 
AlexLakis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlandmorgan
Interestingly, I get a LOT of work from people who started projects at other studios, and decided to change because of the engineer's "I know it all you know nothing" attitude...when people directly ask me about other local engineers/studios, I try to just say that my competitors take a different approach to the recording process, and leave it at that...I discovered long ago some of my competitors in this area spend quite a bit of time directly badmouthing us...an approach I think is pretty childish, and obviously a turn off for the clients.

Interestng topic...
Same here, especially when I was starting out. Most of the business I would get was from people refusing to work with pretty much the only engineer at pretty much the only studio in the area. I guess he was aware of the fact that he had a virtual monopoly, and just didn't even try to care about the clients, or the quality of the work he was putting out. I always got along with him, but it seems most others were unable to. His work has improved over the years, tho, although I'm sure his attitude hasn't...

It's really sad how much "badmouthing" goes on behind the scenes in this business between local studios. A while ago, I went to interview for a prominent local studio, and the first thing the owner did was start badmouthing the second most prominent studio in the area. Really turned me off. It takes a lot more intelligent thought and effort to praise the good in something than ridicule the bad. I suppose most people are just scared of competition. But why are you scared? Why not embrace it? I've found that good business men will often refer clients to other businesses in the area if their own business is not the best choice for them, while bad businessmen just tend to badmouth the competition and talk out of their asses. I've always thought that the best "business man" is a "non-business man."

We should all be joining forces to make the music business and the world a better place! Unless you've forgotten why you got into this business in the first place??? (It certainly wasn't to make money!!!!!)
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Marty Shields. / Geekslutz forum
3
catfish11 / Music Computers
18
oortnyc / Music Computers
19

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.