Login / Register

How in the hell do you get ezDrummer to sound any good?
New Reply
Subscribe
MikeTSH
29th October 2008
Old 29th October 2008
Guitar/Vox of Skyway Ave.

Send a message via Skype™ to MikeTSH
How in the hell do you get ezDrummer to sound any good?

I've got all the expanisons and not one of them fits my needs, the pop rock sounds to flat and boring, Nashville is too, well, the snare sounds like bowling pins being knocked over and the toms are extremely ringy, the vintage kit is way to try and muffled, Drumkit from Hell doesn't fit my needs at all, plus the snare is paper thin on there, and Calaustrophobic (sp?), Latin etc I only use on my cousins demo recordings (she's into RnB etc so obviously she requires that kind of percussion)

My big beef is I never find a fat snare I love, why?!?!
29th October 2008
Old 29th October 2008

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Some of the stuff that doesn't sound great on it's own works just right in a mix.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
MikeTSH
29th October 2008
Old 29th October 2008

I'm aware of that, but in my genre (powerpop to punk pop ish) nothing in the ezDrummer line sounds good - especially when the samples sound AMAZING on the official site but cack in my DAW
29th October 2008
Old 29th October 2008
Gear nut

Send a message via ICQ to gardinen Send a message via AIM to gardinen Send a message via MSN to gardinen
29th October 2008
Old 29th October 2008
The Audio Whisperer

Send a message via Skype™ to donsolo
I'm not 100% familiar with EZdrummer as I'm not a user but I'll tell you this.

I use Battery 1 2 and 3, Kontakt 1, 2 and 3, I've used BFD and DFH, all of them still needed treatment to make them sound good in the mix.

I say you find the one that's closest to the sound you're looking to acheive, program your drums and then start mixing them as if it were a real-live player (IE separate tracks, EQ, little verb if you want on the snare/toms, multiband comp across the bus etc etc etc)

Sounds like you wanted a plug n play experience and IME, it never exists.

My Personal Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
I dont have a playstation so I have to book a big room to get my Metal Gear fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
the secretary at our studio calls Gearslutz

"That stupid website your always on..you know, the one with the bird on the skateboard"
It took 6 years but I think I found my avatar in action: http://imgur.com/gallery/2cNN5
29th October 2008
Old 29th October 2008

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTSH View Post
I'm aware of that, but in my genre (powerpop to punk pop ish) nothing in the ezDrummer line sounds good - especially when the samples sound AMAZING on the official site but cack in my DAW
Well, a lot of "raw" drum tracks would sound cack in a mix, without further processing. Have you ever heard a real close mic on a snare? doesn't sound like a mixed snare drum!

You just need to treat the individual elements of ezDrummer as one might a regular miked up kit. Chances are the demos on the site have been mixed by a top engineer. Keep practicing, reading and experimenting, and eventually you'll get the idea of how to make it sound like you want. As with most of these things, it's usually down to practice and hard work.
29th October 2008
Old 29th October 2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Well, a lot of "raw" drum tracks would sound cack in a mix, without further processing. Have you ever heard a real close mic on a snare? doesn't sound like a mixed snare drum!

You just need to treat the individual elements of ezDrummer as one might a regular miked up kit. Chances are the demos on the site have been mixed by a top engineer. Keep practicing, reading and experimenting, and eventually you'll get the idea of how to make it sound like you want. As with most of these things, it's usually down to practice and hard work.
+1..you can seperate all the drum tracks with ez and process them...parallel compress the shit out of the NV snare and add a little verb and it is gold!!
29th October 2008
Old 29th October 2008
The Audio Whisperer

+1 for extrapolating on my originally, poorly worded thought.
MikeTSH
30th October 2008
Old 30th October 2008

What part of the snare should I parallel compress, the top or the bottom. Also, which one should I add the verb to, the uncompressed snare? I separate all the tracks out evenly atm, should I put top and bottom together or leave them separate?
MikeTSH
30th October 2008
Old 30th October 2008

EDIT: Please delete

Last edited by MikeTSH; 30th October 2008 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: double post
30th October 2008
Old 30th October 2008

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTSH View Post
What part of the snare should I parallel compress, the top or the bottom. Also, which one should I add the verb to, the uncompressed snare? I separate all the tracks out evenly atm, should I put top and bottom together or leave them separate?
what software sequencer are you on?

Anyway...try sending all the drums to a "dry" bus/auxillary channel, then just the close mics (ie no cymbals) to a "compressed" buss - and compress heavily - fast attack, fast release, high ratio - and blend a little of that underneath the dry buss.

experiment with which mics to keep in or out of the compression buss - you may find it's better with only the top snare, inside kick sound etc.

Bear in mind though, that these are getting into more advanced techniques - if you're still quite new to things, you could be trying to pole vault before you can walk.

You can also try heavily compressing the room mics.
30th October 2008
Old 30th October 2008
The Audio Whisperer

One of my favorite drum sounds is from this indie band called Mice Parade, the Tales of Las Negras...

It's like far away stereo overheads but slammed with compression.

But that's an indie sort of sound...

A lot of these parallel compression techniques are so subjective that the responce is "use your ears, try a few options"

Also, gated reverb can work on toms if you dig that sound...
MikeTSH
30th October 2008
Old 30th October 2008

I love gated reverb but I'm sure many will agree it's all to be done in good taste - we can see the nightmare of tom recording the 80s created

I understand now, putting all the close mics to a bus and then compress the cr&p out of it.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

My Cool sound

I use sonar as my DAW and i have a really cool Pop-Rock/Ballad/Fat Snare sound.

Follow these steps:

Open Drumkitfrom Hell expansion

change the snare to 14" Sonor 1

at the bottom of the EZD window there is a button called humanize - turn it off (it slightly alters the sound every time to make it sound more 'human' but some of the humanized snares sound tinny and crap).

go into the EZD mixer and choose the preset : dry

Then add some reverb in your DAW,
MikeTSH
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010

Cheers man. However, in this time, I've bought SD 2.0 and Drumagog - does everything I need it to. Yummy.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search