Why does Neve cost so much more than API?
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Why does Neve cost so much more than API?

I constantly here these two as the top boards to work with, but Neve channels cost like over twice as much?

Why is that? If there is a graph in quality/demand of some kind that a pretty steep slope for the two most mentioned brands in pro audio. Just seems odd to me that Neve is so much more expensive. API marketing wise seems to blend in with other brands much more.
Old 7th May 2008
Died for gear

My guess.... because they can. API is more desired by those in the know, while Neve is desired by those who know that's all they need to know.

A sucker is born every minute.
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

I can't explain the magnitude of the price discrepancy but there are some component and labor differences involved between the two makes. IIRC a 512c module only has an input transformer where a 1073 has mic, line, and output transformers. I don't think it is all price gouging.
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahluk View Post
I can't explain the magnitude of the price discrepancy but there are some component and labor differences involved between the two makes. IIRC a 512c module only has an input transformer where a 1073 has mic, line, and output transformers. I don't think it is all price gouging.
Not to mention the EQ section. You also have to factor in the strength of the pound vs. the dollar.
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

I thought I saw input and output transformers in the A2D as well as the big custom op-amps. Although I understand that's a 312 and not the smaller 512 circuit.
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Neve consoles are made in the UK whereas API is made in the USA...may explain the difference in price in the USA, in part at least...how do they compare pricewise elsewhere?
Old 7th May 2008
Gear maniac

i would think because the api is such a simple circuit, while the neve is much more complex. i don't know if this is always true, but look at the schematics for yourself. to my knowledge, the api pre is one of the easiest to build.
Old 8th May 2008

well, in the UK :

Neve 8801 channel strip : £1695 +vat
API 7600 channel strip : £1700 +vat

Neve 4081 4 channel mic pre : £1950 +vat
API 3124 4 channel mic pre : £1500 +vat

I guess when you consider API is being imported and Neve is already here than yes, it seems Neve is quite a bit more - even though the street prices are similar this end...
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath|Audio View Post
My guess.... because they can. API is more desired by those in the know, while Neve is desired by those who know that's all they need to know.

A sucker is born every minute.
I'm not sure if I follow, but...

If you're saying that only suckers prefer Neve gear over API and are willing to pay for their idiocy, then I call B.S. (no offence intended)
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

Which Neve? & which API?
Old 9th May 2008
Died for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I'm not sure if I follow, but...

If you're saying that only suckers prefer Neve gear over API and are willing to pay for their idiocy, then I call B.S. (no offence intended)
Not saying that at all.

Neve has the bigger name among newbies and seasoned pros. The newbies think they need it so they will pay for it. Ask most newbs about API and most are clueless.

I like the sound of both Neve and API, but I would never buy a Neve branded preamp.

The logic seems to make sense in my head. It goes back to name brand recognition and that is really a big deal. I am off on my conspiracy theories again, but I may not be *too* far off.
Old 10th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsonic View Post
Which Neve? & which API?
I don't really know. I guess I'd be referencing the most popular models since this thread is regarding market heresay.

All I've really tried was a Vintech 1272. I liked it. I just figure for the price that Neve cost it makes my mind wonder to other needs.
Old 10th May 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath|Audio View Post
Not saying that at all.

Neve has the bigger name among newbies and seasoned pros. The newbies think they need it so they will pay for it. Ask most newbs about API and most are clueless.

I like the sound of both Neve and API, but I would never buy a Neve branded preamp.

The logic seems to make sense in my head. It goes back to name brand recognition and that is really a big deal. I am off on my conspiracy theories again, but I may not be *too* far off.
You kinda lost me there, I get the newbie infatuation, but it is mostly due the the fact that it is actually favored by the seasoned pro's. Fact is that many pro's still will swear by a 1073/81 for critical use. and countless records were made with these. sure, these same pro's could still perform with an alesis 3630 and a mackie board, but given the choice... I totally agree that few newbies know what the hell api is. Sh*t, i didn't know before 4 years ago, but now i'm a believer. I guess I'm also curious about the original question of the post, Why is API not valued as much as neve??

crap, I hope this thread doesn't trigger a price inflation in api format modules.. i still have along way to fill lunch box
Old 10th May 2008
Lives for gear

Bigger knobs. Also Neve weighs more. As good a reasons as any.
Old 19th May 2008
Gear maniac

I think it has more to do with what another post said. Most of the Neve's come w/ and EQ section. That's enough to double the price. Also, the common 500 series API pres are cheap because they need an external power supply. This is brilliant tho because it allows you to get multiple pres and save on buying the power supply only once. They are a smart company.....just look at all the 500 series obsessions around here. Neve is sweet too tho. Fo sho!
Old 21st May 2008
Gear addict

there are four letters in neve
three in api
solved
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Well, API just took a price increase on alot of their products, so they're slowly closing the gap. I bought a pair of 560's just in the nick of time.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search