emptyman
16th January 2008
Old 16th January 2008
Gear maniac

Things the Liquid Channel taught me

1. If something is too good to be true, it probably isn't
2. Latency is annoying
3. Digital EQ sucks
4. Microphone choice and placement changes sound more than choice of preamp (provided the preamp is "high end")
5. Digital gear depreciates in value quickly

Having said that, the LC is a cool tool for tracking via AES to DAW at the highest sample rate, if only for the convenience of using the on-screen Liquid Control panel.

The LC is also very quiet, its preamp has tons of gain, and the recallable settings are very convenient.

For me, that convenience came at too high a price sonically, and I am much happier with both my Sebtron vmp-4000e and Daking Mic Pre-EQ.
17th January 2008
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

I have one on loan right now to test. I find it doesn't work for common applications as well as my other pres. The only time I liked it was when I was experimenting more with odd mics. I've been putting it through the paces for the last week. I find that my LA610 an Germanium outshine it on just about everything. I guess if I had a bunch of money sitting around and wanted to try a different flavor every now and then, it would work. But this is definitely not a "go to" preamp at all. The Nashville setting worked once for a vocalist on a particular song, but my LA610 and Germanium blew it away on EVERYTHING else.
C - 214.471.9563
kdeal@gcpro.com
http://www.gcpro.com/
17th January 2008
Old 17th January 2008
member no 666

It taught me that H.L. Mencken was a spot on genius!!!
17th January 2008
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Things the Liquid Channel taught me...

That Focusrite can put out a product that is actually worse than the green series.

"Run to the hills, run for your lives."
-Iron Maiden
17th January 2008
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Guru

I wonder if at any time during the design phase, someone looked up, shook their head, and muttered, "Yeah, okay... but..."

mountaintop@taconic.net

www.joelpatterson.us
17th January 2008
Old 17th January 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
That Focusrite can put out a product that is actually worse than the green series.
Other than noise, bad reliability, cheap parts, bad manufacturing, horrible support and harshness, what was wrong with the green series?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
your first mistake was even buying that girl a ring. you know you coulda probably got some nice preamps with that money...
18th January 2008
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Well, after spending more time with this preamp, it's a door stop. It's lifeless. It sucks. Period. Spending $2000 on hookers would sound better than this.
18th January 2008
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

the EQ is very unimpressive and doesn't feel natural to use. I use it sparingly.

the compression sounds ok, but again, the feel is a little "off" and I don't know how to describe it.

frankly, i think the mic preamp models are pretty dang good. i think the preamp itself is a pretty good design even in the flat mode, the models are icing on the cake. doing it all over again, i probably would have bought something else, but i don't dislike it and find it very useful, especially when i have time to experiment and try different models. my use of some of the models inspired to buy some of the "real things" to expand my mic pre amps.

i think people just love to bash focusrite. remember, its not the tool, its the user that ultimately decides how good the final product is.
18th January 2008
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainstages View Post
i think people just love to bash focusrite. remember, its not the tool, its the user that ultimately decides how good the final product is.
i was hoping someone would say this.
emptyman
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainstages View Post
Oh, I agree. I think the mistake I made was thinking that the LC could be my diamond go-to main preamp, and it simply isn't up to the task, at least not in my set-up. I even did the LC preamp shootout here in the audio file forum and thought the preamps sounded pretty good as well. Still, for the money, my Daking Mic Pre/EQ and Sebatron vmp-4000e sound more "real" to me...maybe just because they are (and I do like the Focusrite preamp sound on breathy brit-pop vocals).
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Gear maniac

I have no time to check through Focusrite's Website, but they should make 8 channels of Liquid Preamps, with built in A/D D/A,ADAT and AES I/O, Clock and a pretty, pretty Digital Interface on the front panel.

Or, they should quit trying to force Liquid(insert keyphrase here) down out throats.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search