Slater
30th September 2007
Old 30th September 2007
Gear nut

Would you work at Guitar Center?

30th September 2007
Old 30th September 2007
Gear maniac

i wouldn't choose to work there but any job using your skills that you have honed is one that you shouldn't feel disgraced about. at least you are near your tools and working with a medium which you love. as far as job's go it's kind of like playing in a cover band but at least you have found work. i have no idea how fairly they treat their employees though.
Slater
30th September 2007
Old 30th September 2007
Gear nut

The discussion in the blog post is interesting... seeing the money breakdown, etc...
30th September 2007
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm starting on Tuesday, I'll be in ProAudio. I'm not really looking for a big pay day of course, I'm looking for the big discounts. I'll be running my studio mostly overnight and working GC during the day. I live and breathe gear and hoping to be one of the few that can actually help people instead of pushing Presonus and Audix all day.
30th September 2007
Old 30th September 2007
Gear maniac

The thing i hated the most while working in a guitar shop (years ago) was coming home and not wanting to grab a guitar anymore.....
30th September 2007
Old 30th September 2007
Gear maniac

no

too many morons

the pro audio dept is probably the best place to be though...
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Audionaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
I'm looking for the big discounts.
Duuuude! get a bunch or Presonus, it's the INDUSTRY STANDARD!
Worked in the "pro audio" department about 11 years ago. It was pretty miserable. Best deals I got:
AKG drum pack (D-112, and (2) clip on mini condensers) $100
used RSP Tube Saturator (anyone remember this one?) $50
used Intersound IVP $50

Not really worth my 6 months there though. Enjoyed my High School retail experience at Ace Hardware much more. Good luck.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

I did music retail for about 2 years around 1993-94.
It kinda sucks.

If I wanted to be a salesman I would choose an industry where I had a snowball's chance in hell of making good money- music retail isn't that career.
The margins are too tight and especially with ebay being around these days I imagine it is much worse.

I'd have to be really desperate to go back to doing that again.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionaut View Post
Duuuude! get a bunch or Presonus, it's the INDUSTRY STANDARD!
Worked in the "pro audio" department about 11 years ago. It was pretty miserable. Best deals I got:
AKG drum pack (D-112, and (2) clip on mini condensers) $100
used RSP Tube Saturator (anyone remember this one?) $50
used Intersound IVP $50

Not really worth my 6 months there though. Enjoyed my High School retail experience at Ace Hardware much more. Good luck.

Well it might work different now. The store manager says the discount applies to just about everything in the store and he even gave me some examples from gear I chose. I won't give the numbers out here but it was pretty exciting.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

i live in Arizona, and G.C. is the only music store around that has anything really,
and they're 1.5 hours away in phoenix.

its what you make of it, i guess...

there's a good amount of ego there, and wannabe face-melting guitar soloists around every corner, but other than that its really not so bad.

especially when its all you got!

ive seen some cool drum DVD's in the drum department.

1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Harmless Wacko

Nigel Tufnel voice:

"I dunno... what are the hours?"

SM.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

At $7.15 base pay, it'll start to suck when you have to bust your ass to sell DOD pedals, Squier guitar packages, and other crap just to try to get your commission for the week. Plus, if your commission doesn't pass your weekly base pay...then you're getting about $250 a week.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Guru

Those guys may not be the cream of the crop for answers etc, but there is no way i would take a job and work the hrs they do and have to bust your ass and depend on the end results, who knows what that could be $$ wise. You have to be a great salesman and more important have enough traffic.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cryst...94900103883659
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Back in the 80's a buddy of mine was bustin' his hump in the drum section of our GC. I remember thinking someday he's gonna find a real job. I just found out yesterday that he's now a VP for Guitar Center - so i guess he did.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Banned

WORK there?

Man! I can hardly even walk in a GC the first place!

$250 per week?
Is that Gross?
What is it after taxes?

I hope you live close 'cause that isn't even gas and lunch money!
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Those guys may not be the cream of the crop for answers etc, but there is no way i would take a job and work the hrs they do and have to bust your ass and depend on the end results, who knows what that could be $$ wise. You have to be a great salesman and more important have enough traffic.

Trust me it's not worse than my usual day job, which was selling homes. You don't even get the 7.15 with that. It's either you sell a house or you don't get paid and until this recent housing bust in the STL I was doing great. Now, luckily, I'm usually busy enough recording to pay the bills and I usually record overnight which works out nice. I find your comment about the hours they work kinda funny, it's 40hrs a week, like most regular jobs.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

250 a week? I don't think thats true. I know a couple guys that used to work at GC in Boston and they were makin like 45-50k a year. Not bad for retail
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Gear maniac

I used to work for those cocksuckers. I was a sales manager.

At the store I worked at you made 5.15 an hour base pay. The commission was a draw you made 2% of gross sales...and 10% of gross profit.

They subtract your hourly from your commission what is left over is given to you.

But here's the thing. The commission check is considered tip/extra wages...so you get taxed 35% on it...and they tax you for the full amount of commission before they subtract the hourly.

So to whoever those guys in Boston were making 45-50K a year....they must have been blowing people in the bathroom because you"d have to sell 100,000++ consistantly in a MONTH at LEAST to bring that home and that's not talking pro audio where the highest profit margin is 20% if you're lucky... that is definitely not happening often I guarantee that.

When I left the highest salesman in the company was some dude who sold over 2 million in Gross sales...he sold pro audio equipment at almost cost to a third wrld country...just a lucky phone call...made 70,000 in commission.

But on the bright side of things....there will be over 149 stores nationwide by 2009. My store had 38 employees leave in less than a year.

fuuckfuuck
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

LOL.. holy shit guys, I was actually a bit in the dumps today but these posts had me laughing for a good 20 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
WORK there?
Man! I can hardly even walk in a GC the first place!

$250 per week?
Is that Gross?
What is it after taxes?

I hope you live close 'cause that isn't even gas and lunch money!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prismtheory View Post
I used to work for those cocksuckers. I was a sales manager...

So to whoever those guys in Boston were making 45-50K a year....they must have been blowing people in the bathroom....

fuuckfuuck
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Gear maniac

I worked there for 3 months......

Worse job I ever had......and I've also worked at a shoe store.....

only good thing about that job is the discount. Seriously debated buying gear at cost and just ebaying the hell out of it.......
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007

Quote:
5:09:55 PM John: the commission rate is 2% of gross sales, plus 10% of net sales
This is misleading... it's 10% of the net profit... not net sales.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

I make way more in my day job than I ever could in any area of music. Fortunately I love what I do for a living as much as I love music.

So, nope. GC would be out for me.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Banned

I have an old friend who is a STRONG Texas rock/blues guitar player who has played about a jillion club gigs who worked at GC for a short time.
He ended up there as a stop-gap thing because his inlaws sold the billiards accesory store he had worked at for years and years.

He was SOOOOOOOO embarrased when I walked in and saw him!

He told me that it was going to VERY short-lived because it wasn't enough money to even warrant driving his car about ten miles and back!
A month later he wasn't there.
(Wait... am I admiting that I was there TWICE within a month's time?)

Plus... a discount on that stuff?
pffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do they have you'd want?
Seriously!
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to bunnerabb
I did.

For three days.

I repent in sackcloth and ashes.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
pffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously!
The store near me actually carries a lot of high end gear, they have to order a lot of it, but they get the entire Manley line, Blue, SSL Xrack, etc. Lots there to want, you'll just have to work a 2nd job to buy any of it, even with the discount (since you won't make shit working there).
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have an old friend who is a STRONG Texas rock/blues guitar player who has played about a jillion club gigs who worked at GC for a short time.
He ended up there as a stop-gap thing because his inlaws sold the billiards accesory store he had worked at for years and years.

He was SOOOOOOOO embarrased when I walked in and saw him!

He told me that it was going to VERY short-lived because it wasn't enough money to even warrant driving his car about ten miles and back!
A month later he wasn't there.
(Wait... am I admiting that I was there TWICE within a month's time?)

pffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously!
Yeah, I mean they don't sell any mics I'd be interested in or any software I'd be interested in. All their keyboards are crap and their Mesa's are probably bstock.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to Tibbon
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
250 a week? I don't think thats true. I know a couple guys that used to work at GC in Boston and they were makin like 45-50k a year. Not bad for retail
The 550 Boston GC store has about 40-45 employees at any given time. The top 5 might make 45K+/year, not including the Sales Manager, Ops Manager and Store Manager. Below #10 and down, you're probably just breaking draw by a few dollars. Below #20, you're at min wage. I worked there for a while, and unless something seriously has changed, I am very serious that those were the numbers from the sales roster.

The best deals from GC can come not from working there, but from having a good friend or connection there. I am serious. You can't just buy used gear on a whim there. Actually you aren't supposed to buy it generally at all. Anything over $500 purchase has to be cleared by the regional manager.

Have a friend that works there, and work a real job instead. They can ***** the gear out for anything they like nearly if they are an AM/DM or above. And then go to the stupid 'fire sales' that they have. That's when you can get stuff like a Urei 1176 for $500 and other crazy deals that I can't even express. The Boston GC is very good for this.

It is very very hard to count on consistently high sales. They happen on occasion, but it's on and off.

If you're going to take a min wage job, intern at a studio
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
Yeah, I mean they don't sell any mics I'd be interested in or any software I'd be interested in. All their keyboards are crap and their Mesa's are probably bstock.
They don't have bad gear all the time. Have you been to the NYC/LA/Boston/Nashville stores? What mics do you want that they can't get?

I personally think their keyboards are lacking, but that's because all I want is basically esoteric (whatever Analogue Haven has).

You can't generally get ANY discount on Mesa stuff. Or Apple. Or Monster.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
This is misleading... it's 10% of the net profit... not net sales.
In addition, it's not always those percentages. I started in accessories and mine was 10% and 3%. I was good friend with the Sales Manager that hired me (somewhat as on odd favor to another friend that is beyond explanation here). I moved to Keyboards/Pro Audio and I can't recall if they changed it or not. I think I stayed at 10/3 the entire time I was there- not that it helped me much.
1st October 2007
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismtheory View Post
When I left the highest salesman in the company was some dude who sold over 2 million in Gross sales...he sold pro audio equipment at almost cost to a third wrld country...just a lucky phone call...made 70,000 in commission.
Yep, that sale was either pure and dumb luck, or a story pumped up (and possibly made up) by upper management to encourage the "You can do it too!" attitude.

At GC they try to say if you don't sell a ton then it's because you're bad at sales. I'm damn good at sales, and show it at my current job, but GC just sucks.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search