American Idol Gives back...sham ???
New Reply
Subscribe
A33
2nd May 2007
Old 2nd May 2007
Gear addict

American Idol Gives back...sham ???

" Fox, which donated 10 cents (7 euro cents) for every phoned vote. The network capped its donation at 50 million votes, resulting in a $5 million purse. "

Does anyone else think American Idol should have at least donated 50% of all priofit made from the Idol gives back show .....

Has this been questioned at all in America?

I cant imagine 2.5 million dollars making much of a dent in Africa or America...

The most they were ever going to give was 5 million $ because they capped it...

Can this be right?
2nd May 2007
Old 2nd May 2007
Lives for gear

I guess that's one way to look at it. Of course the other way to look at it is that they, using their massive popularity among the younger set, have raised 70-million so far. Of course $70m won't solve any of the worlds problems - but as with the man who walked along th beach throwing the starfish back into the sea - it WILL make a difference to some!!!

Also, while AI is probably one of the biggest money makers on television right now and as such could undoubtably have given more - they didn't have to hold a fundraiser at all - they could have done what most television and music entities do all the time - keep ALL of the money while making the rest of us feel that WE aren't doing enough. Sort of like the starts who tell us we need to do more to eliminate Global Warming while they drive their Hummer to their private jet so they can take a holiday away from their multi-million dollar homes.
A33
2nd May 2007
Old 2nd May 2007
Gear addict

No it wont but it is a lot better than 5million and will help a large number of people ....

I didn't realise there was fundraising aswell....

When i saw what looked like they had only raised 5 mill i thought tutt
2nd May 2007
Old 2nd May 2007
Gear Head

I'm not sure your origional quote is correct... there was a company that night who said they would donate 10 cents per vote up to 5 million....

but that was a donation from a company.. not fox..

suposedly they raised 70 million in total...

to me that seems pretty good.
A33
2nd May 2007
Old 2nd May 2007
Gear addict

iTunes Store Positions American Idol Charity Downloads

American Idol fans can now download and donate, thanks to a fresh offering on the iTunes Store. The digital download destination is now positioning performances from American Idol Gives Back, a recent benefit concert featuring Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani, Earth, Wind & Fire, Celine Dion, Hugh Grant, Josh Groban, and others. The downloads will benefit anti-poverty campaigns in both the United States and Africa. The funds are being distributed across a number of charitable organizations, including Second Harvest, the Boys & Girls Club, and the Charity Projects Entertainment Fund. Others are also part of the campaign, including Fox, which donated 10 cents (7 euro cents) for every phoned vote. The network capped its donation at 50 million votes, resulting in a $5 million purse. Elsewhere, Ellen DeGeneres contributed $100,000 to the cause, edging the dollar value towards $6 million. Donations from the iTunes feature last through May.

Story by news analyst Alexandra Osorio.

So that fox's donation on top of the mony raised........ Thjat sounds more like it thumbsup
3rd May 2007
Old 3rd May 2007
Lives for gear

Yea, so OK, I watched AI last night, and yes that said that they had crossed to 70 Million mark (ie $70,000,000.00) and still counting.... that's pretty good, especially for such a short period of time.

GearGuy
3rd May 2007
Old 3rd May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Funny and insightful blog postings about AIGB...

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search