Stupid things you've been told at Guitar Center
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

OK...since this is turning into a total ripping of GC, let me start by using an actual name there for a great story. If you need anything in Dallas, you can go to the Central Dallas store, I forget the number, but talk to Chad Allen. He's very honest, a real player from way back. He's a guitar/bass guy but knows a little about the other departments. He won't try to BS you when he doesn't know. Anyway, great guy...ask for him.

Now on to the stories. I used to work at a GC for a year or so and it was an upstairs/downstairs situation. I was upstairs in drums and when it was slow, we'd call the Guitar Accessory counter and get new guys on the phone.We'd ask for left handed strings and watch them scan the wall looking for them. Another favorite was left handed drumsticks, but that's a bit more obvious. The strings one will get them everytime on the phone.

I don't mind some of the stupidity at these stores though...how many deals have you gotten b/c they don't really know what they're talking about? I've picked up many things that were grossly under-priced.

later,

m
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear Head

If anyone here in North Jersey knows Victors House Of Music on Rt 17...they just got bought out by the GC. It is a sad day.

Last week I had asked a GC employee if they had a Stereo Pair of some condensers.....the response was:

"Stereo Pair, does that mean like, 2 of them?"
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Obsessed View Post
No, I'm just Little Timmy's court appointed guardian for the purposes of protecting his rights and interests when he and his hot Mommy walk into GC for a geeetar...

TJ
You didn't mention Little Timmy had a hot mom! I'm on Timmy's side now too
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
You didn't mention Little Timmy had a hot mom! I'm on Timmy's side now too

Thought that might make a difference to ya... Now you can see why Timmy's best interests are so important...

TJ
Attached Thumbnails
Stupid things you've been told at Guitar Center-mommy.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Obsessed View Post
No, I'm just Little Timmy's court appointed guardian for the purposes of protecting his rights and interests when he and his hot Mommy walk into GC for a geeetar...

TJ
Mutemath
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Brand new from today:

"Do you have Neutrik 48 point patchbays?"
"Uh... pointed patch bays?"
"Sure"
"How do you spell that?
"n e u t r i k"
"Nordic?"
"No Neutrik"
"2 "n's?"
"No, one 'n' it's N E U T R I K"
"Are you sure its not nordic?"
"Yes I'm positive"
"Ok we have one in transit but it might be here let me look in the back" ...............
(Returns 4 min later)
"No we dont have one but can I have your name and number and I'll call you back when it comes in?"
"I really need it today but thanks"
"Ok, make sure to ask for me when you call again'
"Ok, no problem Thanks"
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear nut

Wow guys... Luckily ever since I started collecting gear I've had good experiences in my local store, so I'm really surprised at all the horror stories. I just want to say that the Guitar Center on rt18 in East Brunswick, NJ has some of the most knowledgeable and courteous salesmen I've ever seen in a music store. John and Rick in pro audio and Mike in keys and Randy in drums are always helpful to me and are never pressuring. Rick and John have been working there since the store opened in '99. Take a stop in if you're in the area.
The store itself is large and well-maintained, and has a great selection of gear new and used.
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear Guru

Smile

ok, i'll take the bait.

about 2 years ago, not aware that gc's 'pro audio' didn't carry, or know, sh*t:

me: can i speak with pro audio?.............. [yeah, right]
gc moron: this is pro audio............. [yeah, right]

me: i'm looking for a pair of professional large diaphragm, and if possible, multi-pattern mics
gc moron: like what?

me: well, what do you guys have in stock?
gc moron: ummm, i'm not sure, can you tell me who makes those mics?

me: ok, well, soundelux, manley, blue, neumann, even GT, whatever you have ?
gc moron: ummm, i'm not sure, let me look here on the computer....

[tick, tock, tick, tock.......tick, tock, tick, tock.......]

gc moron: ummm, i'm not sure, i'm not seeing anything here....
me: ok, well, just give me whatever you have - do you guys have ANY AKG 414s in stock - any version - i don't care, new, used, on sale, whatever?

gc moron: ummm, i'm not sure, what's a 414?

me: thank you.....[click]

Old 3rd March 2007
Gear interested

Set their Control 24 or Pro Control to Vegas or LED test modes and observe audio natural selection at its finest.
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

I went there to buy an AES breakout cable (d-sub to XLR M/F)... was told...

"There is no such thing as an AES cable, just use this..."

... and tried to sell me a d-sub to 8 female XLR for $175 to hook my digital console to my Lavry Blue Converters.

Not.
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Groove View Post
Set their Control 24 or Pro Control to Vegas or LED test modes and observe audio natural selection at its finest.

nice

Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

A View From The Other Side

I work at Guitar Center and can only give you my point of view.

There are two types of people that work at Guitar Center.

1) Those that attempt to have a career (the people you should buy from)

and

2) Those that want to collect a paycheck (the people you should stay away from)

People with good reputations and loyal customers have careers.

I manage the Pro Audio/Keyboard Department at the Plano, TX store. When I took it over almost two years ago, it was a joke. The best preamp we had at the time was a Eureka. I'm not saying that it's a bad preamp. But, at the time, that was the best we had. We could have used more variety. This embarrassed me (our lack of selection). I quickly worked my way into management, so I could have power and feedback. I started ordering better preamps and compressors (SSL, UA, Chandler, Empirical Labs etc) to put in our racks. My goal was to educate our salespeople on "what's good", as well as give our customers some better gear to choose from. Once a week, before we open the doors, I spend thirty minutes with my Pro Audio crew. I educate them as much as I can on what makes high end gear "high end". I also tell them that if they don't know the answer to a question, ask me. If I don't know, I will ask someone else. If I catch them lying to sell a product, I will chew their ass out. I tell them to sell the right thing the first time. If they do that, profit won't matter. If you sell people the right thing the first time ALWAYS, customers will come pouring in.

My philosophy has always been to help people with their problems and sell what they need. I don't really attach the fact that I work for a major corporation. I'm blunt with customers and they respect me for it. If I feel that a customer doesn't know what they're talking about, I do try to steer them in an ethical way. The biggest reason why I try to steer them: I try to minimize the chance that they will return what they buy by selling them the right thing.

Now time for me to complain about stupid customers. I know most of you on this board are very knowledgable with Pro Audio, but you may not realize how clueless some customers are. Time for me to share my side.

People who buy things and return them are a waste of my time. Do your research or else let me help you. Those are the worst customers. They don't let me qualify them into the right thing. Defining the right thing is easy. You take it home. You love it. You keep it. Then you come back and buy everything else from me because I was honest with you and really do care that you get joy out of the gear that I sell you. I don't care about profit centers. I'll make my money. I'm the top salesman at my store because I get "it". I make my customers happy and sell them good stuff. You'll never see me pushing certain products because I am a GS and know better.

I do not like customers that feel that they are entitled to things. If you're cool to me and carry on a conversation with me, you'll probably get a discount. My regulars always get a hookup. You alway give me your money, so I always give you a price break. It's a trade off.

Here's my favorite conversation

(customer walks up to counter, puts Behringer mixer on the counter and asks)

CUSTOMER: What can you do for me on this Xenyx?
ME: Well, why do you want a Behringer?
C: These are awesome and cheap
M: Have you considered any other possibilities for a mixer? We have other brands that I would be willing to show you.
C: Oh yeah, I know these are good
M: How many mixers have you actually used?
C: Um. ... . . um . . . . I just like that it's cheap
M: Cool (rolls eyes). So the price tag says $109.99. Did you need some cables to go with that? I would definately suggest our extended warranty since you're insisting to go with a Behringer.
C: No thanks on the warranty. It's not going to breakfuuck . So how much are you going to give this to me for?
M: $109.99
C: That's not good enough, I know you can do better
(Now I cover up my name badge and say)
M: What's my name?
C: Huh???
M: I said, what's my name?
C: I don't know
M: So you don't know what my name is, yet you want me to take money off this mixer?
C: Uh, um yeah....
M: I could take money off this, but I'm on comission and like making money. I'm not going to take any money out of my pocket because you feel entitled to a discount. You probably don't even know, or respect, how I make my money. That's not really any of my concern. But, as it stands now, you cannot even say my first name. I don't know you, you don't care to learn anything about me. You don't care that I'm trying to get you into better gear that will last you and long time and bring you a lot of joy.

(The customer gets pissed off and leaves)

If love pulling that on jerk customers. A lot of times they get pissed off and leave. But I will always go out of my way to remind them that I am human and they should not feel that they're entitled to anything until they recognize that I'm not just some idiot salesman and I genuinely care about getting them into good gear. Meanwhile my customers with taste and open minds get hooked up all the time. I love to shoot the shit with customers. I'm not pushy. I make my customers comfortable and then they eventually tell me what they want without me ever having to ask.

My favorite story was when a customer returned an MBox 2 saying "I couldn't get this. It's over my head. Do you have any programs that are easier?" The salesperson responds "Well, sir all programs are going to have a learning curve". Then the customer responds "What's a learning curve?" . . . . . . . . certified moron

What a lot of people on this board don't realize is that for every one gearslut that walks into Guitar Center, the other 200 customers don't have that much gear knowledge. Because I'm employed for the company, I cannot comment on the intelligence of some of our employees, but I think you can draw your own conclusios. But at my store, I screen hardcore for my department. I ask gear-related questions in interviews. If they cannot tell me about the gear, I won't hire them. I don't care how well they can sell. They need to respect the gear that they sell.

BTW, if you guys ever need something from Guitar Center, and you're not happy with your local GC, PM me on this site. I can get you anything we sell without you having to set foot in the store. You can call my store and ask for Kevin. I care about good gear. I like getting my customers into good gear. I'll give any fellow GS the pro hookup. I'm sorry you guys have had such bad experiences with GC. You'll never get that kind of treatment in my neck of the woods. I realize that I'm shamelessly promoting myself, but I like cool gear and love to see others with cool gear. I also feel that there are many at GC that are like me and care. It's unfortunate that a lot of you got bad service. As a representative of the company I apoligize. Much respect guys/gals. I love some of the stories in this thread.
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I'm one of you.
no offense, dude, but wtf are you doing working for GC?

oh, and btw - isn't it your job to sell behringer, as well as anything else?

i mean, seriously, is that NOT part of your JOB?

couldn't you, and / or gc, be sued for trashing behringer at this public forum?

i'm not trying to be a dick - i think your attitude is GREAT -
for the most part - you EXUDE customer service..

except for insulting customers and chasing them out of your store,
which i doubt your employers could be too thrilled about either, if they knew....

and, i'm just a little confused about how you think it's professional salesmanship
to publically bash one of your own big seller products,

even if some general consensus among high end professionals, is that it does suck...

as it happens, even though many people are always trashing behringer,
there are ACTUALLY some SERIOUS professionals who use and even LIKE some behringer products

in fact, i was just reading an article in which one of our current high end loudspeaker designers
was espousing the virtues of the new behringer power amps. maybe linkwitz?
the article talked about the solid chassis, and very efficient and even power usage / distribution, etc.

a close friend who's into serious hi fi, ordered these power amps, and has been VERY happy with them.

go figure.....

(personally, the only b. products i've ever been remotely happy with, are their DIs -
even though they're a tiny bit noisy, and the battery compartment flaps are designed badly -
i use 2 of them for a stereo live guitar set up. i've had nothing but nightmare experiences
with any of their mixers).

Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve 413 View Post
If anyone here in North Jersey knows Victors House Of Music on Rt 17...they just got bought out by the GC."
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
no offense, dude, but wtf are you doing working for GC,

oh, and btw - isn't it your job to sell berhinger, as well as anything else?

i mean, seriously, is that NOT part of your JOB?

couldn't you, and / or gc, be sued for trashing behringer at this public forum?

i'm not trying to be a dick - i think your attitude is GREAT -
for the most part - you EXUDE customer service..

except for insulting customers and chasing them out of your store,
which i doubt your employers could be too thrilled about either, if they knew....

and, i'm just a little confused about how you think it's professional salesmanship
to publically bash one of your own big seller products,

even if it the general consensus amoung many professionals, is that it does suck...

as it happens, even though many people are always trashing behringer,
there are ACTUALLY some SERIOUS professionals who use and even LIKE some behringer products

in fact, i was just reading an article in which one of our current high end speaker designers
was espousing the virtues of the new behringer power amps. maybe linquist?

a close friend who's into serious hi fi, ordered these power amps, and has been VERY happy with them.

go figure.....

(personally, the only b. products i've ever been remotely happy with, are their DIs -
even though they're a tiny bit noisy, and the battery compartment flaps are designed badly -
i use 2 of them for a stereo live guitar set up. i've had nothing but nightmare experiences
with any of their mixers).

It's not that bad of a job. I actually like it. Plus, I get a lot of networking done there.

My point was not that I hate Behringer products. I just tend to like other products more. My point was that I don't like it when jerks come in there and expect me to give them a hookup. I used the Behringer mixer as an example of what a customer typically brings to the counter that has not been "qualified". Sometimes the customer really doesn't know what they want. Sometimes they really do need a Behringer. They just look at the price and that's it. The "B" word reference is an inside joke that most Gearslutz probably think is funny. I probably sell a few Behringer mixers everyday. It's right for some. If the customer decides that this is what they want, then great. Some of them have had great things to say about their Xenyx mixers. But whether you're buying a Xenyx or a U87, you gotta remember that your salesman is human. I also realize that my customers are human. A lot of times I have to keep quiet when a customer gets angry, but we all have our stories.

I rarely drive customers out of my store. Sometimes people come in with an agenda though. A lot of them decide before they come in that they're going to make a scene. I'm in management. I get it pretty much daily.

Anyway, sorry if it came off like I was bashing products. I was really trying to highlight some of the crazies that I deal with on a day to day basis. I
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear nut

Couple years ago I went to GC looking for an acoustic bass and decided to go with a Tacoma Chief.

Salesdude is ringing it up and after staring blankly at the computer screen for a bit says "Uhh, we sold the hardshell case that your bass comes with and nobody ordered a new one. If you want we can put one on order and loan you a different brand case until yours comes in."

Me: "OK"

He goes and gets the only hardshell case they have in stock but the Chief is physically bigger than your average acoustic bass and is too big for the case.

Dude: "No problem, I'll get a gig bag"

Again, the Chief is too big for the gig bag.

Dude: "This gig bag just needs to stretch a little, thats all" and proceeds to wrestle it in the bag and yank on the zipper with all his might to get it closed.

Me thinking to myself: "This can't be good."

I get home and take the bass out of the gig bag. It now has a deep gash across the front about 4" long from the zipper.

I call him up and say "You scratched the sh!t out of my bass when you put it in the gig bag!"

Dude: "No problem, just put some lemon oil on the scratch, it'll take it right out."

Not gonna take the advice of a complete idiot so I email Tacoma tech support and told them what happened. They write back "DO NOT PUT LEMON OIL ON YOUR BASS!!! IT WILL DO NOTHING FOR THE SCRATCH AND WILL LEAVE A BIG STAIN THAT YOU'LL NEVER GET OUT!!" The bass has a cedar top, btw.

I ended up taking the bass back and explained what happened to the manager. He just shook his head and gave me a full refund.
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandk View Post
Couple years ago I went to GC looking for an acoustic bass and decided to go with a Tacoma Chief.

Salesdude is ringing it up and after staring blankly at the computer screen for a bit says "Uhh, we sold the hardshell case that your bass comes with and nobody ordered a new one. If you want we can put one on order and loan you a different brand case until yours comes in."

Me: "OK"

He goes and gets the only hardshell case they have in stock but the Chief is physically bigger than your average acoustic bass and is too big for the case.

Dude: "No problem, I'll get a gig bag"

Again, the Chief is too big for the gig bag.

Dude: "This gig bag just needs to stretch a little, thats all" and proceeds to wrestle it in the bag and yank on the zipper with all his might to get it closed.

Me thinking to myself: "This can't be good."

I get home and take the bass out of the gig bag. It now has a deep gash across the front about 4" long from the zipper.

I call him up and say "You scratched the sh!t out of my bass when you put it in the gig bag!"

Dude: "No problem, just put some lemon oil on the scratch, it'll take it right out."

Not gonna take the advice of a complete idiot so I email Tacoma tech support and told them what happened. They write back "DO NOT PUT LEMON OIL ON YOUR BASS!!! IT WILL DO NOTHING FOR THE SCRATCH AND WILL LEAVE A BIG STAIN THAT YOU'LL NEVER GET OUT!!" The bass has a cedar top, btw.

I ended up taking the bass back and explained what happened to the manager. He just shook his head and gave me a full refund.

Old 3rd March 2007
Gear maniac

Haha!

I work at GC Boston and am loving this thread. Keep it coming!
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagleson View Post
Haha!

GC Plano 447 represent
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagleson View Post
Haha!

Yup, used to live in Boston and have one for you from a "GC to the North".

Background: My Buddy was a manager there, told me to come in for a deal on a Gretsch Falcon and when I got there, he had left early. So, I called him, and he said pass your cell phone to _ _ _ we'll call him "Arse" and proceeds to fill him in so I could get it done right then and there. GREAT Price and he's a bud. What could go wrong?

* After hours of trying to find "the perfect Falcon", I select one and ask him where the HSC is. BTW: Of all the Falcons I tried, this was the only one that sounded great unplugged and tone starts with a well balanced and acoustically sound instrument, right?

Well, here we go...

Me: Where's the case?
GC Mook: I'll get it... Be right back and brings the HSC to the floor.
Me: Dude, this case doesn't fit the Falcon. Are you sure this is the right case? I have other Gretsch guitars and they use TKL cases and slip right in
GC Mook: No, this is it. I just went and got it. We're cool.
Me: Then why can't I insert the guitar into the case. The bout is too wide on the guitar for THIS CASE!
GC Mook: Because it may have shrunk (from shipping). It could also be extreme humidity and it's been here for a while ( it was Winter, BTW). It could also be from a different Falcon 'cause we put them out and stack the cases. No problem, we're cool. (DIFFERNT FALCON???) So now he said We'll just have to tug on it like a new pair of jeans-- we'll just stuff it in there and we'll close the lid. It'll expand!
Me: No! Wait! STOP! Isn't that a Falcon case over there? Let me check. Wait.
GC Mook: I don't think so... Same case.

Now, while I'm going to get it, he stuffs the Falcon into the case and tries to close the lid!!! FYI: There were 2 different Falcons at the time BUT it's the size of the f-holes, inlays, etc. SAME BODY SPECS!!

ME: I scream STOP! and go over to him. Further, the Bigsby would not allow the case to shut and because of the side-tension, the latches would not latch! NICE!
GC Mook: See, that's all it needed!
Me: WHAT?? That's not gonna work for me Dude, and I pull out the guitar. IT DOESN'T FIT!!! The side of the guitar now has a fresh rub /scrape mark on it and I tell him that I won't buy it now because he "man-handled" the guitar.
GC Mook: He gets "pissy" and tells me it will rub off with some spit or polish.
Me: WTF??? Spit??? I start checking things a little closer, look in the case compartment and notice the Gretsch Mfg info. Seems the case was for a 6120 with a 16" bout and 24.6" scale -- NOT for a 17" /25.5" scale FALCON!!! Fricki'n DORK!!!!
GC Mook: That doesn't matter, they are all the same cases.
Me: Dude, the docs says 6120 and that's a problem. Different size guitar!!
GCMook: It's not the case. Someone just put the wrong docs in there... Happens all the time here.
Me: I then point out the physical differences between the Falcon and 6120.
GC Mook: Wow, I never noticed that before. They all seem the same.
ME: No, an inch is a huge difference.
GC Mook: Really? It's only an inch. It'll fit. We fit Les Pauls into SKB cases all the time and they're tight. Just gotta push down on the neck - You're just being "fussy".
Me: WOW!!! I told him no, we're done, I pass and leave the store.

NEXT >
I leave and call my GC mgr buddy, he feels bad and tells me to come back tomorrow when he's working. Then he goes off about how he called the GC mook, told him who I was, what "my" price was, and to let me be. Pissed
dfegad

Sadly, I could not find another that sounded as good as the one I chose and the mark down the side seemed like it would buff with rubbing compund but it was a BLACK Falcon and obvious. And the look is part of a Falcon's allure... At least for me.

Well, my buddy felt so bad he gave me the guitar for cheap $$$. Around $1600'ish. List was $3,400 and they we're selling them for about $2,699 on the floor (my price was $2k before the GCMook trashed it).

So, I said cool, took it home, pulled out the buffer and compound and got about 40% of it out. I ended up going to 800 wetsand paper, buffed it again, polished it, used swirl fill and got 90-95% out within an hour of dikin' around. All in all, pretty good. And it was where my right arm goes. So...

In the end, I got a wicked deal! BUT I WAS LUCKY. MAN, THAT PLACE IS SO FRUSTRATING!!! My buddy left after a few weeks and that was that!

There ya go...

TJ
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear nut

I walk into the NYC store with my "free set of strings, midi cable or guitar cord" postcard. Bought a couple of things and then as I am being rung up, i find my card and ask for the Ernie Balls that I been playing for 25 years.

GC kid... "Oh no, eh haha ... you can't get those strings with that card... you can only get those..." and points up to some string brand I never heard of.

My face said it all, and I started to shove the card back in my pocket. In all fairness, the kid took 3 bucks off the EB strings I wanted because I had the card, so my question to the GC "main office" is, why the hell can't we get the guitar strings we want with the free postcard (...within reason, no bass or 12-string packs obviously...)???
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Originally Posted by bexarametric
My favorite story was when a customer returned an MBox 2 saying "I couldn't get this. It's over my head. Do you have any programs that are easier?" The salesperson responds "Well, sir all programs are going to have a learning curve". Then the customer responds "What's a learning curve?" . . . . . . . . certified moron

........for the most part people throw the terms "moron" and "intelligent" around too frequently without truly understanding their definition. implication, or meaning. Just look them up, you might be surprised, you may learn something, or you may already know. Anyways, my question to you is--do you think this customer was a "certified moron" because he was honest enough to admit that the MBox 2 was over his head, or because he was honest enough to ask what "learning curve" meant?
Maybe gear isn't his forte. After all, that's what you're there for right?Perhaps he's a very talented writer or painter or gardener or?! Besides being a musician and writer, I am also an architect and I certainly wouldn't call you a "certified moron" if you asked me to explain an architectiral or construction term, but apparently for you, this lack of knowledge displays an ignorance that you apparently derive pleasure from!By the way- I know that MENSA is the organization that welcomes individuals with IQ's over 147, could you please tell me about the organization that certifies morons?
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear maniac

i would assume he was talking about the learning curve thing. It's a pretty basic term that I've used and heard used many times in many different fields. It's not a computer only term.

Also, we're on the internet so things are usually said harsher than they really mean.
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

I have to admit the "Behind the counter" guys at GC aren't the sharpest up to date or knowledgable sales guys. I tend to stay far away from these guys. But in the defense of GC, I have been going to my guy at GCPRO for many years now and rarely stray from him (a boutique piece here and there that they can't get in) due to the contiuous excellent service, being straight up and cool, and pricing. I believe most people on this board should know gear fairly well and what they want. Not too many of us need a "Behind the counter" guy. I suggest when you walk into a GC and don't have a slaesman, ask for their GCPRO guy. these guys have been in the company for a long time and know products much better as well as "pro pricing". The guys here at the Sherman Oaks store in CA are great. I highly suggest Robb & Gadget. Just my 2 cents... Cheers

Rob
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteran View Post
i would assume he was talking about the learning curve thing. It's a pretty basic term that I've used and heard used many times in many different fields. It's not a computer only term.

Also, we're on the internet so things are usually said harsher than they really mean.

I understand your point, but to me, the "internet" is not an excuse , one is judged on words and actions. Ofcourse "learning curve" is a common term, but maybe in the context of this guys' story, the customer may have thought that the "learning curve" was a piece of gear! Anyways, for the most part, these are great stories.
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
I have to admit the "Behind the counter" guys at GC aren't the sharpest up to date or knowledgable sales guys. I tend to stay far away from these guys. But in the defense of GC, I have been going to my guy at GCPRO for many years now and rarely stray from him (a boutique piece here and there that they can't get in) due to the contiuous excellent service, being straight up and cool, and pricing. I believe most people on this board should know gear fairly well and what they want. Not too many of us need a "Behind the counter" guy. I suggest when you walk into a GC and don't have a slaesman, ask for their GCPRO guy. these guys have been in the company for a long time and know products much better as well as "pro pricing". The guys here at the Sherman Oaks store in CA are great. I highly suggest Robb & Gadget. Just my 2 cents... Cheers

Rob

Gadget is really knowledgable and patient. I'm in tight with Dave Weiderman at the Sunset location. I've known him forever. One time he hooked me up with Gadget to show me the ICON. He was comfortable to hang out with.......
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Do you have a n Ilok?
We have none of those in stock ... look up on the shelf they are right behind you

-----
My personal fav ordered a guitar that was advertised on sale.
Sorry none in stock as a matter of fact I can see on the computer there are none in any store in California. Got a call 2 weeks later we shpuld have it in 3 months.
Why advertise if it's not even in stock in any any store
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

(the following takes place in the pro audio dept at GC between 5 and 6pm)
Me: Do you guys have any of the Pro Tools HD hardware?

Pro audio sales guy (deer in headlights look): What is Pro Tools?'

that concluded my need for his help.
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear nut

It's not necessarily a GC only thing- the kind of "I'm not in retail, I'm a Music Industry Insider" mentality that I've come across in salespeople, Here in New England there's Daddy's Junky Music- and for a while it was unbearable to even get some guitar strings at the local store.

The counter was on a pedestal, so the customer was 2 feet below eye level, and the snottiness was rampant. I heard customers sworn at, belittled, and was on the receiving end of poor anger management twice myself. I gave up for a couple of years (this after ringing up heavy receipts), until they changed locations, managers, and at least one of the heavier-attitudinal clerks (the one with the choicest list of stupid quotes, not ironically).

Recently it has been a great place to find obscure stuff, and the new and remaining staff are good guys who know enough, and don't pretend to know what they don't know. In general I like to do business there because it is a more or less local thing, vs. the GC onslaught- I try to fund that as little as possible.
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
I suggest when you walk into a GC and don't have a slaesman, ask for their GCPRO guy. these guys have been in the company for a long time and know products much better as well as "pro pricing". The guys here at the Sherman Oaks store in CA are great. I highly suggest Robb & Gadget. Just my 2 cents... Cheers
Rob
A good idea if you have a GC store nearby. Not every store is a GCPRO store. It's a little like the difference between McDonald's and McDonald's Express. On the surface they all look the same, logos...advertising, but they do not carry the same level of products.

By design, GC's are big box stores. If you know what you want and know how much you should pay, you may be able to go into the store, find one that is not broken, and likely get a decent deal.

You are definitely right about being professionally loyal, but that's is the way with most sales/customer relations.

I think the bottom line is that no salesman, knowledgeable, or not, should treat the customer like an idiot. Although, sometimes there are idiots on both sides of the counter.

Btw, I have been told by the kid who sits at the desk, at the entrance/exit of the GC near my house that the best place locally to buy Pro Audio gear is the independent store just down the road...but I already knew that.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search