Stupid things you've been told at Guitar Center
3rd January 2008
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
1. The salespeople wander around. They don't stay put in their own nests, especially when things are quiet.

2. It's a piece of software, a shrink wrapped box.
Look it up on the computer, take my credit card and I'm out of there.

Over the 30+ years I have been in this business, I have learned not to expect too much from Sam Ash, GC etc.

I know what I want BEFORE I go in there and the sales person is simply the guy who has the code to get the register going and process my credit card.

I expect little or nothing more from him/her and this way I am not disappointed.

3. As usual, I wandered around for a while playing with the toys and looking for a sales person before asking.

Maybe that's unique in NY, but that's how the place is here.

I'm sure that knowledgeable people exist in these stores and maybe I am just timing it at the end of the 2 weeks when they are quitting so I miss them and get the ignorant ones instead?

I dunno.
It's much easier to buy online anyhow.
It's just not as much fun.

Yeah there is a bit of wandering going on but the rules of GC are that if someone wants a product that you don't sell in your department they are to be referred to the correct department. If you came into pro audio and told me you wanted a Sabian HHX PowerRide I wouldn't be allowed to do anymore than tell you that we did indeed have one. Yes the guy could've been more helpful but I wouldn't expect a drummer to have a clue about synth software. I know it's a frustrating place sometimes, even I've had my patience tested many times.
3rd January 2008
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
Why are you relying on GC employees to know if something is compatible with what you have? You generally want to do that kind of research on your own.

well sometimes something piques your interest that you had no intention of going in there for...so you kinda get caught on an impulse decision. Doesn't happen often..but since they're so slow at getting you ass outta there..well..these things happen. LOL!
4th January 2008
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Many years ago I worked at GC Sherman Oaks, and someone called and asked for a MIDI to 1/4" cable. The guy I was working with put down the phone and yelled across the store asking me if I knew where they were!!!

Miserable 8 months.
When I worked for MOTU we built a MIDI to 1/4" cable to record the output of USB MIDI interfaces as audio to test their accuracy... but I doubt that's what that guy wanted it for. As my friend "magic dave" once said.. "people like to plug up all their orifices" (on their gear). That guy just had a 1/4" jack and MIDI jack that needed to be plugged up and so what better than a MIDI to 1/4" cable?

Danny Gold
MySpace.com - polystar - BOSTON, Massachusetts - Alternative / Electronica / Folk Rock - www.myspace.com/polystarmusic
4th January 2008
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Obsessed View Post
Now that should be the subject of the next thread!!!! As much as the culture of GC has been bashed here, I believe Sweetwater is wayyyy worse!
I'm surprised you had bad experiences with them... they put SERIOUS effort into training their employees and have a legit tech support department, which you can't say for many (if any) other stores. Their prices are SLIGHTLY higher maybe, but their service is great. I bet if you really had a bad experience and email them "attn Chuck Surak" (owner) he'll make it right.

Danny Gold
MySpace.com - polystar - BOSTON, Massachusetts - Alternative / Electronica / Folk Rock - www.myspace.com/polystarmusic
Wiz
4th January 2008
Old 4th January 2008
Wiz
Gear interested

Here is an old story for you, from when I plugged up my first computer ever.
Phone to local store
Me: Hi I just bought a Commodore 64 and came home just to find out it doesn´t work
Him: Did you read the manual before connecting it up?
Me: Nah I just hooked it up
Him: Did you read the "For those that cant stand manuals"-quickguide?
Me: Nah I just hooked it up
Him: You did plug in the AC adapter?
Me: Sure just plugged it directly into the back of the C64 in the middle, but nojoy. Its all dead. No power
Him: Thats the paralell port
Me: Pardon?
Him: Thats the paralellport. The AC goes into the side. Similar looking inputs but...
Me: Ah dorn mybad (dropping phone, replugging, powering up)
Me: Thanks, it still works
Him: Read the manual, it really is helpful
Me: Sure (tossing the manual in the bottom of the box) Bye and thanks again

I´ve gone miles in the right direction since then; that was early 80s.
5th January 2008
Old 5th January 2008
Gear nut

I get the irritation with these people being pretty stupid, but there a number of factors that play into it.

1. Commissioned Sales - not making any money for a couple of weeks can drive you to bs about something that's really beyond your expertise when you need to sell something. Not lying. Just giving an uneducated opinion

2. High turnover - a lot of these people have only been there a few months. They're young and have a limited scope of experience. They know all about the mackie mixers and the sm58's, but when you ask them about something really nice they're likely to have never used it. Don't expect educated opinoins on gear from most of them

Sometimes you're seeing lack of experience with the exact scenario you're talking about, or they've only worked with like three different mics and 1 mixer, so they don't understand some of the terminology you're throwing at them. I was there. I worked in the Sam Ash in Cleveland years ago, and I had a basic understanding of pro audio, but little real experience. It usually didn't matter because the customers knew far less than myself. I got asked for all sorts of ridiculous patch cables that don't exist, bands would come in and tell me they have $500 for a complete PA system or they'd want to know how to run their vocals through the lead guitarist's amp. They'd ooh and ahh about the great sound of the EV eliminator speakers or some other such piece of crap. If somebody came in looking at studio gear, however, I was on the other end of the snooty chuckles.

Some of them are really idiots. I'm just saying take it easy on the ones that are young and learning.

That being said, I was at a different Sam Ash a few weeks back and noticed somebody telling a customer that the EV ND767a they were buying was better than any of the expensive mics in the studio room for laying down tracks, in his opinion. *sigh* There were some decent mics in there.
5th January 2008
Old 5th January 2008
Gear Head

This will be my last post in this thread and it's gonna be long.
I've decided that no matter how inconvenient or expensive, I will drive across the state to a mom and pop store for 1 rack screw rather than give these companies my money. That being said, here is the final straw. Sunday Dec. 17, I want to get my seven year old nephew (My avatar) a 1/2 scale guitar for Christmas. I went to the Sam Ash store where I was immediately shown one of the salesman's "Favorites" for around 600. I explained to him that there was one for 24.00 on the website (I'm not being cheap, I spend ALL my money on gear, but come on he's seven.) He said "We don't carry that in the store and he'd be better off with a quality guitar". And, "if I was really that "Cheap", maybe the Internet was the best place for me". I've gotten really good at controlling my anger BTW. 10 minutes later at GC I was taken straight to a 400.00 1/2 scale, so I just left. I went home to my computer and ordered the 24.00 guitar from GC online because it was "in stock" and could ship that day. I also paid extra for 2 day delivery, this was Sunday. Wednesday came around,no guitar then Thurs, Friday I called to see where it was, I was told by the helpful stoned high school kid in customer service (after he finally found my order) that "If it shipped, it'll probably get there" but he couldn't find the tracking number on the order. Sat. I phoned the 866 number again, by the time I hung up after being put on hold forever the cellphone said 1 hr 28 min. Sun, Mon, Christmas - no guitar (My nephew got a picture of a guitar) Wed, Thurs, Friday I finally get an email saying it shipped and given a tracking number. It arrived New Years Eve and all was well, I even recorded him playing the acoustic version of the intro to "Wasted Years" That I taught him. But to top off the story, it was shipped from the Dean factory 15 miles from my house! This is not made up, I can point out the salesman, The order receipt, the emails, the cellphone log, even get my family and studio co workers to attest to this. I will continue to be amused by this thread and wish all of you good luck and Godspeed in dealing with the hard, cold, reality that is the new corporate (Sub)standard, salespeople who don't know s**t, managers that don't care, customer service reps who don't give a f**k, and ceo's who are only interested in their yearly bonus, and most of all, because they treat us like idiots.

Thank You for your time,
Scuba
10th January 2008
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

went to guitar center today for some small stuff and one of the dudes in the gtr section asks if he can help me. totally curious to how he would respond i jokeingly said i am looking at amp heads but you dont seem to have anything really good here. just the usual marshall peavey and mesa, he said "well what are you looking for?" i said bogner/engl/diezel.... he said "well we do have an amp here that is the same thing as a bogner......he takes me to a LINE6 1X12 COMBO!!!! then he says its the same thing and its made by bogner!!!!!

WTF???????????
10th January 2008
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

how about "stupid things you've been sold at guitar center"? I was once convinced at a young age by one of their drum "experts" to buy an evans J1 etched drumhead for my snare drum. Sounded terrible. I believe that was the day I learned 99% of GC employees don't know jack shit, yet still feel qualified to give you advice.
10th January 2008
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
he said "well we do have an amp here that is the same thing as a bogner......he takes me to a LINE6 1X12 COMBO!!!! then he says its the same thing and its made by bogner!!!!!
Well, it's not quite made by Bogner and it'd certainly not the same thing, but the power amp section of the new Spider Valve amps was indeed designed by Bogner. The front end is still Line 6 but they do have a real Bogner-designed tube amp section and they actually sound pretty impressive...I don't think Reinhold Bogner would have put his name on anything he didn't believe was up to snuff...
10th January 2008
Old 10th January 2008
Gear maniac

How about being told absolutely nothing?

I walked into a GC this evening, straight to the Recording Gear department. I passed 3 different employees as I walked up to stare at the glass counter with the preamps and mics in it. Not a word from any of them......., looked right at me and not a word. One went in the back, presumably on break, the other walked out to the front of the store and I'm not sure where the 3rd one went. I stood staring at that gear for close to 5 minutes, not a peep from anyone. I turned around and walked right out the front door, money still in my wallet.

All 3 of them were employees I have never seen before. I know I am 52 and pretty much invisible to anyone under 30 anymore, but you would think one of them would have the smarts to figure "old guy = $ on hand" and at least ask if they could help. If they had looked up my name and seen what I have spent in that store over the last 3 years, maybe they would have been more motivated.

I thought about complaining about it, but what's the point? It's like complaining about bad service at a McDonalds.

This was the store in South Austin. That store used to have a great employee, but he moved away..........

bilco
10th January 2008
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismokind View Post
I've decided that no matter how inconvenient or expensive, I will drive across the state to a mom and pop store for 1 rack screw rather than give these companies my money. That being said, here is the final straw. Sunday Dec. 17, I want to get my seven year old nephew (My avatar) a 1/2 scale guitar for Christmas. I went to the Sam Ash store where I was immediately shown one of the salesman's "Favorites" for around 600. I explained to him that there was one for 24.00 on the website (I'm not being cheap, I spend ALL my money on gear, but come on he's seven.) He said "We don't carry that in the store and he'd be better off with a quality guitar". And, "if I was really that "Cheap", maybe the Internet was the best place for me". I've gotten really good at controlling my anger BTW. 10 minutes later at GC I was taken straight to a 400.00 1/2 scale, so I just left. I went home to my computer and ordered the 24.00 guitar from GC online because it was "in stock" and could ship that day. I also paid extra for 2 day delivery, this was Sunday. Wednesday came around,no guitar then Thurs, Friday I called to see where it was, I was told by the helpful stoned high school kid in customer service (after he finally found my order) that "If it shipped, it'll probably get there" but he couldn't find the tracking number on the order. Sat. I phoned the 866 number again, by the time I hung up after being put on hold forever the cellphone said 1 hr 28 min. Sun, Mon, Christmas - no guitar (My nephew got a picture of a guitar) Wed, Thurs, Friday I finally get an email saying it shipped and given a tracking number. It arrived New Years Eve and all was well, I even recorded him playing the acoustic version of the intro to "Wasted Years" That I taught him. But to top off the story, it was shipped from the Dean factory 15 miles from my house! This is not made up, I can point out the salesman, The order receipt, the emails, the cellphone log, even get my family and studio co workers to attest to this. I will continue to be amused by this thread and wish all of you good luck and Godspeed in dealing with the hard, cold, reality that is the new corporate (Sub)standard, salespeople who don't know s**t, managers that don't care, customer service reps who don't give a f**k, and ceo's who are only interested in their yearly bonus, and most of all, because they treat us like idiots.

Thank You for your time,
Scuba

That sucks man. I work at the Plano store and would never show a $400 guitar to someone that is buying for a seven year old (how the hell can a 7 year old easily get around on a neck that wide??). I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Whenever I hear these stories, I wish I was just right down the road so I could make it up to you. I know you've given up on Guitar Center, but if you every do need anything from us again, let me know.

To the guy that wondered about the Bogner; Like the guy mentioned above, there were sections of that Line 6 amp that were designed by Bogner. I doubt Bogner would allow their logo to be on a Line 6 amp if it sucked.

I have ALWAYS hated Line 6. The tone on a Line 6 makes me want to vomit. But when I heard the Spider Valve, I actually dug it. It's not a bad price either. I think the 2X12 is like $800. That's reasonable. It's not an Uberschall (spelling??), but it has "hints" of the Bogner sound. It's something about the way the tubes break up. I can't explain it.
10th January 2008
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Well, i wasnt told this by an employee, but I overheard a customer ask this gem of a question:

customer:
"Hi, do you guys have any used guitars in stock?"

employee:
"Um, no im sorry we dont"

customer:
"can you order me one?"

classic....

all the best,
Sean
10th January 2008
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman72 View Post
went to guitar center today for some small stuff and one of the dudes in the gtr section asks if he can help me. totally curious to how he would respond i jokeingly said i am looking at amp heads but you dont seem to have anything really good here. just the usual marshall peavey and mesa, he said "well what are you looking for?" i said bogner/engl/diezel.... he said "well we do have an amp here that is the same thing as a bogner......he takes me to a LINE6 1X12 COMBO!!!! then he says its the same thing and its made by bogner!!!!!

WTF???????????

Yeah the Spider Valve's power section is designed by Bogner and it even says so right on the front of the amp so apparently(even though he wasn't exactly right) he was more knowledgable about the product than you. However the damn thing doesn't sound a thing like a Bogner.
11th January 2008
Old 11th January 2008
Gear Head

I can appreciate both sides of this. I sold mid-level bicycles for a while, even though I'm not into cycling. I needed a job at that period of my life, and that worked.

A few coworkers became annoyed that I wasn't a cyclist, but like I said, I needed the job. Still, I tried to learn as much as possible, and let people know when I didn't have an answer. To this day, I know more about bikes than most people that have ridden them in the past year.

All in all, things worked there. I was grateful for those with a lot of product knowledge, and I helped as much as possible with the grunt work: ordering supplies, faxing warranty forms, making trips to the print shop: stuff that the real cyclists didn't want to do so that they could focus on bikes.

anyway:

THE GUITAR CENTER STORY

I don't know much about recording. I try to read up as much as my life permits. I was in guitar center a few years ago, and assumed the guy in pro audio knew what he was talking about. I was about to lay down some serious money on recording equipment when I was saved (praise the lord)!!

In the middle of a conversation with the "pro audio" guy, another customer came up beside me and said something that contradicted the GC peon. The peon countered what the customer said, to which the customer said to the GC guy:

"well, ok. maybe your right. I don't know. I'm just trying to help using what knowledge I've accumulated working as an engineer for (huge new york area radio station) for 18 years.

This shut the GC guy up real fast, and I never saw him again. Ended up buying some stuff at far less than I would have otherwise.

Moral: If you see some guy getting suckered, consider helping him out. He'll be grateful.
11th January 2008
Old 11th January 2008
Gear Head

12th January 2008
Old 12th January 2008
Gear Head

This was at a local music store that had grown pretty large over the years, and expanded to one or two locations. It was an ok place for what it was, but the guys were dicks. Basically, if you weren't a major act, or weren't willing to drop at least $400 on one purchase, you were nothing. Want to buy a mic stand? tough. If you waited around for 20 min., maybe someone would help you. This was in western connecticut, by the way. If you're from the area, I'm sure you can guess what store this was. On the plus side, the service department was top notch.

The place seems to have gotten better as their luster has worn off. Now there's a pretty good chance someone will talk to you.

anyway, THE STORY

A few years ago I happened to be in the store. I was just getting into midi, and saw a midi guitar. it happened to be set up, and was even turned on, so I decided to mess with it.

I was checking out various tricks, pretty involved with what I was doing. I'm startled as some dude comes out of no where and is suddenly in my face. Wayyy to much energy. seemed like he was coked up or something. He looked the part of the 90s metal head (long hair, etc.). All of a sudden he launches into a five minute pitch that was something like this, but longer. I do remember the key points (especially the ending):

"Hey! you found the midi guitar! I can't believe how much *ss that thing kicks! listen! it sounds like a trumpet! wait! hit the button and now it's a violin! These things are everywhere! You NEED to get one! Ever watch a nature show like national geographic?!! all those geese and bears and whatever running around with glorious symphonies in the background! you think you're hearing violins, but guess what? IT'S NOT!!! It's midi guitar!!!!!!!!"

I simply stared at him the whole time, wondering if this whole episode was somehow precipitated by a breakdown in modern medicine. Maybe it was but a small symptom of the looming collapse of western civilization. When he finished, I simply said "ok."

I went back to playing, and the guy, finally, wandered off.
12th January 2008
Old 12th January 2008
Gear interested

You've gotta read this...

I walk up to the pro audio department main counter...

ME: Hi, I just need a 1/4" 2 conductor plug

GC: uuuhhh....we don't sell those

ME: Are you sure?

GC: (Blank stare)

ME: I'm talking about the little thing on the end of a guitar cable

GC: (Lights Up)..OH.....ahh.....yeah.. we don't sell those

ME: (looking at a plastic bin right behind him) Aren't those them behind
you in that bin?

GC: No thats all spare parts

ME:I'm pretty sure thats them in the 2nd box..

GC:(Finally turns around to look) OH, these ??

ME:(Blank stare)....just ring me up...

***standard GC experience***
12th January 2008
Old 12th January 2008
Gear interested

Da otha side

Dang guys I seriously feel bad about your awful G.C. experiences, I personally hate nothing more than sh1tty customer service.

I work at a GC in southern california and we're all pretty helpful. Our manager is a maniac about the crew's product knowledge and above that taking care of customers, and our store is pretty slow so i guess that helps too. We also engage customers in a kick back manner, we just say whats up and we'll be around then let custys be, then hit them up every once in a while to see their taken care of. We're all pretty uniform with our policies/procedurs. Doesnt sound like most other GC's are like us...

I agree, some guys are morons, most of you are getting the noobie who just started 5 minutes ago, and knows only about his rig (recording/keys/gtrs) and isn't too gear saavy yet.

Some guys are morons yes, but most are new and confused in life haha.
12th January 2008
Old 12th January 2008
Gear Head

12th January 2008
Old 12th January 2008
Gear maniac

Just to offer some balance here.....

It is really easy to paint with a broad brush and I have done it as much in this thread as anyone else.......

but....

it all comes down to individual people and finding one that you can build a relationship with that works for both of you.
I was e-mailed twice by bexarametric after he read about how I was treated in one of the GCs the other night. He was really sincere about wanting to make sure that I was taken care of and offered to work with me long distance if I couldn't get the service I needed in Austin. That makes all the difference in the world. I just have to find someone with that level of dedication to customer service here......
For what it's worth, there are some mom and pop stores here that I will NEVER set foot in again..... Thanks bexarametric, bilco
12th January 2008
Old 12th January 2008
Lives for gear

Me: Yeah, I`d like some cereal and some ammo...
GC: ... Sry?
Me: Cereal and ammo...
GC: *Blanck stare*
Me: Cereal for breakfast... Ammo to kill people...
GC: I`m sry sir, but I`m afraid we don`t sell those products in this store.
Me: *SPIT FIRE THROUGH MY MOUTH*
GC: *acting scared*
Me: Just give me some cereal and some ammo...
GC: Well sir, as I said before we don`t sell those products. But I can point you a few places that do sell them.
Me: Yeah, cereal and ammo.
GC: *points me some places*
Me: *waiting*
GC: *lookin dumb*
Me: *still waiting*
GC: *Still looking dumb*
Me: So, you gonna get my stuff or what?
GC: I would, but my boss doesn`t let me leave the store while I`m working.
Me: *BIG LOUD FLAMING FART THAT SETS THE WHOLE STORE ON FIRE*
GC: *looking embaraced*
Me: I need some cereal and ammo...
GC: ...
Me: *FIRE COMMING OUT OF ALL MY BODY HOLES*
GC: *walks away*

Hate those GC pricks
14th January 2008
Old 14th January 2008
Gear interested

My 2 Cents:
Cent One- A lot of these stories are really funny. I work at a music retailer (NOT GC) and have gotten requests for Krog Trinitrons, Reasons, The Pro Tool, and believe it or not, a "Hammer Dewclimber" ...It took me a minute too lol.
Cent Two- I have run the audio department at this unnamed Non-GC Retailer in King of Prussia, PA for several years and one of my biggest pet peeves is with staff who BS customers. Personally, I would rather say "i don't know" than get someone the wrong thing. Especially in the audio business, the purpose of this gear is to MAKE YOU MONEY and if it doesn't work it WON'T and if I was BS'ing you it was MY FAULT. I don't allow this kind of junk from myself or my employees. I have been a semi-pro (meaning sometimes i actually get paid more than the beer i drink) musician for many years and i sure as heck haven't used everything! I would rather develop a relationship built on honesty with people than make a couple of extra bucks- it's a lot more rewarding in the end. Sorry about the rant, but I have heard the folks I work for compared to GC on this thread, and while this kind of awful customer service may be (well definitely is considering some of the winners i've met) true of some of our locations, it damn well isn't true of mine- I just wish i could smack the rest of them around.
The moral? Don't generalize. There are probably good people to deal with everywhere, maybe even at a GC.......

On a lighter note, there is a can of Beets on my drum machine display for those who want to make them.....I also built an AC to XLR and AC to TS cable and left them out....can't find the "electric" guitar cable though- I think someone stole it.
14th January 2008
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
On a lighter note, there is a can of Beets on my drum machine display for those who want to make them.....I also built an AC to XLR and AC to TS cable and left them out....can't find the "electric" guitar cable though- I think someone stole it.
Great post! I've been wondering how to make beats. Pass the can please...

Maybe you can test prospective employees - ask them what those cables go to... And be careful of the ones who actually try to plug them in! Then you can ask them to go find an Air Guitar in the warehouse or catalog...

L
14th January 2008
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

At an LandM in Ontario I heard a sales man tell a customer that "if your mixing jungle you will want a monitor with a scooped out mid section because only the highs and lows are important".
14th January 2008
Old 14th January 2008
Gear addict

I'll throw in something good to the batch:

I recently ordered a Pacifica through GC (Nashville), and there was a manufacturer hold up for about 3 weeks. Having talked about getting this preamp for a year, obviously I was pretty antsy about getting it ASAP, but my sales guy made it worth while with some price breaks on other items I needed.
14th January 2008
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

GC report....
I just called asking for a Sound FX Library Package (bunch of samples) for use in a film.... this idiot said "well... what DAW are you using?" ..... "Well, I would recommend Waves."

(no... I need samples.)

"Yea... they sound great. I use'm all the time."

14th January 2008
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
My 2 Cents:

Cent Two- I have run the audio department at this unnamed Non-GC Retailer in King of Prussia, PA for several years and one of my biggest pet peeves is with staff who BS customers.
Hm, you wouldn't happen to be the guy at Sam Ashe in KOP, who got pissed off at me because I was evaluating monitor stands for stability, would ya?

I sure hope not, cause you lost a sale that night...and then some.
14th January 2008
Old 14th January 2008
Gear maniac

well Ive had a guy @ GC tell me to run a preamp (like a LA-610 just for example) str8 into a bass cabinet for my bass...I asked him if i need a poweramp too...he said no...i told him it wouldnt get enough power then...he said run 2 preamps and daisy chain them together...LOL...Im laughin just thinkin about it right now...lol...

I heard to work there u have to be able play a scale on ur instrument and for the pro audio guys just hook up a midi controller or keyboard and get sound...thats like ur ultimate test...lol...
14th January 2008
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismokind View Post

Thank You for your time,
Scuba
Damn... Did you get Blade or Willie on the phone?
Reminds me of The Touch Tone Terrorists.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search