lomky
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Gear nut

Nirvana on American Idol?

9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

"The insider reveals, "Since Courtney Love owns the rights to Cobain's songs, they (producers) figured that the best way to get her permission was to invite her on the show.""

Isn't that the only reason why anybody wants her around?

dfegad Courtney Love
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

dfegad I could use her as a punchbag. But I wouldn't. Because it would be wrong. And she would whup my ass. I seem to remember there was a Nirvana track in an international version of the show a couple of years back or something. They dug up some stoopid pretend rocker with a cucumber in his pocket to do some really cute pretend-satanic hand gestures and go on about being rebellious or something. He didn't win. I think they found a clause in the contract saying bodysnatchers weren't allowed or something. He had probably never even seen a guitar before. These people should be shot in utero...

Where the hell is the ghost of Bill Hicks when you need it?! (Probably doing stand-up in Iraq.)
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Gear addict

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomanmoomin View Post
Where the hell is the ghost of Bill Hicks when you need it?!
Amen to that.

(and this from a guy who actually has music on American Idol!)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1474821/TLL%20approved%20art/TLL-facebook-coverphoto_850px.jpg

"After silence that which expresses the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post

dfegad Courtney Love
I gotta say that when she finally got Hole up to speed, they were one of the great bands of that decade. And when they started they couldn't play their way out of a paper bag.

The first two albums still rock like nobody's business.

I dig that she rocked hard. And not "for a girl", she just rocked hard.

She knew that to properly attack an electric guitar, you gotta plant your feet right. I'll give her props anyday.

She could scream with the best of the boys. Sure, she seems a little "out there" today, but she was the real dea.

The record she did with Paul Kolderie had some rage in it.
lomky
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I gotta say that when she finally got Hole up to speed, they were one of the great bands of that decade. And when they started they couldn't play their way out of a paper bag.

She knew that to properly attack an electric guitar, you gotta plant your feet right. I'll give her props anyday.

She could scream with the best of the boys. Sure, she seems a little "out there" today, but she was the real dea.

I gotta agree w/ most of this, but, the Courtney hate fest is fueled by what she is doing w/ Nirvana. I mean come on a Nirvana night on American Idol??!! I'm sure I'll watch because I'm a Reality TV Junkie (I know I know). But I will probably be puking in my mouth a little.

On the flipside, they did some pretty cool Nirvana songs on that Rockstar show. But IMO that's a diffrent animal, and I think the "House Band" is killer.
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Gear addict

Quote:

I totally agree with you!! "Live Through This" is a badass sounding record with lots of attitude and some great gtr work and tone by Eric Erlandson and C. Love.
10th February 2007
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

thats cause kurt wrote her songs fer her...after she offed him, Hole went into tha crappa

"Run to the hills, run for your lives."
-Iron Maiden
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
thats cause kurt wrote her songs fer her...after she offed him, Hole went into tha crappa
Actually, I don't hear it. Nirvana songs are pretty distinctive. For example, the typical Nirvana bridge can sound pretty "tacked on" like a sudden hairpin turn. Bridges in Hole songs are a lot more integral. Also, the relationships between the melodies and the chords are totally different. If she were a guy, would people be questioning whether or not she wrote the songs?
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, I don't hear it. Nirvana songs are pretty distinctive. For example, the typical Nirvana bridge can sound pretty "tacked on" like a sudden hairpin turn. Bridges in Hole songs are a lot more integral. Also, the relationships between the melodies and the chords are totally different. If she were a guy, would people be questioning whether or not she wrote the songs?
a lot of the production was butch vig. The whisper/scream thing, Im an angry poet, strum verse into rock-hook is all kurt all day. If he didn't flat out write the material, I have no doubt he was putting in parts and pushing the sound on those first two records. It doesn't matter at all whether C.Love was a girl, guy or somewhere in between; that whole time was shadowed by Nirvanas success. Look at Dave Grohl...the dude is a KILLER drummer and a good song writer, I thought the Foo's first album had great material, but he'll always pale in comparrison to how f**kin hard Nirvana rocked. Hole too, for that matter...
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

I tend to agree that it's only when Courtney is (arguably) 'meddling' with Nirvana stuff that she most deserves to have pins stuck in a waxen effigy of herself and then be forced to eat it. Without chewing. I think it's kinda cool she came along (well hey, I like PJ Harvey and stuff). It's just a shame she had to go and sell Nirvana down the river.
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

reality check

She didn't sell them down the river, Cobain did. If he was alive none of this shit would be happening. If you want to be angry, be angry at him, not the people in his life that chose to hang on. She went out and did her own thing on her terms without Cobain. She had to deal with all the emotional bullshit that followed and on top of that raise thier children. I know she's got issues (don't we all?) but to pile on her beacause of his f&*$ed up lifestyle and bad decision making is wrong.
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Courtney = whatever
'American Idol' = selling all music down river
Courtney killing Kurt = dubious conspiracy theory
Kurt selling Nirvana down river = I'm not convinced
Conflating all 'angry' messages and attacking them and their authors as one = cheap shot

If you read our posts with an open mind, you'll find we're mainly attacking her because the whole 'American Idol' thing seems bizarre and distasteful to a helluva lot of people who have ever liked Nirvana. (Will somebody be singing 'Rape Me' in the final? I don't think so. Will anybody be as direct a performer as Kurt? Nope.) We don't have to hate Courtney or her music, or care about her issues, to be unhappy about the 'American Idol' thing. Also, it's not the first time she has been involved in some strange games involving Nirvana releases. (I'm not convinced 'You Know You're Right' was a good reason for all the hype, and extra units sold, a few years ago.)

Anyway, I hardly think Courtney needs defending. She seems to be as tough as old boots, under the surface.

I can imagine a world in which the estate of Frank Zappa (Gail or Ahmed or Dweezil or whoever) decided to make a few extra bucks and played around with the rights to his music. Maybe somebody would take the decision to feature 'Cosmik Debris' (apart from the reference to 'going down') or something else vaguely capable of broadcast as a party piece on 'American Idol'. I think that would be very strange, though poignant in a stoopid art-school post-modern kind of way.

Well, that's about how strange the Nirvana thing here seems to me... and if the Zappa thing were to happen, I would think it reasonable to be very disappointed with the custodians of his estate, great people though they may be...
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdiggy View Post
She didn't sell them down the river, Cobain did. If he was alive none of this shit would be happening. If you want to be angry, be angry at him, not the people in his life that chose to hang on. She went out and did her own thing on her terms without Cobain. She had to deal with all the emotional bullshit that followed and on top of that raise thier children. I know she's got issues (don't we all?) but to pile on her beacause of his f&*$ed up lifestyle and bad decision making is wrong.
Agreed. Nicely said.

A buddy of mine used to play bass with Courtney. One day, at rehearsal, he was complaining about wrist pains thinking he may be developing carpal tunnel or something. She actually paid for her doc to come down to the rehearsal to check out my friend's wrist and discuss the symptoms.

Anyone here had someone do that for you (besides your mom)?

Don't believe the hype.
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burst View Post
Amen to that.

(and this from a guy who actually has music on American Idol!)

Wait one minute. You've got music on American Idol?!

You get no say pal, sorry
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Jazzpunk,

Woom,

I understand your points, but the fact is, she was his wife. Courtney has every right to exploit the estate in any way she sees fit. That's the reality of it. Do I agree with all her decisions? No. Do I agree with everything Yokos done? No. Do I agree with with everything Lisa Maria's done?. No... and on and on.

These artist and more importantly their music WAS and IS a part of our culture. This makes their contributions inherently vulnarable to all the bastardization, exploitation and outright enialation by those that survive them. Once it's a part of popular culture all bets are off. I'm probably older than you and I'm here to tell you that I never wanted to hear most of the 80's and 90's music again. Especially not over and over and over and over again in commercials. Sad thing is most of these writers and musicians are still living. Gotta pay the bills.

My point is... Nirvana was your special underground find that you and your friends enjoyed. We ALL did. We wish we could keep all of our heroes mummified in our closets in the name of self validation however, it's not going to happen. Maybe it's time you found something or someone else to help you define who you are musically.

May I suggest Miles Davis or mabye Clifford Brown. Coltrane was no slouch either.

Peace!
Bdiggy

P.S. As far as her judging on Idol... she couldn't be any worse or drunker than Paula.
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Gear addict

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Wait one minute. You've got music on American Idol?!

You get no say pal, sorry
Well, in my defense, I did say a hearty 'amen' to bringing back the ghost of Bill Hicks!

I certainly wouldn't want to weigh in on this topic only to have someone find out later that my music is all over Idol.
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

I ain't saying Kurt's remains should be put pumped full of formaldehyde or Jesus joose and stuck in a mausoleum with Chopin's Funeral March forever playing in the background as the hundreds of thousands of punkoid kid-things walk past. I wasn't that big a fan of the group when Kurt was actually around. Hell, I'm not even that big a fan now, but I do think Nirvana captured something of the essence of rock 'n' roll, something they kept, something that goddamn lo-carb programmes like 'American Idol' do their evil best to trim away like so much excess fat or something. (Ranty ranty rant rant!)

Granted, Courtney may be a wonderful woman, and she may of course do whatever she wants with the music, but 'American Idol' still sucks hairy tumours, and if Kurt were alive today, maybe just maybe he'd be turning in his grave.

(Beam me up, Bill Hicks!)
11th February 2007
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomanmoomin View Post
I ain't saying Kurt's remains should be put pumped full of formaldehyde or Jesus joose and stuck in a mausoleum with Chopin's Funeral March forever playing in the background as the hundreds of thousands of punkoid kid-things walk past. I wasn't that big a fan of the group when Kurt was actually around. Hell, I'm not even that big a fan now, but I do think Nirvana captured something of the essence of rock 'n' roll, something they kept, something that goddamn lo-carb programmes like 'American Idol' do their evil best to trim away like so much excess fat or something. (Ranty ranty rant rant!)

Granted, Courtney may be a wonderful woman, and she may of course do whatever she wants with the music, but 'American Idol' still sucks hairy tumours, and if Kurt were alive today, maybe just maybe he'd be turning in his grave.

(Beam me up, Bill Hicks!)
HaHa LOL good post....

But wait a minute.... wasn't Idol an export from YOUR side of the puddle. I believe it was. Hmmm how freakin ironic!!!
12th February 2007
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Darn, where is the 'ashamed' smiley?! LOL
12th February 2007
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

LOL

Cheers!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search