Your best CDR Brand for Master/recording etc?
Lexicondonn
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear addict

Your best CDR Brand for Master/recording etc?

Just wondering what you guys concider to be the best brand of CDR/ DVD etc for burning, recording backup etc.....?

We just use the Maxell Pro CD's which seem to be fine I guess. Is it really worth sepnding that extra for HHB, Quantegy, Apogee?
t_d
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
t_d
Lives for gear

there are some threads about this around here i think... do a search....

i've heard that Taiyo Yuden's are pretty reliable... and i do buy those when i can.

actually, i've used all sorts of brands from Sony to Maxell and have never had a problem with a master.... however, to please clients i will often burn masters on HHB Gold cds. i figure if they're paying me, i might as well give them a product that at least *claims* to be better.

also, i totally don't buy into the myth that some cd-rs SOUND better than others. although, some indeed are probably more reliable than others.

also, keep in mind that although you may be buying "SONY" or "STAPLES" brand cds.. these actual discs are often manufactured by someone else and simply given the particular branded name.
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Head

i swear by TDK and neither I, nor anyone I know have ever had a problem with them.
Jerry Tubb
Verified Member
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicondonn View Post
We just use the Maxell Pro CD's which seem to be fine I guess.
You're already using the best.

Maxell Pro's are Taiyo Yuden discs, made in the Japan plant, triple coated, high QC, etc.

The only downside is that they're branded with the Maxell logo, and cost a little more than the bulk Taiyos.

But they've got to be the "Pro" type, not just the regular Maxells.

Quote:
Is it really worth sepnding that extra for HHB, Quantegy, Apogee?
No, just paying more for the packaging and marketing department.

JT
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear interested

apogee gold series and its due to the jitter and error ratio of these being so low after the burn which can be checked with plex tools and a plextor cd burner. You should check out this info on the cds you use to see what your jitter ratio and errors are on your fav cds.
Darius van H
Verified Member
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Taiyo Yuden's get the job done round here................D
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicondonn View Post
We just use the Maxell Pro CD's which seem to be fine I guess. Is it really worth sepnding that extra for HHB, Quantegy, Apogee?
Why, are you getting bad burns? Afraid some ones are getting chopped off into commas?

Whatever's cheapest and gets the job done.

dfegad "jitter ratio"
Riccardo
Verified Member
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
Taiyo Yuden's get the job done round here................D
Same here, Taiyo Yuden's have proved to be very reliable.
I have used other brands in the past, Apogee a long, long time ago maybe 8 or 9 years ago and Mitsui. Never had (touch wood!) a problem so far.
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear nut

Yep we use Taiyo Yuden's or sometimes TDK
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Spent a lot on Apogee, did BLER testing against best Taiyo Yudens & Mitsuis and don't use Apogee anymore, just unbranded spindles of Tayo Yuden and Mitsui.
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Taiyou Yudens here also. No problems in almost 10 years of using them. I will say that the only brand I ever had a problem with was a batch of Memorex.
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear Head

Another vote for Mitzui Gold: never struck a bad one. I've had several bad batches (they come in batches) of Sony's.
jayfrigo
Verified Member
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006

Verified Member
Taiyo Yuden in a Plextor burner is a tried and tested combination that has performed consistently well for many. It's not the only combo, but it sure is a good one. Different drives can behave differently with different media, and at different burn speeds. The best bet is to try a variety of scenarios and combinations and test the resulting discs to see what works best for you. Test more than one disc in each set up to make sure the result is not just an anomaly. If that's too involved, I'd just get some Taiyos and call it a day.
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

tdk or sony. never had any issues
MASSIVE Master
Verified Member
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Tayios in Plextors.
Thomas W. Bethe
Verified Member
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
TY's and Plextor hard to beat combo.
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear nut

I use Mitsui/MAM-A 74m Gold Thermal with Plextor. They do the job just fine.
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
Tayios in Plextors.
This is what I use as well.

Cheers,
--
Don
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Lexicondonn
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear addict

Hum! As I thought, there are a few opinions on theses too. I reson I ask is one of my clients wan't me to use nothing but HHB. Which he provides me, so I was just wondering what all the hype was about. Because they are a lot more $mulah.

I'd really like to see some proper testing done with these brands because I'm starting to think CDs are like 9 volt batteries, where there pretty much the same just different name. Which by the way we use a lot for our remote units at the radio station; Maxell, or even Canadian Tire brand and they seem to be pretty equal. IMO

By the way, I'm also a big fan of the Black bottom CDR's as they can take a real shitkicking. I love these for data backup.

peace
jamesp
Verified Member
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
As far as I know HHB and Apogee are simply rebranding some flavour of Mitsui discs. Mitsui have been through a few changes over the years and, while their older discs gave me the lowest error rates that I have ever seen, the newer discs give some of the highest error rates that I've seen. However, I have seen ageing tests which suggest that, while their rates are high, they do not get any worse with age. The other problem that I have found with Mitsui's is that they aren't as widely compatible with people's players and broker's error checkers as other makes. So I've moved over to using Taiyo Yudens now.

I would also avoid Sony, Fuji and TDK discs. While some batches are great, others are terrible and you can't always tell whether you are going to end up with a good batch or a bad batch. This is because they use a variety of manufacturers to make their discs and you could strike lucky and find a batch made by Taiyo Yuden or you could be really unlucky and find a batch made by CMC.

Cheers

James.
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

Which Taiyo Yudens?

There're a few varieties of TY CDs and DVDs. Can anyone recommend me cost-effective, reliable models of both? I won't be using an inkjet for printing the top surface.

Cheers thumbsup
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
Taiyo Yuden in a Plextor burner is a tried and tested combination that has performed consistently well for many. .
Had this combo for years. no probs.
jamesp
Verified Member
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
There're a few varieties of TY CDs and DVDs. Can anyone recommend me cost-effective, reliable models of both? I won't be using an inkjet for printing the top surface.

Cheers thumbsup
My latest batch of T-Y inkjet printables are giving me the performance that I would expect from good T-Y discs. I would say that currently you would be safe with any T-Y CD-R's from a reputable dealer.

As for DVD's - I would recommend that you don't go for the 16X discs (which are often sold with a warning that they should not be used in older drives). The lower speed T-Y's give me better error rates.

Cheers

James.
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Gear Head

TY's and Plextor over here - I've got a batch of silver's at the moment that are giving me the lowest error counts I've ever got, like averaging 0.2 C1's / second burnt at 16x.

Cheers
Matthew
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Gear Guru

They're all pretty much the same. Use single, shrink wrapped discs to send for production, though.
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

Taiyo Yuden and Memorex Black

Jules
Verified Member
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Gearslutz.com admin

Taiyo Yuden
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search