Advice needed on mastering
New Reply
Subscribe
Fahjah
14th July 2013
Old 14th July 2013
Gear maniac

Advice needed on mastering

Hey so i'm making this song right now (almost done) and i think it's really good. I feel like the production could be better though. I'm not much of an engineer. It sounds good but i feel like it could be an amazing song if it got some mastering done to it by a professional.. But is it really worth the money? will my song sound that much better? i want to know what you guys think. Thanks!
MASSIVE Master
Verified Member
14th July 2013
Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Send a message via AIM to MASSIVE Master
"It depends...?"
14th July 2013
Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, I'd say it's worth it if you're prepared to spend a bit of time finding the right person to do it for you. The better the mix the better the master so you probably wouldnt want to master the first thing you make on garageband...

But yeah, that aside it's worth it.
14th July 2013
Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

well you say you're "not much of an engineer". so why not hire a proper mix engineer and then worry about mastering later on?
14th July 2013
Old 14th July 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to aszacca
Mastering is about enhacing the characteristics of a Mixdown.
Not to much correction can be made.
Therefore i always tell the client to spend more time on the Mix before coming in to Master.
When the production has finally finished and they are happy with the result,
then the Mastering process will defenitely improve the work done,,alot more..
Mastering can be done with plug-ins,
but,
there is not comparison to the focus and feel that a full analog chain can give to music.

Regards
Fahjah
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear maniac

i'll probably post the song tomorrow.. I think it is good enough. I think i did a good job. I thought the mix was good. If you guys check out and tell me if you think mastering is worth it that'd be great!
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahjah View Post
I feel like the production could be better though. I'm not much of an engineer.
Sounds to me like you have a lot to think about and work on before even considering mastering. It can be difficult at times, but so is any trade with such a mix of technical and artistic aspects. Enjoy the ride!
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahjah View Post
i'll probably post the song tomorrow.. I think it is good enough. I think i did a good job. I thought the mix was good. If you guys check out and tell me if you think mastering is worth it that'd be great!
There's a forum for " please check out my mix"...just FYI. This isn't it here!

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear Head

I think mastering makes a huge difference to the quality of song,and if you are not sure if mastering is worth it or not then simply post your songs to some mastering engineers online who master some part of song as a sample,then you can make a choice who masters the best as well as you can judge if mastering is really worth it.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

It might have so high impact that the mix might be rejected, for the sake of first setting it where it needs to be in terms of quality. This should not be seen as a negative thing at all. It is about ensuring you - the producer - get what you want at the end. It's also about ensuring the mastering engineer has what he needs to do his job efficiently. From the sum of that - in the hands of a skilled engineer - the mastering process will have as great impact as possible. So just as MASSIVE Master claimed, "it depends".
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search