Login / Register

CD 101 - song start/end markers on crossfaded tracks?
New Reply
Subscribe
Nonlinear
11th July 2013
Old 11th July 2013
Gear addict

CD 101 - song start/end markers on crossfaded tracks?

Sorry for the "nubie" question but - is there an industry standard, or at least most common approach, for setting song start and end markers when tracks on a CD are crossfaded?

I don't believe Red Book allows a song END marker to be later in time than the following song's START marker, so no matter where you place them SOMETHING on two crossfaded tracks will be cutoff when shuttling.

I don't run into crossfades very often but have it on a current project. How is this typically done?
MASSIVE Master
Verified Member
11th July 2013
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Send a message via AIM to MASSIVE Master
Just like you'd think. One track is going to end abruptly while the next starts abruptly.

In this "iTunes" age, I try to avoid it if at all possible, but it certainly comes up frequently enough.

Try to put the start marker several frames (6-8, IME is a nice place to be on crossfades, although I tend to go a little longer otherwise) before that first chunk of the next song.

Spoon-feed a newb some answer and he'll mix for a day -
Get him to *think* about it and figure it out for himself and he'll mix for a lifetime --- JS
Nonlinear
11th July 2013
Old 11th July 2013
Gear addict

Thank you.

Yes, it seems the most common approach is to put the marker at the start of the fade in to the next song and not worry about the fadeout of the previous song. That makes sense since someone skipping around would likely play through the crossfaded songs but want to hear the start of each.

The next question is how to measure/document track times when the end of one song overlaps the start of the next? What shows up on the CD track time display won't match the actual run time of each separate song.

???
MASSIVE Master
Verified Member
11th July 2013
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Verified Member
Send a message via AIM to MASSIVE Master
The TOC on the disc is all the player is going to care about. If you want to add a couple seconds to the back cover here and there, I don't think the listener would be angry or anything...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search