How does glue sound?
Old 7th July 2013
Gear interested

How does glue sound?

Can you please describe the effect of compressor "glue"?

If you have any audio examples - Awesome!
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

I think of glue as a sort of dynamic cohesiveness, where everything is tucked in just enough without sounding overtly compressed.
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
I think of glue as a sort of dynamic cohesiveness, where everything is tucked in just enough without sounding overtly compressed.
Yes, cohesive is what I think of. An audio example- strawberry fields forever by the beatles. Or most other good recordings.
Old 7th July 2013
sounds kinda sticky to me!

lol no but in all seriousness, glue doesn't really have a "sound" in and of itself. its more about the difference it provides to your mix. 2bus compression can take a loose and separated mix and make it sound more" together" and tight. but of course depending on the mix/genre, this might not actually be desirable. also, the attack/release times can make a huge difference here.
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear
Good question! Impossible to know until you experience it.

Something sounds glued when the difference between the lowest sounds and highest sounds is closed up. It can be not so easy to do. Some compressors are better than others.

You really notice more if you have the better and after though. It's not like you can always hear somebody's finished product and be like, yeah... I love the glue lol. You can notice how tight it is don't get me wrong, but having the before and after is how you notice it the most.

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 7th July 2013
Gear addict

"Glue" is a vague, relatively meaningless way to describe an instance where a mix sounds better with the implemented compression as opposed to without it.
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

Rounding off the very low and very high to achieve a more circular, smooth mix
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

I think "glue" has become the new "warm". It's a meaningless buzz word out of context and mostly subjective perspective. To "glue" a mix, at least to me, means working to make sure everything sounds like it belongs together. At least 90% of the projects I've mastered that were well glued together had no buss compression at all. I've worked on some projects that had buss compression applied to them that were full well falling apart (no glue) because of poor choices made elsewhere. In that case, the compression just makes my job harder.

Remember, one man's "warm" is another man's "muddy".
Old 7th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 View Post
Remember, one man's "warm" is another man's "muddy".
great point
Old 7th July 2013
Gear addict

Compressors can enhance glue, but I try get glue in the mix, without going to the 2bus processing.
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

If your asking what "glue" is, it must be because you have not noticeably experienced it in your mixes yet. I usually find it (depending in the track and style of music) with about 2db of compression, a medium attack and release. That is not to say this is the magical number as far as attack and release goes, but usually no more than 3db of gain reduction on the 2 bus. You'll notice that, for lack of a better term" the edges of your mix get a little more rounded. Everything seems to dynamically be cohesive. That's my take but it's probably like the story of the blind men describing to each other different ends if an elephant. It will be described differently by different people.
Old 8th July 2013
Music 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvd View Post
Marketing adjective

Still tryin' to figure out why gear that claims to include Mojo cost so much
or if I can get Mojo as an option
Old 8th July 2013
Gear maniac

When I mix to "glue" my tracks or busses together I use SKnote's StripBus.
Strip has an internal ducker and i duck my bassline, and main vocals on my kick drum.
Maybe duck back vocals on other elements and any melodic lines to my snare drum etc.

a little bit of buss compression can finish the job and the track is glued together with all its dynamics and without sounding compressed.

Thats what I do when Im in the mixing process.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear nut

Old 8th July 2013
Gear nut

Hard to describe but easily heard if you take it off. So a before and after sample would be the only way.
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JozTheShark View Post
Hard to describe but easily heard if you take it off.
"Take that glue off – all that cohesion is making me sick!" Seriously, "glue" is not ONE process, it's 100% listening and deciding what to add and what to carve off. Could be compression, could be distortion, could be EQ, reverb, filtering, you name it...
Although I must admit that compression with the right tool might lead to a result more quickly.
Old 9th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
How does glue sound?
"Glue" sounds usually exactly the same as "sh*t".

Sorry... but to be honest my personal opinion is "glue" is the least desirable thing in mixing/mastering. I would describe "Glue" as a side effect but not as a goal... I would always prefer people would go less for "glue" but more for defintion and nice transients.
Old 9th July 2013
Gear maniac

The term is pretty commonly used in connection with the master buss comp. I tend to think of it as taking place when you start pushing the comp to the point where the transients settle into the mix and the ambience in the track increases to the point where it sounds like the session was played together instead of tracked separately. Granted, "glue" is a goal during tracking and involves every variable in the book, but sometimes it gets even better with a little comp on the mix buss. Sometimes it doesn't.
Old 9th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoRausch View Post
"Glue" sounds usually exactly the same as "sh*t".

Sorry... but to be honest my personal opinion is "glue" is the least desirable thing in mixing/mastering. I would describe "Glue" as a side effect but not as a goal... I would always prefer people would go less for "glue" but more for defintion and nice transients.
I am right there with you.

Glue is used to fix things, if your song is broke, you need glue. If it aint, you're good.
Old 9th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
if your song is broke, you need glue.
or duct tape
Old 10th July 2013
Gear maniac

use your nose Luke .... you'll know glue when you sniff it
Old 10th July 2013
Lives for gear

I think what people ofter are referring to when using the word "glue" is a cohesiveness that makes the total mix "one" element and not still a mix (separation?!) of different elements.

A 2-buss compressor helps - if the mix already is working well - to "tuck things in" both dynamically and often also a little bit frequency-wise.

You know when you have "glue", but it's a final attribute of a mix working well together. Bit similar as depth and width...

Regards,
Dirk
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
How does glue sound?
Do you mean during or after its time as a horse?
Old 12th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
I think what people ofter are referring to when using the word "glue" is a cohesiveness that makes the total mix "one" element and not still a mix (separation?!) of different elements.

A 2-buss compressor helps - if the mix already is working well - to "tuck things in" both dynamically and often also a little bit frequency-wise.

You know when you have "glue", but it's a final attribute of a mix working well together. Bit similar as depth and width...

Regards,
Dirk
This one i think.

Glue can help give a subtle uniformity to sounds that otherwise sound disjointed. Its often the sound of the device that is the actual glue, whether its a compressor, reverb or eq.
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

Old 13th July 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:

If you have any audio examples - Awesome!
Multiband compression.

Old 13th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
holy shit man, i thought i was the only one who knew about this band. a friend of mine owned the label that first discovered them
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbraglia View Post
holy shit man, i thought i was the only one who knew about this band. a friend of mine owned the label that first discovered them
You're not alone; I'm a huge fan too .
Old 13th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
You're not alone; I'm a huge fan too .
so what ever happened to them? i should track this guy down and find out.
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, they're great aren't they? Paradox knows everything there is to know about them...you could shoot him a PM if he doesn't return to the thread soon.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search