Wavelab 8.0.2 does not work on WinXP?
Nonlinear
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Gear addict

Wavelab 8.0.2 does not work on WinXP?

I just downloaded the update for my BRAND NEW Wavelab 8 and discovered that WinXP is no longer supported!!

So I just spent $500 on BRAND NEW software that worked literally yesterday as version 8.0.0 but NOT TODAY as version 8.0.2!

This is crap, IMHO. Don't drop OS support midstream. If WinXp wasn't going to be supported DON'T RELEASE IT THAT WAY. If you feel the same please PM PG to fix this. I already did.

BTW - Yes I know WinXP is old and I need to upgrade to Win7/8 but every time I've make an OS upgrade in the past it's been a disaster. About 1/2 of my apps and hardware stop working and have to be repurchased, upgraded, etc. I can't afford that time and expense again right now. My WinXP system works great, don't "F" with it.
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

Did you have problems to run the installer or did Wavelab just crash after you have installed the 8.02 update?

If you have problems to run the installer there is a certain trick to fake a newer Windows. With that trick it's even possible to install Cubase 7 on WinXP (32).
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post

BTW - Yes I know WinXP is old and I need to upgrade to Win7/8 but every time I've make an OS upgrade in the past it's been a disaster. About 1/2 of my apps and hardware stop working and have to be repurchased, upgraded, etc. I can't afford that time and expense again right now. My WinXP system works great, don't "F" with it.
That's because you don't want to upgrade, you need to do a fresh install. Windows 7 is great. There's no reason you shouldn't be using it.
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

For upgrading I'd suggest to build up a new system in parallel.

That means simply put in another HD, pull out the old and install Win7/8. After that put the old HD back in place and use the BIOS to select the HD to boot from.

So you have 2 clean and absolutely separated from each other systems.

You can use XP as long as you want but can build up a new OS in parallel. When the moment has come to switch then you switch.

But I really understand if someone wants to keep his "old" XP. I don't like Win7/8 at all and stick to XP as long as I can...
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

WL 4 and below won't run on Windows 7.
Thomas W. Bethe
Verified Member
7th July 2013
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Interesting discussion here about the WL 8.0.2 update https://www.steinberg.net/forum/view...?f=189&t=44427

As to why I want to run WL 8.0.2 on my XPPRO computer...I have a very good RME Digi96 sound card and really don't want to spend $800 on another card so I can run WL 8.0.2 on Windows 7.

Other people have told me that they are using the RME XP drivers for Windows 7 but I cannot get the card to install on my Windows 7 computer. Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Nonlinear
7th July 2013
Old 7th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoRausch View Post
Did you have problems to run the installer or did Wavelab just crash after you have installed the 8.02 update?
The installer runs, and it looks like everything is good, then it stops saying it can't find "unpack.dll". In other words, the update won't install.

Quote:
If you have problems to run the installer there is a certain trick to fake a newer Windows. With that trick it's even possible to install Cubase 7 on WinXP (32).
PLEASE TELL US!!!
7th July 2013
Old 7th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
If WinXp wasn't going to be supported DON'T RELEASE IT THAT WAY.
i know it's frustrating, but from the first release of wl8 its clearly stated in the system requirements that it needs win7/8.
Thomas W. Bethe
Verified Member
7th July 2013
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
i know it's frustrating, but from the first release of wl8 its clearly stated in the system requirements that it needs win7/8.
Yes but it DID run on Windows XP Pro but since the "update" to 8.0.2 it will not.

Now all of a sudden PG says it was because of something he did to make it more compatible with Windows 7. So if he can do that he can also make it work with Windows XP Pro SINCE it already worked that way.

I personally think it is something in the installer that is screwed up.

FWIW.
7th July 2013
Old 7th July 2013
Gear addict

or you could consider yourself lucky that it worked on xp at all.

it's an old OS. you can't expect people to continue to support it forever. i was surprised to read your previous posts where you got it to work in xp.

i'm in the same boat as you, i'm still running xp. i read the sys reqs for wl8 and thought "well, i guess it's time for a new computer". which i'm going to do in the near future.

you can take the new computer and sound card off your taxes, it's not so bad!
da goose
Verified Member
7th July 2013
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I just downloaded the update for my BRAND NEW Wavelab 8 and discovered that WinXP is no longer supported!!

So I just spent $500 on BRAND NEW software that worked literally yesterday as version 8.0.0 but NOT TODAY as version 8.0.2!

This is crap, IMHO. Don't drop OS support midstream. If WinXp wasn't going to be supported DON'T RELEASE IT THAT WAY. If you feel the same please PM PG to fix this. I already did.

so... why did you want to make the upgrade at all then? Since wl7 xp is no longer supported so you'd expect the new version to work ok on xp?
7th July 2013
Old 7th July 2013
Gear addict

My Studio

I looked several times and could not find "April 1" anywhere on this thread, but surely this is a joke, right?

WaveLab 8 requires Window 7.

What about this is hard to understand?

I suppose you might could manage to make it run on a 30 year old Apple 2, but that doesn't mean it would be supported by Steinberg, nor should it be.

WL8 requires W7...got it?

And there is really no need for any further discussion on this topic...
Greg Reierson
Verified Member
8th July 2013
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
For upgrading I'd suggest to build up a new system in parallel.

That means simply put in another HD, pull out the old and install Win7/8. After that put the old HD back in place and use the BIOS to select the HD to boot from.

So you have 2 clean and absolutely separated from each other systems.

You can use XP as long as you want but can build up a new OS in parallel. When the moment has come to switch then you switch.
This is what I'm doing. I haven't actually installed 8 yet as I'm waiting for more bugs to be worked out but I have a fresh HD with a fresh install of Windows 7 ready to go. Until then I'm using WL6 under the XP boot.
8th July 2013
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
The installer runs, and it looks like everything is good, then it stops saying it can't find "unpack.dll". In other words, the update won't install.

PLEASE TELL US!!!

You need to download the Windows Application Verifier (Download Microsoft Application Verifier from Official Microsoft Download Center).

It has a function called "high version lie" (look at the right side at "combatibility"). While running the installer out of the Application Verifier it fakes a higher version of Windows. At least the installer should run.
Nonlinear
8th July 2013
Old 8th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
or you could consider yourself lucky that it worked on xp at all.

it's an old OS. you can't expect people to continue to support it forever. i was surprised to read your previous posts where you got it to work in xp.

i'm in the same boat as you, i'm still running xp. i read the sys reqs for wl8 and thought "well, i guess it's time for a new computer". which i'm going to do in the near future.

you can take the new computer and sound card off your taxes, it's not so bad!
My issue with the situation is that 8.0.1 works and 8.0.2 does not. Unless the program was completely re-written from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2 - which I doubt - it is probably just a matter of a check box in the compiler options. Someone decided to uncheck the "WinXP compatibility" box. I could be wrong but it's hard to believe there is some special new code in Win7 that WL8 MUST use.

Now why, as a software company, would you want to PURPOSELY limit your applications if it's that simple? Maybe just to emphasize the "cutting edge" of your product such that it "REQUIRES Win7/8"?

There are A LOT of people still using WinXP. Doesn't make good business sense to me.
Nonlinear
8th July 2013
Old 8th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
You need to download the Windows Application Verifier (Download Microsoft Application Verifier from Official Microsoft Download Center).

It has a function called "high version lie" (look at the right side at "combatibility"). While running the installer out of the Application Verifier it fakes a higher version of Windows. At least the installer should run.
Hmm, well I can give it a try but if the application requires Win7 once installed it probably still won't work.

Will let you know. Thanks for the tip!
lu432
Verified Member
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013

Verified Member
I was just about to slide the credit card on WL8 but it looks like I am going to have to wait another 6 months. I bought WL 7 early on and I regretted doing it because there were still a lot of bugs that needed to be worked out on the mac side. I guess I will continue to hold off until I hear less chatter and get some confirmation from some friends that it's all clear and I should not expect any downtime.

WL needs to get a better beta team together so their releases are a lot smoother. They have a great product, but usually it's best to wait before purchasing because it seems they tend to have a lot of bugs upon release.
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Someone decided to uncheck the "WinXP compatibility" box. I could be wrong but it's hard to believe there is some special new code in Win7 that WL8 MUST use.

Now why, as a software company, would you want to PURPOSELY limit your applications if it's that simple? Maybe just to emphasize the "cutting edge" of your product such that it "REQUIRES Win7/8"?
I think some developers out of sheer joy restrict their installers to force people to their personally preferred OS.

I've never seen an explanation by anyone saying their application doesn't support XP because of any comprehensible reason.

It's ok they will not give you any user support if you're still on XP but to force you to other OS's via restricted installers is BS.
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
Gear addict

My Studio

Quote:
I think some developers out of sheer joy restrict their installers to force people to their personally preferred OS.

I've never seen an explanation by anyone saying their application doesn't support XP because of any comprehensible reason.

It's ok they will not give you any user support if you're still on XP but to force you to other OS's via restricted installers is BS.
So, do you go just go out and buy whatever sized tires you feel like and expect them to fit on your car, 'cause, well, they're just tires?

And if you're sick, it's okay for the doctor to prescribe whatever's in stock at the pharmacy, 'cause, well, it's just medicine?

I really find this threat totally unbelievable!

There is a tremendous numbers of differences from one OS to another. And it's really very simple...if a product requires a specific OS and you don't want to buy the OS, then don't buy the product!

Jeez...
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
Lives for gear

Calm down. Software for audio/mastering is by far not as critical as tyres for your car or anything medical though most developers want to see it just that way.

In the past there were so much installers blocking you if you didn't have a certain service pack installed. In reality it took years until the first apps were out that really needed that service pack level to run (properly). I remember Steinberg was amongst the companies forcing you (via their installers) to XP SP2/3 even if everything was running perfectly well at SP1 level.

I'm sure W7/W8 is not really necessary for WL8. So why not let the people go with XP at their own risk? I see no issue there...
Thomas W. Bethe
Verified Member
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdenton View Post
So, do you go just go out and buy whatever sized tires you feel like and expect them to fit on your car, 'cause, well, they're just tires?

And if you're sick, it's okay for the doctor to prescribe whatever's in stock at the pharmacy, 'cause, well, it's just medicine?

I really find this threat totally unbelievable!

There is a tremendous numbers of differences from one OS to another. And it's really very simple...if a product requires a specific OS and you don't want to buy the OS, then don't buy the product!

Jeez...
So you have a car you really love. It is in good condition, less than 10 years old and everything on it works. You get ready to go to the filling station to gas it up. There is a sign on the pump saying "This gas is designed for cars made in 2013" but you put that gas in your car and it runs great. Next month when you go back to the filling station the same sign is on the pump but now your car refuses to run on the new gas. How upset would you be???? Would you immediately go out and get a new car so the gas could work in it. Or would you look for a way to get the NEW GAS to work in your OLD CAR?

If you want an automobile analogy...^^^
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdenton View Post
And it's really very simple...if a product requires a specific OS and you don't want to buy the OS, then don't buy the product!
Steinberg is a good example. For a few years now you get an upgrade price for their applications just for a few months, after that you have to pay for a new full version.

So whenever they bring an update, you HAVE to buy it straight away, regardless of any concerns.
lu432
Verified Member
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013

Verified Member
Progress requires some sacrifices. Catering to Windows XP users at this time in the market is ridiculous. Its a diminishing segment of the population, most of us have moved on to Windows 7.

If your doing this professionally, then your going to have to make some investments in your equipment "to keep up with the Jones". Otherwise you'll have to make due with what your using. Which frankly may not be a bad thing since right now Wavelab 8 its not completely been de-bugged....
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post
Progress requires some sacrifices. Catering to Windows XP users at this time in the market is ridiculous. Its a diminishing segment of the population, most of us have moved on to Windows 7.
No problem with that. No one caters XP users and no one complains about that... but why they have to put a spoke in the wheel of this "diminishing segment of the population"?
lu432
Verified Member
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013

Verified Member
Because its a business, businesses are there to generate income. That is a simple and straight forward answer. Just like I love audio, I am still here to generate an income so I can sustain myself and my family, so is Steinberg. They have employee's (and their families) and shareholders to appease. That doesn't come cheap and it requires decisions to be made that effect the bottom line. Ultimately someone will always be upset by those decisions.
Nonlinear
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post
Because its a business, businesses are there to generate income. That is a simple and straight forward answer. Just like I love audio, I am still here to generate an income so I can sustain myself and my family, so is Steinberg. They have employee's (and their families) and shareholders to appease. That doesn't come cheap and it requires decisions to be made that effect the bottom line. Ultimately someone will always be upset by those decisions.
I understand progress. But Steinberg is not in the business of selling Operating Systems (I don't think). It would seem to me that they would want their latest and greatest software to work in as many places as possible - to sell as many copies as possible. And the fact that WL8.0.0 and 8.0.1 did work in WinXP "by mistake" seems a bit fishy to me. Is the Win7/8 requirement just a marketing ploy to imply "cutting edge"?

How is it that so many other professional audio apps work in all these OSs?
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
mymixisbetterthanyours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG
WaveLab 8's requirement is Windows 7 or Windows 8, this is not something new.
This is described there:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/wa ... loads.html

WaveLab 8.0.2 uses updated tools to make it more optimized with Windows 7 and 8, and that is not compatible with the old Windows XP. Keeping compatibility "for ever" with an old OS, prevents using capabilities found only in new OS.
This are PG's own words.
You can either believe him or believe in a big conspiracy by Steinberg/Yamaha/Microsoft to sell more Win7/8 licenses.
Either way, you can also stay on WL 8.0.1 and keep on using it with XP.

FWIW, I'm stll on MacOS 10.6.8. So no WL8 for me either.
lu432
Verified Member
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013

Verified Member
No, they wouldn't want to support as many operating systems as possible because customer support is expensive. Really expensive, and you want your reps to handle as many calls as possible. Supporting legacy technology or software means you have to field more calls and pay more people to train (pay hourly and then give benefits too) and then support your product(s) which means less profit. So if you think in terms of a bell curve there are only certain amount of people you want to support on either extreme before a product becomes non-profitable and more of an expense.
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
So you have a car you really love. It is in good condition, less than 10 years old and everything on it works. You get ready to go to the filling station to gas it up. There is a sign on the pump saying "This gas is designed for cars made in 2013" but you put that gas in your car and it runs great. Next month when you go back to the filling station the same sign is on the pump but now your car refuses to run on the new gas. How upset would you be???? Would you immediately go out and get a new car so the gas could work in it. Or would you look for a way to get the NEW GAS to work in your OLD CAR?

If you want an automobile analogy...^^^
nah. a better automobile analogy would be you buy a new car that has a big sticker on it saying "this car runs on diesel fuel", and then you wonder why it won't work with regular gas.

i've been running wavelab for as long as you. forever! i started on it back when clinton was president. the first thing i did when wl8 was announced was look at the system requirements. which CLEARLY STATE win 7/8. there's no mention of XP whatsoever. i don't see how anyone can get mad at PG over this.
10th July 2013
Old 10th July 2013
Gear addict

My Studio

So you have a car you really love. It is in good condition, less than 10 years old and everything on it works. You get ready to go to the filling station to gas it up. There is a sign on the pump saying "This gas is designed for cars made in 2013" ...

If I had a car I really loved, that was in good condition, was less than 10 years old and everything on it worked, and the sign on the gas pump said, "This gas is designed for cars made in 2013", you can bet your ass not one drop of that gas would ever make it into my car.

Which is why I very rarely have any kind of a problem with anything I buy or own. I read and follow the manufacturer's instructions and I comply with the manufacturer's requirements for use of the product. Consequently, on those rare occasions when I do have a problem, the manufacturer's tech support people can't point any fingers back at me...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search